Options

A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    MayDay10 said:

to me, the Night King/WW story was not ended in a fulfilling way.

It was kind of "easy" and quick.  This was the main threat throughout the books and series.  I have a hard time imagining that the war with the Others is going to not be the ending of the books (with a bit of tying loose ends after).  There is a whole theme of "Your Marching the Wrong Way" when Robb marches South.  Even in the show, for those who are 'woke', there is a whole theme that all the thrones, titles, and lords do not matter.  These White Walkers and night king battled a hardy and all-wise race of Children of the Forest for thousands of years to no conclusion.  Man had to build a 700-foot wall at some point to mitigate the threat.  

Having Arya just "sneak up" on the Night King and stab him, killing all the WW just feels like a convenient way out.  The whole theme is "this is way bigger than titles, and man forgot"... but it changed to "well, I guess this girl took care of that, I guess titles were the bigger deal after all".  They didn't develop this over several 1,000s of pages and 7+ seasons so the Night King slips on a banana peel and ends the threat at the first sign of resistance before getting halfway out of the North.

Now the last half of the last season, we have the big "culmination" of the series with the antagonists being Cersei, a non-developed-just introduced Golden Company, and a little developed Euron.  I don't think that is all that intriguing of a thread... not nearly as much as an existential threat to everything alive.

Just going back to this post since I am finally caught up on episodes and trying to read some of the previous comments. I think the point you make is right on. The Night King should have won at Winterfell (based on battle strategy alone) and destroyed everyone leaving only a few to survive that could escape; however, as that battle played out I was wondering how anyone would have been able to retreat anywhere. Then the army of the dead could have marched on the arrogant Cersei and some real justice could have been served when the ice dragon melted (wait, shouldn't an ice dragon have ice "fire" that freezes everything, not melt it?) the Red Keep. They could have done so many things with this, but seem to have taken a lazy approach. The fact that I checked the time bar on the episode halfway through to figure how much longer they were magically going to hold off the dead, shows that it was completely batshit crazy that any of them lived.

With that said, Lyanna Mormount was the best character to die this episode and Arya's version of escaping a library in Resident Evil style fashion was great. She is by far my favorite character.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I thought Tyrion was going to get plugged with arrows by Cersei...  as far as Missandre getting the ax, that registered about a 1/10 on the shock scale.  They should have dubbed in a Southpark fart in the final audio mix when her body hit the ground. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I will say the dragon getting shredded was around 10/10 on the unexpected scale.  First I was expecting for it to become Jon’s dragon and second because it happened so fast.  

Dany made are a huge mistake not taking Cersei out when her army was at the gates before the meeting in the dragon pit last season. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    Jason P said:
    I thought Tyrion was going to get plugged with arrows by Cersei...  as far as Missandre getting the ax, that registered about a 1/10 on the shock scale.  They should have dubbed in a Southpark fart in the final audio mix when her body hit the ground. 
    WTF didn’t Cersei unleash all the arrows & end it right then & there?

It’s gotten ridiculous at this point. 
  • Options
    While on the subject of piss beer, who would have guessed that after 4 episodes the most shocking death so far is the Bud Light Knight getting  his can crushed by Zombie Mountain?   

Inconceivable!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    I didn't understand why Dany didn't flank Euron, come behind the fleet and wipe them all out.  That direct approach was stupid but all she had to do was an easy fly around, come from behind, say "Drakaris" and fry them
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I really hope Sansa doesn't end up as the "last man standing" and hold all the power at the end.  She is probably my least favorite "main" character throughout the books and the show.  Her whole transition from "I like songs" to some sort of ruler was hastily done, was forced and doesnt make a lot of sense.  When Arya says that Sansa is the smartest person she knows or something, I was like "wut?".  Like what smart thing has she done or concocted in the entire series?  She is crafted as one of the "dumbest" characters who has trained only to be a "Lady" as intently as Arya has trained to fight/kill.  
    I know she has 'been through a lot", and got a few lessons on being a sneak from Littlefinger, but I think its lazy to suggest she is suddenly a stone-cold ruler at this point.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I really hope Sansa doesn't end up as the "last man standing" and hold all the power at the end.  She is probably my least favorite "main" character throughout the books and the show.  Her whole transition from "I like songs" to some sort of ruler was hastily done, was forced and doesnt make a lot of sense.  When Arya says that Sansa is the smartest person she knows or something, I was like "wut?".  Like what smart thing has she done or concocted in the entire series?  She is crafted as one of the "dumbest" characters who has trained only to be a "Lady" as intently as Arya has trained to fight/kill.  
    I know she has 'been through a lot", and got a few lessons on being a sneak from Littlefinger, but I think its lazy to suggest she is suddenly a stone-cold ruler at this point.

Agreed on all points.
  • Options
    I didn't understand why Dany didn't flank Euron, come behind the fleet and wipe them all out.  That direct approach was stupid but all she had to do was an easy fly around, come from behind, say "Drakaris" and fry them
    Yeah, I wondered that as well, but then again from how Euron can navigate to places in warp speed, he probably would have already turned around.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Jason P said:
    :rofl:     
    That would have been great.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    WTF didn’t Cersei unleash all the arrows & end it right then & there?

It’s gotten ridiculous at this point. 
    She has never played by the rules and this was another dumb move which should have resulted in Dany's slaughter. Even her last dragon was right there within range of those massive bolt guns. I was waiting for them to plug the dragon, hail arrows on those idiots on the ground and then bring Tyrion back to torture him for years on end. How much more evil could they have assembled (Cersei, The Mountain, Qyburn and Euron) and all of them decided they needed to be honorable only so they can all go to war? The only reason I could see her sparing them at this point is so that she can later use it to her advantage because she saved the people of King's Landing by defeating the foreign Dragon Queen who tried to burn the city and kill them all. 
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Agreed on all points.
    I don't like the Sansa story line and haven't for years, but I also feel like they have been building an arc more likely to result in her ruling than not. She's probably the smartest Stark. Arya is smart, but in an assassin way. She couldn't ever lead an army or people in to battle, but you'd want her on your side as a hired gun so to speak. Jon (not really a Stark, but honorary still) is great at leading people in to battle as long as he doesn't make the battle plans. Bran, hmmm, best portrayal of a Stark in a wheelchair? Yeah, he's pretty worthless. His whole arc was a waste and makes no sense at this point.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Again, another area that they have failed at portraying well lately is the importance of some the deaths among Dany's inner circle of advisers. Did I really care about her dying off on the show? No, she hasn't had much of a purpose even when she was supposed to be advising, but I think the bigger point being made is that Dany has now lost the 2 most important people, to her anyway, that were there from her beginning days to ascent as Queen of ninety titles. Her descent in to mad Targaeryn ruler seems inevitable at this point. Varys knows what the reality is and Tyrion doesn't want to believe it. Maybe it's Arya who will take down the mad "queen".
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    tbergs said:
    Jason P said:
    Again, another area that they have failed at portraying well lately is the importance of some the deaths among Dany's inner circle of advisers. Did I really care about her dying off on the show? No, she hasn't had much of a purpose even when she was supposed to be advising, but I think the bigger point being made is that Dany has now lost the 2 most important people, to her anyway, that were there from her beginning days to ascent as Queen of ninety titles. Her descent in to mad Targaeryn ruler seems inevitable at this point. Varys knows what the reality is and Tyrion doesn't want to believe it. Maybe it's Arya who will take down the mad "queen".
    Don't count out the Eunich.  He may be doing something about Danaerys.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    tbergs said:
    Jason P said:
    Had not occurred to me, but I like that theory.

Want some more Hound & Arya fighting scenes 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Jason P said:
    Had not occurred to me, but I like that theory.

Want some more Hound & Arya fighting scenes 
    I would definitely be all in for a H&A spin-off, or even more probable just Arya, as the faceless assassin of the realm. I think with some better writing, they could pull off a pretty good show of Arya the assassin and then we could get occasional guest appearances by whoever is left alive.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

With all the spears they launched in different directions it’s likely they were at least somewhat prepared for that. 

I think Dany was assuming the fleet would be in King’s Landing and it was more concealed than they could show.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    tbergs said:
    Jason P said:
    Don't count out the Eunich.  He may be doing something about Danaerys.
    He lacks his spiders, but seems to be doing fine otherwise. I also forgot how Dany referenced her dragon being killed as the equivalent of "one of my children". That stood out to me as well. That coupled with those other 2 deaths and she is in full downward spiral mode.
  • Options
    In regards to spinoffs, George RR Matin’s Fire and Blood is providing a mega wealth of storyline for the 300 years prior to the current events.  The outline is right there ready to be expanded on. 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Man do people get mad on the internet about this show.  Everywhere you look it's just a huge flood of negativity acting like this show is the worst thing to ever be on TV.  Obviously it's not perfect but at the end of the day it's just a fantasy show that features fire-breathing dragons....crazy.
  • Options
    Man do people get mad on the internet about this show.  Everywhere you look it's just a huge flood of negativity acting like this show is the worst thing to ever be on TV.  Obviously it's not perfect but at the end of the day it's just a fantasy show that features fire-breathing dragons....crazy.

If you think this is bad, just wait until the new Tool album comes out after a 13 year wait.

• Options
    Human nature to build up the underdog and then tear it down without mercy.  

I tihink all the episodes this season have been fantastic.  Yes I have my quibbles here and there but I’m not one of the writers, just a mere consumer. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Right!?! To me, this show has been dumb from season 1. And then it got beyond dumb from season 5 on. I've never been invested in a single character, except maybe for some of the naked nameless whores.

I love them whores.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967

If you think this is bad, just wait until the new Tool album comes out after a 13 year wait.

I'm seeing Tool in Louisville on Wednesday.  Can't wait.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

I'm seeing Tool in Louisville on Wednesday.  Can't wait.

Jealous... Enjoy.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I'm just here for the coffee. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    If it's gonna be that kinda of party I'm a stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    If it's gonna be that kinda of party I'm a stick my dick in the mashed potatoes.
    Dolemite!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    Where did Qyburn go? Tyrion walked past him to confront Cersei and he just disappeared. I would have loved for him to be taken out, preferably by Tyrion on his way back.

Whenever there is too much unnecessary smiling you know something bad is on the way.
    Daenerys smiling as she looked at Rhaegal - bang, dragon down!
    Grey Worm and Missandei holding hands on the boat - catch the head, Tyrion!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)