The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    so mikkeller is not a "craft" beer but it is a good beer.

There are so many hoppy options by them. Anyone have any suggestions of which to try?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I've not had any of theirs but my recommendation is always...TRY ALL OF THEM! :D
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    gonna pick up some tasty beers in a little bit. :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    My best bud is having a baby sometime this weekend. Well, he's not; his wife is. Think I'm gonna stop by the Whole Foods and get her some flowers and him a nice bottle of Curieux(sp?).
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    brewed in small batches
    real wild blueberry beer
    yum
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    Was out to my local craft bar last night for darts and a couple of glasses... got to try:

Clown Shoes - Hoppy Feet
    Santa Fe - State Pen Porter
    Real Ale - Hans' Pils
    Smaltz - Coney Island Mermaid Pilsner

Really enjoyed the State Pen Porter... have had a thing for porters lately. Been trying to stay away from the super heavy IPAs the last little while cause it's just so damn hot here in Texas and sipping them 1/2 warm just doesn't go with the season :lol:. The Hans' Pils was tasty as well, if I catch it next time I'm in specs and it's still on the shelves I'll pick up a sixer.

Also tried the DFH Festina Peach and Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA... wasn't a big fan of the Festina, but I'm not much of a wheat guy...

I was in my local specs there yesterday and was super-surprised to find Burton Baton on the shelf.... Hasn't been any DFH coming around in a long time, and then this great IPA... only problem was a 4-pack was $17. I picked up 1.... put two bottles in the cupboard to try and two in the beer-aging fridge.... I'm pretty much outta space in there! :fp:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Last night was pretty good:
    Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale
    Pyramid Apricot Ale
    DFH 90 minute IPA
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Celebrated Mizzip Beer Day with a trip to the store yesterday morning and a Torpedo for the first round of celebration. Last night we tried the new Lazy Magnolia Timber Beast Rye IPA (8%!!!!!) and it was delicious. I'm not sure if it is as good as Ruthless Rye but it's right up there I think...or maybe I was just so excited.
    Picked up several Abita offering previously unavailable here as well and the store will be getting a ton of new stuff today with even more expected by the end of the week. Good times.

The cool thing was that Abita and Yazoo loaded up for midnight runs into the state Saturday night because the beer wasn't even allowed to be within the state borders until after midnight. and lazy magnolia had a midnight bottling run on the Timber Beast....great work in getting as much new stuff in the stores as possible on the day the law changed

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    intodeep wrote:
    so mikkeller is not a "craft" beer but it is a good beer.

There are so many hoppy options by them. Anyone have any suggestions of which to try?
    I'd say Mikkeller definitely makes craft beer despite not having a brewery.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Go Beavers wrote:
    strilo wrote:
    This weekend is the Organic Beer Fest in Portland. I've never been, but am hoping to go.

If you go, give us a review of your faves.

I did do a few RateBeer ratings and reviews...

Laht Neppur Strawberry Cream- Rating: 4.3 "Nice refreshing nose, smooth and sweet. This beer is drinkable and nice. Good for summer"

Uncommon Brewers Siamese Twin Ale- Rating: 5 "Very smooth and drinkable, especially for an 8.5% ABV beer. Rich tasting and perfect for cool cloudy days."

Eel River Acai Berry Wheat- Rating: 3.6 "Nice berry flavor, a bit weak on the wheat side. Has an aftertaste that reminds me of Captain Crunch with berries."

Mt. Emily Ale House Heifer-Weizen- Rating: 4.7 "Excellent Bavarian style Hefeweissbier. Low carbonation and smooth drinking."
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    Had Abita's Save Our Shore pilsner Tuesday evening which was pretty nice and at a good price, I'd pick it up on a fairly regular basis.
    Last night – this may or may not be craft – had Mons (canada) Abbey Blonde...not a big fan of the style at all but it was probably the most flavorful I've had...B+ We've got two more Mons beers to try....one a Dubbel and I don't remember what the other one is
    Planning on another trip to the store in the next couple days for new to here high gravity beers from Tallgrass, Tommyknocker, Rogue and Red Brick

I'm really really loving the Lazy Magnolia Timber Beast but now am wishing i'd bought a couple more 4packs...I got three....because there has been a huge run on it...gonna be hard to find for a little bit I guess. But it's definitely a keeper

Just got these today via trade from a member on BeerAdvocate. Russian River Pliny the Elder (2X), Stone Smoked Porter with Vanilla Bean, The Lost Abbey & New Belgium Mo Betta Bretta, The Lost Abbey Red Poppy, Russian River Beatification and Founders KBS '11.

OtncK.jpg
    Holy shit, this stuff is good. You guys who live in their distribution area are some lucky bastards.

YfuLV.jpg
    adam42381 wrote:
    Holy shit, this stuff is good. You guys who live in their distribution area are some lucky bastards.

YfuLV.jpg

The Holy Grail. A place in town had a keg a few weeks ago and sold $10 10oz. tasters for charity.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    First trip to the store in over a month.

Had to cut back on the beer budget. :cry:

1871c8734729__1341624023000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&nocache=1341625779059&rs=false
    There's: Ninkasi Radiant Red Ale, Nuptial Cream Ale, and Maiden the Shade Summer Ale. A 10th Anniversary Stone Ruination IPA, Elysian Wasteland Elderflower Saison the 6th beer of the apocalypse and a couple of DFH Saison du Buff.
    #FHP
  • Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    adam42381 wrote:
    Just got these today via trade from a member on BeerAdvocate. Russian River Pliny the Elder (2X), Stone Smoked Porter with Vanilla Bean, The Lost Abbey & New Belgium Mo Betta Bretta, The Lost Abbey Red Poppy, Russian River Beatification and Founders KBS '11.

OtncK.jpg

:drool: :clap: I have someone who is sending me a bottle of Pliny when I get back home in December :D
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    I have to get my hands on a bottle of Pilney. Have a buddy who has talked it up so much. I try to keep my expectations at bay.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I have to get my hands on a bottle of Pilney. Have a buddy who has talked it up so much. I try to keep my expectations at bay.
    It was excellent. I still preferred last year's Hopslam (this year's was too boozy, IMO).
    Picked these up at Total Wine yesterday.

k6AMD.jpg
    Sometimes I think we should have this thread renamed to the IPA Thread.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

it's kind of hard to do that when the beer takes the crown as best beer in america for the 4th year in a row according to the AHA...

I've never got to try it either... Russian River does not do business in the state of TX :cry: ... like so many other breweries who don't deal with the backwards policies of the TABC.... Anyone wants to hook me up I'll make it worth your time...

Did manage to get a bottle of 75 minute IPA there yesterday... I know I'm late to that boat, but can't wait to try it... I've been off work since Tuesday, got a try a pile of different beers:

Brackenridge - Summerbright
    Live Oak - Big Bark
    Brooklyn - Summer Ale
    Avery - Salvation
    Red Hook - ESB

I know there's more... i just can't remember 'em all... problem is I try not to judge a beer until I've had at least 2 glasses (or 2 bottles, depending on the size of the bottle), so I don't log them in my BA reviews.... :|
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Question for you Stone fans...

I've got a complete set of the Vertical Epic Ale series. Obviously, we're only five months away from being able to enjoy these brews. A buddy and I have been discussing whether or not it's worth it to keep the set or sell 'em.

While I've thoroughly enjoyed a bottle of each through the years (except the first one), I've seen 02-02-02 go for as much as $600 bones on the 'bay. The complete set for about $300 more.

I've suggested selling the first bottle, enjoying the other 10, and having cash in my pocket. My buddy says I'm crazy, and that it's worth the experience after holding on to it for over a decade. The way I look at it, five-and-a-half bottles each, and we will quickly forget what 02-02-02 even tasted like! Anyone have thoughts on the matter?
    got my June shipment of beer from the "Rare Beer Club" yesterday... looks tasty... I can't remember the names now, but I'll snap a pic of the two bottles when I get home and post it for everyone to "oooh" and "aaaaahhhh" enviously ;)
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Question for you Stone fans...

I've got a complete set of the Vertical Epic Ale series. Obviously, we're only five months away from being able to enjoy these brews. A buddy and I have been discussing whether or not it's worth it to keep the set or sell 'em.

While I've thoroughly enjoyed a bottle of each through the years (except the first one), I've seen 02-02-02 go for as much as $600 bones on the 'bay. The complete set for about $300 more.

I've suggested selling the first bottle, enjoying the other 10, and having cash in my pocket. My buddy says I'm crazy, and that it's worth the experience after holding on to it for over a decade. The way I look at it, five-and-a-half bottles each, and we will quickly forget what 02-02-02 even tasted like! Anyone have thoughts on the matter?
    Pretty nice having the whole set. Would be hard for me not to sell them especially if you've tasted them already. Then again if you've been waiting to party with them all these years.
    #FHP
    Question for you Stone fans...

That's a tough one. On the one hand, you had the patience to keep them all without drinking them. On the other hand, that's a lot of cash. Personally, I'd either sell them all or trade for some ridiculously rare beers. If you sold the first bottle, it kind of defeats the purpose of doing the vertical in the first place.
    Had Cigar City's Cucumber Saison last night. It was very different and worth trying, but I couldn't finish my second glass. The cucumber flavor was just too much to polish off a 750ml bottle by myself. 2sl6l.jpg
    adam42381 wrote:
    Had Cigar City's Cucumber Saison last night. It was very different and worth trying, but I couldn't finish my second glass. The cucumber flavor was just too much to polish off a 750ml bottle by myself. 2sl6l.jpg

A cucumber beer? :think:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Picked up a 6-pack of Troegs Perpetual IPA.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    dcfaithful wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:
    Had Cigar City's Cucumber Saison last night. It was very different and worth trying, but I couldn't finish my second glass. The cucumber flavor was just too much to polish off a 750ml bottle by myself.

2sl6l.jpg

A cucumber beer? :think:
    Yep.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/73070/
    Tonight, I'm watching the MLB All Star Game and drinking an Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's. Good stuff.

paskM.jpg