The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    MotoDC wrote:
    I've been very happy with the Great Divide stuff I've tried. See if you can get your hands on their Espresso Oak Aged Yeti or their 18th Anniversary Wood Aged DIPA. Holy shit.

I've had like 3 different varieties of the Yeti line. They are all spectacular stouts. As for DIPA, I am not a fan of IPAs. I don't like bitter beers. It makes me quite the reject here in Hop Stoopid Portland.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    strilo wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:
    I've been very happy with the Great Divide stuff I've tried. See if you can get your hands on their Espresso Oak Aged Yeti or their 18th Anniversary Wood Aged DIPA. Holy shit.

I've had like 3 different varieties of the Yeti line. They are all spectacular stouts. As for DIPA, I am not a fan of IPAs. I don't like bitter beers. It makes me quite the reject here in Hop Stoopid Portland.
    I used to be right there with you, but I'm addicted to them now.
    Lots of people tell me that, but it's been decades and it hasn't happened yet. :P
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    strilo wrote:
    Lots of people tell me that, but it's been decades and it hasn't happened yet. :P
    Hahaha we will convert you yet, damn you! :twisted:

Are you into sours? Seems like folks who aren't hopheads are often into sours and vice versa. Might just be my imagination.
    I love sours. We have Cascade Brewing here in Portland and I love their "House of Sour" barrel house.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    Had a bottle of Full Sail - Alt (Phil's Existental Alt)... not bad... not quite what I was searching for though when I picked put an Alt though....

For my birthday (which was yesterday) my girlfriend signed me up for the "Rare beer of the Month" club... through a website that one of her co-workers who is also into beer recommended... The list is apparently curated by a lot of Michael Jackson's recommedations... I can't wait to see what turns up. It was an awesome gift.... :D
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    shep wrote:
    Had a bottle of Full Sail - Alt (Phil's Existental Alt)... not bad... not quite what I was searching for though when I picked put an Alt though....

For my birthday (which was yesterday) my girlfriend signed me up for the "Rare beer of the Month" club... through a website that one of her co-workers who is also into beer recommended... The list is apparently curated by a lot of Michael Jackson's recommedations... I can't wait to see what turns up. It was an awesome gift.... :D
    I've wanted to join that club myself but I've held back because I'd have to share it with #1 drinking/brewing buddy and that would just suck for the cost...maybe i need to order it and not let him know i did :lol:

We tried Rogue's Dad's Little Helper Black IPA last night and thought it was awesome. Actually of the many Rogue selections we've had it may well be my favorite...it's on the short list for sure. We also bottled up our latest home brew so looking forward to that in a couple of weeks
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    If you can get your hands on a case of Victory's Summer Love, pack it in a cooler with ice, head to the beach, and proceed to sit there for the next 8 hours basking in the sun while drinking.

**Bottle coozies are also a must**
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I picked up Stone 13th Anniversary and Two Brothers Hop Juice DIPA. I won't be able to try them until next week, but I'm looking forward to it!!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Picked up a bottle of DFH World Wide Stout (08), 120, and ta henket.... :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    incrediblehop.jpg
    this shit is gooooood
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Ommegang Aphrodite
    Pyramid Hefe...Pyramid is finally selling to the east coast!!!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    incrediblehop.jpg
    this shit is gooooood
    I was pleased to find out Fort Collins will be distributing its full line here come july :D

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    If you can get your hands on a case of Victory's Summer Love, pack it in a cooler with ice, head to the beach, and proceed to sit there for the next 8 hours basking in the sun while drinking.

**Bottle coozies are also a must**

I'd agree and also throw Appalachian Brewing Anniversary Maibock and Leiney's Summer Shandy in there as well.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    When I was home for a couple days I got to try the Stone Russian Imperial Stout 2010 release. Oh so good. The store had two bottles of it left so I bought both and have the other one awaiting my return :)
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Going to try the DFH IPA challenge. Start off with a 120 and go down to 90, 75 and 60. One bottle each (the 75 will be in a 16 oz pint glass) Should be good. Should get a decent buzz out of that.

Oh, and Fenway brought over some Sierra Nevada Hoptimum last night. Some good shit right there.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    youngster wrote:
    Going to try the DFH IPA challenge. Start off with a 120 and go down to 90, 75 and 60. One bottle each (the 75 will be in a 16 oz pint glass) Should be good. Should get a decent buzz out of that.

Oh, and Fenway brought over some Sierra Nevada Hoptimum last night. Some good shit right there.
    the 90 is my favorite.
    A friend of mine that works at Harpoon just sent me a case of 100 barrel series from April. Catamount Maple Wheat. I'm in heaven.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I'm gonna be wrecked. No way I make it through them all.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    I had some Arrogant Bastard Ale today. Meh... nice beer but too bitter/hoppy for me.
    We tried Rogue's Dad's Little Helper Black IPA last night and thought it was awesome. Actually of the many Rogue selections we've had it may well be my favorite...it's on the short list for sure. We also bottled up our latest home brew so looking forward to that in a couple of weeks

Nice! I actually bought myself a home brewing kit from Northern Brewer last week as a birthday gift to myself.... Can't wait to give it a try. I've been reading the "How to Brew" text by John Palmer. It's pretty informative - my plan is to follow his Cincinnati Pale Ale receipe for my first batch, and move on from there... My parents are visiting from Canada this weekend so I won't get to do it until June the 30th, but I'm super excited.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:

Nice! I actually bought myself a home brewing kit from Northern Brewer last week as a birthday gift to myself.... Can't wait to give it a try. I've been reading the "How to Brew" text by John Palmer. It's pretty informative - my plan is to follow his Cincinnati Pale Ale receipe for my first batch, and move on from there... My parents are visiting from Canada this weekend so I won't get to do it until June the 30th, but I'm super excited.
    We'll my buddy and I aren't very experienced but we've done several batches using the mr. beer kit is wife got him last year. This one was actually the first one we've done that including adding additional ingredients. The plan is to order a more sophisticated kit from Northern Brewer in the near future and begin expanding our abilities. All-grain may come one day but we'll be doing extract for a while given the added equipment costs. It's really fun though....we're also planning on brewing our next batch (an IPA) tonight or by the weekend. It's a fun (and tasty) hobby for sure

We'll my buddy and I aren't very experienced but we've done several batches using the mr. beer kit is wife got him last year. This one was actually the first one we've done that including adding additional ingredients. The plan is to order a more sophisticated kit from Northern Brewer in the near future and begin expanding our abilities. All-grain may come one day but we'll be doing extract for a while given the added equipment costs. It's really fun though....we're also planning on brewing our next batch (an IPA) tonight or by the weekend. It's a fun (and tasty) hobby for sure

Yea, my first batch will be a malt extract, and I would imagine I'll be doing it that way until I get it right.

The kit I got from northern brewer was only $170, and it's pretty nice. Was a little disappointed at the amount of PBW and sanitizer they supplied (I don't think it's even enough to get the kit clean before I brew my first batch), and they fact that the bubblers they included are plasitc, not glass (and appear to be single use)... but other than that it's pretty decent. 2 glass carboy's included and all...

By the time I added in all the ingredients for the first batch, and a stainless brew kettle (not included in the kit) my order rounded out at about $240... going to be one expensive first batch. :fp:
    oh yeah it's definitely expensive getting started. I'm also interested in the NB pro series recipes....I'm really wanting to do the Surly Furious when we do order the stuff. They just began offering Tallgrass recipes too and I enjoy all their beers...wouldn't mind having a load of that stuff

On a side note, Mizzip and Alabama are the only states that still don't allow homebrewing but both have organizations working hard to get it right (Raise Your Pints in Mizzip and Free The Hops in Bama). Anyways, a recent article in the jackson newspaper focused on homebrewing and the battle to legalize it. State dept of revenue representative pretty much said they are unconcerned with it and basically gave the go ahead to have at it. Well...actually she said they have too few agents and far more pressing concerns than to have the time or desire to focus on it....sounds like a green light to me :lol:

• Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,988
    Have any of you had the chance to try an Epic brews?

Their Smoked and Oaked is so complex! Its like sipping whiskey and a stout, but not really a stout at all. It just has sooo much going on. Incredible.

I honestly am not smart enough to craft a review like the ones I read on beer advocate... I just sit there and give my taste buds, olfactory nerves and neurons the chance to dance together and report back to me later... funny thing is that they often times don't report back until the memory bank has closed for the night!

Will be having Russian Rivers Consecration tonight!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
    Have any of you had the chance to try an Epic brews?

Their Smoked and Oaked is so complex! Its like sipping whiskey and a stout, but not really a stout at all. It just has sooo much going on. Incredible.

I honestly am not smart enough to craft a review like the ones I read on beer advocate... I just sit there and give my taste buds, olfactory nerves and neurons the chance to dance together and report back to me later... funny thing is that they often times don't report back until the memory bank has closed for the night!

Will be having Russian Rivers Consecration tonight!
    I have not had any Epic brews but hopefully one day. I am however much like you in that I'm not one to really go overboard with reviewing a beer. Taking it so seriously and scrutinizing every aspect of the beer (like whether or not it specifically fits a style) kind of takes of the fun out of it. I try to take each beer for what it is and give fair consideration even when it's not one of my preferred styles.

I mentioned before that I would like to home brew some Surly Furious....I've seen a lot of hype but it sounds exactly like something i would be crazy about...is it truly as good as "they" say?

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    DSC07055-640x480.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    When I was home for a couple days I got to try the Stone Russian Imperial Stout 2010 release. Oh so good. The store had two bottles of it left so I bought both and have the other one awaiting my return :)

MMM one of my faves!

Did a lot of traveling for work in Michigan this past month and Bell's Oberon was on tap everywhere...I took full advantage!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    imalive wrote:
    DSC07055-640x480.jpg

Is this good? I've really been wanting to go down to the Uinta brewery to pick some up.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    dcfaithful wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    DSC07055-640x480.jpg

Is this good? I've really been wanting to go down to the Uinta brewery to pick some up.

very good....if you like a hoppy beer. 7.5%
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    imalive wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    DSC07055-640x480.jpg

very good....if you like a hoppy beer. 7.5%

Right up my alley. This shall be my next beer purchase. :D :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2