Options

A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    I can't be alone in being frustrated as fuck at three quarters of that episode being so damn dark that I had a tough time telling what in the hell was going on.
    It was frustrating but I thought they were just trying to underscore confusing it was to be the characters in that moment. Next week when it's light out we'll account for the survivors
    I am still on E1 S1, lol, but my filmmaker friend, who is also a big GoT fan, said this when I asked if it was true that the episode was too dark to see:

"yes but i would say to the desired effect. a large part of the horror and tension of the episode was that they were fighting in conditions that made it impossible to distinguish friend from foe which made it all the more chaotic and exciting. Its an episode not like any other and should be listened to as intensely as it should be watched. the sound design and the score carry the action and the performances in this episode unlike any other where its usually the writing and acting that is doing the heavy lifting."

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,024
    PJ_Soul said:
    I can't be alone in being frustrated as fuck at three quarters of that episode being so damn dark that I had a tough time telling what in the hell was going on.
    It was frustrating but I thought they were just trying to underscore confusing it was to be the characters in that moment. Next week when it's light out we'll account for the survivors
    I am still on E1 S1, lol, but my filmmaker friend, who is also a big GoT fan, said this when I asked if it was true that the episode was too dark to see:

"yes but i would say to the desired effect. a large part of the horror and tension of the episode was that they were fighting in conditions that made it impossible to distinguish friend from foe which made it all the more chaotic and exciting. Its an episode not like any other and should be listened to as intensely as it should be watched. the sound design and the score carry the action and the performances in this episode unlike any other where its usually the writing and acting that is doing the heavy lifting."

You want art?  Do a painting.

We want visuals when we are watching dragons man...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Agree 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    PJ_Soul said:

I envy you....the best way to watch GOT is to binge watch it several episodes at a time and overlap seasons in a day vs a year.  When I went back and watched from the beginning it made much more sense.  I wish I would have waited to watch the last few seasons back to back and then watch the new season in real time.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I envy you....the best way to watch GOT is to binge watch it several episodes at a time and overlap seasons in a day vs a year.  When I went back and watched from the beginning it made much more sense.  I wish I would have waited to watch the last few seasons back to back and then watch the new season in real time.
    Yes, you pick up so much stuff hen doing that.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited April 2019
    The funny thing about human nature opinion on an epic show like this is that all the complaints about the first two episodes is that they were setup episodes with no action and then most complaints on the last episode is that there was too much action.   Personally, I thought the first two weeks were among the best of the series.  I don’t mind the darkness of the last show but I did mind the pixilated video quality and compression.  I’m sure what the post editors watched versus what we saw was quite different. 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Jason P said:
    The funny thing about human nature opinion on an epic show like this is that all the complaints about the first two episodes is that they were setup episodes with no action and then most complaints on the last episode is that there was too much action.   Personally, I thought the first two weeks were among the best of the series.  I don’t mind the darkness of the last show but I did mind the pixilated video quality and compression.  I’m sure what the post editors watched versus what we saw was quite different. 
    It's not that there was too much action.  I just wanted to see the action!!!  The pixilated video stuff was crazy....seriously thought there was something wrong with my TV.  I've been seeing that it looks better when you stream it on HBO Go/HBO Now apps.  I may have to try that.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited April 2019
    It was an army that attacks only at night and brings blizzard conditions, against a foe, who's primary defense is a massive amount of fire.  It will be tough to see.

I watched some of it a second time.... and not being all strung out, worried about characters dying, trying to make out faces, which dragon was which, etc... it was a lot easier to view.  I think a lot of the difficulty viewing was to 'simulate' the hectic nature of the battle.  It wasn't knights squaring off in a series of fights... this was an endless wave of wights hectically lunging at the living. 

It was an impossible thing to pull off.  Battle of the Blackwater set the standard.  Hardhome upped the ante and was an unexpected punch in the gut.  Battle of the Bastards was perfection, and probably cannot be topped.  I thought they did a really good job looking at all the challenges involved.  
    I think if the Night King raises the dead that time, and it becomes a rout, kills or takes Bran, and a few characters narrowly escape and need to regroup in the iron islands...  the positive buzz on this and anticipation would be a fever pitch.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Jason P said:
    It's not that there was too much action.  I just wanted to see the action!!!  The pixilated video stuff was crazy....seriously thought there was something wrong with my TV.  I've been seeing that it looks better when you stream it on HBO Go/HBO Now apps.  I may have to try that.
    Yeah, I loved the action it was just the tough time seeing
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The Lord if Light didn’t keep reviving Beric so that he could save Arya. He did it so Beric could use his flaming sword so we could see what was going on. 
  • Options
    I also wonder if that is it for the white walkers and any discussion on the history.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    I didn't mind the dark battle scenes as much. I watched on HBO Go and a smaller TV, so don't know if that made any difference. I actually like dhow at times you couldn't tell the dead from the living.
    I think my favorite scene was when the lights from the Dorthraki slowly went out (although the fact that they charged made zero sense, did they think they'd charge right through the dead and the war would be over?).

But, it did get old after a while. You figure most war movies are about 2 hours long with maybe 20 minutes of fighting. That was an hour and half movie with an hour and half fight scene.  Could have maybe shortened it a little and showed the aftermath. Or maybe start the battle late enough so the sun rose before it ended to give a change of scene. And they can fight in the day, they have before. I think the night fight was just when they arrived at Winterfell, had nothing to do with them being dead.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I didn't mind the dark battle scenes as much. I watched on HBO Go and a smaller TV, so don't know if that made any difference. I actually like dhow at times you couldn't tell the dead from the living.
    I think my favorite scene was when the lights from the Dorthraki slowly went out (although the fact that they charged made zero sense, did they think they'd charge right through the dead and the war would be over?).

That is 100% how the Dothraki fight though.  They do not really know a defensive battle plan.  I also read that the producers said the excitement of the flaming swords led to the Dothraki taking off into an undisciplined charge.

If it were me though, I would have them on the flank, with Unsullied in the front.  When battle is engaged, Dothraki charge in from the sides.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    mace1229 said:

That is 100% how the Dothraki fight though.  They do not really know a defensive battle plan.  I also read that the producers said the excitement of the flaming swords led to the Dothraki taking off into an undisciplined charge.

If it were me though, I would have them on the flank, with Unsullied in the front.  When battle is engaged, Dothraki charge in from the sides.
    Make use of archers and catapults first.  No need to send people off to their deaths...
  • Options
    I wonder why the night king didn't just do that dead raising thing every 90 seconds or so.  Bad strategy

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    mace1229 said:

They may not know a defensive strategy, but there were 5 other armies there to help plan. They were in the front, ready to charge. If they took off early it was maybe by a few seconds. Should have lit the fire moat and shot arrows and fireballs until they broke through, then have the Dorthraki charge the ones breaking through. It was just a needless death, and when they have another large battle coming up. Also, they essentially just gave the Night King a Dothraki army to fight with.
  • Options

to me, the Night King/WW story was not ended in a fulfilling way.

It was kind of "easy" and quick.  This was the main threat throughout the books and series.  I have a hard time imagining that the war with the Others is going to not be the ending of the books (with a bit of tying loose ends after).  There is a whole theme of "Your Marching the Wrong Way" when Robb marches South.  Even in the show, for those who are 'woke', there is a whole theme that all the thrones, titles, and lords do not matter.  These White Walkers and night king battled a hardy and all-wise race of Children of the Forest for thousands of years to no conclusion.  Man had to build a 700-foot wall at some point to mitigate the threat.  

Having Arya just "sneak up" on the Night King and stab him, killing all the WW just feels like a convenient way out.  The whole theme is "this is way bigger than titles, and man forgot"... but it changed to "well, I guess this girl took care of that, I guess titles were the bigger deal after all".  They didn't develop this over several 1,000s of pages and 7+ seasons so the Night King slips on a banana peel and ends the threat at the first sign of resistance before getting halfway out of the North.

Now the last half of the last season, we have the big "culmination" of the series with the antagonists being Cersei, a non-developed-just introduced Golden Company, and a little developed Euron.  I don't think that is all that intriguing of a thread... not nearly as much as an existential threat to everything alive.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh wow, haha. I really do think of film and TV as art (because it is), so yeah, I want art on the screen!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, I'm glad for this... My regret is that I'll be so outdated, lol. No timely memes and unending GoT news stories for me! Now excitement and theories to share online the day after each episode.... But I will say that the main reason I'm getting ready to start watching the series is because I've become so annoyed by the endless GoT shit online that I don't understand. :lol: I'm so out of the loop! But then this makes no sense anyhow, since I'll be too late for it all in any case. I will still be out of the loop in any meaningful way, lol. :tongue:
  • Options
    I started watching GOT right after season 4 aired. It was nice to get through the first 4 seasons in a month, but then a pain wait a year+ after that.
    The best part was I forget so much, I've had to rewatch the entire series with almost every new season. There's so many minor characters that pop up once, then are a main focus point 3 seasons later. So watching it through all at once will probably help it make much more sense too.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh wow, haha. I really do think of film and TV as art (because it is), so yeah, I want art on the screen!
    I get what you are saying but the sound of the dragon is not the star of the show the actual sight of the dragon is.

So the all black sequence was really hard to see on the screen.  Not very artsy...
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I get what you are saying but the sound of the dragon is not the star of the show the actual sight of the dragon is.

So the all black sequence was really hard to see on the screen.  Not very artsy...
    Well, I was just posting that to try and make you fans feel a little bit better about not being able to see shit. :lol:;)
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited May 2019
    Jason P said:
    I also wonder if that is it for the white walkers and any discussion on the history.  
    For some reason I don't think it's over. 

When the Night King didn't die from the dragon fire, I kind of inferred he was a Targarean (sp?). I wonder if Bran knows more from his mysterious bird visit in the middle of the battle. There has to be more of a reason for the Night King to specifically go after Bran other than that he touched him in one of his visions. . . . Just a thought 

Arya is the new Kingslayer
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I took the Brans crow release before the battle as him just scouting what the impending attack consisted of.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    I took the Brans crow release before the battle as him just scouting what the impending attack consisted of.
    He sent the crows to go poop on the night kings’s car which was double parked in a handicap zone just beyond the battle lines. 
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Jason P said:
    For some reason I don't think it's over. 

When the Night King didn't die from the dragon fire, I kind of inferred he was a Targarean (sp?). I wonder if Bran knows more from his mysterious bird visit in the middle of the battle. There has to be more of a reason for the Night King to specifically go after Bran other than that he touched him in one of his visions. . . . Just a thought 

Arya is the new Kingslayer
    I'm almost certain it's not over.
    If it is over and done with, so is Bran's story, and there is more there.
    Read an article from a guy who thinks Bran is trying/wanting to become the new Night King and because he was getting more and more powerful, the Night King wanted to kill him to assure that didn't happen.  
    Something is going to happen with Bran and I don't think it's going to be for the good of Westeros.  
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, I'm glad for this... My regret is that I'll be so outdated, lol. No timely memes and unending GoT news stories for me! Now excitement and theories to share online the day after each episode.... But I will say that the main reason I'm getting ready to start watching the series is because I've become so annoyed by the endless GoT shit online that I don't understand. :lol: I'm so out of the loop! But then this makes no sense anyhow, since I'll be too late for it all in any case. I will still be out of the loop in any meaningful way, lol. :tongue:
    I started watching the each of the first 4 seasons after the last episode of each season finished. So I binge watch each season and then wait for the next season to come out. After season 4, I missed season 5 at the time of release, due to work and inability to watch. Then never got around to watching it, so left  the next 2 seasons as well. I finally got around to watching season's 5-7 about 2 months ago and smashed them over about 3 weeks, which rolled into the start of this season.
    My wife has now decided that she should watch the whole show, as she never saw anything after S1 E1, thinking she wouldn't enjoy it.  So whilst watching the new episodes, I'm re-watching the start of the show with her, and she is now just finished S2. It's refreshed so much in my mind and also helped clarify and few family relations/positions that had been forgotten from the early seasons
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I started watching GOT right after season 4 aired. It was nice to get through the first 4 seasons in a month, but then a pain wait a year+ after that.
    The best part was I forget so much, I've had to rewatch the entire series with almost every new season. There's so many minor characters that pop up once, then are a main focus point 3 seasons later. So watching it through all at once will probably help it make much more sense too.
    exactly....way too much shit going on