The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Beer of the Day yesterday was the Victory HopDevil...after not liking the Golden Monkey much at all this was awesome....love the hoppy goodness...god I hope Victory brings their stuff to Mizzip just so I can indulge in this one at will.

My store has growler fills of Rogue Mom Hefeweizen and Lazy Magnolia Southern Hops'pitality which i'll be picking up tomorrow. Hopefully the newest edition of the Yazoo Hop Project (#65) will arrive today as well
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    Beer of the Day yesterday was the Victory HopDevil...after not liking the Golden Monkey much at all this was awesome....love the hoppy goodness...god I hope Victory brings their stuff to Mizzip just so I can indulge in this one at will.

My store has growler fills of Rogue Mom Hefeweizen and Lazy Magnolia Southern Hops'pitality which i'll be picking up tomorrow. Hopefully the newest edition of the Yazoo Hop Project (#65) will arrive today as well

Victory is a great brewery. You should try Hop Wallop too. I also love their pilsner and Golden Monkey (but I can see how others wouldn't).
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Victory is a great brewery. You should try Hop Wallop too. I also love their pilsner and Golden Monkey (but I can see how others wouldn't).
    The store in memphis had hop wallop as well but in the interest of getting as much variety as possible I went with HopDevil between the two. Hopefully i'll have a reason to get back to memphis before long.
    I know a lot goes into breweries opening up new distribution areas but i kinda feel like a kid waiting on Christmas waiting for announcements of what we will start getting this summer and the months to come. I would think that the breweries already available in neighboring states would be among the most likely to expand here but I'm guessing not all of them will....I can definitely say I hope for Stone and Victory even though Monkey wasn't my favorite...it was ok just a bit too much with the spices as I said.

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Sasquatch Brewfest tonight!!!
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    Sasquatch Brewfest tonight!!!
    Here's a list of what I sampled last night:

Boneyard Beer Hop Venom Double IPA 60 IBU, 9% ABV
    Bridgeport Brewing Kingpin 65 IBU, 7.5% ABV
    Double Mountain Brewery Das Boot Alt 43 IBU, 5.1% ABV
    Draper Brewing Draper IPA 70 IBU, 6% ABV
    Goodlife Brewing Co. Mountain Rescue Pale Ale 40 IBU, 5.5% ABV
    Hop Valley Brewing Co. Infinite Hoppiness 100 IBU, 9.3% ABV
    Lagunitas Brewing Co. Waldo's Special Ale 65 IBU, 8.5% ABV
    Ninkasi Brewing Co. Babylon English Style Double IPA 100 IBU, 9.1% ABV
    Pelican/Ninkasi Collaboration Danny's Black Gold 50 IBU, 10.5% ABV
    Rogue Ales Dad's Little Helper Black IPA 70 IBU, 7% ABV
    Sasquatch Brewing Co. Healu Heights Pale Ale 46 IBU, 5.5% ABV
    Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale 67 IBU, 6.7% ABV
    Southern Oregon Brewing Holy Water Maibock 30 IBU, 7.1% ABV
    Steelhead Brewery and Cafe Twisted Meniscus IPA 63 IBU, 7.3%
    Wakonda Brewing Co. 7 Devils IPA 85 IBU, 7.8% ABV
    Widmer Bros. Brewing Co. Smoke onthe Lager 25 IBU, 5% ABV

And lastly this was an anniversary brew by Ninkasi to honor the 10th year of the festival.

Saquatch Legacy 2012 Wheat Wine 80 IBU, 9% ABV

Usually they give us 4 oz glasses to sample from but being the 10th anniversary you were able to get a special pounder glass for $3 more and the larger glass resulted in larger pours. :D
    #FHP
    Also forgot tonight is our Sunday Syndicate meeting and I'll be sampling another dozen beers.

I have 2 to offer:
    Widmer Bros 2012 Imperial Raspberry Stout
    He'Brew Jewbelation
    #FHP
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,065

If you get a chance, try Victory's Prima Pils........fanastic!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    I went to a new craft beer specialty bar here in houston on friday... and it was beautiful...

Right as I walked in the front door I noticed that they sell growlers and 1/2 growlers for take out, and I was immediately in love.. this is the first place in Houston I've found that does that. I also met the curator of their belgan beer list, and a bunch of their staff... they had a TV on the NHL network (and there wasn't even a game on! - this is shocking to me, especially here in Houston), and dart boards... needless to say I'll be headed back soon...

Anyway recent tastings in the last weeks:

Draft:
    Victory Prima Pils
    512 IPA (Nitro)
    512 Pecan Porter (Cask - which gives it a completely different mouthfeel)
    Lazy Magnolia (who just recently got label approval in TX) Souther Pecan
    Karabach Rodeo Clown - Merlot barrel aged (as opposed to the regular)
    Sunner Kolsch

Bottles:
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum (fantastic)
    Sam Adams Baltic IPA

And when I was at the beer store yesterday I picked up a 4 pack of Palate Wrecker (can't wait to try in) and Full Sail ALT (limited release)...

it's been a pretty good week! :D
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Yesterday I had Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier, Kona Koko Brown and Anderson Valley Summer Solstice. Love all three of those beers.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    Friday evening I had the Abita Jockamo IPA...not super hoppy, good, but could've been a bit more hoppy for my taste
    Got those growler fills Saturday and had the Rogue Mom's Hefeweizen that evening...very unique flavor with the rose petals...thought it was pretty damned good
    Last night had the lazy magnolia Southern Hops'pitality, their first IPA...hopefully they'll bottle that one next year. Good and hoppy.

Still have a fridge full of new ones to try this week in honor of American Craft Beer Week

Also...they've announced the first slate of new beers we'll be getting down in Mizzip come July...
    Abita Andygator
    Abita Jockamo IPA
    Abita Save Our Shore
    Abita Abbey Ale
    SN Torpedo
    SN Bigfoot
    Leffe Blonde
    Redbrick Vanilla Gorilla
    Redbrick HopLanta
    Leinenkuegel's Big Eddy Russian Imp Stout as well as the Big Eddy Wee Heavy
    Sam Adams Infinium
    SA Imperial Stout
    SA Imperial White
    SA Imp Pilsner
    SA Wee Heavy
    Samuel Smith's Imp Stout
    Rochefort 8
    Orval Trappist
    Westmalle Tripel
    Spaten Optimator
    Rogue...double dead guy, double chocolate stout, imperial IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Morimoto Imperial Pilsner, John John Double Dead Guy
    Previously unavailable Yazoo Brews as well

Also Lazy Magnolia will be releasing Timber Beast (an imperial rye IPA at 8% or 10% depending on the website) on July 1, the day the law changes

Rogue beer is overrated. I feel like that brewery makes too many beers. They are Jack of all trades and master of none.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    so we had a bomber of Stone Ruination last night...wish we had had two...especially after idiot buddy spilled half of it...HIS HALF!...i'm an idiot for then sharing the rest. Man that was a delicious beer but oh so little of it.
    We followed it up with one of Yazoo's hop project beers, which are typically pretty damn, hoppy and it was like drinking dirty water as compared to Ruination

Also...they've announced the first slate of new beers we'll be getting down in Mizzip come July...
    Abita Andygator
    Abita Jockamo IPA
    Abita Save Our Shore
    Abita Abbey Ale
    SN Torpedo
    SN Bigfoot
    Leffe Blonde
    Redbrick Vanilla Gorilla
    Redbrick HopLanta
    Leinenkuegel's Big Eddy Russian Imp Stout as well as the Big Eddy Wee Heavy
    Sam Adams Infinium
    SA Imperial Stout
    SA Imperial White
    SA Imp Pilsner
    SA Wee Heavy
    Samuel Smith's Imp Stout
    Rochefort 8
    Orval Trappist
    Westmalle Tripel
    Spaten Optimator
    Rogue...double dead guy, double chocolate stout, imperial IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Morimoto Imperial Pilsner, John John Double Dead Guy
    Previously unavailable Yazoo Brews as well

Also Lazy Magnolia will be releasing Timber Beast (an imperial rye IPA at 8% or 10% depending on the website) on July 1, the day the law changes
    In addition to these, a fella has started www.msbeer.org and emailed various breweries about their possible expansion here....
    North Coast a definite yes
    Schlafy has "yet to make any final decisions"
    Founders said "we hope to make our way in your neck of the woods in the future."
    Green Flash plans to expand here in 2013

Several others responded that they don't have the capacity to open new markets now. Not surprising.
    The president of www.raiseyourpints.com said NOLA Brewing and Lagunitas sound promising as well

f045f7336be1__1337138743000.jpg?nocache=1337138705328
    Had one of these tonight. It's a nice smooth pale ale 7%.

Last night a couple of Hoptimums and a He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A with 'an obscene amount of malts and hops.' Very good and strong at 10%. Awesome labeling as well.

On Sunday I tasted a few:

Pyramid Outburst
    Widmer 2012 Raspberry Impeial Russian Stout
    Ayinger Ur-Weisse
    Wingwalker Belgian White
    Lagunitas Imperial Red
    Anderson Valley Imperial IPA
    plus a few other I've mentioned before.

A brewfest Saturday and then a home tasting Sunday.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    f045f7336be1__1337138743000.jpg?nocache=1337138705328
    Had one of these tonight. It's a nice smooth pale ale 7%.

Last night a couple of Hoptimums and a He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A with 'an obscene amount of malts and hops.' Very good and strong at 10%. Awesome labeling as well.

On Sunday I tasted a few:

Pyramid Outburst
    Widmer 2012 Raspberry Impeial Russian Stout
    Ayinger Ur-Weisse
    Wingwalker Belgian White
    Lagunitas Imperial Red
    Anderson Valley Imperial IPA
    plus a few other I've mentioned before.

A brewfest Saturday and then a home tasting Sunday.
    I'm hopeful we'll be getting the entire Widmer Bros lineup this summer since we already get a few of them.
    Also reading that Lagunitas sounds promising

We had Brother Thelonious last night in honor of news that North Coast is definitely coming. I was on the fence not sure if I liked it or didn't for a bit but as it warmed I very much enjoyed it. I certainly wouldn't buy it all the time but it would be a good one to have in the fridge to enjoy occasionally.

Not sure what we'll be trying tonight, but we've got a good run of a new beer every night going....started this streak on April 30....got at least nine more nights to go but hopefully we'll come up with more to extend it

I know you guys probably get tired of me rambling on about the Mizzip stuff...but its all exciting to me. So with that there will be a new brewery beginning production in late summer on the coast and there's another 30 minutes away from here that is currently working on getting up and going

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    had my first DFH 120 minute today.. delicious and strong! :D

i wish they sold more DFH around here :x
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    conman wrote:

Congrats! I still have 3 more 120s :D You should go check out their tavern sometime in Rehobeth!
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    I know you guys probably get tired of me rambling on about the Mizzip stuff...but its all exciting to me. So with that there will be a new brewery beginning production in late summer on the coast and there's another 30 minutes away from here that is currently working on getting up and going

I understand your frustration and excitement over the loosening up of the mississippi laws...

Texas has similarly frustrating laws (particularly when it comes to labelling) that prevent a lot of breweries from doing business here - especially for special one off or occansional brews...

The TABC hasn't let DFH bring another new beer into this state since the 120 IPA incident....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    conman wrote:

I haven't had the 120 yet, but i love the 90 minute. Both the bottle and draft versions are great. the 90 minute always puts me over the edge. I call it the Marino Rivera of beers.

(well before he was injured)
    I've liked everything I've had from Dogfish Head.
    shep wrote:

I understand your frustration and excitement over the loosening up of the mississippi laws...

Texas has similarly frustrating laws (particularly when it comes to labelling) that prevent a lot of breweries from doing business here - especially for special one off or occansional brews...

The TABC hasn't let DFH bring another new beer into this state since the 120 IPA incident....
    Yeah I knew TX also was kinda goofy....we kept wondering why so many of the beers we were drinking had on the bottle "Ale in Texas" and i looked it up....can't remember exactly what the explanation was though

So last night's Beer of the Day was Napa Smith's Bonfire imperial porter....it was exceptional and cheap...i'd pick up a few bombers if i had the chance

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    afroannnie wrote:
    conman wrote:

Congrats! I still have 3 more 120s :D You should go check out their tavern sometime in Rehobeth!
    The wife and I are planning on hitting up the brewpub next month. We're doing a road trip that will include Bonnaroo, Asheville, Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Raleigh and the DC area. We figured we may as well drive northeast a little further to check out Dogfish Head while we're in the area.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out a bit here....but I recently saw that Sam Adams will be releasing a Fat Jack Double Pumpkin as part of its single batch series...it certainly won't be available to me here but if someone who will have access to it could ship a couple of bottles to me it would be very much appreciated. I of course would like to try the beer but a co-worker of my mom use to call their obnoxious, rather large boss Fat Jack...i mentioned it to my mom and she said I had to find a bottle so she could give it to her friend. I guessing this may not come out until the fall though

Yeah I knew TX also was kinda goofy....we kept wondering why so many of the beers we were drinking had on the bottle "Ale in Texas" and i looked it up....can't remember exactly what the explanation was though

So last night's Beer of the Day was Napa Smith's Bonfire imperial porter....it was exceptional and cheap...i'd pick up a few bombers if i had the chance

Yea, there's specific labelling laws in TX that state if your beer is above a certain ABV you have to label it as an "Ale"... it's fucking stupid. There was an article in BA magazine a couple of months back about how Jester King is taking the state to court over some of it's assinine labelling laws... Never heard how they made out...

On the plus side of things, there is more brewies popping up in Texas on a weekly basis... so while getting stuff from out of the state can be difficult, there is an always increasing variety within the state... so my pallate has yet to become bored...
    shep wrote:

Yea, there's specific labelling laws in TX that state if your beer is above a certain ABV you have to label it as an "Ale"... it's fucking stupid. There was an article in BA magazine a couple of months back about how Jester King is taking the state to court over some of it's assinine labelling laws... Never heard how they made out...

On the plus side of things, there is more brewies popping up in Texas on a weekly basis... so while getting stuff from out of the state can be difficult, there is an always increasing variety within the state... so my pallate has yet to become bored...
    Yeah I remembered it was damn stupid. I swear I don't understand the vilification of beer. So Mizzip has held onto post-prohibition laws regarding ABV until now but any dumbass 21 yo can go to the liquor store and by Everclear?!?! But somehow beer with an ABV of over 6.2% is more dangerous and detrimental that hard liquor? Idiocy....kind of been keeping up with the gourmet bottle bill that just passed in Alabama (somehow a 22oz bottle is much worse than a 160z bottle) and some of the debate on it was ludicrous. Not to mention the debate on homebrewing.....i mean some of the Reps had "everyone making whiskey" and teaching their young children how to brew....

And yeah I'm glad we are going to have three production breweries in the state within the next year, hopefully even more will begin popping up but Lazy Magnolia has already announced their Back Porch Series that will feature various high gravity brews beginning July 1 (the day the law changes) with Timber Beast

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    afroannnie wrote:
    conman wrote:

my sister was saying that we should plan a weekend trip some time this summer.. i hope it doesn't fall through
    adam42381 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    conman wrote:

The wife and I are planning on hitting up the brewpub next month. We're doing a road trip that will include Bonnaroo, Asheville, Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Raleigh and the DC area. We figured we may as well drive northeast a little further to check out Dogfish Head while we're in the area.

sounds like a good plan...I use to live on the eastern shore of MD, so I've been to the tavern quite a bit and usually stop up there with my fam when we go on vacation...the tavern is nice and has decent food. Plus my mom & I always have to visit the rainbow bookstore while we're in rehobeth...i believe she got some nice playing cards there last time... :lol:
    conman wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    conman wrote:

my sister was saying that we should plan a weekend trip some time this summer.. i hope it doesn't fall through

You definitely should...it's pretty busy in the summer, since that's tourist time...but you should still be able to get in there...good beer at the beach...always a good thing :D