The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    adam42381 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:
    Had Cigar City's Cucumber Saison last night. It was very different and worth trying, but I couldn't finish my second glass. The cucumber flavor was just too much to polish off a 750ml bottle by myself.

2sl6l.jpg

A cucumber beer? :think:
    Yep.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/73070/
    I'd be very interested in trying that myself but of course no dice around here. But a cucumber beer is kind of like the rogue maple bacon...just too intriguing not to give it a try...the maple bacon wasn't as bad as I feared but could never have finished a bottle solo
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764

I'd be very interested in trying that myself but of course no dice around here. But a cucumber beer is kind of like the rogue maple bacon...just too intriguing not to give it a try...the maple bacon wasn't as bad as I feared but could never have finished a bottle solo

The beer is actually one of my "rare beers of the month" for July.... i guess it should be getting delivered sometime soon.... will be interesting I guess... not sure how I feel about the concept of a cucumber beer either...

the June shipment (which only showed up on monday) was Flanders Fred and Zomberhop, both belgians.... they should be interesting to try... hopefully I'll get to crack at least one of them the weekend, although the 75 minute IPA is on deck first...

gonna head back to the beer store this evening and see if I can grab some more Burton Baton... had 2 of them last weekend for the first time, and it was amazing... such a good brew that i must have more...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Burton Baton is good stuff.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Burton Baton is good stuff.

oh man... I got to try it for the first time last week... stupidly i only bought a four pack... I drank two of them and went back to the beer store to get another 4-pack... and it was all gone... :cry: ...we don't get a lot of the good stuff from DFH in Texas, and what we do get doesn't last long....

Drinking an Imperial Java Stout from Santa Fe Brewing right now... it is a fantastic brew...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    adam42381 wrote:
    Picked these up at Total Wine yesterday.

k6AMD.jpg

jealous of those 120's, need to trade for 1 of those as they never see light of day down in tx. is the 10th anniv ruination exact same recipe of regular ruination? i saw those last week but have not checked out BA.com for any info...
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
    adam42381 wrote:
    Just got these today via trade from a member on BeerAdvocate. Russian River Pliny the Elder (2X), Stone Smoked Porter with Vanilla Bean, The Lost Abbey & New Belgium Mo Betta Bretta, The Lost Abbey Red Poppy, Russian River Beatification and Founders KBS '11.

OtncK.jpg

that's a damn good haul right there. i had a mini-run on pliney's last year after a trip to RR brewery but no more trips to cali until 2013. i will seek out some RR brews if i make to philly for the MIA festival as i am pretty sure they distribute most of their beers in philly.

i've heard via ba.com that lost abbey is having some QC problems w/their beers, wonder if that is still an issue...
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Picked up 1 Founder's Devil Dancer, 1 DFH 120 and a 12 pack of Dales Pale Ale last night. This portion control of specialty beers is annoying. Now I have to go back today to get one more of each on the way home.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    RFTC wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

k6AMD.jpg

jealous of those 120's, need to trade for 1 of those as they never see light of day down in tx. is the 10th anniv ruination exact same recipe of regular ruination? i saw those last week but have not checked out BA.com for any info...
    Man Ruination is awesome. I picked up just one bottle when i stocked up in memphis a while back...idiot buddy was settin em up for us and knocked the bottle over...wasted half of it....after i tasted it i think that may have a crime punishable by at least a good, solid ass whippin but he's a rather large dude :lol:

We've gotten Rochefort 8, Red Brick Hoplanta and double ipa and lots of other exciting brews at my store down the road but i haven't had the chance to go...my buddy is supposed to be in that neck of the woods tomorrow though so we're going to restock the fridge. There's supposed to be a shipment of Sierra nevada stuff hitting stores today or tomorrow too...will be nice to pick up a 6er of torpedo or bigfoot whenever i get ready to
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I'm going to drink the 10th Anniversary Ruination when I get off work tonight. 10.8%
    #FHP
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    Horos wrote:
    I'm going to drink the 10th Anniversary Ruination when I get off work tonight. 10.8%

Was at the my usual store last night checking with the beer guy, trying to see if he had any more burton baton outback on the stash he could slip me.... no dice.

anyway, he said he was getting his shipment of the 10th anniversary today... told me to stop by after work and he'd have a couple of bottles for me, so gonna do that at 5... excited to try it... probably won't get to it for a week or two yet though... 75 minute is up first, then my "rare beers of the month"... then the 10th anny... damn so many beers to try, too little drinking time... :fp:
    Horos wrote:

I just found a total wine near me has 9 left. Only 1 per person again. Ugh!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I also picked up a sixer of Weyerbacher Last Chance IPA. I'll be back once I sample. I can't drink until Saturday night because of some meds I'm taking.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    RFTC wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

k6AMD.jpg

The 10th Anniversary Ruination is a different recipe. I think it's even more bitter (in a good way) and has more alcohol. I liked it a lot.
    adam42381 wrote:
    RFTC wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

k6AMD.jpg

The 10th Anniversary Ruination is a different recipe. I think it's even more bitter (in a good way) and has more alcohol. I liked it a lot.
    Yup, per Stone's website, the 10th Anni brew is basically a more badass version all around than "normal" Ruination (which is anything but normal haha). More hops, more booze, more flavor. Still looking for it in my area. Need to make some calls.
    Does anyone save their bottles? I started to save some but with this craft beer boom, I'm going to run out of room quickly.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Does anyone save their bottles? I started to save some but with this craft beer boom, I'm going to run out of room quickly.
    I recently started saving large format (750ml & 22 oz) bottles and displaying them on top of my kitchen cabinets. Thinking about putting cheap shelving in my garage to do the same once I run out of room in the kitchen.
    Drinking this bad boy right now. My first Fantôme saison and it doesn't dissapoint.

UO53t.jpg
    adam42381 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I recently started saving large format (750ml & 22 oz) bottles and displaying them on top of my kitchen cabinets. Thinking about putting cheap shelving in my garage to do the same once I run out of room in the kitchen.

Still single, huh? :lol:

I've kept one bottle (Brother Thelonious) and it sits on my amp in "my room".
    Go Beavers wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Still single, huh? :lol:

I've kept one bottle (Brother Thelonious) and it sits on my amp in "my room".
    Nope, the wife is just cool like that.

gyzeG.jpg
    JK_Livin wrote:

i do, but just for my homebrew, are you talking about saving for like collector stuff?
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    adam42381 wrote:
    Drinking this bad boy right now. My first Fantôme saison and it doesn't dissapoint.

UO53t.jpg

one of the best if not THE best saison. side note, i am brewing a west coast saison right this moment. will be ready late august for a late summer/early fall gulper.
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    RFTC wrote:
    one of the best if not THE best saison.
    It's the best saison I've ever tried.
    picked up the hoptimum....better be good.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

umm, good luck w/that. i am a hophead and hoptimum was over the top for me.

i tried a single 3 different times and each one was ok, but i'd rather have a $3.99 750ml hopstoopid any day of the week.
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    81 wrote:
    I really liked it actually. But Headdy Topper was better.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    RFTC wrote:
    81 wrote:

i tried a single 3 different times and each one was ok, but i'd rather have a $3.99 750ml hopstoopid any day of the week.
    That's a great price. I've never seen a 750ml bottle of any beer for $3.99.
    adam42381 wrote:
    RFTC wrote:
    81 wrote:

That's a great price. I've never seen a 750ml bottle of any beer for $3.99.

edit, $4.29 at specs (cash only), deal o' century for hops goodness.

i take that back, deal o' century would be $1 Pliny's and/or Hopslams by the fkn bucket before a pj gig.
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mr hoppy was prettu damn smooth
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    adam42381 wrote:
    RFTC wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

k6AMD.jpg

Drinking mine now and down to the last 4-5 oz. :cry: Have to buy more. :D
    #FHP
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I have more than 100 I collected over the last 6 months. I had them around my garage but have packed them in boxes. Originally I just collected the painted labels but a lot of the beers I'm buying are limited. One day I hope to wallpaper with them.
    #FHP