A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Better Dan wrote:
    What I got out of it was that some dude who used to be a ranger/nights watch soldier is now leading a bunch of wildlings and they are going to go south towards the wall? Is that in any way correct? :lol:

That's what I gathered.
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    Theon - He wants to impress his dad, so he's breaking all prior alleigances, but he's not that bright, so I can't see him suceeding in the long run. He'll probably eventually fail, try to do the right thing before he dies (à la Boromir).

See, this is what I don't get though. Why would he want to impress his father? It seems so odd to me that his allegiance would be with him after having lived with the Starks for so long. I guess that's why I was so confused with this week's episode and what Theon's intentions are. Have I missed something pivotal (that's been in the show) here that's making me confused as to why he'd suddenly betray the Starks?
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
    Theon - He wants to impress his dad, so he's breaking all prior alleigances, but he's not that bright, so I can't see him suceeding in the long run. He'll probably eventually fail, try to do the right thing before he dies (à la Boromir).

See, this is what I don't get though. Why would he want to impress his father? It seems so odd to me that his allegiance would be with him after having lived with the Starks for so long. I guess that's why I was so confused with this week's episode and what Theon's intentions are. Have I missed something pivotal (that's been in the show) here that's making me confused as to why he'd suddenly betray the Starks?

I figure it's because he was a ward of the Starks, taken when he was a young child. As much as he was treated well by the Starks, he was robbed of his true family and birthright.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It hurts him badly when his father brushes him off coldly. He favors his sister over him which hurts him badly too.
    Sure he was taken care of well and treated well by the starks but he was still a ward/captive. He grew up probably always wanting acceptence. He thought his return would be a grand one. He probably spent most of his life thinking about when he could eventually return to claim the Throne and lead the Iron men like his father has. He probably always wanted to come home and be the son for his father he was denied being able to be due to the war that caused him to be sent away.

Then when he did nothign went as planned. So he is desperate to prove himself to his father. he thought he coudl do that by offering the terms Rob Stark did but his father would not have it.

So Now Theon is hatching his own plan to impress his father and you'll haev to wait till next week to see what that is.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22

I figure it's because he was a ward of the Starks, taken when he was a young child. As much as he was treated well by the Starks, he was robbed of his true family and birthright.

Okay, that makes sense.
    However, I'd be more pissed off at my father for giving me away, but ... that's just me.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Okay, that makes sense.
    However, I'd be more pissed off at my father for giving me away, but ... that's just me.

he didn't really have a choice ... that's what being a ward is ... that was his punishment for being on the wrong side of that war ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Okay, that makes sense.

he didn't really have a choice ... that's what being a ward is ... that was his punishment for being on the wrong side of that war ...
    Yeah, from what I understand Theon's father started an uprising for his independence, lost, and was forced to give up his son to the Starks as a reminder that his actions will not be tolerated.
    polaris_x wrote:
    Okay, that makes sense.

Yeah it is kind of like they did i medevil times.
    His father started a rebellion and lost. So he has to send a blood relative away to keep the peace. With his other sons killed in the war Theon was the logical choice since Yara woudl not be acceptable beign a female.

This way if he does some crazy stuff again they can threaten to kill theon. It is an okay we let you stay in power but if you act up again we hang your son
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    It hurts him badly when his father brushes him off coldly. He favors his sister over him which hurts him badly too.
    Sure he was taken care of well and treated well by the starks but he was still a ward/captive. He grew up probably always wanting acceptence. He thought his return would be a grand one. He probably spent most of his life thinking about when he could eventually return to claim the Throne and lead the Iron men like his father has. He probably always wanted to come home and be the son for his father he was denied being able to be due to the war that caused him to be sent away.

Then when he did nothign went as planned. So he is desperate to prove himself to his father. he thought he coudl do that by offering the terms Rob Stark did but his father would not have it.

So Now Theon is hatching his own plan to impress his father and you'll haev to wait till next week to see what that is.

I guess I'll just keep watching to see how it all plays out.

polaris_x wrote:
    Okay, that makes sense.

Balon's punishment you mean? I understand where his anger towards the Starks comes from; I'm still just having a hard time reconciling why Theon would be so easily turned against the them - ward or not. But, like I said, maybe I just missed something pivotal to this relationship early on in the series.
    Balon's punishment you mean? I understand where his anger towards the Starks comes from; I'm still just having a hard time reconciling why Theon would be so easily turned against the them - ward or not. But, like I said, maybe I just missed something pivotal to this relationship early on in the series.

yeah ... see above ... it was part of the terms of his surrender ...

but for sure, you would think that being treated like a son would mean something ... :lol:
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

You also have to remember that where you come from is practically EVERYTHING in this world. People are very proud of the house they come from, the symbol of their house, and their words. With Theon being an heir to Balon, it's even more amped up for him. It is practically unheard of in most of Westeros (except Dorne I think) for the daughter to be eligible as heir when there is a son (no matter what age). Also, he was never made to fit in with the Starks, so I think he's trying to find his identity. He sees the Greyjoy house as a strong one and has probably always thought of himself as a kraken even in Winterfell, and now he just wants to fit in. He also wants to claim his rights. That's my take anyway!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    intodeep wrote:
    His father started a rebellion and lost. So he has to send a blood relative away to keep the peace. With his other sons killed in the war Theon was the logical choice since Yara woudl not be acceptable beign a female.

This way if he does some crazy stuff again they can threaten to kill theon. It is an okay we let you stay in power but if you act up again we hang your son

Now there's one thing I don't understand - why the hell did HBO change the name of the character?

Balon's daughter is named Asha in the books - did I completely miss something here in the show? Balon just started calling this girl "Yara" and I was like, WTF is going on?
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Now there's one thing I don't understand - why the hell did HBO change the name of the character?

Balon's daughter is named Asha in the books - did I completely miss something here in the show? Balon just started calling this girl "Yara" and I was like, WTF is going on?

ugh I hate that too. Everything i read siad the producers thought it sounded too much like Osha and they were hoping to cut down on any confusion it may have caused so that is why they renamed her Yara.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    ugh I hate that too. Everything i read siad the producers thought it sounded too much like Osha and they were hoping to cut down on any confusion it may have caused so that is why they renamed her Yara.

Stupid. Lord of the Rigs can have multiple characters with pretty much the exact same name... but HBO can't let them use Osha and Asha... lol... I bet if you asked people who hadn't read the books who Osha was they wouldn't even know... :fp:

on that same thought... for some reason I pictured Asha to be much taller, leaner, and attractive that they cast her character...

After that last episode I'm looking forward to Daneary's trip to the warlocks temple... hopefully they do a good job of that scene...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited May 2012
    wub.gif

MV5BMTU5NjQzMjg1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDAwMzY4Mw@@._V1._SY314_CR19,0,214,314_.jpg
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    shep wrote:
    on that same thought... for some reason I pictured Asha to be much taller, leaner, and attractive that they cast her character...

After that last episode I'm looking forward to Daneary's trip to the warlocks temple... hopefully they do a good job of that scene...

I can't even look at Asha/Yara without wanting to puke, she was supposed to be beautiful, no?

OMG the Undying...I'm so excited about that, can't wait to see how they do it!

It also seems like we'll be meeting Ygritte on Sunday...that lucky red-haired beast :evil:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I can't even look at Asha/Yara without wanting to puke, she was supposed to be beautiful, no?

OMG the Undying...I'm so excited about that, can't wait to see how they do it!

It also seems like we'll be meeting Ygritte on Sunday...that lucky red-haired beast :evil:

:lol:
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    interesting episode..
    with so much going on i don't feel like i have time to get to know new characters as well and care about them like i do with the older ones..
    it is funny how some characters who die in the book are still alive on the show and on the other hand someone who is still alive in the book could be dead on the show..
    also, i don't get why Dany needs money.. she just needs her dragons to grow up and then she can do whatever she wants.. i would not keep my dragons in that city where people could get to them..

anyways, who would you guys like to see on the iron throne in the end?
    i'd like it to be Daenerys.. but any Stark, Jon Snow or Tyrion would be cool as well..
    edited May 2012
    shep wrote:

Yes, very excited for The House of the Undying. It will be very interesting to see what they show andwhat they don't.

I could not agree more abut Asha/Yara. She was supposed to be this wild sultry free spirit kind of girl. I pictured her this sexy tom boy that men wanted but might be too afraid she would kick their but. No offense to the actress but she doesn't convey that to me.

VERY excited to meet the one touched by Fire. She from pictures lives up to my expectations.

As for the Iron throne..... I don't know how about Moonboy? :D

If i had to pick from the part of the story the TV show is at now so as not to spoil anything for viewers...... I'd say i'd like for somehow Jon Snow to make the throne. He's always been one of my favs. Bastard not wanted goes the hard way, but of course its tough to see him on the Throne with his commitment to the Night's watch. You kind of can't be an oathbreaker and be king.

If i had to pick one of the remaining 4 kings (Joff, Stannis, Robb, Balon). I'd pick Robb for sure with my heart, but Stannis would probably be best for the Realm. Stannis is a prick and a hard ass but he is fair and not totally insane as long as he keeps Davos close and he heps him keep Melisandra away. The thing is The small folk would much like him becuase he is a hard ass and because he worships the Red God and not the NEw Gods so if he won they would probablay be more war. I just don't know if Robb could hold it all together or if he would even want to. As he tells the girl Alyssa (whatever the nurse's name was) he has no plan after the war.
    Post edited by intodeep on
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    fuck moonboy ... the fact he gets to do certain things irritates the shit out of me ... :lol::lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    fuck moonboy ... the fact he gets to do certain things irritates the shit out of me ... :lol::lol:
    That is very funny
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    That is very funny

i don't want to give it away ... but it's soooo wrong! ... :lol:
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    who is moonboy? he wasn't in the show yet, right?
    Yarden wrote:

lysa arryn's kid ... the one who asks to make tyrion fly ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Yarden wrote:

lysa arryn's kid ... the one who asks to make tyrion fly ...
    Oh i thought they named him Robin (robert in the book)

Moonboy was the court jester in King's Landing I will pm you what i thought you were talking about.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Yarden wrote:
    anyways, who would you guys like to see on the iron throne in the end?
    i'd like it to be Daenerys.. but any Stark, Jon Snow or Tyrion would be cool as well..

I'd agree with Dany too. She'd be a fair queen but would need a strong Hand to help her make the tough decisions...and that could go to Jon Snow :D
    I think Littlefinger is gonna be the hand and that stupid whore Roz is gonna be the hand!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Last night's episode was pretty upsetting for me. I usually don't get too upset at deviations from the books because they have shown to do a good job with it but there were so many WTF moments.

I'll try to just focus on the positives:
    game-of-thrones-season-2-ygritte-rose-leslie1.jpg

Oh my she is everything i hoped for. You truely know nothing jon snow.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    Last night was the first time I was annoyed at the changes too. I guess it is worse for people that have read the books. Everyone I work with who have not read the books have enjoyed it though.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Last night was the first time I was annoyed at the changes too. I guess it is worse for people that have read the books. Everyone I work with who have not read the books have enjoyed it though.

Right, I haven't read the books and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm curious though, what was changed?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City