Options

The new 'I f***in' feeel like talking about 'Riot Act' thread.

Comments

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I'm definitely not arguing your point. No doubt about it. Riot Act has a MUCH more generic sound than any other Pearl Jam album. It's just that it's not because of time signature or tuning. It's just basic songwriting. Their songwriting on Riot Act sounds much more forced and much less inspired than the other albums.

As for drumming, time signature is not a style. Ghost has a 4/4 time signature. But every drummer plays differently within the 4/4 time signature. You can play off the beats on a 4/4 time....Danny Carey from Tool does this all the time. All 4/4 really means is that there are 4 beats to every measure.

well than alot of people are misguided, and thats a shame.
    Ghost to me is as off timed as i would think
    so i apreciate your input
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    RockKing wrote:
    I'm definitely not arguing your point. No doubt about it. Riot Act has a MUCH more generic sound than any other Pearl Jam album. It's just that it's not because of time signature or tuning. It's just basic songwriting. Their songwriting on Riot Act sounds much more forced and much less inspired than the other albums.

Ok, what would you say causes this more "generic sound"?
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    I dont no shit about playing guitars except what i hear and what answers i get from questions
    i went to look a that article and its not up anymore, he probably did say tone

what would be a good example of a pj song that has lower tuning

I don't really know of any PJ songs that use a lower tuning. For the most part, they are standard, except Stone plays quite a few open tunings. Bands like Alice In Chains and Soundgarden used a lot of lower tunings. AIC was almost exclusively tuned down a half step.

The thing is, you really want to pay attention to tone. Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy all used a darker or "dirtier" tone, whereas on the more recent albums they've been using a cleaner tone. That really affects the feel of the song. And I think that's the point you're trying to make, yes?
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options

If you want a hear song thats not in 4/4 listen to Pushin' Forward Back (not Pearl Jam, but close). The song is in 7/4.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

Honestly? I think Stone and Mike weren't quite on the same page on Riot Act. You don't get those weird rhythm parts butting up with Mike's leads on Riot Act. I think Stone was somewhat off his game on Riot Act. I think Riot Act is a very good Mike album, but not a great Stone album. Whereas, in my opinion, I think on 8 Mike and Stone were both on fire.

The bottom line, though, is that we're still talking about opinion. Maybe the things you like about PJ are different than the things I like about PJ. There's no crime in that. I don't begrudge you for liking Riot Act. I'm just glad that you have a PJ album that means a lot to you, just as I do. Our album preferences are just different, that's all.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

i listened to riot act last night 2 times

there are songs on that album that to me just seem like more basic rock

i like them
    it doesnt mean they suck
    it just means alot of the hard core pj fans dont want those kinda songs
    it doesnt makes us less of a fan, i just think their is a large group of people that have grown to expect certain standadrs and that was not it

maybe its overall production i dont know the perticulars

but you agreed long ago with me and said this is why you like the album

in the music world alot of people dont like pearl jam for the way the other albums sound

its all what you have grown to like and expect

there is no question these guys do differant things on their albums

no more shows
  • Options

And that's fine. Just enjoy the music the way you do. Don't get too wrapped up in the technical aspects of the music. Because, unless you are a drummer trying to play these songs, it's really irrelevant to you what time signature a song is in. All that matters is that you like it. You know?

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    Honestly? I think Stone and Mike weren't quite on the same page on Riot Act. You don't get those weird rhythm parts butting up with Mike's leads on Riot Act. I think Stone was somewhat off his game on Riot Act. I think Riot Act is a very good Mike album, but not a great Stone album. Whereas, in my opinion, I think on 8 Mike and Stone were both on fire.

The bottom line, though, is that we're still talking about opinion. Maybe the things you like about PJ are different than the things I like about PJ. There's no crime in that. I don't begrudge you for liking Riot Act. I'm just glad that you have a PJ album that means a lot to you, just as I do. Our album preferences are just different, that's all.

isnt it safe to say they had this problem on binaurul, but made up for it with creativity
    nais
    of the girl
    sleght of hand
    parting ways
    where on riot act they kept it less creative and it showed more

i have posted numerous times including in yield thread that stone was not himself on either of thos albums and came back to form on 8

no more shows
  • Options
    isnt it safe to say they had this problem on binaurul, but made up for it with creativity
    nais
    of the girl
    sleght of hand
    parting ways

i have posted numerous times including in yield thread that stone was not himself on either of thos albums and came back to form on 8

Um, I actually think that Stone was excellent on Binaural. I think Binaural is the opposite of Riot Act. Riot Act is a great Mike album and a relatively weak Stone album, and I feel like Binaural is an excellent Stone album and a relatively weak Mike album. But 8 is where they finally both got it put back together at the same time, and that's why I think 8 "feels" more like a PJ album than the previous 2.

• Options
    IYosis comment of that album sounding like ten and the others I thought was misguided,

I said I thought it sounded more similar to those albums thane Yield did.
  • Options
    rival and ghost do show some signs of it but han the continuity with mike was missing so the debth in those 2 becomes short

i love stones rif work
    that is the heart of pj
    after eds voice
    when ed chooses to sing diferantly and stone chooses to do diferant hings it leaves a void
    jef, mike and matt are great i love them but their work I can compare to the rest of what i have listened too for 20 years
    and it doesnt makes as much a diferance for me than the other 2
    it doesnt mean i dont love their stuff it just means the other 2 touch me alil more

no more shows
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    And that's fine. Just enjoy the music the way you do. Don't get too wrapped up in the technical aspects of the music. Because, unless you are a drummer trying to play these songs, it's really irrelevant to you what time signature a song is in. All that matters is that you like it. You know?

yes but like anything in life you spend time talking about you want to have some sense of acuracy

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

I agree that Riot Act sounds more like Ten than YIELD does. But then again, I think Ten was not exactly a creative peak for the band, either. I think Ten and Riot Act are both pretty straight forward rock albums. No Code and YIELD are the band's 2 most experimental albums, in my opinion.

• Options
    nais
    of the girl
    sleght of hand
    parting ways

See, the only problem I have with this post is the use of the word creativity. I think that that is too subjectvie. Otherwise I totally agree, but who's to say what is more creative, its a matter of taste.
  • Options
    yes but like anything in life you spend time talking about you want to have some sense of acuracy

I understand. And that's why I wanted to correct some of your inaccuracies in your use of terminology.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    Um, I actually think that Stone was excellent on Binaural. I think Binaural is the opposite of Riot Act. Riot Act is a great Mike album and a relatively weak Stone album, and I feel like Binaural is an excellent Stone album and a relatively weak Mike album. But 8 is where they finally both got it put back together at the same time, and that's why I think 8 "feels" more like a PJ album than the previous 2.

well maybee opinions get in the middle there, but it had the same result

where do you think stone did well on binaurul

no more shows
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I agree that Riot Act sounds more like Ten than YIELD does. But then again, I think Ten was not exactly a creative peak for the band, either. I think Ten and Riot Act are both pretty straight forward rock albums. No Code and YIELD are the band's 2 most experimental albums, in my opinion.

I hear that. I made that comment in reference to saying that I thought that Riot Act was darker than Yield. It was part of a long conversation.

I would definitely agree with you that I think No Code is the band's experimental album. I kind of feel like Riot Act was their mature, we're classic rock now, album.
  • Options
    well maybee opinions get in the middle there, but it had the same result

where do you think stone did well on binaurul

Rival, Light Years, Of The Girl, Grievance, Insignificance, Breakerfall. But yes, it had the same result. This is why Binaural and Riot Act are my 2 least favorite PJ albums.

• Options
    yosi wrote:

well again thats opinion
    sound can be measured in alot of ways
    cant keep lbc do have some ten in it

i think yield reminds me of classic pj
    but its opinion

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I hear that. I made that comment in reference to saying that I thought that Riot Act was darker than Yield. It was part of a long conversation.

I would definitely agree with you that I think No Code is the band's experimental album. I kind of feel like Riot Act was their mature, we're classic rock now, album.

I agree completely.

• Options
    well again thats opinion
    sound can be measured in alot of ways
    cant keep lbc do have some ten in it

i think yield reminds me of classic pj
    but its opinion

Yup, and I think that is what I have been trying to say all along, is that its very subjective.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    See, the only problem I have with this post is the use of the word creativity. I think that that is too subjectvie. Otherwise I totally agree, but who's to say what is more creative, its a matter of taste.

yes experimantation with in what the band had done
    those songs i mentioed you have to admit are on their more creative side vers just rocking out

no more shows
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I agree completely.

Hence, as a classic rock faithfull, my love for Riot Act.
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I understand. And that's why I wanted to correct some of your inaccuracies in your use of terminology.

you are right on and thank you

no more shows
  • Options
    It's a rare thing when people can actually come to terms and agree on this board, but I think we actually accomplished that this morning. Amazing. :)

Now, its time for me to go watch some college football. Have a good one fellas.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:

yes but he emotion on ten is at a very high level

that is where i am coming from with dark
    and production

so i guess its all subjective

ten is straight foward rock

lyrically is almost a rock opera
    riot act is not that

no more shows
  • Options
    yes experimantation with in what the band had done
    those songs i mentioed you have to admit are on their more creative side vers just rocking out

Maybe, I think all of their stuff is pretty creative, but when I think of creative, or maybe experimental, I think of Who You Are, In My Tree, All Night, You Are, W.M.A, songs like that. Again, totally subjective.
  • Options

lyrically is almost a rock opera
    riot act is not that

True. Riot Act is far from a rock opera.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

yes i got that feel somewhat

and alot of fans do not want that

especially when ed is telling people on live interviews that it will be their back to roots album, plays save you before the album comes out which is deiferant than anything on the record and it misled a lot of people

no more shows
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    It's a rare thing when people can actually come to terms and agree on this board, but I think we actually accomplished that this morning. Amazing. :)

Now, its time for me to go watch some college football. Have a good one fellas.

I found this morning to be extremely enlightening. Good conversationing guys. :)

I just can't wait for some baseball. :D