A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Not having read ahead of the TV show, that last scene was :shock: Major "WTF" moment.

yeah, not sure what to make of this episode.. but things are starting to move..
    the red woman is annoying..
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I miss Danny....although the 13 meeting them at the gate and her saying they would all die if they are denied access and then her taking the city was hysterical.....how can you take our city if your dead??? haha. :roll:
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    things really picked up last night. Great episode!

:corn:
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    So much build up.
    I love that look on Theon's face. He is such a little shit.
    Watching the Dragon breath fire :) that was awesome.

Quoran (sp?) Halfhand was cast very well. Doloras Edd continues to be hilarious.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I watched the 1st episode last night and wow. This is a really f'd up show. :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    downloading now :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544

Missed it last night.... I'm going to have to do the same and watch it tonight!!!
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    I thought it was a solid episode, there was a lot going on, sort of an episode to transition to the 2nd half of the season. The action beyond the wall is starting to pick up. Glad we got to see the wildfire. And the CG still looks good. Happy they at least showed ghost wandering aroudn the camp one time.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759

damn, I meant to set the download before I left for work... oh well... guess I won't get to see it until tomorrow night now... :|
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Will you people watch it already so we can discuss the episode's first 5 or so minutes??!!! :D

Cool to see the Halfhand, he's not what I expected but he was awesome. Interesting to see Jaq'en get the Tickler...but I guess there's no Weese on the show, so that worked out well.

I also LOVED Bran's scene as the Master of Winterfell...that kid is an incredible actor!

Definitely going to watch the ep again, they're always better the 2nd time around!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    I was surprised about the Tickler too! Particularly since there is a scene with him later in the books in Inn that was pretty important.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    Not a fan of the direction of Maegary's character.

But I am enjoying the past few episodes far more, as I'm continually reminding myself that it would be impossible to follow the books to the letter, and that as long as the story generally follows the book-plot (which it does), I'll be happy.

Good episode. The Halfhand didn't look like I thought he would, but I liked the actor. Pyromancer Hallyne looked nothing like I thought he would; in the books, he's far more slimy sounding.

Can't wait for next week!
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Will you people watch it already so we can discuss the episode's first 5 or so minutes??!!! :D

Cool to see the Halfhand, he's not what I expected but he was awesome. Interesting to see Jaq'en get the Tickler...but I guess there's no Weese on the show, so that worked out well.

I also LOVED Bran's scene as the Master of Winterfell...that kid is an incredible actor!

Definitely going to watch the ep again, they're always better the 2nd time around!

Agree about Bran, he's fantastic.

I could do without the lady in red stuff. And am I the only one who thinks Stannis is a huge bore? I don't remember him being so boring in the books.
    intodeep wrote:
    I was surprised about the Tickler too! Particularly since there is a scene with him later in the books in Inn that was pretty important.

Yeah they've gotta keep that in there - so maybe they'll just do it without him, but there was something so poetic about about how they got the Tickler in that crappy Inn.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Enkidu wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Agree about Bran, he's fantastic.

I could do without the lady in red stuff. And am I the only one who thinks Stannis is a huge bore? I don't remember him being so boring in the books.

I do remember that Stannis would have been a shitty king. And I think he was pretty boring.

Arya rocks.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    vant0037 wrote:
    Not a fan of the direction of Maegary's character.

But I am enjoying the past few episodes far more, as I'm continually reminding myself that it would be impossible to follow the books to the letter, and that as long as the story generally follows the book-plot (which it does), I'll be happy.

Good episode. The Halfhand didn't look like I thought he would, but I liked the actor. Pyromancer Hallyne looked nothing like I thought he would; in the books, he's far more slimy sounding.

Can't wait for next week!

So I just finished watching the episode...

This pretty much sums up all my thoughts perfectly... originally was kind of pissed that they were deviating from the books so much, but they've done a good job adapting it to TV, and I'm enjoying it more and more each episode...

I definitely pictured the Halfhand to be much, much bigger... and not quite so scrawny looking... but the person playing the roll definitely still fits....

That scene with Lord Tywin asking Arya about Rob Stark was a great addition... enjoyed that moment thoroughly...

And now it's back to A dance with dragons... :corn:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Just watched the episode. Things are finally picking up quite nicely.
    My god do I love Daenerys.

Which character is the Halfhand? Its hard to understand what they are saying sometimes.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Halfhand would be the Ranger with whom Jon Snow joins in this episode.
    Halfhand would be the Ranger with whom Jon Snow joins in this episode.
    Ah yes, thank you.
    No problem. I usually have to read a handful of recaps on Mondays to ensure I've caught everything. This show takes a lot of work to follow.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Its hard to understand what they are saying sometimes.

Glad I'm not the only one :lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:

Seriously. Every time a new character is introduced they should still-frame the character for a couple seconds and have the characters name in big white letters underneath for all to soak in.
    Better Dan wrote:

Seriously. Every time a new character is introduced they should still-frame the character for a couple seconds and have the characters name in big white letters underneath for all to soak in.
    That would make things so much easier...
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    Better Dan wrote:

This is why I use CC for this show.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
    Out of curiosity those who have not read the book what are your thoughts on:
    Theon Greyjoy (do you know what his plan is?)
    Jamie Lannister
    Sansa Stark
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    I have not read the books and I have no idea what Theon Greyjoy's plan is. This last episode, when he got that little gleam in his eye when they were going out to meet the ship - I even said out loud "I don't get it! What's he planning on doing?"

As for Jamie Lannister and Sansa - again - no idea, but I also haven't really considered those characters as "having a plan" yet. Though Sansa at least seems to have the beginnings of something brewing. And we've barely seen Jamie this season anyway.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
    I have not read the books and I have no idea what Theon Greyjoy's plan is. This last episode, when he got that little gleam in his eye when they were going out to meet the ship - I even said out loud "I don't get it! What's he planning on doing?"

As for Jamie Lannister and Sansa - again - no idea, but I also haven't really considered those characters as "having a plan" yet. Though Sansa at least seems to have the beginnings of something brewing. And we've barely seen Jamie this season anyway.

So cool to hear the viewpoint of someone that hasn't read the books!
    [

:lol: I'm about 400 pages into the fifth book and they're STILL introducing new characters...this shit is not going to end. Thank goodness for the maps and the house addendum in the back otherwise I'd be lost! Love every minute of it though :D
    intodeep wrote:
    Out of curiosity those who have not read the book what are your thoughts on:
    Theon Greyjoy (do you know what his plan is?)
    Jamie Lannister
    Sansa Stark
    Theon - He wants to impress his dad, so he's breaking all prior alleigances, but he's not that bright, so I can't see him suceeding in the long run. He'll probably eventually fail, try to do the right thing before he dies (à la Boromir).
    Jamie (Jaime?) - Right now he's just a pawn in the Game of Thrones. He's a bargaining chip for the Starks at the moment. Either he dies, or he gets traded for a key player. Then he dies.
    Sansa - She's dug herself a pretty deep hole and is currently left to wallow in it. She'll seek redemption at some point, and somehow help out her brother, possibly by turning on Joffrey and aiding the clever Lannister, Tyrion.

Just my thoughts. I'll get to the books at some point.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Ok, I haven't read a recap and I tried not to have the tv too loud last night when I watched this episode because my son was asleep on my lap, but what were they saying during the nights watch segment. I seriously had a hard time making a lot of that out LOL...that was the only scene I had trouble making out.

What I got out of it was that some dude who used to be a ranger/nights watch soldier is now leading a bunch of wildlings and they are going to go south towards the wall? Is that in any way correct? :lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Thanks!
    It's interesting to hear your point of views for a couple reason. One is how well is the story being conveyed to folks who have not read the books and two my opinions of those three folks change over time as i read more of the story.

If Theon was on the Iron Throne he would def be banging painted whores all day long :fp:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22