A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• YardenYarden Posts: 820
    :) yeah, i guess that's why the characters are so interesting and well built, there are long chunks of just getting to know them..
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    intodeep wrote:
    As for Sansa you picked the moment i think she changes. Perhaps it is at the sept during the beheading tha the gears start turning, but Sansa has to grow up very quickly. She is alone in a very dangerous place and all she can do is smile on the outside while she dies on the inside. Her whole idea of her perfect life shatters before her. When she almost pushes joffrey is when i started to say hmmm maybe i can like her.

I think in book one i hated sansa. Book two i started to sympathize and moveing forward i started rooting for her.

I dont remember sansa very much from the books anymore, but from the show and what i do remember i really think sansa got what she deserved. if she had any honor or respect for those around her heresituation wouldnt be what it is. i feel bad for everyone else that had to pay a price cause of sansa but she deserved what she got. if she wasnt such a whiny little liar that cant get her head out of the clouds, most of what happened could have been avoided, but nope she wanted her little fairy tale in a real world, and did anything to keep that childish dream alive.
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    i thinks that is just Sansa's journey so far.. like Daenerys started out as timid and her brother's pawn but found her strength and her identity as the "real dragon", Sansa started out as this superficial girl who likes fairytales and prince charming. she trusted the queen but is now disillusioned by her and Joffrey and realizes her mistake.. at least that's how i see.. i kind of feel bad for her and hope she gets to redeem herself in the future..
    also.. is it just me or did she get really tall?
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    WOW!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Better Dan wrote:
    WOW!

Oh. Just watched it. Oh. That last image...
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    ready to watch it.. :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    Enkidu wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:
    WOW!

Oh. Just watched it. Oh. That last image...
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    mmm. Sansa started out all about the fairy tale now she is much smarter and knows what she has to do to survive and not be treated like a traitor (except by the prick Joffrey). I think they make that very clear.
    Again, this episode was all over the place. If I didn't read the books I would be so lost!

Looking forward to next week cause a lot of shit is going down!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    SHADOW BABY :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Yarden wrote:
    i is it just me or did she get really tall?
    Yeah she grew up a bit over the offseason.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    intodeep wrote:

:D Harrenhall looked good too. Enjoyed Arya's "prayers" at night.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    intodeep wrote:

:D Harrenhall looked good too. Enjoyed Arya's "prayers" at night.

So I finished the first audiobook over the weekend, and started listening to "A Clash of Kings" on my ride home from Portland, Maine yesterday evening in a lashing rainstorm. I was completely immersed in the book.

I had been at an agility tournament with the unlost dogs, and it was running late, so I ran them in the last class, jumped into the car, and drove home even before the scores were out. Had to be seated on the couch for GoT! :lol:

Not having read ahead of the TV show, that last scene was :shock: Major "WTF" moment.

And as I was showering this morning, I kept hearing "Joffrey. Cersei. Ilyn Paine. The Hound."

And I'm glad Daenerys is out of the desert. :lol:

I'm liking The Hound. He's kind to Sansa.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    intodeep wrote:

is this what is being referred to in the WOW comment previously?
    polaris_x wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

is this what is being referred to in the WOW comment previously?
    Yes. Pretty sure it is.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I'm really loving the opening sequence - I got all excited when they added Harrenhall this week. Arya's prayers were awesome, and it strayed from the book again, but I think it was all very well done.

My only question - why oh why do they keep skipping through the battle scenes??!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    mmm. Sansa started out all about the fairy tale now she is much smarter and knows what she has to do to survive and not be treated like a traitor (except by the prick Joffrey). I think they make that very clear.
    Again, this episode was all over the place. If I didn't read the books I would be so lost!

that makes me feel a bit better...I am ALWAYS lost!!! :lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    damn... I know I keep saying this every weekend, but I really need to sit down and catch up with the show... I haven't seen any of season 2 yet... between a dance with dragons and the hockey playoffs I've had no time...

hearing of Harrenhall and the shadow baby really makes me want to sit down and watch the new season though... maybe tonight I'll try and sneak in an episode...

On a side note - was anyone else as frustrated as i am with a dance with dragons and the timeline issues? I really don't like the fact that he essentially stepped back in time to re-tell the stories of those he left out of a clash with kings... knowing what's happened in other parts of the realm while following characters that are before that point in time... grr.... I really hope I'm in for a surprise with Davos is all I have to say!
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    Lizard wrote:
    Sprunkn7 wrote:

that makes me feel a bit better...I am ALWAYS lost!!! :lol:

I re-watched season 1 after reading the book, and everything was much, much easier to follow and made a lot more sense... I'd highly recommend it! ;)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I'm really loving the opening sequence - I got all excited when they added Harrenhall this week. Arya's prayers were awesome, and it strayed from the book again, but I think it was all very well done.

My only question - why oh why do they keep skipping through the battle scenes??!!!

Money- they don't have the budget to do them all- but I read they put a lot of the budget towards the Blackwater episode.. thankfully
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Money- they don't have the budget to do them all- but I read they put a lot of the budget towards the Blackwater episode.. thankfully

I was thinking the same thing _ they must be prohibitively expensive to try to do on a TV show budget.

I guess overall, I'd rather have them skip the battle scenes than try to do them cheaply and have it come off poorly executed. (No pun intended.)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing _ they must be prohibitively expensive to try to do on a TV show budget.

I guess overall, I'd rather have them skip the battle scenes than try to do them cheaply and have it come off poorly executed. (No pun intended.)

100% agree. I'd rather have them go light on the multiple "mini-battles" and go big for the big battle...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I think money is one of the issues, but I think it also has a lot to do with the characters too.

Of the characters GRRM uses to tell the story, most of them aren't usually involved in the big battles... For the most part, they are on the sides when the war is raging and we here about battles after, at the same time they do... at least through the first two books...

The battle of the blackwater is where that really starts to change though, as both Tyrion and Davos give first hand accounts of that battle... So I would anticipate a few big budget scenes when that heats up...

This changes a little bit after A clash of kings and as you get into a storm of swords... even more so in a feast for crows...
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Aww chit I hope so - that's going to be AMAZING!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    I watched the first 2 episodes of S02 back to back last night... hoping to get to episodes 3 and 4 tomorrow... unfortunately game 7's take priority...

not sure how I feel about a lot of the new characters... I pictured Stannis to be bigger, more imtimidating and balder... the red priestess to not be so attractive... Craster to be much more hideous...

I really like the casting of Davos and Sallador Saan... very nice editions...

Not too sure how I feel about the variations from the book either... but I guess it was enevitable.... I don't remember Stannis screwing the red priestess (I guess they're trying to better explain the shadow baby)... and I know Jon Snow seeing craster sacrifice a son to the white walkers didn't happen in the books... it was only ever implied...

That scene where they killed all Robert's bastards was intense.... and the direwolves look awesome...

I'm excited to see all the new characters they will have to roll out in the coming episodes with Catelyn going to see Renly... I don't know how I'm going to wait until the third season for them to bring out the Red Viper, and season 4 for the rest of the characters from Dorne....

anyway, hopefully I'll catch up to everyone else tomorrow night!
    They need a bad ass to play the Viper that is for sure.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    If they screw up the red viper in any way im giving up on the show at that point.
    I'd like to see a face-off between King Joffrey armed with his crossbow vs. Carl Grimes from "The Walking Dead" toting the handgun he stole from Daryl Dixon.

Those two annoying boys, in The Arena from "The Hunger Games."

Only one can come out alive.

:corn:
    If they screw up the red viper in any way im giving up on the show at that point.

I really like all the characters from Dorne that get introduced in the 4th book too... I hope they don't screw any of them up...

I also hope they do a good job casting Darkstar.... I know he's had such an insignificant role so far, but I think GRRM is going to do something big with him eventually... I mean with all the character build up, he seems so badass.... although maybe he'll re-appear in ADWD... hopefully! i've still got 600 pages left to go...
    I'd like to see a face-off between King Joffrey armed with his crossbow vs. Carl Grimes from "The Walking Dead" toting the handgun he stole from Daryl Dixon.

Oh you just went full nerd there.
    and I love it :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:

Oh you just went full nerd there.
    and I love it :D

dome.jpg