Options

The new 'I f***in' feeel like talking about 'Riot Act' thread.

Comments

• Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I play bass and seriously, every song I know by PJ is either standard or Drop-D. I know Daughter is a weird tuning for guitar, but I think they're typically standard. You Are as noted above is in C or C#, don't remember.

Jumped in again sorry :) Ignore this if it's out of context.

well i was just talking to nick who plays guitar and he says more most of ten is not in standard tuning

alas if light years is in 4/4 matt does a good job making it sound diferant.

it is not a standard 4/4 beat like in cant keep or breakerfall
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    well i was just talking to nick who plays guitar and he says more most of ten is not in standard tuning

I play bass remember ;) Disregard what I'm saying if it's wrong. But Jeff usually tunes to one of the guitars, so maybe I'm half right?
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Yeah I know those three, standard.
    Don't forget Mike and Stone don't always tune together, another unique and special element of this band :)

About your Ten through Vitalogy sounding different than Riot Act though they're in the same tuning (for the most part), look at this. Since I just found out yesterday you like Iron Maiden, compare The Number of the Beast to Powerslave. Those albums have a completely different feel and sound but are tuned the same.

well if mike and stone dont tune togheter than what makes it one way over the other

on riot act hey sound the same most of the album

ten and vs they are way diferant, nick said mikes solos are standard but stones rythums are not

which was my fucking point

i said riot act lacked stones 3 chord rifs and diferant tuning

no more shows
  • Options
    well if mike and stone dont tune togheter than what makes it one way over the other

on riot act hey sound the same most of the album

ten and vs they are way diferant, nick said mikes solos are standard but stones rythums are not

which was my fucking point

i said riot act lacked stones 3 chord rifs and diferant tuning

This is why I need to stop jumping in ;)
    This bass player doesn't know much about guitar so I'm done here.
    Did he mention if Stone was playing Drop-D? That's standard except your E string is in the key of D.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Yeah I know those three, standard.
    Don't forget Mike and Stone don't always tune together, another unique and special element of this band :)

About your Ten through Vitalogy sounding different than Riot Act though they're in the same tuning (for the most part), look at this. Since I just found out yesterday you like Iron Maiden, compare The Number of the Beast to Powerslave. Those albums have a completely different feel and sound but are tuned the same.

im comparring the constant buzz generic sound on get right
    help help
    ghost
    obviously you are is differant
    crop duster has a diferant sound to the rifs also
    i didnt say it was a metal album
    im not fucking stupid

this shit happens on hear all the time, we start talking about something for more than a post and everthing gets taken out of context
    you never see any real drawn out posts on music ever in hear,

Its always bashing

my whole point was to explain why riot act was differant, and i gathered most of my points from listening vs reading articles the band talked about writing riot act

thats it
    and i get all these differant facts

no more shows
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    This is why I need to stop jumping in ;)
    This bass player doesn't know much about guitar so I'm done here.
    Did he mention if Stone was playing Drop-D? That's standard except your E string is in the key of D.

His exact words were are you kidding me, maybee mikes solos are.
    and i dont know im not a guitar player
    honestly nor do i care, i just like talking pj music verses release unplugged or where do we live shit

no more shows
  • Options
    im comparring the constant buzz generic sound on get right
    help help
    ghost
    obviously you are is differant
    crop duster has a diferant sound to the rifs also
    You also have to factor in any pedals used during the recording, or playing the instrument abnormally (palm muting, scraping, etc.).
    i didnt say it was a metal album
    im not fucking stupid
    I guess Iron Maiden was a bad analogy?
    this shit happens on hear all the time, we start talking about something for more than a post and everthing gets taken out of context
    you never see any real drawn out posts on music ever in hear,

Its always bashing
    Was I bashing you? If so I'm sorry.
    my whole point was to explain why riot act was differant, and i gathered most of my points from listening vs reading articles the band talked about writing riot act

thats it
    and i get all these differant facts
    I think the key of the songs is what makes the album sound different.
  • Options
    His exact words were are you kidding me, maybee mikes solos are.
    and i dont know im not a guitar player
    honestly nor do i care, i just like talking pj music verses release unplugged or where do we live shit

Well nevermind the guitar tuning. I'm talking out of my ass apparently. Jeff is standard almost all the time and I assumed he tuned with Stone.
  • Options
    there was actually a tape back in like 93 vhs i believe

learn how to play like pearl jam

and i remeber them talking up how they tuned there guitars differant

this is why i talk that sound up

in the five against 1 book it goes onto say
    grunge was mainstream arena rock/ punk chords and tuning
    like the buzzcocks primaraly w/pearl jam

now how that transpires to basic or standard comparred to blues/metal
    to my point being about the sound of their songs being heavy or dark comparred to riot act

alot of people talk about riot act and binaurul as being heavy

i just dont see it

no more shows
  • Options
    dude im not that fragile i know you are not bashing me

yes nick said the keyt is off, and a choir singer once mentioned to me that eds singing is very something
    referring to they key
    but i forget
    and i have never really read anything about the key ed sings in so i didnt bring that up

and if they key leads more to the songs creating the sound we are talking up

than all of these super techniacl scientists or whatever should understand our points
    we are just fans listening to what the band feeds us

and its not like i said riot act sounds like nickleback
    but one would have thought after reading the replies made back

If there is this much diferant stuff going on in their basic songs
    standard just doesnt seem to fit

no more shows
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Well nevermind the guitar tuning. I'm talking out of my ass apparently. Jeff is standard almost all the time and I assumed he tuned with Stone.

it sounds as if you know more than i

i just know what i read and listen too

thats it

no more shows
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    dude im not that fragile i know you are not bashing me

yes nick said the keyt is off, and a choir singer once mentioned to me that eds singing is very something
    referring to they key
    but i forget
    and i have never really read anything about the key ed sings in so i didnt bring that up

and if they key leads more to the songs creating the sound we are talking up

than all of these super techniacl scientists or whatever should understand our points
    we are just fans listening to what the band feeds us

and its not like i said riot act sounds like nickleback
    but one would have thought after reading the replies made back

did somebody say nickelback? they are my guilty pleasure!

I like Riot Act, alot!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options

Are we talking about Pearl Jam? This seems like it would fit Soundgarden more. They tuned weird all the time and had weird time signatures. Guess I should brush up on my PJ guitar knowledge...
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Are we talking about Pearl Jam? This seems like it would fit Soundgarden more. They tuned weird all the time and had weird time signatures. Guess I should brush up on my PJ guitar knowledge...

mainly ten and vs/ riot act

other albums were mentioned and im sure someone will say that i said last kiss the tuning was diferant

no more shows
  • Options
    mainly ten and vs/ riot act

other albums were mentioned and im sure someone will say that i said last kiss the tuning was diferant

Okay, well I'm your man for bass then. Stick with someone else on guitar talk ;) I've seemed to cause more trouble that assistance :p (not on purpose though!)
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Okay, well I'm your man for bass then. Stick with someone else on guitar talk ;) I've seemed to cause more trouble that assistance :p (not on purpose though!)

i just read rockings reply again in referance to my buzzcocks tuning comment

that came right out of jeffs mouth in the spin 10 year anivesiry article

now im sure from the sound of it he knows guitar, but i just cant believe the guys would bullshit about the way they play their music.

no more shows
  • Options
    i dont like nickelback

but hey its cool that you do

no more shows
  • Options
    i dont like nickelback

but hey its cool that you do

many, many people here do not like them. I don't fit in here, for a few reasons. I am a prude. I like different kinds of music like pop rock and some punk.
    But then again I love pearl jam and bands like led zeppelin, but not the bands on the unpublished "acceptable" bands list, that people here on synergy have come up with over the years!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    iluvcats wrote:
    many, many people here do not like them. I don't fit in here, for a few reasons. I am a prude. I like different kinds of music like pop rock and some punk.
    But then again I love pearl jam and bands like led zeppelin, but not the bands on the unpublished "acceptable" bands list, that people here on synergy have come up with over the years!

Yeah but this thread should be on the no-no list too. Everyone hates Riot Act for some reason :rolleyes:
    You fit in just fine, freak ;)

Love,
    Freak
  • Options
    if you want to see how many bands you like on the unwritten approved synergy list, I made one up on July 5th in the puddle of mudd thread :)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=203941&highlight=approved+synergy
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    iluvcats wrote:
    if you want to see how many bands you like on the unwritten approved synergy list, I made one up on July 5th in the puddle of mudd thread :)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=203941&highlight=approved+synergy

I like a bunch of unapproved bands. Exile me I guess.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Yeah but this thread should be on the no-no list too. Everyone hates Riot Act for some reason :rolleyes:
    You fit in just fine, freak ;)

Love,
    Freak

yeah I think I'm feeling the love today.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:

I like 6-7 of them.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431

All 4/4 means is that there are 4 beats to every measure and every quarter note gets a beat. Tap it out with your foot. There are clearly 4 beats every measure. Tempo and time signature are 2 completely different things.

And I'm sorry, but your friend is wrong. Every song on Ten is in standard tuning - EADGBE - except Even Flow, in which 1 guitar is standard and one is open D I believe, Oceans (1 standard 1 open D), Garden (1 standard 1 dropped D), and Deep (1 standard 1 open A). So I don't think you can say that most of Ten is not standard. Ten is overwhelmingly in standard tuning. If you don't believe me, look for yourself. Look at any tablature site. Not trying to get into an argument here, either....Just trying to point out the facts.

There's no such thing as standard 4/4 or a deviated form of 4/4. It's either 4/4 or its not. Light Years, Can't Keep, Breakerfall....All 4/4. Sometimes bands will change the time signature in the middle of the song (most notably, a band like Dream Theater is well known for their complex time signatures). I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to get at here, other than to maybe say the tempo of these songs are different. But like I said, 4/4 doesn't indicate tempo. It merely illustrates the time signature, or how many beats are in each measure and what value is given to each beat. Hope this helps.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    i just read rockings reply again in referance to my buzzcocks tuning comment

that came right out of jeffs mouth in the spin 10 year anivesiry article

now im sure from the sound of it he knows guitar, but i just cant believe the guys would bullshit about the way they play their music.

I don't know what quote you're talking about, but I highly doubt Jeff used the word "tuning". He probably used the word "tone". These are 2 completely seperate things here. I'm just trying to help out here. You have to be careful when you use certain terms because to someone who plays guitar (such as myself) your point can get lost in your inadvertant misuse of the terminology. I'm not trying to say the point you're making is wrong. I think I understand what you're trying to say. Pearl Jam does have their own unique sound. But it comes from the juxtaposition of Stone and Mike's guitar style. Stone has a very unique ear for rhythm guitar and he finds unique parts to play with Mike's leads. And their sound does vary from album to album. I'm just saying the terms you're using to describe your point are inaccurate and can lead to confusion.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:

you have it backwards. it's unwritten, approved bands.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    All 4/4 means is that there are 4 beats to every measure and every quarter note gets a beat. Tap it out with your foot. There are clearly 4 beats every measure. Tempo and time signature are 2 completely different things.

And I'm sorry, but your friend is wrong. Every song on Ten is in standard tuning - EADGBE - except Even Flow, in which 1 guitar is standard and one is open D I believe, Oceans (1 standard 1 open D), Garden (1 standard 1 dropped D), and Deep (1 standard 1 open A). So I don't think you can say that most of Ten is not standard. Ten is overwhelmingly in standard tuning. If you don't believe me, look for yourself. Look at any tablature site. Not trying to get into an argument here, either....Just trying to point out the facts.

There's no such thing as standard 4/4 or a deviated form of 4/4. It's either 4/4 or its not. Light Years, Can't Keep, Breakerfall....All 4/4. Sometimes bands will change the time signature in the middle of the song (m
    I wasnt trying to argue with you, you obviously knopwost notably, a band like Dream Theater is well known for their complex time signatures). I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to get at here, other than to maybe say the tempo of these songs are different. But like I said, 4/4 doesn't indicate tempo. It merely illustrates the time signature, or how many beats are in each measure and what value is given to each beat. Hope this helps.

I wasnt arguing with you, cmon
    you obviously know your shit. But for years I have heard/read how pj changes the tuning of their guitars on the early stuff, now coming in where I am not an expert, maybe they are changing it but still maintaining standard levels, I dont know that is where you have expierience.
    Overall wouldnt you say riot act has more of a generic sound on the way they play their instruments comparred to the others.

When you get super technical of course the average fan who bases most of their knowledge from reading articles and talking to other people are going to be off, Yosis comment of that album sounding like ten and the others I thought was misguided, its funny because i would have thought that evenflow was the most standard tuning and timing on the record
    just bases on ear
    as far as the drums alot of people even some musicians will describe lets say ringo star as a basic 4/4 drummer.
    I listen to alot of dream theater and love mike portniy, I deffinantly hear the diferanc in hte paterns
    but in listening to matt I hear a lot of diferant stuff comparred to most other drummers

Matts drumming on ghost ?
    What is that.

no more shows
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I don't know what quote you're talking about, but I highly doubt Jeff used the word "tuning". He probably used the word "tone". These are 2 completely seperate things here. I'm just trying to help out here. You have to be careful when you use certain terms because to someone who plays guitar (such as myself) your point can get lost in your inadvertant misuse of the terminology. I'm not trying to say the point you're making is wrong. I think I understand what you're trying to say. Pearl Jam does have their own unique sound. But it comes from the juxtaposition of Stone and Mike's guitar style. Stone has a very unique ear for rhythm guitar and he finds unique parts to play with Mike's leads. And their sound does vary from album to album. I'm just saying the terms you're using to describe your point are inaccurate and can lead to confusion.

I dont no shit about playing guitars except what i hear and what answers i get from questions
    i went to look a that article and its not up anymore, he probably did say tone

what would be a good example of a pj song that has lower tuning

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    you obviously know your shit. But for years I have heard/read how pj changes the tuning of their guitars on the early stuff, now coming in where I am not an expert, maybe they are changing it but still maintaining standard levels, I dont know that is where you have expierience.
    Overall wouldnt you say riot act has more of a generic sound on the way they play their instruments comparred to the others.

When you get super technical of course the average fan who bases most of their knowledge from reading articles and talking to other people are going to be off, Yosis comment of that album sounding like ten and the others I thought was misguided, its funny because i would have thought that evenflow was the most standard tuning and timing on the record
    just bases on ear
    as far as the drums alot of people even some musicians will describe lets say ringo star as a basic 4/4 drummer.
    I listen to alot of dream theater and love mike portniy, I deffinantly hear the diferanc in hte paterns
    but in listening to matt I hear a lot of diferant stuff comparred to most other drummers

What is that.

Ghost is in 4/4. The time signature of a song doesn't necessarily say anything about the beat that will be played except that there are four beats to every measure. He does play a pretty interesting beat in the chorus, hitting the toms, but the song is in 4/4.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options

just bases on ear

What is that.

I'm definitely not arguing your point. No doubt about it. Riot Act has a MUCH more generic sound than any other Pearl Jam album. It's just that it's not because of time signature or tuning. It's just basic songwriting. Their songwriting on Riot Act sounds much more forced and much less inspired than the other albums.

As for drumming, time signature is not a style. Ghost has a 4/4 time signature. But every drummer plays differently within the 4/4 time signature. You can play off the beats on a 4/4 time....Danny Carey from Tool does this all the time. All 4/4 really means is that there are 4 beats to every measure.