A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    Noooooooooo not the dragons!!! Man I HATE when they end the show like that!

Great episode last night! Now Com'on Sunday!!
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    Last night was the first time I was annoyed at the changes too. I guess it is worse for people that have read the books. Everyone I work with who have not read the books have enjoyed it though.

This is not what I want to hear... Will download the episode tonight and watch ASAP, but i've been a little annoyed at the "minor" story variations they've made so far... I don't know what you're referencing, but I hope it doesn't ruin it for me... :fp:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    edited May 2012
    Better Dan wrote:
    Last night was the first time I was annoyed at the changes too. I guess it is worse for people that have read the books. Everyone I work with who have not read the books have enjoyed it though.

Right, I haven't read the books and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm curious though, what was changed?
    I'll try to focus just on last episode.
    -Littlefinger never meets with Tywin
    -Ygritte does not run away Jon lets her go on his own free will because he can't kill her. There is a later scene between jon and Halfhand that this ruins
    -There are two people Meera and Jojen Reed that go with Osha/Bran/Hodor and Ricken that they are just leaving out alltogether.
    -Dany's group is not slaugtered. Irri does not die. Her dragons are never captured.
    - The girl Rob is flirting with is completly different in the book. I won't go into detail as it would spoil future events, but i don't understand why they felt the change was necesary
    -Ayra's second kille was differnet than the book, but so was her first. I actually thought this was a good way to get the second one in there since they changed the first.
    -Ser Rodrik Dies in the book but it happens quite differnetly (still happens at the seige of Winterfell so not that different)
    (i may have missed some so please others chime in)

Many of these are minor and i can somewhat understand, but the thing with Jon and Ygritte annoys the hell out of me because i'm a certified Jon Snow fanboy and when that shit happend :fp: It seems minor, but besides the ripple effect it makes no sense. Yes ghost is not always around because he goes hunting, but guess what Ghost was always there when shit went down. I find it amazing he did not come leaping out of the side screen and run ygritte down way before Jon ever catches up to her.
    [/end nerd rant]

for the record i may be bitching but i still enjoyed the episode. I just had more scratch my head momments last night then i ever had before
    Post edited by intodeep on
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    someone needs to slap that boyking more often.. what a whiny little bitch... shoulda called him anakin.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    intodeep wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

Right, I haven't read the books and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm curious though, what was changed?
    -Ygritte does not run away Jon lets her go on his own free will because he can't kill her. There is a later scene between jon and Halfhand that this ruins
    -There are two people Meera and Jojen Reed that go with Osha/Bran/Hodor and Ricken that they are just leaving out alltogether.
    -Dany's group is not slaugtered. Irri does not die. Her dragons are never captured.
    - The girl Rob is flirting with is completly different in the book. I won't go into detail as it would spoil future events, but i don't understand why they felt the change was necesary
    -Ayra's second kille was differnet than the book, but so was her first. I actually thought this was a good way to get the second one in there since they changed the first.
    -Ser Rodrik Dies in the book but it happens quite differnetly (still happens at the seige of Winterfell so not that different)

Many of these are minor and i can somewhat understand, but the thing with Jon and Ygritte annoys the hell out of me because i'm a certified Jon Snow fanboy and when that shit happend :fp: It seems minor, but besides the ripple effect it makes no sense. Yes ghost is not always around because he goes hunting, but guess what Ghost was always there when shit went down. I find it amazing he did not come leaping out of the side screen and run ygritte down way before Jon ever catches up to her.
    [/end nerd rant]

for the record i may be bitching but i still enjoyed the episode. I just had more scratch my head momments last night then i ever had before

This was a good rant!!! :thumbup: :clap:
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    ready to watch it..just finish download :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    intodeep wrote:

[/end nerd rant]

I was looking forward to Meera and Jojen. not sure how that is going to effect that story line. And I think the idea of Jon lettering Ygritte go was a big moment for book 2. I think GRRM is OK with these since he is so involved with the show, and I don't necessarily think they are bad, they were just a lot in one episode.

I agree about Ghost, I was waiting for him to jump out when they were running. At least they showed the wolves last night.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    We can always use more direwolf action. They are bad ass :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    We can always use more direwolf action. They are bad ass :)
    +1
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I was also extremely upset with all the changes last night. The Reeds are a pivotal part of the plot, I can only hope that they will meet up with them along the way. Dany loses her dragons? I thought that was insanely stupid and I don't know why they wanted to do that. And why oh why oh why is Tywin in Harrenhal and why did they put Petyr there?? I don't really mind Robb meeting with this girl, I think they're probably just doing it to show how he falls in love with her, I guess it doesn't really matter who the girl is as long as events happen as they did in Storm of Swords.
    They totally cut the part where Tyrion poisons Cersei, just realized that this morning. Too bad. But man when he slapped Joffrey, ah what an awesome moment!! I literally jumped up that was so great!

They really do a good job of making you hate Theon though, just looking at him makes me cringe! I CANNOT wait until they introduce the Bolton's bastard, but I think we'll have to wait a bit if I remember correctly.

And as much as I hate Ygritte out of jealousy :lol: I think the girl playing her is really good and I like that they already started with her being playful with Jon.

So we've got, what, 4 episodes left now? All in all I still love the show, I just hope that everything ties in so as to not change the major plots.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I was also extremely upset with all the changes last night. The Reeds are a pivotal part of the plot, I can only hope that they will meet up with them along the way. Dany loses her dragons? I thought that was insanely stupid and I don't know why they wanted to do that. And why oh why oh why is Tywin in Harrenhal and why did they put Petyr there?? I don't really mind Robb meeting with this girl, I think they're probably just doing it to show how he falls in love with her, I guess it doesn't really matter who the girl is as long as events happen as they did in Storm of Swords.
    They totally cut the part where Tyrion poisons Cersei, just realized that this morning. Too bad. But man when he slapped Joffrey, ah what an awesome moment!! I literally jumped up that was so great!

They really do a good job of making you hate Theon though, just looking at him makes me cringe! I CANNOT wait until they introduce the Bolton's bastard, but I think we'll have to wait a bit if I remember correctly.

And as much as I hate Ygritte out of jealousy :lol: I think the girl playing her is really good and I like that they already started with her being playful with Jon.

So we've got, what, 4 episodes left now? All in all I still love the show, I just hope that everything ties in so as to not change the major plots.

I agree with everything you said (except I forgot about the part where Tyrion poisons Cersei). Who has kidnapped the dragons? Really? I though that was stupid, too. And I think Theon is really confusing if you haven't read the books - my husband doesn't understand his character at all.

I love the show but it feels more unwieldy (is that the right word?) this season. Like Eddard was such a center of the first season and this season we're hopping around way too much. And I love love the books.

Ygritte is gorgeous. They make a gorgeous couple.
    So when Ygritte ask Jon do you think your friends will come looking for you and he says yes i know they will was i the only one that soooooo wanted a "You know nothing jon snow" to be the next line?? :D

As much as i bitch i enjoyed it.

I totally fogot about Tyrion poisening Cersie! good call mamasan23!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    Enkidu wrote:
    And I think Theon is really confusing if you haven't read the books - my husband doesn't understand his character at all.
    Yes! This is why I was saying (after last week's episode) that maybe I had missed something in his storyline that had me so confused about him. After a few of you attempted to enlighten me he began to make more sense, but I still think they could have written him a bit better for those who didn't read the books.
    Enkidu wrote:
    I love the show but it feels more unwieldy (is that the right word?) this season. Like Eddard was such a center of the first season and this season we're hopping around way too much. And I love love the books.
    I was thinking this last night, too.

I really enjoyed last night's show, but I'm kind of irritated now to hear that the dragons were never stolen. :?
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
    Enkidu wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I agree with everything you said (except I forgot about the part where Tyrion poisons Cersei). Who has kidnapped the dragons? Really? I though that was stupid, too. And I think Theon is really confusing if you haven't read the books - my husband doesn't understand his character at all.

Ygritte is gorgeous. They make a gorgeous couple.

I thought the Dragons being kid napped was dumb too, but everyone I know who watches but has not read the books, was OK with it, and asking who did it and why?

I guess the writers wanted to make Danny's story more interesting before season 3. I think they were concerned since she is a central character and not much happens with her this season.

I thought Theon's men were going to start heckling him during the execution
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    I havent watched any of season two cause ill wait for the blu-rays, like i did for season 1. but this has me worried. if they write out the reeds, what does that mean for the future of howland? after 5 books everyone is waiting for him to show up because he may be the only character we know of in the series that knows who jon snows mother is. the reed kids are huge to bran's story but howland could have the biggest impact to the conclusion of the story. what if in book 6 or 7 howland does verify that snow is rhaegar's son. assuming the show is still running do they just pull 'here is a character we never hinted to but surprise!!! its really not a deux ex machina, you just havent read the books?' i think alot of people will feel cheated if thats how it all goes down.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    wtf with the stolen dragons. I did not like that change at all.
    Jon's story didn't bother me so much, I do remember Ghost being away a lot at that time.
    I love that the hound is silently growling at Joffrey..hahahehe, little prick....

All in all pretty good.

Look at the turn of events in True Blood. Change a little of this, a little of that and poof. The books are the "base" of the show, not THE show. Which in TB's case is good, cause watching Sookie boff all kinds of human/changer thingies gets boring after a while :lol:

Still very entertaining. I like there are a few variations....but not the dragons....that sucked butt.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    intodeep wrote:
    So when Ygritte ask Jon do you think your friends will come looking for you and he says yes i know they will was i the only one that soooooo wanted a "You know nothing jon snow" to be the next line?? :D

As much as i bitch i enjoyed it.

I totally fogot about Tyrion poisening Cersie! good call mamasan23!

YES!!!!! I was sooo waiting for the 'you know nothing jon snow' right at that point!!! Maybe next week :D
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    btw,that Theon...has so shitty creepy face...
    btw,that Theon...has so shitty creepy face...

yes, he creeps me out. weird looking dude
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    So I'm 5 episodes into season 1 and I've concluded that doggy style is the preferred sexual position.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    So I'm 5 episodes into season 1 and I've concluded that doggy style is the preferred sexual position.
    lol too true :lol:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    i'm only about halfway through the second book so i did enjoy this episode very much.. my favorite in this season so far actually..
    I really liked some of the small changes they made in the first season, like making Shae way more interesting than she was in the book.. after the drinking game with Tyrion and Bronn, i really wanted to know more about her..
    Dany is kinda funny.. i mean, she's barely got any men left, her dragons are still babies and she's going around threatening everyone with her "I'm Daenerys Stormborn" speech..
    I do hope we get to meet the Reed kids at some point. i really liked their conversation with Bran about his dreams in the book..

also, did anyone else think about The Walking Dead when the rioters tore off that guys arm..? :)

only 4 episodes left.. :cry:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    was that the kids hanging??? boo theon boo. :x
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    Good shit!
    There you go...

"You know nothing Jon Snow"

Only 2 more episodes left? is that right??

I'm really liking "Girls" but I have to suffer through VEEP to get to it.
    Yes, Bran and Rickon :cry:

They said two more episodes but i'm pretty sure that was a mistake there should be 3 more to go.
    @yarden yes i thought the ripping of the arm was very walking deadish which was cool

The first "you know nothing jon snow" :D

I thought it jumped around a lot (guess i should get used to that) but otherwise it was pretty good. I still don't like how they make Cersie more sympathetic in show than she is but thats okay.

My roomate mentioned he is not sure who he hates more now Joffrey or Theon

The last few episodes should be great.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I thouoght it was a pretty good episode- kind of sets up everyones story for the final 3 episodes. "Blackwater" in two weeks. :D

After rewatching last weeks, and this weeks, I don't mind the changes in the story as much. I'm curious to see where they go with it now. I think they will still follow the overall story arc GRRM has put down so far, I am just curious to see how it will be different than the books now. I do wish the wolves were more invovled. No way Jon Snow would have walked around with two days with just Ygritte and Ghost never shows up.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I liked the episode last night. The whole "King of Qarth" moment was unexpected but superbly acted out and I cannot wait to see what happens next there.

Over in King's Landing, I've got a feeling that Tyrion is plotting something special and I can't wait to find out what it is. He's definitely going to be getting blood on his hands soon...I can feel it.
    . I do wish the wolves were more invovled. No way Jon Snow would have walked around with two days with just Ygritte and Ghost never shows up.
    True.
    No way in hell he walks into that wilding trap with ghost around he would sniff them out a mile away :nono:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    intodeep wrote:
    Yes, Bran and Rickon :cry:

:cry:

I am still shocked over it!
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09