The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    adam42381 wrote:
    My local World of Beer hosted a Cigar City tap takeover on Tuesday. What a fantastic night. They had 11 beers on draft and 1 cask of Tocobaga Red Ale which was excellent. Here's the list of Cigar City beers that were on tap:

El Lector
    Ligero
    Hotter than Helles
    Florida Cracker
    Jai Alai
    Mango Habanero Jai Alai
    Maduro
    Minaret
    Tocobaga Red
    Tocobaga Red (cask)
    Improv
    Hot Blooded Foreign Stout
    Nice! Jai Alai is one of my favorites...how is the mango habanero???
    Jai Alai from the tap is so monkey-floggin' good. IPAs in general benefit from being super fresh, but man, Jai Alai is on another planet from the tap.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    shep wrote:
    Green Flash - Palate Wrecker

Amazing name for a beer!

It lived up to it's name too... ;)

Tried a Kona Brewing - Longboard Island Lager last night... wasn't very impressed.

Went and got my first growler fill last night at a new craft beer bar... I've always wanted to give it a try and I'm headed out with some friends tonight so I figured it was as good a time as any. The place offers full and 1/2 growler fills, got a 1/2 fill of Victory - Summer Love... the sample was good enough that I thought a bottle would be great for some BBQing/deck beers before we go out to the House of Blues and I'm forced to drink $8 bud lights for the rest of the night (or $10 heinikens.... :roll: )
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Had the Yazoo Hop Project #65 last night and it may well be the of the 12 we've had. I'm just pissed I missed out on all the ones before it.
    Had a lot of good stuff lately including Rare Vos, La Fin Du Monde and Rogue Double chocolate.
    Got some morimoto soba ale from rogue which will probably be tonight's treat as well as a couple of the Sam Adams summer styles variety packs so the Belgian Session and East-West Kolsch will likely be part of the weekend samplings.
    Also a buddy of mine visited family in ohio over the weekend and brought to me a couple of winter styles variety sixers including Anchor Christmas, New Belgium christmas, Magic Hat Howl....well hell i can't remember what else there was....hopefully those beers won't suffer from having been sitting around a while
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    La Fin du Monde is amazing beer. Love Belgian style beers.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    strilo wrote:
    La Fin du Monde is amazing beer. Love Belgian style beers.
    I just tried that last week and i concur. Good stuff. Have had some good ones lately. Last night had sam adams whitewater ipa (which fuses a white and an ipa) and it's a nice one. Noble pils has sorta become my go-to lately but I think i'd pick up whitewater more often than not if it was readily available.
    Place an order for Rogue's father's day special the other day....three bombers of dad's little helper black ipa and two glasses for $28....not bad I guess but $18 for shipping was the cheapest option...which sucks but of course that's to be expected i guess.
    Also have a batch of Ole' Mole' stout fermenting....brewed with dark brown sugar, unsweetened cocoa and a bit of cayenne pepper..we're opening to enjoy a couple bottles on July 1 which is when Mizzip's highter ABV law kicks in. Won't be able to get the new stuff that Sunday so we figured we'd have something to celebrate with anyway

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I tried the DFH Black and Blue last night. Not my bag baby.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I am shocked at how often Sam Adams comes up in this thread. I've never had one of their beers that was more than okay. Do people really consider them Craft Beer?
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    I'm not sure why Boston Beer wouldn't be considered craft? Because of the level of production? Does being highly successful make a brewery unworthy of the "craft" tag? Me thinks not. And with the rate at which others like Sierra Nevada are growing at what point do they cease to be "craft"? The way I look at it the craft beer boom would never have happened without the likes of BB and SN

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I like the plain old Sam Adam's Boston lager. I haven't been too impressed with their seasonals.

Tried the DFH Red & White last night and it was pretty good. Much better than the Black & Blue.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Ok but my point is "craft" isn't about whether or not someone likes the beers....it's about the quality, right? Good beer or not why wouldn't it be craft? If that's the criteria to meet I'll throw a few more out of the club :lol:
    I'm not trying to be smart in the least but this argument has always interested me...I'd just like to what other folks feel makes beer craft beer

And i so wish i could get some dogfish around here. Didn't realize they had pulled out of Tennessee a year or so ago so i was really bummed when I learned of this on a recent trip

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Sam Adams blows, just like the city it's from. :lol:
    I guess my issue with Sam Adams is that all of their beer just sucks. It's not much better than Bud, Coors or Miller.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    strilo wrote:
    I guess my issue with Sam Adams is that all of their beer just sucks. It's not much better than Bud, Coors or Miller.

The bigger Sam Adams gets, the more people that say this. I think they have some great beers and some that I will enevr touch again.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I tried the DFH Black and Blue last night. Not my bag baby.

I had one the other night and loved it. You have to be a fan of a fruity beer, but I love that this one clocks in at 10% ABV. I feel like the head of the beer has a bluish tint because of the blackberries and blueberry puree.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    strilo wrote:

The bigger Sam Adams gets, the more people that say this. I think they have some great beers and some that I will enevr touch again.

Agreed. Sam does have some great recipes, and some not so great. People don't realize that they brew so many different beers... and just drink the Boston Lager (which is still decent in my opinion).

Also, BTW, the craft brewers association (or whatever it's called), raised the limit this year on production for the definition of a "craft brewery" to something like 6,000,000 bbls a year... In the article that I read on it, this would mostly to accomodate breweries like Sierra Nevada, New Belguim, and Sam Adams, which were all due to exceed the current cap (which was 2,000,000 bbls/year) sometime in the next few years. The bottom line was that the brewers association felt that these breweries still supported the craft beer "culture" and "philosophies", and that people turning to them was/is a bridge to explore deeper into the craft brewing industry. (if i remember correctly Sam Calgonie (DFH) said this in his interview with BA about becoming head of the craft brewers association in 2012 or 2013)....

On a side note, when I went to go get a growler fill last night (which I filled with Buffalo Bayou 1836 Copper Ale), I got to have a 1/2 pint of Jester King Noble Pils on cask... it was delicious.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Lagunitas Undercover investigation shut down ale

that shit will fuck you up.

9.8%

but it's tasty, so it's worth it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    9.8 might be wrong. the cardboard sleeve states 9.9, bottle is 9.8, online showed 9.5

wtf are they doing out there in cali :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Boulevard Dark Truth :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    strilo wrote:

i agreee with both of you....

i think sam adams is over rated, but i agree, the more popular something becomes, teh more hate it gets
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Boulevard Dark Truth :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

that is some serious shit. :thumbup:

i'm liking this Lagunitas a little more than the dark truth. the truth had a very noticiable acholholllhhoool (sp) taste. the lagunitas is a lot smoother.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Picaroons.

[/]thread
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Had a couple of Lagunitas this week myself: Maximus IPA 8.2% and Lucky 13 Anniversary Ale 8.9%. Both were rather tasty.
    #FHP
    Yeah I have no doubt that Sam Adams does a lot to perpetuate and support the craft beer culture. Their commercials alone do that. Still, I've never had one Sam Adams beer I would order again. Not in Portland, with SO many other choices.

That said, someone mentioned Boulevard. They are a fucking fantastic brewery I discovered when I was in Kansas City for business. Who would have known beer that good would come from there?? I love their Unfiltered Wheat, it's been my summer go-to beer since last year. Their other stuff is fantastic too, especially their Smokestack series. The Sixth Glass and their double wit are two of my favorites.

The brewery that replaced Boulevard as my newest brewery obsession is Great Divide. I don't think I've had one beer from them that is not excellent.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    81 wrote:

9.8%

what's the IBU on that bastard?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Newbies this weekend:

Alaskan - IPA
    Saint Arnold - Homefront IPA
    Santa Fe Brewing Company - Imperial Java Stout

The java stout was quite enjoyable... looking forward to trying another of the 6-pack i picked up.... the coffee notes in it are quite intense (as I guess you would imagine)....
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Here's what we tried a couple of weeks ago:

Ninkasi Radiant Ale
    Belhaven Scottish Ale
    Trappistes Rochefort
    Widmer Kill Devil
    Black Bass Porter
    Buffalo Bills Orange Blossom
    7 Brides Lil Pils
    Bridgeport Dark Rain
    McTarnahans Summer Grifter IPA
    Pyramid Thunderhead

Last night we went the the Eugene City Brewery and sampled these selections from Rogue:

Dad's Black IPA
    Smoke
    Hazelnut Brown Nectar
    The Swarm
    Yellow Snow
    Old Crustacean Barleywine
    Morimoto Imperial Pilsner
    Shakespeare Stout
    Honey Orange Wheat
    Oregasmic
    John John Dead Guy
    St Rogue Dry-Hopped Red
    Tracktown Brown
    #FHP
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    strilo wrote:
    They are a fucking fantastic brewery I discovered when I was in Kansas City for business. Who would have known beer that good would come from there??
    I felt the same way about Tampa, FL, until I tried Cigar City Brewing Company. Really good stuff.
    strilo wrote:
    The brewery that replaced Boulevard as my newest brewery obsession is Great Divide. I don't think I've had one beer from them that is not excellent.
    I've been very happy with the Great Divide stuff I've tried. See if you can get your hands on their Espresso Oak Aged Yeti or their 18th Anniversary Wood Aged DIPA. Holy shit.
    81 wrote:

9.8%

74 according to rate beer
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

9.8%

74 according to rate beer
    I'll have to see if I can find it. I like most everything that Lagunitas puts out. Lil sumpin sumpin is my go-to
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Horos wrote:
    Here's what we tried a couple of weeks ago:

Ninkasi Radiant Ale
    Belhaven Scottish Ale
    Trappistes Rochefort
    Widmer Kill Devil
    Black Bass Porter
    Buffalo Bills Orange Blossom
    7 Brides Lil Pils
    Bridgeport Dark Rain
    McTarnahans Summer Grifter IPA
    Pyramid Thunderhead

Last night we went the the Eugene City Brewery and sampled these selections from Rogue:

Dad's Black IPA
    Smoke
    Hazelnut Brown Nectar
    The Swarm
    Yellow Snow
    Old Crustacean Barleywine
    Morimoto Imperial Pilsner
    Shakespeare Stout
    Honey Orange Wheat
    Oregasmic
    John John Dead Guy
    St Rogue Dry-Hopped Red
    Tracktown Brown

Man, I wish I was allowed to try that many beers a week... I usually get a dirty look if I open just 1 on a weeknight... :nono: