A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    I read a while back that GRRM has shared his vision on how the story resolves with the shows producers in case he dies before he can finish writing. Hopefully it won't come to that, but at least we know that he has a resolution in mind and we will see it regardless.

Both of the writers have said GRRM has given them some great spoilers about where the story is going to go, and not just with Winds of Winter. Buit it seems like he is moving along pretty good with Book 6 so far. I would also think he probably has the story pretty well outlined in case something were to happen.

AndI did reread an old interview that some of the characters and scenes from books 2 and 3 could be moved from season 2 and into season 3/4 and vise versa. I guess they were worried about introducing too many new characters at once. For the TV audience that has not read the books, probably a good move. So there is still hope for some of them to show next season.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    it never occurred to me that theon knew the bodies werent the princes... so that was a nice surprise for me in last nights episode.

I always feel like I've missed something when watching this show!
    Does/did Theon know those weren't the princes??

I thought, from his reaction at the end of the previous week's episode, that he was just as shocked to see their burned bodies as the rest of the onlookers. I had assumed he ordered their murders but didn't participate in it. But, did I miss something this week where it was implied he knows they weren't killed?

(I swear I think I'm paying attention each week! :lol: )

theon knew. i think his look came from seeing charred bodies of children regardless of who they were. its not a pretty sight even for an arsehole like theon.
    what you might of missed is when he handed a bag on money to someone(i dont know their name) and said soemting like give this to the farmer for his trouble. and then of course we saw the princes so we knew it wasnt their bodies. maybe ive got that backwards but those 2 scenes were in last sundays episode.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    intodeep wrote:
    I have doubts it will be finished much less finished in 7.
    the next book will be very telling.

SHEP- Pretty sure we'll get the Battle at the Fist of the First Men next season and the entire Qarth storyline was fabricated by HBO for the most part. You are correct teh 13 were not killed.

I am lowering my expectations for the House of the Undying. As a book reader you are unsure who exactly Dany sees. It is ambiguious. They have really not gone into much of the backstory at all in the show so it is kind of hard to just open it up. Hopefully we'll get some of it though

I will say the next two should be fun. When they announced the series the three scenes in the first two books i was most looking forward to watching unfold were: Ned's Beheading, House of the Undying, and Battle of Blackwater. With two of those three in the next two episodes its easy to say i've been waiting for this for some time.

don't mess it up hbo :x

:lol:...

Yea, the book is really ambiguous about what happens in the house of the undying... i actually had to read that chapter a couple of times to try and absorb it all... and even after the 3rd pass it was still open to interpretation... I'm not sure how well they'll handle it in transferring it to TV.

Either way the next 2 episodes should be epic. I hope they stick with Tyrion's and Davos' viewpoints for the battle of the Blackwater... they were two fantastic characters to use in the books and I really like both of them in the TV series... Can't wait to see Tyrion in action with his mace (they better give him a mace!)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    it never occurred to me that theon knew the bodies werent the princes... so that was a nice surprise for me in last nights episode.

I always feel like I've missed something when watching this show!
    Does/did Theon know those weren't the princes??

I thought, from his reaction at the end of the previous week's episode, that he was just as shocked to see their burned bodies as the rest of the onlookers. I had assumed he ordered their murders but didn't participate in it. But, did I miss something this week where it was implied he knows they weren't killed?

(I swear I think I'm paying attention each week! :lol: )

theon knew. i think his look came from seeing charred bodies of children regardless of who they were. its not a pretty sight even for an arsehole like theon.
    what you might of missed is when he handed a bag on money to someone(i dont know their name) and said soemting like give this to the farmer for his trouble. and then of course we saw the princes so we knew it wasnt their bodies. maybe ive got that backwards but those 2 scenes were in last sundays episode.

Oh, okay! I do remember him handing the bag off, but didn't put 2&2 together (obviously!).
    I'm really going to have to start reading the books once this season is over.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    i really need to read the book..

Yes you do!!! Seriously the best series of books I've ever read in my life. My hubby is sick of hearing me talk about them :D
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    Just started book 5. I still haven't seen the TV show yet. Must get around to it soon.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    i really need to read the book..

Yes you do!!! Seriously the best series of books I've ever read in my life. My hubby is sick of hearing me talk about them :D

My husband is sick of me talking about the books too - I keep telling him he should still read them because there's so much more in the books. Like Davos (love him) and Brienne (love her). He's like, Shut up. I need some more scenes of naked women in the brothel.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Finally checking in again, and just went through all my unread posts on this thread.

Love it! Great reading, thank you.

So I've been listening to the audiobooks and was almost caught up _ but not quite _ when the Iron Islanders hoisted the charred bodies on the walls at Winterfell. I was beside myself. Honest to God, I was in such a funk for two days, until I got to the scene in the audiobooks when it's revealed that it wasn't Bran and Rickon. ("The miller's sons were of an age with Bran and Rickon..." or something like that.)

I'm also looking forward to The House of the Undying. I found that one a bit difficult to follow in the audiobook, sounds like some of those of you who read the books felt the same way. Weird, and really exciting to think about how this will play out on screen.

I finished Book 2 on Sunday night, during my drive home from upstate New York. Book 3 is downloaded and ready to go.

Here are my random thoughts:

Arya: I hope, hope, hope she gets to slay Ser Ilyn, The King's Justice. Using Ice (which is a stretch, since the sword is probably two feet talker than she is)

Tyrian: This guy steals every single scene. He is just amazing, and I love when he mocks Cersei. She might be evil and smart, but she's no match for him when it comes to wits

Direwolves: More, please, and I'm patiently waiting for Nymeria to return at some critical point, I'm sure she will and it would be sweet if she ripped Joffrey's throat out

Bran: I want him to be Lord of Winterfell

Jamie Lannister, hate the man, love his quips. "So many vows."

Jon Snow: Sinful that a guy that hot would take a vow of celibacy. Purely sinful

The Hound: He has really grown on me, he's one of my very favorite characters

Shae: In the audiobook, the narrator's accent for her voice makes her sound a little coarse, not polished at all like the Shae in the show (who I like very much). It's a bit disconcerting

Theon: The guy who plays him is named Alfie, which makes me think of:
    alfred-e-newman.jpg
    6691.jpg?t=1303021287
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Tyrian: This guy steals every single scene. He is just amazing, and I love when he mocks Cersei. She might be evil and smart, but she's no match for him when it comes to wits

tyrian is the reason i will read these books when i get the chance... or maybe its cause now i have peter dinklage in my head.

hate is such a strong word. ;) but eww he slept with his sister and the spawn is a bit of an anakin.
    Jon Snow: Sinful that a guy that hot would take a vow of celibacy. Purely sinful

it is sinful. however...i cant imagine those vows will last
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Unlost Dogs-
    you are about to read/listen to Storm of Swords. It is a game changer. It is so Good!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Unlost Dogs-
    you are about to read/listen to Storm of Swords. It is a game changer. It is so Good!

:D;)

I cannot wait.

In fact, I'm going to buy the books as well. I already watch the show again on Monday nights, so why not read AND listen?

:lol:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    intodeep wrote:
    Unlost Dogs-

:D;)

I cannot wait.

In fact, I'm going to buy the books as well. I already watch the show again on Monday nights, so why not read AND listen?

:lol:

That's what i'm doing.... :lol: .... only 250 pages left in a dance with dragons though.... can't wait to finish so I can go over to the spoilers thread and discuss some stuff about plot lines that I won't spoil here for those who haven't made it that far... :nono:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    Has anyone else heard this? I'm at work and can't listen but evidently this is alink to the the National recording of The Rains of Castomere!

http://tywinning.tumblr.com/post/23653656123/the-rains-of-castomere-by-the-national

Its a song that is talked about a lot in the books and i guess it is going to be on the Season 2 or 3 soundtrack.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Has anyone else heard this? I'm at work and can't listen but evidently this is alink to the the National recording of The Rains of Castomere!

http://tywinning.tumblr.com/post/23653656123/the-rains-of-castomere-by-the-national

Its a song that is talked about a lot in the books and i guess it is going to be on the Season 2 or 3 soundtrack.

:clap: Amazing!!!! They'll have to use it during the Red Wedding...holy shit I can't wait to see that on tv!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    can't wait for the next two episodes.. although i kinda don't want it to end since then we'll have to wait almost a year for the next season.. :(
    i guess they made the changes in Dany's story to have more happen in her storyline this season and some of it was nice but some of it felt too made up.. it must have been very challenging for them to make the House of the Undying part.. can't wait to see it..

i love the scenes when you get some Westeros history.. like when Arya talked to Tywin last week about the Targeryans or when they mention The First Men and Robert's war against the mad king..
    i like Jaime and Cersei. they're bad guys but if you didn't have them, what good would the story be..
    i do not, however, like Joffrey.. :nono:
    edited May 2012
    intodeep wrote:

But what about "The Bear and the Maiden Fair?"
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:clap: Amazing!!!! They'll have to use it during the Red Wedding...holy shit I can't wait to see that on tv!!!

I am not looking forward to that bloody mess... still mad about that, and I'm almost finished ADWD... :lol:...
    Post edited by shep on
    No spoilers! No spoilers!

(Now I'm dying to know what the red wedding is...)

But no spoilers, please!

Driving to Vermont in the morning, cannot WAIT to resume A Storm of Swords. Just listened to the first chapter... sooooooooo gooooooooooood...

There are a couple of MAJOR GoT fans at work. They are teasing me about what happens.

:lol::| :x
    Yeah probably best we don't talk about upcoming events like that. I apologize as i've been guilty of it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Yeah, some weak-willed individuals like myself will end up googling them and spoiling upcoming events. Whatever though, I'll enjoy the ride even if I do know a thing or two that'll happen.
    :oops:

Sorry!!! I didn't mean to spoil anything at all, I just get so damn excited!! Unlost...Storm of Swords is hands down the best book I've ever read in my life, you're in for a treat!!

This weekend...EPIC BATTLE!! do do do!!!!
    Don't worry about it, I do it to myself. I don't mind spoilers too much. Knowing Point B and C may not be ideal, but the ride in between is always fun. And I already spoiled some parts of the Red Wedding for myself before you even mentioned it.

I rewatched Sunday's episode last night and it was even better the second time around. So much was set up for the final two episodes and I can't wait to see how this stage of the game plays out.
    No spoilers! No spoilers!

(Now I'm dying to know what the red wedding is...)

But no spoilers, please!

Driving to Vermont in the morning, cannot WAIT to resume A Storm of Swords. Just listened to the first chapter... sooooooooo gooooooooooood...

There are a couple of MAJOR GoT fans at work. They are teasing me about what happens.

:lol::| :x

You'll get there before storm of swords is out... :lol:

I don't mind throwing out references like that because it doesn't really tell you anything about what happens... just references some event... but you're right, might have said a bit too much there... sorry to all those who haven't read the books, I'll be more careful in the future.

BTW - is there an episode this weekend? HBO doesn't take the long weekend off do they? Don't most networks usually skip a week if there's a holiday?
    Yep its on
    same bat time same bat place
    Battle of the Black Water

then Episode Ten is titled: Valar Morghulis

SQUEEEEEEEE :D

I was worried they may somehow leave the Valar Morghulis part out of the story but with it being the title no way they can do it :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    then Episode Ten is titled: Valar Morghulis

SQUEEEEEEEE :D

I was worried they may somehow leave the Valar Morghulis part out of the story but with it being the title no way they can do it :)

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! gah I love me some Jaquen!!!!!
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Yeah, some weak-willed individuals like myself will end up googling them and spoiling upcoming events. Whatever though, I'll enjoy the ride even if I do know a thing or two that'll happen.

I'm weak willed..that's exactly what I did. :oops: I've read a lot of spoilers from the books already though so it doesn't bother me at all. I'll probably forget by the time the show gets to those points. :lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    shep wrote:
    BTW - is there an episode this weekend? HBO doesn't take the long weekend off do they? Don't most networks usually skip a week if there's a holiday?

The major networks do, but usually not the premium or other cable networks. New episode is this weekend so don't forget to set your DVR. And we have Monday off so I can watch it again. :D
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:
    shep wrote:

The major networks do, but usually not the premium or other cable networks. New episode is this weekend so don't forget to set your DVR. And we have Monday off so I can watch it again. :D

:lol: .... set a DVR? no sir! I do not pay for HBO... I'll just be scouring the internets for the torrent within 5 minutes of the episode airing.... :o
    shep wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:
    shep wrote:

:lol: .... set a DVR? no sir! I do not pay for HBO... I'll just be scouring the internets for the torrent within 5 minutes of the episode airing.... :o

:D

Did that for season 1, but I currently have HBO for free and a cheaper package for threatening to cancel my cable. :lol: Will probably have to go back to the torrents for season 3 :thumbup:
    I'm on my second trip through tonights episode. I felt like I missed a thing or two during my first pass through it.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I'm on my second trip through tonights episode. I felt like I missed a thing or two during my first pass through it.

Agree. I only saw it once (and I've read the books). It was also very dark (physically, you know, like all at night, kind of hard to see). Loved Sansa. Loved the song at the end. Love Tyrion, "Fuck me."