A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    Good shit!!!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    twas a little disappointed with tonights episode. it couldve been more imo but it wasnt. my heart almost stopped when tyrian copped it but ive been assured its all cool. joffrey is still a douche and i will look forward to the starks exacting their revenge with ' all guns blazing'.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Great episode..I was at the edge of my seat the whole time!

Loved the Cersei/Sansa scenes, the hound talking back to the king, and tyrion leading the battle. I'm glad they stayed in King's Landing the entire episode. The pacing and character development really suffers when they switch locations every couple of minutes. The King's Landing stuff was so great I was a kind've disappointed to see Dany, Jon, and Theon scenes in the trailer for next week... :lol:

The battle was outstanding, and not just for a TV show, but overall very good. When the wildfire was destroying the fleet I felt like I was watching a big budget movie. One more episode left, and I'm sad to see it go :( I wish HBO could give it 12 episodes, but I guess we would eventually end up in the same place anyway.

I'm not sure how I would compare this season to the first. I think the constant scene jumping around hurt it a bit, can't wait to rewatch it though with a new perspective..there were some episodes where I was confused who people were (like when they introduced Theon's family). But there have been some GREAT moments this season (Arya scenes, King's Landing). Thinking back, I think the Night's Watch arc has been my least favorite of the season.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for next week!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    "Fuck the kingsguard. Fuck the city. Fuck the king."

I have to say that the Hound, Sandor Clegane, really grew in me last night.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

You mean his quote a few episodes back that killing was the sweetest thing there was didn't endear him to you? :lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    peter-dinklage-emmy.jpg
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
    Better Dan wrote:

You mean his quote a few episodes back that killing was the sweetest thing there was didn't endear him to you? :lol:
    That was the start of my appreciation for the character.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    wow, that episode was amazing, didn't feel like 50 minutes when I watched it tonight

next book to read is Storm of Swords for me after next weeks episode
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    Meg8686 wrote:
    peter-dinklage-emmy.jpg
    The rallying speech in this past episode cemented my vote!
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Half-man!!

Great episode. loved the filming. Story pretty much right on with the book.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    :o
    I was so happy with the episode.
    You could tell GRRM wrote it he obviously knows the characters better than anyone. (Bron/Sandor)

PODRICK PAYNE FTW! I've always liked pod i'm glad they kept him saving tyrion.

Stannis was a bad ass!

No Chain though :(

The explosion on the blackwater looked insanely good. I guess Melisandre was right to tell Davo's son in episode 2 that death in flames is an honorable death.

I watched it 3 times i enjoyed it so much. I think it is my fav episode of season 1 and 2
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    So from what I gather this chain thing that everyone keeps talking about is a giant chain they constructed in the bay, which when pulled taught created a logjam of Stannis' ships?

Were there any more fun defensive techniques that were omitted from the episode?
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/27/game-of-thrones-blackwater-2/

A good read on how they pulled it off. I think the episode was great- maybe the best of the series, the writing was great- the added scenes, and some great lines throughout.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    So from what I gather this chain thing that everyone keeps talking about is a giant chain they constructed in the bay, which when pulled taught created a logjam of Stannis' ships?

Were there any more fun defensive techniques that were omitted from the episode?
    Not really.
    I think in the books instead of a ship floating out with the wild fire tyrion planted wildfire floating mines.
    He also had the kings fleet in the harbour at the same time knowing that he needed bait to get Stannis far enough in that he could pull up the chain trap them and blow the wildfire up. In the book some of the kings fleet is destroyed but Tyrion see's no other way to do it

So all throughout the second book tyrion is having every blacksmith in the city create this chain trying to get it ready in time and everyone is like what the hell are you going to do with this chain.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22

A good read on how they pulled it off. I think the episode was great- maybe the best of the series, the writing was great- the added scenes, and some great lines throughout.

Good read! Thanks for sharing that.
    intodeep wrote:

Not really.
    I think in the books instead of a ship floating out with the wild fire tyrion planted wildfire floating mines.
    He also had the kings fleet in the harbour at the same time knowing that he needed bait to get Stannis far enough in that he could pull up the chain trap them and blow the wildfire up. In the book some of the kings fleet is destroyed but Tyrion see's no other way to do it

So all throughout the second book tyrion is having every blacksmith in the city create this chain trying to get it ready in time and everyone is like what the hell are you going to do with this chain.

Ahh, I get it now. Thanks.

That was a nice interview
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947

The chain was the only major omission, but there were some pretty major tweaks from the book. There is a boat loaded up with wildfire in the books, but that's more of a coup de grace after they had already flung many pots from the Kings Landing walls. In the book, Bronn doesn't shoot any arrows to light it up; instead, one of Stannis' ships rams the wildfire boat, not realizing what was in it.

Also, Tyrion's part in the battle is much more extended and glorious than they portray in the show.

Finally, I don't remember Cersei almost double-suiciding with Tommen in the book. Did that happen?
    intodeep wrote:
    Not really.

this wouldve been way cooler imo.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    intodeep wrote:
    Not really.

It would have been very cool to have been like it was in the book, but the budget would also have been something similar what Peter Jackson had with the Lord of the Rings. I don't think HBO was ready to drop that kind of coin on one episode. Overall, I thought is was amazing considering what they had to work with.
    intodeep wrote:
    Not really.

It would have been very cool to have been like it was in the book, but the budget would also have been something similar what Peter Jackson had with the Lord of the Rings. I don't think HBO was ready to drop that kind of coin on one episode. Overall, I thought is was amazing considering what they had to work with.

well i dunno... they already sprung for the wildfire and we saw destruction of ships so the added expense of a chain, some mines and a few more boats.. all are possible with CGI or creative lighting and angles, couldntve been that prohibitive surely?

oh lordy my heart stopped when tyrian got slashed but then someone assured hes ok(even tho he didnt look ok) so im happy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    So... watched the episode last night, with all the lights off (which definitely made it much more watchable...)

Anyway, I was a little disappointed with it, I have to say. The battle in the book is much more extended and grueling than what came off in the episode, but I guess that comes with having to adapt it for a 55 minute TV episode.

I was really hoping they'd do the bridge of ships out into the bay, with Tyrion fighting his way out with a mace, just like the book, but alas... Tyrion still was badass though - and when Podrick put a spear through the face of the white cloak, well that was just epic...

I didn't like the fact that the chain was omitted, that was a really big part of the story line in the book... Also, the Hound kissing Sansa was taken out as well, and I don't really know why... I thought for sure they were going to do it, but apparently not.

Was very happy that they did include Renly's ghost leading Tywin's army into battle - did anyone else catch that? For a second I thought they were going to omit it and I got quite concerned...

All in all a good episode, but man, gotta say that the books are just so much better. Only 100 pages left of a dance with dragons, and I'm wondering if there's going to be anymore twists in the book... :corn:

Oh and for the record the Rains of Castamere by The National during the credits was awesome... I have to go find a copy of that version.... big fan of The National, and was really surprised that they were chosen to do it... it sounded great...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    Was very happy that they did include Renly's ghost leading Tywin's army into battle - did anyone else catch that? For a second I thought they were going to omit it and I got quite concerned...

I didn't like the fact that the chain was omitted, that was a really big part of the story line in the book... Also, the Hound kissing Sansa was taken out as well, and I don't really know why... I thought for sure they were going to do it, but apparently not.

Oh and for the record the Rains of Castamere by The National during the credits was awesome... I have to go find a copy of that version.... big fan of The National, and was really surprised that they were chosen to do it... it sounded great...

LOVED the national's version or rains of castamere too!

I did notice Loras, but I wasn't 100% sure that was renly's armor but it must have been. Would have been nice if they mentioned that somehow to make viewers aware of it.

I may be misremembering, I am pretty sure in Clash with Kings they actually do not kiss, but later in the books Sansa thinks they kissed. She said that was her first kiss, but it never really happened. She over roamnticised the situation. Which from a psychological stand point opens up so many doors of why she would do that.

I'm at work and dont' have the books but i pulled it up on Tower of the Hand in their chapter review and it does not mention the kiss there either:

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/102/063/index.html
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    intodeep wrote:
    shep wrote:

LOVED the national's version or rains of castamere too!

I did notice Loras, but I wasn't 100% sure that was renly's armor but it must have been. Would have been nice if they mentioned that somehow to make viewers aware of it.

I may be misremembering, I am pretty sure in Clash with Kings they actually do not kiss, but later in the books Sansa thinks they kissed. She said that was her first kiss, but it never really happened. She over roamnticised the situation. Which from a psychological stand point opens up so many doors of why she would do that.

I'm at work and dont' have the books but i pulled it up on Tower of the Hand in their chapter review and it does not mention the kiss there either:

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/102/063/index.html

Going to have to go back now and double check, but I was sure there was kiss in the book... (also at work, so no way to check until I get home)... but maybe it was my imagination running wild...

And yes, "renly's ghost" was definitely there... there is a point where you can see the helm with large stag's antlers attached to the forehead.... it's only a quick flash, but I definitely saw it...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    shep wrote:
    So... watched the episode last night, with all the lights off (which definitely made it much more watchable...)

Anyway, I was a little disappointed with it, I have to say. The battle in the book is much more extended and grueling than what came off in the episode, but I guess that comes with having to adapt it for a 55 minute TV episode.

I was really hoping they'd do the bridge of ships out into the bay, with Tyrion fighting his way out with a mace, just like the book, but alas... Tyrion still was badass though - and when Podrick put a spear through the face of the white cloak, well that was just epic...

All in all a good episode, but man, gotta say that the books are just so much better. Only 100 pages left of a dance with dragons, and I'm wondering if there's going to be anymore twists in the book... :corn:

Agree about the chain, but the green glowing wildfire looked great.

I missed Renly's ghost, I'll have to watch it again. I keep telling my husband to read the books, he's afraid it's going to be boring after watching the show and I tell him there's so much more detail - one tiny example, Hodor carrying Bran and Bran's head hitting doorways (actually Hodor is really interesting). Watching the series makes me want to read all the books again.

Loved Rains of Castamere so much I found it online so I could listen to it over and over.
    shep wrote:
    And yes, "renly's ghost" was definitely there... there is a point where you can see the helm with large stag's antlers attached to the forehead.... it's only a quick flash, but I definitely saw it...

It was Renly's armor he had on. You could tell by the helmet.
    shep wrote:

Going to have to go back now and double check, but I was sure there was kiss in the book... (also at work, so no way to check until I get home)... but maybe it was my imagination running wild...

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2008/02/07_a_kiss_to_remember_me_by/index.html

The above link is interesting as it pulls quotes from the books.
    At First i thought it was just Martin messing up since as the above link shows Sansa mentions twice that it was a kiss from Sandor, but I think it is interesting that when sandor talks about it later he does not mention it either.

I honestly would not have caught onto it not happening in ACoK on my own, i think it was first brough to my attention either on a discussion on Tower of the Hand or Westoros.org
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    shep wrote:

I happened to have the episode on a flash drive and checked it out on my lunch break. He shows up on the battlefield as Tyrion is on the ground and Cercei is opening the poison.
    shep wrote:

I happened to have the episode on a flash drive and checked it out on my lunch break. He shows up on the battlefield as Tyrion is on the ground and Cercei is opening the poison.
    Nice, i'm pretty sure i missed that. I noticed him when Tywin came though the door but i missed him in the battle scene
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    It was very brief. Unfortunately at work I'm limited to Windows Media Player so I couldn't get a capture of the frame.