A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    shep wrote:
    And yes, "renly's ghost" was definitely there... there is a point where you can see the helm with large stag's antlers attached to the forehead.... it's only a quick flash, but I definitely saw it...

It was Renly's armor he had on. You could tell by the helmet.

I happened to have the episode on a flash drive and checked it out on my lunch break. He shows up on the battlefield as Tyrion is on the ground and Cercei is opening the poison.

Nice catch, I totally missed that too! Definitely watching this episode again, it was my favorite of the whole season. Of course there were some changes, but it really seems like they did the best they could with the limited time and budget. If it had been a 2 hour episode that would have been perfect!

Love love loved Cersei in this episode...I mean, of course I don't love her...you know what I mean!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Love love loved Cersei in this episode...I mean, of course I don't love her...you know what I mean!

you respect her primo bitchness. i hear you.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:thumbup:

My hubby doesn't watch the show but he watched this week's episode with me because I wouldn't shut up about how excited I was about it. He just kept asking about Cersei "why is she being so mean to that girl?"....where to begin?!!! :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    intodeep wrote:
    shep wrote:

Going to have to go back now and double check, but I was sure there was kiss in the book... (also at work, so no way to check until I get home)... but maybe it was my imagination running wild...

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2008/02/07_a_kiss_to_remember_me_by/index.html

The above link is interesting as it pulls quotes from the books.
    At First i thought it was just Martin messing up since as the above link shows Sansa mentions twice that it was a kiss from Sandor, but I think it is interesting that when sandor talks about it later he does not mention it either.

I honestly would not have caught onto it not happening in ACoK on my own, i think it was first brough to my attention either on a discussion on Tower of the Hand or Westoros.org

Interesting website... almost sounds a little too much like highschool lit (English) class... I will be staying far far away... there is a reason why I am an engineer :lol: ... i find dissecting books like that sucks the fun out of it for me... I can still remember the quote from Cole's notes on Lord of The Flies that ruined lit class forever for me:

"And when they rammed the spear up the sow's ass, it represented the boys urges to violate their mothers."

At that point I decided the analysis of the book had gone too far and I tapped out.... :?

To be fair, I might be thinking that they kissed during that scene due to Sansa's later "illusions" to it in the book, I definitely remember those passages as quoted on the site about her thinking back to the hound kissing her...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

My hubby doesn't watch the show but he watched this week's episode with me because I wouldn't shut up about how excited I was about it. He just kept asking about Cersei "why is she being so mean to that girl?"....where to begin?!!! :lol:
    The real question is what the hell was that gold breast plate she was wearing lol :?:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    shep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    shep wrote:

Going to have to go back now and double check, but I was sure there was kiss in the book... (also at work, so no way to check until I get home)... but maybe it was my imagination running wild...

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2008/02/07_a_kiss_to_remember_me_by/index.html

The above link is interesting as it pulls quotes from the books.
    At First i thought it was just Martin messing up since as the above link shows Sansa mentions twice that it was a kiss from Sandor, but I think it is interesting that when sandor talks about it later he does not mention it either.

I honestly would not have caught onto it not happening in ACoK on my own, i think it was first brough to my attention either on a discussion on Tower of the Hand or Westoros.org

Interesting website... almost sounds a little too much like highschool lit (English) class... I will be staying far far away... there is a reason why I am an engineer :lol: ... i find dissecting books like that sucks the fun out of it for me... I can still remember the quote from Cole's notes on Lord of The Flies that ruined lit class forever for me:

"And when they rammed the spear up the sow's ass, it represented the boys urges to violate their mothers."

At that point I decided the analysis of the book had gone too far and I tapped out.... :?

To be fair, I might be thinking that they kissed during that scene due to Sansa's later "illusions" to it in the book, I definitely remember those passages as quoted on the site about her thinking back to the hound kissing her...

I hear ya!

to be fair they do essay's and have discussions about the books, but if you go to their main page they have topics for each one of the shows and when the new book came out for each chapter. so in a way it is like a site just like this thread with a lot of people talking about what they liked and of course bitching about what they dont like.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    The real question is what the hell was that gold breast plate she was wearing lol :?:

:lol: I said the SAME THING!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    what's this show about again? woman ran upstairs the other night to watch it. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    what's this show about again? woman ran upstairs the other night to watch it. :lol:

Just watch it...seriously. If you're not hooked after the first episode I'd be surprised. It's a fantasy show, but don't let that scare you, it's very well done...the author of the books has been compared to Tolkien, so if you like Lord of the Rings this would be up your alley. Basically it's this other world and there are all these different families that are vying for the crown. What's great about it is that the characters are insanely in-depth and real, they change over the course of time and you really get into all the different storylines. It's also totally unpredictable, which is what I personally love most about it. A friend of mine described the author as having "very serious homicidal tendencies" towards his main characters.

Aaaand there's lots of boobs :lol:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

cause shes a bitch honey. :lol:

did you mention to him that little king shit is the spawn of her and her brother?? ewww
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Just watch it...seriously. If you're not hooked after the first episode I'd be surprised. It's a fantasy show, but don't let that scare you, it's very well done...the author of the books has been compared to Tolkien, so if you like Lord of the Rings this would be up your alley. Basically it's this other world and there are all these different families that are vying for the crown. What's great about it is that the characters are insanely in-depth and real, they change over the course of time and you really get into all the different storylines. It's also totally unpredictable, which is what I personally love most about it. A friend of mine described the author as having "very serious homicidal tendencies" towards his main characters.

Aaaand there's lots of boobs :lol:

can i just get the boobs and skip the rest. :?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    intodeep wrote:

Man.. I saw that and I had to do a double take.... that thing was ridiculous! :lol: Right up there with that vase/dress thing Margaery Tyrell was wearing a few episodes back...

it would appear women's fashion is just as ridiculous in the realm as it is in real life! :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    81 wrote:

Oh come on!

You're just poking fun cause this is on the only 70 page thread on the board you're not involved in! :P
    shep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Man.. I saw that and I had to do a double take.... that thing was ridiculous! :lol: Right up there with that vase/dress thing Margaery Tyrell was wearing a few episodes back...

it would appear women's fashion is just as ridiculous in the realm as it is in real life! :lol:
    Natalie Dormier can wear anything she wants and id still date her :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22

did you mention to him that little king shit is the spawn of her and her brother?? ewww

:lol: Oh yes I did!!! haha little king shit, that's exactly what he is! I watched the commentaries from season 1, and the one with Lena Headey was so great, she just kept on calling him a little shit the whole time. She's got a very serious trucker mouth, and I love it!
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:lol: Oh yes I did!!! haha little king shit, that's exactly what he is! I watched the commentaries from season 1, and the one with Lena Headey was so great, she just kept on calling him a little shit the whole time. She's got a very serious trucker mouth, and I love it!

did you see how as the battle was beginning he couldnt wait to run when mummy called him? a prime example of how ridiculous monarchy is.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    81 wrote:

:fp:

:lol:

did you see how as the battle was beginning he couldnt wait to run when mummy called him? a prime example of how ridiculous monarchy is.

Oh yeah...when he said to Lancel something like "does my mother have urgent business to discuss with me"...like c'mon man!!!! Tyrion should have slapped him again!
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Oh yeah...when he said to Lancel something like "does my mother have urgent business to discuss with me"...like c'mon man!!!! Tyrion should have slapped him again!

her son is just about to run into battle.. what urgent business does he think she couldve possibly have had with him aside from saving his arse. oops gotta go my mummy is calling me. do you think youll be allowed out tomorrow to defend your people?? umm maybe ill ask mummy. kids. :roll: :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    The Reeds will be in season 3!!!!!!!!!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/game-of-throne-season-3-cast/

And the Blackfish!!! YES!
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:D
    Queen of Thorns too :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:D
    Queen of Thorns too :)

Queen of thorns is exciting, but much more so the Blackfish. He was supposed to have left the Bloody Gate with Catelyn wasn't he? where has the TV show been hiding him? :?
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    It's a fantasy show, but don't let that scare you, it's very well done...the author of the books has been compared to Tolkien, so if you like Lord of the Rings this would be up your alley.

Ive heard this before but whoever actually said it either hasnt read Tolkien, hasnt read more then the first chapter of AGOT, or is just an idiot.

Tolkien's stories are very history/setting based, and Martin is very character driven. Good vs evil or everyone is pretty much a different shade of gray. Don't get me wrong i like both authors works but Tolkien is miles apart from Martin. Very different in almost every way other then pretty low magic fantasy worlds. If i had to compare Martin to a prior generation fantasy author id go with Robert E Howard with character development, and minus the horror aspect.
    edited May 2012
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    It's a fantasy show, but don't let that scare you, it's very well done...the author of the books has been compared to Tolkien, so if you like Lord of the Rings this would be up your alley.

Ive heard this before but whoever actually said it either hasnt read Tolkien, hasnt read more then the first chapter of AGOT, or is just an idiot.

Tolkien's stories are very history/setting based, and Martin is very character driven. Good vs evil or everyone is pretty much a different shade of gray. Don't get me wrong i like both authors works but Tolkien is miles apart from Martin. Very different in almost every way other then pretty low magic fantasy worlds. If i had to compare Martin to a prior generation fantasy author id go with Robert E Howard with character development, and minus the horror aspect.

I agree for the most part, but I think the way they are similar is the tales they craft (though different) seem to be able to reach a broad audience who are not typically drawn in by the genre. In that way they are similar in their story telling, just for different reason's which you point out.
    Post edited by intodeep on
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    In my opinion, Tolkein is aimed more at a younger audience while GoT is better suited for a more mature crowd. I tried to watch Fellowship on Sunday, but I couldn't get through it all. Thankfully my download of the latest episode had already finished. I love Tolkein's books and thought the films were great when they were first released, but I guess GoT has changed my view on the fantasy genre (on screen, at least).
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Meera is so awesome cant wait, and Blackfish!! I was starting to worry this show might go downhill with these character cuts, good to see thats not the case.
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    oh lordy my heart stopped when tyrian got slashed but then someone assured hes ok(even tho he didnt look ok) so im happy.

please guys, no spoilers.. i would have guessed they wouldn't "Ned Stark" him but still.. ;)

amazing episode.. Cersei's scenes were so good. they should let GRRM write more episodes!

it was a little weird for me when The National played through the credits.. not because it wasn't good, but so far it was always instrumental theme music and to have a real, modern band was weird.. (not importan, i know :? )
    will watch it again tommorow to notice all the stuff i missed..
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Rewatching now.... Prepping for Sunday
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    Anyone get the impression that they are condensing the books in the show? For interest, does Daario Naharis appear before book 4? Maybe he does...I don't know. I just have this theory that there is no way they could continue to follow the books so closely. As the producers have said, the show would fail under the weight of so many new faces; I think the same is true for storylines.

I certainly hope they continue to make the show, but I get the feeling that they will be condensing book storylines as they go forward. I have a theory on how they'll do it, but I don't want to spoil anything for non-readers here.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    is sunday episode last for the season?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”