Options

The new 'I f***in' feeel like talking about 'Riot Act' thread.

Comments

• Options
    yosi wrote:
    Don't feel like quoting the your whole post, but from what I gathered (and you may well be right), heavy/edgey is synonymous with punk/punkish rock. I understood edgey as more, something that kind rubs against kind of roughly, If thats the case than I definitely agree with you.

hey whatever
    you guys dont really want to talk music in debth on hear anyway, thats why I have tryed changing my material on hear to bullshit jokes and fucking around.
    Or just the ole bump i love this record post.

Its cute or good girly type stuff like Ed was mad or happy. OR GOOD LOOKIN.

No body on here talks band history, records in real debth except The yield club, and thats why it stays up so much.
    But its all good, I just hate too see you misquided on an album you obviously love and support.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    hey whatever
    you guys dont really want to talk music in debth on hear anyway, thats why I have tryed changing my material on hear to bullshit jokes and fucking around.

No body on here talks band history, records in real debth except The yield club, and thats why it stays up so much.
    But its all good, I just hate too see you misquided on an album you obviously love and support.

I think thats a bit harsh. I certainly love to talk a lot about the music (and bullshit around a lot too). But in all honesty, words like "edgey", "heavy" and "dark" can mean whatever you want, its too subjective (if you use words like "punk" I think that is much more descriptive). I would talk about the writing of the songs, but like I've said, I don't know anything about it. I plan on taking a course in music theory next semester so I can have more of an idea.

Thats also why I talk about the drumming. I've been playing drums for a long time, I know what's going on, and feel more prepared to be able to talk about it. I just don't want to come off sounding like I'm ignorant.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I think thats a bit harsh. I certainly love to talk a lot about the music (and bullshit around a lot too). But in all honesty, words like "edgey", "heavy" and "dark" can mean whatever you want, its too subjective (if you use words like "punk" I think that is much more descriptive). I would talk about the writing of the songs, but like I've said, I don't know anything about it. I plan on taking a course in music theory next semester so I can have more of an idea.

Thats also why I talk about the drumming. I've been playing drums for a long time, I know what's going on, and feel more prepared to be able to talk about it. I just don't want to come off sounding like I'm ignorant.

You always have a sound, dont know how to describe it but its kinda like the albums.

Its not as out in the air or opinionated as you and others make it.

Most of early pearl jam and much of their material sounds dark/gloomy, not up beat is because they write it that way.

They may play alive, or black like a classic zeppelin or bluesy song but the instruments are tuned like a buzzcocks punk song.
    This is what grunge is:
    The fusing togehter of mainstream structured rock/ with punk tuning and off timing.

Light Years is a perfcet example
    It has its moments of rock, and solos and the structure of a classic rock song but
    the timing is off beat, and the chord selection is minor.
    they are are traits in punk music
    If they changed the beat to a more 4/4/ on time beat and used major chords the song wouldnt have that sad drag to it. Like the demo.

you are is tuned way diferant than anything else they have done, sounds almost like a dance song.

On Riot Act they broke alot of their rules.

It is more upbeat, rocking and less dark chord and timing wise.

It should have been called No Code

no more shows
  • Options
    hey whatever

With all due respect, you're sounding like a pretentious idiot. Those terms (edgy? wtf?) are subjective; the above poster is right. And I also agree with the above poster in saying that Riot Act is dark. Indeed, to me also it seems like the 'little brother' of No Code. To be honest, I think to equate 'edgy' with 'loud/punkish' is extremely shallow. Especially when it sounds like you feel as if you hold some monopoly on those terms and their definition.

I'm guessing you've heard Tom Waits. Loud? Punkish? Not really. Edgy? Dark? Hell yes.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    I wasnt trying to be harsh. I was being honest. Your spirt is good, I just get frustrated when people talk grunge this and flannel shirts and say its only dark because you get sad crap.

This music was incorparted to make a statement and it did.

Most of Seattle was playing punk rock in late 80s.
    Very angry music, punk was shut out of the mainstream circiuts.
    So they kept it in Seattle.

Stone Gossards band Green River pushed classic arena rock writing into the scene but used all the ingriedients of what the other punk bands were using.

Than mother love bone added a metal sound.
    Than pearl jam added a folk sound.

Its not as up in the air as 1 would think. Because it has such a mainstream sound also to it.

Its not just pj either
    nirvaNA
    soundgarden
    ect ect ect

no more shows
  • Options
    I also have to jump on the Riot Act has a dark feel to it bandwagon. But nothing like a Vitalogy dark. More like a mysterious dark, Ed's deep vocals, haunting melodies, even a song called Ghost. I definitely feel a darkness to it.
  • Options
    With all due respect, you're sounding like a pretentious idiot. Those terms (edgy? wtf?) are subjective; the above poster is right. And I also agree with the above poster in saying that Riot Act is dark. Indeed, to me also it seems like the 'little brother' of No Code. To be honest, I think to equate 'edgy' with 'loud/punkish' is extremely shallow. Especially when it sounds like you feel as if you hold some monopoly on those terms and their definition.

I'm guessing you've heard Tom Waits. Loud? Punkish? Not really. Edgy? Dark? Hell yes.

goodbye

as usual someone who has no clue on pjs sound

riot act dark = you having the lights turned off when you listen to it.

Go read up on the sound in hte early 90's, if you can get over yourself, or just read the first chapter in five aginst 1, it explains it vividly.

Then come on here and act like you know what your talking about.

I completely wasted my time in here. Just go hug eachother and act generic, and sit around and high five eachother on how edgey and dark the album is.

Alas, it doesnt take a fucking genius, to relize out of 8 albums which one is the most upbeat.

pretentious idiot

that was a good one

this was the biggest waste of time, this is why the yield post is what it is,and this thread gets no love, its competition isnt about riot act, its about post count.

no more shows
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I also have to jump on the Riot Act has a dark feel to it bandwagon. But nothing like a Vitalogy dark. More like a mysterious dark, Ed's deep vocals, haunting melodies, even a song called Ghost. I definitely feel a darkness to it.

well you would be making yourself sound foolish when it comes to pjs music

before my context gets blown the fuck away and i get baned

yosi said it was like ten vs and vitalogy
    and no code

this is what i was basing my comments on

i try to talk to friends and you guys act like kids and take things out of context

no more shows
  • Options
    well you would be making yourself sound foolish when it comes to pjs music

before my context gets blown the fuck away and i get baned

yosi said it was like ten vs and vitalogy
    and no code

this is what i was basing my comments on

i try to talk to friends and you guys act like kids and take things out of context

Huh? I wasn't bashing you or twisting words at all. I was explaining why I felt this album had a "darkness" to it. I'll leave though...
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Well, considering you came on here, our Riot Act thread to diss RA, I thought I'd kid around, with you some more, and ask for you membership... I guess you took it too seriously.

Also, if you notice, I never said anything negative about Yield. Anyway, I don't agree with your discription of the type of person who listens Riot Act. From what I can tell, Riot Act has much mature sound, and as I hear it, when they really start to sound like a classic rock band. Riot Act is about love, and the kind of tumult one might go through when they are in the process of losing it. Riot Act is about re-birth after going through a hard experience. About escaping and surviving a devestating experience. Its about growing up in a sense.

I alsodon't agree with your description of who listens to Riot Act. Many times in my life I have been called "hippie", and this is certainly my favorite album. And just cause I'm from NY doesn't mean I'd wear horned rimmed glasses, or am anything like an art director.

And to be perfectly honest, I think Riot Act sounds more like Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, Binaural, and Pearl Jam than Yield does.

i based all the stuff harmeless lil fuck rudley disrepected me with, while I was wasting an hour of my time to explain something to someone I was trying to be friendly with

yosi was very misguided in his asumption and agreeing would be nothing more than bandwagoning
    not fact

and i am so sorry to use fucking nouns like edgey to describe something

and danny lactually learn alil bit more about the band before you jump on bandwagons, or read what you are jumping on

i guess you knuckle heads asumed i was comparing riot act to britney spears.

How can anyone with a straight face say riot act is anything like ten with its dark melodies, or binaraul. Except just o break my balls.

Have fun

no more shows
  • Options
    i based all the stuff you rudley disrepected me with with wasting an hour of my time to explain something to someone I used to be friendly with

very misguided

and i am so sorry to use fucking nouns to describe something

and danny lactually learn alil bit more about the band before you jump on bandwagons

Woah, Noway, I totally don't think I disrespected you, and if you thought so I'm sorry. I was just having a conversation. If you feel disrespected by me, then I guess I did a bad job articulating myself, but I was really just trying to understand and get your view point while trying explain mine. Let me know man, cause I enjoy talking to you and don't want you to be pissed off.

I don't think that stateming my opinion and having a conversation should be considered rude. I was totally trying to understand where you were coming from, and just trying to say where I was coming from.

I don't think you wasted your time, nor do I think I wasted mine.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Woah, Noway, I totally don't think I disrespected you, and if you thought so I'm sorry. I was just having a conversation. If you feel disrespected by me, then I guess I did a bad job articulating myself, but I was really just trying to understand and get your view point while trying explain mine. Let me know man, cause I enjoy talking to you and don't want you to be pissed off.

I didnt mean you or danny

we are in here talking and i was a lil sarcastic with you but that other dude came in here and acted like a knuclehead, he didnt need to bash me like that.

for taking an interest in while this album is so diferant

no more shows
  • Options
    and danny lactually learn alil bit more about the band before you jump on bandwagons, or read what you are jumping on

What's there to learn about my own personal opinion? Why are you getting so defensive?
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Huh? I wasn't bashing you or twisting words at all. I was explaining why I felt this album had a "darkness" to it. I'll leave though...

man your timing was horrible and im sorry
    \
    just sometimes you have seen me get into with people, and you opened the door and hit me right in the face

no more shows
  • Options
    I didnt mean you or danny

we are in here talking and i was a lil sarcastic with you but that other dude came in here and acted like a knuclehead, he didnt need to bash me like that.

for taking an interest in while this album is so diferant

Aright cool.

By the way, I have read 5 Against 1. Good book for the history of grunge I thought more than anything.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    What's there to learn about my own personal opinion? Why are you getting so defensive?

yosi i edited that post to how i actually felt, just typed way to fast to get the opinion out

dan
    alot of people dis riot act
    the yielders came in hear and started breaking balls in a quiet way

it was fine
    so i started rambling to yosi about the album not being dark as comparred to other pj records

its just not

comparred to other bands maybe
    but not ten

so this dude who started this post came in and trashed me
    as i was flamming back you rolled in

i am sorry

harmelees lil fuck thanks hope you got a good laugh

when in reality all we were doing was talking riot act.

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi i edited that post to how i actually felt, just typed way to fast to get the opinion out

dan
    alot of people dis riot act
    the yielders came in hear and started breaking balls in a quiet way

it was fine
    so i started rambling to yosi about the album not being dark as comparred to other pj records

its just not

comparred to other bands maybe
    but not ten

so this dude who started this post came in and trashed me
    as i was flamming back you rolled in

i am sorry

harmelees lil fuck thanks hope you got a good laugh

when in reality all we were doing was talking riot act.

Lyrically darkest - Ten
    Musically darkest - Vitalogy

Riot Act is like a lukewarm of those two in my opinion. Probably shouldn't have cut in, but I saw everyone talking about how the album was dark and threw in my two cents.
  • Options
    BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    sorry, but this thread has gotten insane!
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • Options
    Btw, I don't think that Riot Act is as dark as Ten or Vitalogy or Vs. I was just trying to say I thought it sounded more like them, and darker and edgier than Yield. Yield definitely has more of a punk feel too it than that of Riot Act, but maybe I misunderstand the words, edgey and dark, but I think that Riot Act has those more so than Yield. And too be perfectly clear, I don't think that darkness or edginess makes one album better then the other. I think there are plenty of albums that aren't dark or edgey that are fucking amazing.
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:

It does that now and again. I think we're all too excitable and too defensive in here. Need to smoke more dope.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Lyrically darkest - Ten
    Musically darkest - Vitalogy

Riot Act is like a lukewarm of those two in my opinion. Probably shouldn't have cut in, but I saw everyone talking about how the album was dark and threw in my two cents.

well that makes more sense than riot act

no more shows
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:

HEHEHE and you started all of it and bailed.

What is Yield thread turning you into a cia agent spy hunter.

Yes I am insane. I love it though.

no more shows
  • Options
    Just thought I'd say I love Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, Binaural, Riot Act, Lost Dogs, and Pearl Jam with my 3,000th post.
  • Options
    Have a goodnight all.

Mets all the way!
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    You always have a sound, dont know how to describe it but its kinda like the albums.

Its not as out in the air or opinionated as you and others make it.

Most of early pearl jam and much of their material sounds dark/gloomy, not up beat is because they write it that way.

They may play alive, or black like a classic zeppelin or bluesy song but the instruments are tuned like a buzzcocks punk song.
    This is what grunge is:
    The fusing togehter of mainstream structured rock/ with punk tuning and off timing.

Light Years is a perfcet example
    It has its moments of rock, and solos and the structure of a classic rock song but
    the timing is off beat, and the chord selection is minor.
    they are are traits in punk music
    If they changed the beat to a more 4/4/ on time beat and used major chords the song wouldnt have that sad drag to it. Like the demo.

you are is tuned way diferant than anything else they have done, sounds almost like a dance song.

On Riot Act they broke alot of their rules.

It is more upbeat, rocking and less dark chord and timing wise.

It should have been called No Code

Just for the record, Light Years is in 4/4 timing and Alive and Black are in standard tuning the same way probably 70% of the songs out there are. You Are, while I believe it's in an open C tuning, doesn't sound the way it does because of its tuning, it's because the guitar was run through a drum machine to give it the delay/staccato effects. The tuning of a guitar doesn't affect the sound of the tone near as much as the effects that are used. The biggest way to affect the feel of a song is still chord selection. Open chords, bar chords, major/minor, 5ths, 7ths, etc. These have a much greater impact on the relative sound/feel than just the tuning of the strings.

You are right that Riot Act definitely has a different feel than any other PJ album, I just wanted to point out that some of your reasons stated were innacurate.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    Just for the record, Light Years is in 4/4 timing and Alive and Black are in standard tuning the same way probably 70% of the songs out there are. You Are, while I believe it's in an open C tuning, doesn't sound the way it does because of its tuning, it's because the guitar was run through a drum machine to give it the delay/staccato effects. The tuning of a guitar doesn't affect the sound of the tone near as much as the effects that are used. The biggest way to affect the feel of a song is still chord selection. Open chords, bar chords, major/minor, 5ths, 7ths, etc. These have a much greater impact on the relative sound/feel than just the tuning of the strings.

You are right that Riot Act definitely has a different feel than any other PJ album, I just wanted to point out that some of your reasons stated were innacurate.

you dont think most of the music on ten is off timed
    and light years has a slow sound to it
    including eds key
    and chord selection has alot to do with it also

no more shows
  • Options
    you are stating that 70 percent of pjs music is in standard tuning

i am not a guitar player, i am basing this on stuff i have read thru this website and in the early articles on grunge

i gues its all bullshit like alot of eds stories.

also i just listened to light years, if that is standard they revolutinized that term

there is actually a show where ed starts changing the tuning on his guitar refering to the seattle sound vs others

no more shows
  • Options
    you are stating that 70 percent of pjs music is in standard tuning

I play bass and seriously, every song I know by PJ is either standard or Drop-D. I know Daughter is a weird tuning for guitar, but I think they're typically standard. You Are as noted above is in C or C#, don't remember.

Jumped in again sorry :) Ignore this if it's out of context.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I play bass and seriously, every song I know by PJ is either standard or Drop-D. I know Daughter is a weird tuning for guitar, but I think they're typically standard. You Are as noted above is in C or C#, don't remember.

Jumped in again sorry :) Ignore this if it's out of context.

i guess most of the stuff the band says is bullshit, i mean honestly most of it is when it comes to the origins of their songs, and where they get ideas from.

I will say this there is alot of arguing over the 4/4 drumming everyone talks about matt for having, and honestly i know a few great drummers and they laugh at those comments.
    they say he is everyhting but

so who the fuck knows

naked ear can tell you ten thru vitology albums have a way diferant sound than riot act.

THERE IS NO WAY EVEN WITH A GUN TO MY HEAD I WOULD AGREE WITH THAT NOT BEING TRUTH

and the songs that I listed have diferant chord selections, i obviously was misled with my reading and listening to ed talk up changing the way they tune their guitars.

so for the record

blood/rats/deep/ are in standard tuning

no more shows
  • Options
    i guess most of the stuff the band says is bullshit, i mean honestly most of it is when it comes to the origins of their songs, and where they get ideas from.

I will say this there is alot of arguing over the 4/4 drumming everyone talks about matt for having, and honestly i know a few great drummers and they laugh at those comments.
    they say he is everyhting but

so who the fuck knows

naked ear can tell you ten thru vitology albums have a way diferant sound than riot act.

THERE IS NO WAY EVEN WITH A GUN TO MY HEAD I WOULD AGREE WITH THAT NOT BEING TRUTH

and the songs that I listed have diferant chord selections, i obviously was misled with my reading and listening to ed talk up changing the way they tune their guitars.

so for the record

blood/rats/deep/ are in standard tuning

Yeah I know those three, standard.
    Don't forget Mike and Stone don't always tune together, another unique and special element of this band :)

About your Ten through Vitalogy sounding different than Riot Act though they're in the same tuning (for the most part), look at this. Since I just found out yesterday you like Iron Maiden, compare The Number of the Beast to Powerslave. Those albums have a completely different feel and sound but are tuned the same.