Options

A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    i saw that there is a theory that the three eyed raven is the actually biggest villain in the series. bran died in the cave and the three eyed raven took over his body. i did not notice that the face on the tree in the godswood looks just like the three eyed raven.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Oh it's on!
    Jaime on his way to kill his sister.
    So many questions and only 2 episodes left!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Many ducks were sent in motion ...many ducks indeed ...
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    Oh it's on!
    My initial thought too...but would he do it with her still preggers with his baby? 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Indeed.  Full circle, for him.  King/Queenslayer.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,492
    Oh it's on!
    My initial thought too...but would he do it with her still preggers with his baby? 

I don't think she is pregnant with his baby, she either miscarried or was never pregnant to begin with. I was wondering how they were working around the obvious plot hole that she announced being pregnant in episode 5 of last season, and still isn't showing after all this time and read a couple of theories about it. She was drinking after sleeping w/ Euron, and she wouldn't drink when speaking w/ Tyrion last season - maybe she stopped caring about the baby, or maybe there was no baby (if there ever was one) by the time she slept with Euron, who knows?

With all that being said, Jaime is still under the impression she is pregnant with his baby, so your question still stands.

Last night's episode was entertaining, as are most others, but it's gotten so far away from what made it great in the early seasons. I'm looking forward to the next two episodes, and seeing how they wrap it up, but it's just another TV show at this point, and has been for at least the last two seasons.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2019
    I got the sense that Jamie was riding to King's Landing to rescue Cersei.

Ser Brienne of Tarth turning into a blubbering mess during that scene was dumb.

Oh, and what was the deal with the Hound and Sansa? My wife couldn't even answer that one for me. Or maybe she was just sick of my questions by then.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Oh it's on!

I don't think she is pregnant with his baby, she either miscarried or was never pregnant to begin with. I was wondering how they were working around the obvious plot hole that she announced being pregnant in episode 5 of last season, and still isn't showing after all this time and read a couple of theories about it. She was drinking after sleeping w/ Euron, and she wouldn't drink when speaking w/ Tyrion last season - maybe she stopped caring about the baby, or maybe there was no baby (if there ever was one) by the time she slept with Euron, who knows?

With all that being said, Jaime is still under the impression she is pregnant with his baby, so your question still stands.

Last night's episode was entertaining, as are most others, but it's gotten so far away from what made it great in the early seasons. I'm looking forward to the next two episodes, and seeing how they wrap it up, but it's just another TV show at this point, and has been for at least the last two seasons.

Also, they never showed him or his reaction, I speculate this was intentional, but Euron was standing right next Cersei when Tyrion was talking to her. As of that point, he (Euron) only just learned about her being pregnant with his baby. Euron would have to be wondering how the hell Tyrion would know she is pregnant. 

As she originally said she'd sleep with him after the war, she quickly changed her mind and let him "put a baby inside her". My belief is she is still pregnant with Jamie's baby and she is making Euron think it is his baby just to ensure he does not double cross her. Then. She will double cross him after the war (or at least plan to). He will figure this out from Tyrion discussing her being pregnant and double cross her and that will be the turning point in the war.

Just my completely uninformed speculation without much thought going into it.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    dankind said:
    Oh, and what was the deal with the Hound and Sansa? My wife couldn't even answer that one for me. Or maybe she was just sick of my questions by then.
    They had kind of an odd relationship when Sansa was "captive" by Joffrey and Cersei.  He kind of protected her (saved her life one time) and kind of had a thing for her it seemed.  At first she was horrified by him, then was able to empathize with him.  When he bailed during the Battle of the Blackwater, he offered to take her with him and she declined.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    dankind said:
    I got the sense that Jamie was riding to King's Landing to rescue Cersei.

Ser Brienne of Tarth turning into a blubbering mess during that scene was dumb.

When The Hound was Joffrey’s bodyguard he was always looking for Sansa. He stopped her from pushing Joffrey off the tower bridge when he made her look at Ned’s head on a spike. He also saved her from an angry mob in King's Landing. 
    And when he left King’s Landing after the Battle of the Blackwater he tried to get her to leave with him, but she turned him down.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    I think what we are seeing is a Lost type last season. Too many plot holes or characters doing things that are just dumb. I think Cersei is going to obliterate Dany's army much like the vile Bolton army destroyed Stannis. While Jon (Aegon) may be one of the worst war time decision makers ever, Dany is even worse. How many times does she have to make a stupid decision when battling Cersei? It's going to come down to Arya, Jaime and The Hound to stop Cersei. And when it's all said and done, Sansa will be ruling. She has great battle instincts, knows how to make a deal and knows when it's time to cut ties. Jon is too naive to keep the throne and Dany is too "must bend the knee" to gain support that matters.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    The Cersei pregnant thing has been bugging me and seems like a huge continuity error in the show (and right when she first said it, I knew it would be with all the "fast travel" going on).  

She knew she was pregnant, told Jaime, the team travelled all the way from Dragonstone to Eastwatch, performed their mission beyond the wall, travelled back to King's Landing for their showing of the Wight, then travelled back to Winterfell to prepare for, then fight the army of the dead, clean up, then travel all the way back down to dragonstone/Kings Landing.  By now she should have a few toddlers running around the battlements while they chopped Missandei's head off
  • Options
    Oh it's on!

Also, they never showed him or his reaction, I speculate this was intentional, but Euron was standing right next Cersei when Tyrion was talking to her. As of that point, he (Euron) only just learned about her being pregnant with his baby. Euron would have to be wondering how the hell Tyrion would know she is pregnant. 

As she originally said she'd sleep with him after the war, she quickly changed her mind and let him "put a baby inside her". My belief is she is still pregnant with Jamie's baby and she is making Euron think it is his baby just to ensure he does not double cross her. Then. She will double cross him after the war (or at least plan to). He will figure this out from Tyrion discussing her being pregnant and double cross her and that will be the turning point in the war.

I considered that scenario and you may be right, however a few things support the miscarriage theory (or the theory that she was never pregnant to begin with):

1. Cersei’s drinking. If she was pregnant, and disciplined enough to not drink when talking to Tyrion last season, it doesn’t make sense that she would be drinking after sleeping with Euron if still pregnant with Jaime's baby.

2. The time elapsed since she got pregnant. So many things have happened since she told Jaime she was pregnant – the crew going north of the wall to kidnap the wight, they traveled south to King’s landing for the summit and then back again to Winterfell, Jaime traveled by horse to Winterfell, and now Khaleesi is back at the gates of Kings Landing. I know they’ve been dismissing the travel times between locations for the last few seasons, but this is a bit of a stretch – she should be pretty f’n prego by this point if she was still carrying Jaime’s baby.  

3. Cersei’s willingness to sleep with Euron. If she did indeed lose Jaime’s baby and he doesn’t know it, getting pregnant again would give her back the leverage she would have lost over him with the death of the baby. (although as you mentioned – this could have been a move to get leverage over Euron too, so that could go either way)

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Oh it's on!

I think maybe we're the ones that are supposed to be forgetting history at this point. It's definitely enjoyable to watch, but once you start diving in to things deeper, it becomes obvious they have rushed through some of these things in the name of entertainment and shock n' awe effects. 
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options
    there was not a pregnancy warning on casks of Dornish Wine.  
  • Options
    Oh it's on!

Yep, I agree with you on the last part. Ever since the whole Stark against Stark and find a wight to bring to Cersei storylines, this show gave up on being smart and chose entertainment only.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The Lost callout is a good one, I feel.
    My wife was sharing this morning that she felt the season was bullshit so far and that she felt like she was going to really dislike the ending.
    I asked her to name the most popular/best shows over the past 20 years....or at least the 3 ones with the biggest followings & questions.

We came up with, in no particular order:
    Sopranos
    Lost
    Breaking Bad

Then I asked her what the endings to those shows all had in common.

No matter how they wrap this up, people are going to be largely dissatisfied.  Just the way it goes.

I also agree that it was so much better when they had GRRM's source material to work from -- how that allowed for adaptation for TV vs. the actual creation of plot.

Eagerly look forward to the last 2.

• Dany dies after destroying Kings Landing
    • Jaime kills his sister (chokes her) as the city burns
    • Sandor dies while killing Gregor
    • Arya?  Mmmm.  I think she plays a role but am not sure what it is.
    • John dies, doing something stupid that none of us could foresee, after the battle is over...but that fits his heroic/idiotic character
    • Tyrion sits the throne.  Undecided if he gets back together w/Sansa, or if they just leave it at them being buds.
    • Bronn gets Highgarden.
    • Creepy Bran?  The most anticlimactic character ever, remains so.  He does not become the new Night King.  He does not do anything of any interest.  He does not pass Go, nor does he collect $200.
    EDIT:
    Actually, Bran The Boring can play one final role -- share with everyone what he told Tyrion before The Long Night....which is that Tyrion is also a Targ...and ends up being the last Dragon, the one to sit on the throne.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,007
    In case you missed the real star of the show last night... The Starbucks cup!!!

• Options
    :lol:    
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Oh it's on!

Yep, I agree with you on the last part. Ever since the whole Stark against Stark and find a wight to bring to Cersei storylines, this show gave up on being smart and chose entertainment only.
    Its understandable.  The source material of the books is great and creates a color-by-numbers producing, writing, and directing.

You could tell that it lost a lot of its focus when it surpassed the books.  Some characters just kind of petered out (like Bran).  Characters started acting outside of their "lanes", the biggest violation was the middle episodes of season 7.  These seasons crammed into 6 or 7 episodes don't help.  

While I still find the show entertaining and captivating, I do not like a lot of the directions some things are going and how rushed many elements are. 

It does make me happy though, as (if) GRRM finishes the books, we should get much more in-depth and satisfying resolutions to many characters (this challenge is why it has taken so long)  
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,743
    My biggest problem from last night is Jon didn't even give Ghost a pet before he left!!!  Go give that wolf a hug!!  What an asshole.
  • Options

The last great moment this show had was Hodor's death.

It's been all downhill since.

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    The Lost callout is a good one, I feel.
    My wife was sharing this morning that she felt the season was bullshit so far and that she felt like she was going to really dislike the ending.
    I asked her to name the most popular/best shows over the past 20 years....or at least the 3 ones with the biggest followings & questions.

We came up with, in no particular order:
    Sopranos
    Lost
    Breaking Bad

Then I asked her what the endings to those shows all had in common.

No matter how they wrap this up, people are going to be largely dissatisfied.  Just the way it goes.

I also agree that it was so much better when they had GRRM's source material to work from -- how that allowed for adaptation for TV vs. the actual creation of plot.

Eagerly look forward to the last 2.

• Dany dies after destroying Kings Landing
    • Jaime kills his sister (chokes her) as the city burns
    • Sandor dies while killing Gregor
    • Arya?  Mmmm.  I think she plays a role but am not sure what it is.
    • John dies, doing something stupid that none of us could foresee, after the battle is over...but that fits his heroic/idiotic character
    • Tyrion sits the throne.  Undecided if he gets back together w/Sansa, or if they just leave it at them being buds.
    • Bronn gets Highgarden.
    • Creepy Bran?  The most anticlimactic character ever, remains so.  He does not become the new Night King.  He does not do anything of any interest.  He does not pass Go, nor does he collect $200.
    EDIT:
    Actually, Bran The Boring can play one final role -- share with everyone what he told Tyrion before The Long Night....which is that Tyrion is also a Targ...and ends up being the last Dragon, the one to sit on the throne.

If Tyrion is a Targ it ruins the whole character.

Breaking Bad ending was perfect.

I think D&D have done a pretty decent job of condensing some pretty unimportant and boring story lines from the books. The Dorne and Euron plots in the books aren’t very entertaining for the most part. 
  • Options
    My biggest problem from last night is Jon didn't even give Ghost a pet before he left!!!  Go give that wolf a hug!!  What an asshole.
    Definitely a complete dick move. I can't leave the house for any length of time without petting my puppy. They have been showing Ghost a lot this season and apparently for zero reason.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    You know what just popped into my head, has anyone ever really enjoyed having sex with a Greyjoy on this show? It seemed Yara had a chance with Ellaria, but then another Greyjoy ruined it. Speaking of which, when are they going to conveniently find a way for her to enact some sort of vengeance before she dies?

EDIT: I know, Ellaria can help Yara take down Euron while the Red Keep is burning so they can then live happily ever after.
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options
    Definitely a complete dick move. I can't leave the house for any length of time without petting my puppy. They have been showing Ghost a lot this season and apparently for zero reason.
    Another pointless plot point. The damn dog lost half an ear making the dumbest battle charge in the history of battle charges and now is doomed to be Tormund's riding mate after he was thrown aside by Brienne.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Another pointless plot point. The damn dog lost half an ear making the dumbest battle charge in the history of battle charges and now is doomed to be Tormund's riding mate after he was thrown aside by Brienne.
    Tormund is pretty cool.  As far as "fun to hang out with" I think he skulls Jon/Aegon all over the yard. 
    I think Ghost will do well, up north.  He would've headed there after Jon dies anyway.  ;)

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105

• Options

Made me lol 
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

The Bud Light Knight must have been working off a hangover and left it there accidentally ...

Hopefully the good people of King’s Landing have a chance to sample some Doritos before being incinerated by dragon fire.  ‘‘Tis a rough life growing up in fleabottom