Options

The new 'I f***in' feeel like talking about 'Riot Act' thread.

Comments

• Options
    BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    this thread should be deleted.

-Yield Fan Club Enforcer
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    BlkFlg wrote:
    this thread should be deleted.

-Yield Fan Club Enforcer

Your membership should be revoked ;)
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Your membership should be revoked ;)

Seeing as how we're family (Yield and its fan club are the hippie, surfer ,philosophical middle child and Riot Act and its fan club are the NYC art director with black horned rimmed glasses oldest child) our debate is purely friendly, however, I must say your claims for my memberhsip being revoked are egregious and troubling. Riot Act sounds tired, defeated, muffled, and old. Yield is all about release, expansion, and possibility. Riot Act goes against PJ's general message and vibe.

Your bro,

BlkFlg
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Seeing as how we're family (Yield and its fan club are the hippie, surfer ,philosophical middle child and Riot Act and its fan club are the NYC art director with black horned rimmed glasses oldest child) our debate is purely friendly, however, I must say your claims for my memberhsip being revoked are egregious and troubling. Riot Act sounds tired, defeated, muffled, and old. Yield is all about release, expansion, and possibility. Riot Act goes against PJ's general message and vibe.

Your bro,

BlkFlg[/quote

pjs has changed their vibe so much since day 1 its hard to figure out sometimes
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    BlkFlg wrote:

Your bro,

BlkFlg

God this is good. Our new enforcer is working out quite well if I do say so myself. :)
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:

Your bro,

BlkFlg[/quote

pjs has changed their vibe so much since day 1 its hard to figure out sometimes

there is still a central theme running though that hooks people. Its the spiritual connection piece, the release and promise of transcendence.....their music elevates people and connects them to something bigger than themselves...i dont buy into the avant garde argument...sure, sleight of hand is good, and ghost or whatever, but i think they do that only so-so. They are at their best with songs like MITS and such.
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:

there is still a central theme running though that hooks people. Its the spiritual connection piece, the release and promise of transcendence.....their music elevates people and connects them to something bigger than themselves...i dont buy into the avant garde argument...sure, sleight of hand is good, and ghost or whatever, but i think they do that only so-so. They are at their best with songs like MITS and such.

Well mits is my favorite so no argue there. With riot act i always felt musically it was more generic rock than the others. Ed wanted to sound more educated on riot act. Kinda spoke alot of adult content and not in his same folky measage.

BUTTTTTT it was a good mix up for pj, maybee they shouldnt have made us wait so long for 8
    it wasnt a bad album, especially for rock standards in general. Pj standards I can totally understand. It was their least grunge/punk/folk album to date. It just was missing that 3 chord riff stone is always bragging about allowing him to write his more in "in touch" material. And eds storytelling was not there.
    Alas maybee they were fucking with us and hoping the diehards would cling more to lost dogs, and pick up more of a rock audience along the way. The knid that collect posters.

Butt it was more than adequttete for me. I like simple rock, i just like grunge/alternative more.

no more shows
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    God this is good. Our new enforcer is working out quite well if I do say so myself. :)

Uber-pwnage. :)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    Uber-pwnage. :)

This is nice. Sitting back and watching our enforcer do a great job defending the honor of YIELD.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    This is nice. Sitting back and watching our enforcer do a great job defending the honor of YIELD.

How funny would it be if Ed came on here, and started throwind down with you guys over riot act.

that would be fun to sit back and watch

no more shows
  • Options
    How funny would it be if Ed came on here, and started throwind down with you guys over riot act.

that would be fun to sit back and watch

I freaking NEED to have a debate with Ed. It might start with Riot Act, but I will change the subject quickly to his constant refusal to play anything off of YIELD live. Trust me, it really would be fun to sit back and watch. :)

• Options
    BlkFlg wrote:

Your bro,

BlkFlg

Well, considering you came on here, our Riot Act thread to diss RA, I thought I'd kid around, with you some more, and ask for you membership... I guess you took it too seriously.

Also, if you notice, I never said anything negative about Yield. Anyway, I don't agree with your discription of the type of person who listens Riot Act. From what I can tell, Riot Act has much mature sound, and as I hear it, when they really start to sound like a classic rock band. Riot Act is about love, and the kind of tumult one might go through when they are in the process of losing it. Riot Act is about re-birth after going through a hard experience. About escaping and surviving a devestating experience. Its about growing up in a sense.

I alsodon't agree with your description of who listens to Riot Act. Many times in my life I have been called "hippie", and this is certainly my favorite album. And just cause I'm from NY doesn't mean I'd wear horned rimmed glasses, or am anything like an art director.

And to be perfectly honest, I think Riot Act sounds more like Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, Binaural, and Pearl Jam than Yield does.
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I freaking NEED to have a debate with Ed. It might start with Riot Act, but I will change the subject quickly to his constant refusal to play anything off of YIELD live. Trust me, it really would be fun to sit back and watch. :)

I bet, Ed thought of himself as an Author on riot act.

He wrote the novel.

I think Riot Act is a very good album, but inded the pj vibe is absent, it was on binaurul too, i just think with that album it had deeper longer songs so it kinda hid the fact.

no more shows
  • Options
    I bet, Ed thought of himself as an Author on riot act.

He wrote the novel.

I think Riot Act is a very good album, but inded the pj vibe is absent, it was on binaurul too, i just think with that album it had deeper longer songs so it kinda hid the fact.

I absolutely agree with everything you just said. (EDIT: Except that Riot Act is a very good album. It's just my opinion that Riot Act is a very mediocre album. Lacks that certain edgy Pearl Jam "feel")

• Options
    BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    RockKing wrote:
    I think Riot Act is a very good album
    I absolutely agree with everything you just said.

:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

edit - (added the winky face, this indeed all in good fun of course)
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Well, considering you came on here, our Riot Act thread to diss RA, I thought I'd kid around, with you some more, and ask for you membership... I guess you took it too seriously.

Also, if you notice, I never said anything negative about Yield. Anyway, I don't agree with your discription of the type of person who listens Riot Act. From what I can tell, Riot Act has much mature sound, and as I hear it, when they really start to sound like a classic rock band. Riot Act is about love, and the kind of tumult one might go through when they are in the process of losing it. Riot Act is about re-birth after going through a hard experience. About escaping and surviving a devestating experience. Its about growing up in a sense.

I alsodon't agree with your description of who listens to Riot Act. Many times in my life I have been called "hippie", and this is certainly my favorite album. And just cause I'm from NY doesn't mean I'd wear horned rimmed glasses, or am anything like an art director.

And to be perfectly honest, I think Riot Act sounds more like Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, Binaural, and Pearl Jam than Yield does.

Yosi-

This is all in good fun of course, not taking anything seriously.

What is your data surrounding Riot Act being about rebirth? I hear it and feel sad and tired. The production is as much of an indication as anything. It is also populated with inaccessible songs in terms of melody, and I do have data to support this. As a social scientist, I understand that everything is relative, contextual, and subjective. BUT, there is a way to measure the amount of people who believe in something, and if you took a poll (and there have a been a million here) Yield would overwhelmingly beat Riot Act, and overwhelmingly people would say Ed sounds tired and old on Riot Act, and people would say that Riot Act is *not* about rebirth, but about being sunken in the depths of frozen self pity oir something to the like.

The presence of songs such as "Help Help", "Ghost", "Save You", "LBC" to name a few is an example of the weak offering of the album. Eddie's misguided, uneducated political and social commentary comes off as trite and he was better suited to speak in generalities like he did in previous albums.

Also- Can you prove you are not an art director? Can you prove you do not wear horned rimmed glasses?
  • Options
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

edit - (added the winky face, this indeed all in good fun of course)

Oh shit....I missed that completely. I believe a post edit is in need. Thanks brother BoJD for pointing out my mistake! :)

• Options
    BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    RockKing wrote:
    Oh shit....I missed that completely. I believe a post edit is in need. Thanks brother BoJD for pointing out my mistake! :)

Whew, you had me worried there for a second. I know we're trying to be polite and gracious to our hosts here in the RA thread but... :)
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • Options
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    Whew, you had me worried there for a second. I know we're trying to be polite and gracious to our hosts here in the RA thread but... :)

Yeah, I mean no disrespect, but I still have standards that I need to live up to. :)

• Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    What is your data surrounding Riot Act being about rebirth? I hear it and feel sad and tired. The production is as much of an indication as anything. It is also populated with inaccessible songs in terms of melody, and I do have data to support this. As a social scientist, I understand that everything is relative, contextual, and subjective. BUT, there is a way to measure the amount of people who believe in something, and if you took a poll (and there have a been a million here) Yield would overwhelmingly beat Riot Act, and overwhelmingly people would say Ed sounds tired and old on Riot Act, and people would say that Riot Act is *not* about rebirth, but about being sunken in the depths of frozen self pity oir something to the like.

The presence of songs such as "Help Help", "Ghost", "Save You", "LBC" to name a few is an example of the weak offering of the album. Eddie's misguided, uneducated political and social commentary comes off as trite and he was better suited to speak in generalities like he did in previous albums.

Everything I said is totally subjective. Thats just the feeling I get when listening to the album. I think of some of the songs, Like the ones you pointed out as songs of someone struggling. Songs like Thumbing My Way, and LBC are about trying to hold on to love. But I see the release of the album in some ways as an accopmlishment, and a testament to survival. I understand 1/2 Full and Arc and Can't Keep and most importantly I Am Mine as kind of the, the I survived and am better for it part of the album. Like I said, its totally subjective, but thats the feeling I get when listening to the album.

I don't hear Ed as being tired. I also think some of the songs are much more musically complicated, which I like then some of the others, and that may be why some people are turned off to them.

I can't really tell you, but this is what I love.

BlkFlg wrote:
    Also- Can you prove you are not an art director? Can you prove you do not wear horned rimmed glasses?

Fuck. You got me :p
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Yosi-

Likewise... Except I really do love Riot Act.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

I was wondering where you went, you went home and put on a fancy dress.
    Relax, riot act is agreat album.

These guys do not listen to it because it is diferant.

Some people want certain things from pj others dont.

Dont sit here and make it out to be something its not though, you will fall furhter away in your defense
    it is absolutley nothing like the early albums except maybe thumbing and save you
    thats it
    Riot act has literally no punk crashing songs, like every album but binaurul has it has nothing dark on it, nothing real agressive
    save you is close ill give you that, but where else.

just like that dude saying binaurul is as heavy as any other pj album
    its not even close
    with pj heavy is not always playing fast its heavy chords
    these 2 albums do not have
    deep/rats/whipping/lukin/brain of j/ life wasted

nothing edgey at all

riot act is has an almost soungarden down on the upside feel to some of the material
    also it is upbeat
    and not as many minor chords
    it rocks though, it stays fast paced, and musically shows a diferant side to the band and is very tight
    it stands on its own

I hate to break it to everyone, but it is beter than binaurul, binaurul has great stuff but some of it is blah

its like stuck in the middle of grunge and rock
    like light years the chords could have been less minor
    same with the first 3 songs on the album
    they could have come out of their shell more on those songs like they did on riot act

take riot act for what it is and it will appeal to you more, i mean stones crunchy rifs do get to me sometimes, and it is nice to know we can listen to some other sounds of the band
    if riot act and bianaurul sounded like 8, we would be sick of them more, changes are good

no more shows
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I absolutely agree with everything you just said. (EDIT: Except that Riot Act is a very good album. It's just my opinion that Riot Act is a very mediocre album. Lacks that certain edgy Pearl Jam "feel")
    i agree with edgey
    i put that in my last post
    binaurul too and i hate that about those 2 albums

no more shows
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Yosi-

you are geting a lil ahead of yourself there

who honestly cares about polls, and in here

yes no rebirth on the album

but to some people and this is whats good about it is they adapt diferantly to things, i like riot act because musicaly its rocking and more upbeat than binaurul
    that is nough for some fans
    also i know some people that like riot act because it is less grunge in its sound

as far as eddy being misguided

right fucking on
    i think he tried to be like some kind of philosiphist on issues that he needhave a clue

but to some it didnt mater.

but come on and agree here

lbc is the best song on the album

its a homage to a tragdegy, you have to let that one skip by

help help and ghost are genric rockers
    lbc is not

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Everything I said is totally subjective. Thats just the feeling I get when listening to the album. I think of some of the songs, Like the ones you pointed out as songs of someone struggling. Songs like Thumbing My Way, and LBC are about trying to hold on to love. But I see the release of the album in some ways as an accopmlishment, and a testament to survival. I understand 1/2 Full and Arc and Can't Keep and most importantly I Am Mine as kind of the, the I survived and am better for it part of the album. Like I said, its totally subjective, but thats the feeling I get when listening to the album.

I don't hear Ed as being tired. I also think some of the songs are much more musically complicated, which I like then some of the others, and that may be why some people are turned off to them.

I can't really tell you, but this is what I love.

Fuck. You got me :p

Likewise... Except I really do love Riot Act.

tired i think is the wrong word

i seem to think edved isnt even tired when he sleeps

old is a beter word

he wrote this album to appeal to 70 year old authors, i think he felt this way when he sung this record

no more shows
  • Options
    I was wondering where you went, you went home and put on a fancy dress.
    Relax, riot act is agreat album.

Got distracted.
    Dont sit here and make it out to be something its not though, you will fall furhter away in your defense
    it is absolutley nothing like the early albums except maybe thumbing and save you
    thats it
    Riot act has literally no punk crashing songs, like every album but binaurul has it has nothing dark on it, nothing real agressive
    save you is close ill give you that, but where else.

just like that dude saying binaurul is as heavy as any other pj album
    its not even close
    with pj heavy is not always playing fast its heavy chords
    these 2 albums do not have
    deep/rats/whipping/lukin/brain of j/ life wasted

nothing edgey at all

riot act is has an almost soungarden down on the upside feel to some of the material
    also it is upbeat
    and not as many minor chords
    it rocks though, it stays fast paced, and musically shows a diferant side to the band and is very tight
    it stands on its own

I'm not going to argue anything about the musicality of songs, and the song writing. I don't know enough to make those claims.

However, I personally feel that Riot Act is much darker than many of the other albums. I think the entire vibe of the album is dark much more so than Yield, but thats also pretty subjective.

I also think All or None is very much like some of the past albums, its dark and I see it as the Indifference of Riot Act.

It is definitely less heavy, but I wouldn't define Yield as a heavy album either. Nor would I No Code, nor Binaural. I do find it to be a pretty edgey album. Songs like Save You, Ghost, 1/2 Full, and Help Help, fall under my definition of edgey.

Truth of the matter, I kind experience Yield (and then No Code) as being the least heavy of all their albums.

There is something that is definitely different about Riot Act then the other albums, but then again, there is something unique about every album, and if there weren't, I think we all might have gotten bored.
  • Options
    you are geting a lil ahead of yourself there

who honestly cares about polls, and in here

yes no rebirth on the album

but to some people and this is whats good about it is they adapt diferantly to things, i like riot act because musicaly its rocking and more upbeat than binaurul
    that is nough for some fans
    also i know some people that like riot act because it is less grunge in its sound

as far as eddy being misguided

right fucking on
    i think he tried to be like some kind of philosiphist on issues that he needhave a clue

but to some it didnt mater.

but come on and agree here

lbc is the best song on the album

its a homage to a tragdegy, you have to let that one skip by

help help and ghost are genric rockers
    lbc is not

The problem is that too much is a matter of perspective, and that it is entirely to subjective.
  • Options
    ok, I am completly lost in this discussion now...
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Got distracted.

I'm not going to argue anything about the musicality of songs, and the song writing. I don't know enough to make those claims.

However, I personally feel that Riot Act is much darker than many of the other albums. I think the entire vibe of the album is dark much more so than Yield, but thats also pretty subjective.

I also think All or None is very much like some of the past albums, its dark and I see it as the Indifference of Riot Act.

It is definitely less heavy, but I wouldn't define Yield as a heavy album either. Nor would I No Code, nor Binaural. I do find it to be a pretty edgey album. Songs like Save You, Ghost, 1/2 Full, and Help Help, fall under my definition of edgey.

Truth of the matter, I kind experience Yield (and then No Code) as being the least heavy of all their albums.

There is something that is definitely different about Riot Act then the other albums, but then again, there is something unique about every album, and if there weren't, I think we all might have gotten bored.

well dont make it seem like a science, you dont have to be a songwriter to disect their songs

riot act is not dark
    1 song does not transpire an albums feel especially a closer
    yes that song is reminesant of indifferance and immortality but that is the only part of the album
    indiferance does not send the feel of the album either
    instrument tuning riot act is not as minor/edgey

i dont think of yield as dark
    its a peacefull album for pj
    but their chord selection and timing is lower and off comparred to riot act
    somehow they pulled off a peaceful album
    its part of what makes it a measterpiece
    jacks drummin helps and so does eds lyrics

edgey meaning crunchy/punk chords crashing cymbols
    if you think those songs are edgey you make yourself sound like an old mom who hates punk rock heheheh

save you yes but 1 song again

help help eds lyrics i love them but in noway is that song edgey
    his lyrics almost sound like a child story teller
    very soft

ghost is a somewhat attemt but that song is generic rock, less minor tunning less punk chords
    yes stone plays it like classic pj but its not tuned like it
    and agian eds singing is diferant

1/2 full is a masterpiece but it is bluues rock all the way
    played like a stevie ray vaughn tune
    no way as heavy as like a rats or blood

yield and no code are heavier

there is a punk feel to alot of the songs on those albums
    they are tuned down on alot of the material

there is nothing on riot act or binaurul that is as edgey as lukin/habit/brain of j. /evolution/ mfc/hail hail
    nothing

what pisses me off about binaurul is they wrote songs like these but for some backwards ass reason didnt play them the way they should
    breakerfall
    gods dice
    grievance/ listen to this live its tunned down more

there is something deffinantly differant about riot act

its produced more like a classic / generic rock album
    not a folk/punk album

and yield and no code are not heavy albums but they have the right ingriedients on them

no more shows
  • Options
    Don't feel like quoting the your whole post, but from what I gathered (and you may well be right), heavy/edgey is synonymous with punk/punkish rock. I understood edgey as more, something that kind rubs against kind of roughly, If thats the case than I definitely agree with you.