The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    People with homebrewing experience... I have considered doing it long enough and am going to try my hand at it in hopes of gaining a new hobby. A local supply store here called The Beer Nut sells a basic starter kit which includes the following. Can anyone here with experience vouch that this is a good starter? :geek:

The Basic Home Brewing System

The basic system contains the following items:

* A 6.5 gallon Fermenter with lid.
    * A 5 gallon Priming/Bottling bucket with bottling spigot.
    * An Airlock.
    * A Syphon & Bottling setup.
    * A Hydrometer and Tube.
    * A Bottle Brush.
    * A Twin Lever Bottle Capper.
    * A Strip Thermometer.
    * An 8 oz. Package of Sanitizer.
    * Curved Racking Tube
    * A Home Brewing Handbook.
    * A Home Brewing Instructional DVD

Buy this item, get a a copy of "Complete Joy of Homebrewing", Papazian.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,988
    dcfaithful wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    DSC07055-640x480.jpg

Is this good? I've really been wanting to go down to the Uinta brewery to pick some up.

I've decided I have no fucking rabbit it my genetic make-up. They can have all the 'hoppy" beer they want!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
    dcfaithful wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    DSC07055-640x480.jpg

Is this good? I've really been wanting to go down to the Uinta brewery to pick some up.

I've decided I have no fucking rabbit it my genetic make-up. They can have all the 'hoppy" beer they want!

:lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I'm gonna be wrecked. No way I make it through them all.

Not wrecked, mildly inebriated. Dude, I've seen you put down 8-10 beers no prob. The 120 is the only threat here. The 90 min is 9% ABV, the 75 is 7.5, and the 60 is 6%. It's not as bad as it sounds. You'll be fine. You can have some crackers if you want. :lol:
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    youngster wrote:
    I'm gonna be wrecked. No way I make it through them all.

Not wrecked, mildly inebriated. Dude, I've seen you put down 8-10 beers no prob. The 120 is the only threat here. The 90 min is 9% ABV, the 75 is 7.5, and the 60 is 6%. It's not as bad as it sounds. You'll be fine. You can have some crackers if you want. :lol:
    I'll have like a thousand oyster crackers. :lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    edited June 2012
    Beer haul from our 2 week road trip:

7perw.jpg
    Ypmf3.jpg
    7E5Lg.jpg
    Post edited by adam42381 on
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Beer haul from our 2 week road trip:

XXXiW.jpg
    Ypmf3.jpg
    7E5Lg.jpg
    Nice!!! I'd love to hear how that Cigar City Cucumber Saison tastes. I love the brewery but never seen that before.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    I'm probably going to be trading the Cucumber Saison, but I hear it's interesting. The growler is Cigar City Brandy Barrel Hunahpu's Imperial Stout. They happened to have it on tap today when I visited so I had a snifter and bought a growler to go. It was great.
    adam42381 wrote:
    I'm probably going to be trading the Cucumber Saison, but I hear it's interesting. The growler is Cigar City Brandy Barrel Hunahpu's Imperial Stout. They happened to have it on tap today when I visited so I had a snifter and bought a growler to go. It was great.
    Where??? I'm up in Tampa all the time for work and I've never seen it on tap around here.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    Deviant Dale's is good shit. Usually just regular Dale's is great, but that stuff takes it up a notch. Big fan of the Bear Republic IPA too.

Really curious about that cucumber saison as well. Let us know how it goes.
    MotoDC wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:
    Where??? I'm up in Tampa all the time for work and I've never seen it on tap around here.
    Cigar City tapped it this week. They were getting rid of all of it because of infection concerns. It definitely wasn't infected.
    so a sorta kinda buddy of mine was heading to ohio a couple weeks ago to visit family and I asked him to check the stores and bring me at least a couple sixers, which he did. But, whether he being a cheap peckerhead or what he comes back with a pair of mixed winter packs.
    In that...
    Southern Tier Old Man
    Anchor Christmas
    New Belgium Snow Day
    Big Sky...whatever their winter is called
    Goose Island Mild Winter
    and i'll be damned if I can remember the other one

Some past their prime of course Old Man was ok and Snow Day last night was pretty tasty....nothing like christmas in June when it freakin 95 degrees out
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    so a sorta kinda buddy of mine was heading to ohio a couple weeks ago to visit family and I asked him to check the stores and bring me at least a couple sixers, which he did. But, whether he being a cheap peckerhead or what he comes back with a pair of mixed winter packs.
    In that...
    Southern Tier Old Man
    Anchor Christmas
    New Belgium Snow Day
    Goose Island Mild Winter

Some past their prime of course Old Man was ok and Snow Day last night was pretty tasty....nothing like christmas in June when it freakin 95 degrees out

Sounds like your "sorta kinda buddy" of your's is a dick.....and pretty funny.

Either way, I don't care what kind it is - if someone wants to bring me free beer then I'm not complaining.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    In that...
    Southern Tier Old Man
    Anchor Christmas
    New Belgium Snow Day
    Goose Island Mild Winter

Sounds like your "sorta kinda buddy" of your's is a dick.....and pretty funny.

Either way, I don't care what kind it is - if someone wants to bring me free beer then I'm not complaining.
    yeah he's a weasel and always has been. He said he didn't find much selection at room temp aside from those. I call bullshit but, as you said, no need complaining....got to try a few I wouldn't otherwise....just about 6 or 7 months late though

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    I'm going to NYC for a pubcrawl on Saturday :D:D:D I hope Reissdorf Kölsch and Traunsteiner Fürsten Trunk are still available on draft at Zum Schneider, and I cannot wait to top the night off with some vodka drinks @ Pravda. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    In that...
    Southern Tier Old Man
    Anchor Christmas
    New Belgium Snow Day
    Goose Island Mild Winter

I really like the the Snow Day. It was a fantastic beer back in Jan/Feb.

Agreed on your buddy doesn't sound like a real "buddy"... Sounds like he bought everything that the store was trying to unload cause it's been sitting there too long...

lol... picked up a 4-pack of DFH festina peach the other day... not a big wheat drinker, but it will be interesting to try...

Haven't been drinking a whole lot for beer the last week... been on a little bit of a scotch kick again... realized i have 4 different bottles of open single malt in the cupboard and 2 un-open ones in the closet, need to catch up... :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Pyramid finally distributes to Mass! This beer was one of the highlights of my trip to Seattle a few years ago.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Pyramid? Really? I recently went to their brewpub in Berkeley and thought most of their beer was boring. That said, I found a new beer yesterday from Boulevard. It's a Golden Bock and I am stoked to try it.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,457
    Finally had some of the DeSchutes styles here in PA...pretty good.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
    Deschutes beer is awesome. What did you have?
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. A great, easy to drink, "generic" beer.

That shit is dangerous for me. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    strilo wrote:
    Deschutes beer is awesome. What did you have?

Not only is it the best that I get to live in Bend, but where else can you drink excellent beer made 100 yards away when listening to live music at a beautiful outdoor venue? Michael Franti's up next!
    I work two blocks from the Portland Deschutes Brewpub. I love it.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    strilo wrote:

Which also means you're a 6 minute stumble from about 10 other brewpubs! Portland is awesome.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    JV130312 wrote:
    Finally had some of the DeSchutes styles here in PA...pretty good.

Good stuff!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    Heck, I can't remember if I posted this in here yet, but if any of you ever get to Iowa, look to try some Toppling Goliath beers. A terrific newer brewery. About to expand and put in a bottling line. Currently tap only except for a few rare one off bottling events.

There beers are delicious. Great lineup of pale ale/ipas using different hops:

PseudoSue - Citra
    Zeelander - Nelson
    Golden Nugget (their flagship) - nugget
    Biter - can't remember what hop
    Millennium Falcon - falconer's flight
    1492 - columbus
    Twisted Galaxy - galaxy hop

I think I'm forgetting some.

Not too mention some great stouts and barrel-aged stouts:

Rover Truck
    Morning Delight
    Kentucky Brunch
    Assassin

Just avoid Dorthy's, Tsunami Pale, Tsunami dark is they have any of the above listed. Decent beers but pedestrian and meant for people that need "training wheels" for craft beer.
    hippiemom = goodness
    strilo wrote:

The girlfriend and I were in Portland last month and we had dinner there before seeing Mark Lanegan at the Wonder Ballroom.

The Elk Burger is awesome.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    dcfaithful wrote:
    strilo wrote:

The girlfriend and I were in Portland last month and we had dinner there before seeing Mark Lanegan at the Wonder Ballroom.

is that where it started for "the girlfriend"? :shh: :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    strilo wrote:
    Pyramid? Really? I recently went to their brewpub in Berkeley and thought most of their beer was boring. That said, I found a new beer yesterday from Boulevard. It's a Golden Bock and I am stoked to try it.

yeah, not a fan of the pyramid.

we did a portland brewpub stumble a few years back. highlights that I remember were lucky lab and bridgeport :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. A great, easy to drink, "generic" beer.

That shit is dangerous for me. :lol:
    True that. Bitten me in the ass a few times :lol: