The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Picked up a couple bottles of Pliny the Elder during a recent trip to Napa. Had it at their pub while I was out there as well. Thought it was quite delicious out of the tap, but was very disappointed when I cracked open one of my bottles last weekend. After what I experienced at the brewer pub and all the hype around the beer, I was expecting way, way more. At one point, PtE was considered by many to be the best beer in the world and has a perfect 100 rating on beeradvocate.com. Didn't get that impression at all, out of the bottle. :(
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    MotoDC wrote:
    Picked up a couple bottles of Pliny the Elder during a recent trip to Napa. Had it at their pub while I was out there as well. Thought it was quite delicious out of the tap, but was very disappointed when I cracked open one of my bottles last weekend. After what I experienced at the brewer pub and all the hype around the beer, I was expecting way, way more. At one point, PtE was considered by many to be the best beer in the world and has a perfect 100 rating on beeradvocate.com. Didn't get that impression at all, out of the bottle. :(

Thanks for killing my excitement! :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:

Haha, trust me, no one was more disappointed than I was. My palette seems to be very fickle and inconsistent, so I'm hoping I either caught my tongue on a bad day or just got a bad bottle, idk. Honestly I think I also tend to serve beer too cold, since I use my regular fridge as my beer fridge. I've started keeping a journal of sorts of my beer experiences and I'm noticing a trend where I start finding many more flavors in a beer after it's been out in the glass a bit longer. I attribute that to its warming up, but I suppose it could be from some of the carbonation bubbling off (one less thing to confuse my palette :lol: ).
    MotoDC wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:

Haha, trust me, no one was more disappointed than I was. My palette seems to be very fickle and inconsistent, so I'm hoping I either caught my tongue on a bad day or just got a bad bottle, idk. Honestly I think I also tend to serve beer too cold, since I use my regular fridge as my beer fridge. I've started keeping a journal of sorts of my beer experiences and I'm noticing a trend where I start finding many more flavors in a beer after it's been out in the glass a bit longer. I attribute that to its warming up, but I suppose it could be from some of the carbonation bubbling off (one less thing to confuse my palette :lol: ).

The colder a beer, the less flavor. This is why Coors Light must be served "Rocky Mountain Cold" :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

The colder a beer, the less flavor. This is why Coors Light must be served "Rocky Mountain Cold" :lol:[/quote]
    Guess it's time to convince the better half that it's time the fridge doorshelves (which are generally warmer than the rest of the fridge) got converted to beer duty! :lol:

I'm only half kidding there, but I do realize the coldness masks some of the flavor. That said, there is a range of acceptable serving temps and it varies by beer type. Aren't IPAs on the colder end of the suggested serving temp, while RIS's and the like are on the warmer end?
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Tried some Three Floyds RYE’D DA LIGHTNING rye pale ale at Bottom Lounge last weekend, it was quite tasty!

Anyone get any Dark Lord?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Tried some Three Floyds RYE’D DA LIGHTNING rye pale ale at Bottom Lounge last weekend, it was quite tasty!

At some point I am going to have to attend Dark Lord Days....I would love to try it!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    Mamasan23 wrote:

At some point I am going to have to attend Dark Lord Days....I would love to try it!

I know!! It's my holy grail!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Oskar blues is now opening a brewery in North Carolina.
    In the past 3 months Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, and Oskar Blues have all made announcements to build there.

Fantastic news for fresher beer lovers
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,065
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I know!! It's my holy grail!

I've attended Dark Lord Day 2006-2010. Good times! A little crazy, but I was able to try many rare and delicious beers. As for Dark Lord the beer, it's a monster of a stout, kinda boozy, very sweet. One bottle must be shared with a few friends.

Mamasan23, you've never had Dark Lord?????
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,065
    intodeep wrote:
    Oskar blues is now opening a brewery in North Carolina.
    In the past 3 months Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, and Oskar Blues have all made announcements to build there.

Fantastic news for fresher beer lovers

Awesome news!!! I'm really looking forward to my annual Thanksgiving trip to Raleigh.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit

I've attended Dark Lord Day 2006-2010. Good times! A little crazy, but I was able to try many rare and delicious beers. As for Dark Lord the beer, it's a monster of a stout, kinda boozy, very sweet. One bottle must be shared with a few friends.

Mamasan23, you've never had Dark Lord?????

I am SO jealous. Every year I want to go but something always comes up. It sounds amazing - I like my beer as dark as possible and this seems to be exactly what I'm looking for!

My friends are way too stingy with their allotment of 4 bottles! But I probably would be too :lol:
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    So I've been working at a new job for the past 6 months. I try to bring my lunch as much as possible but today I ran out to different shopping center for the 1st time. As I'm walking toward the grocery store I see a beer store out of the corner of my eye. Then I realize it has the word CRAFT above beer store :shock: :shock: :shock: I was finally able to grab me some Hopitmum :clap::clap:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    So I've been working at a new job for the past 6 months. I try to bring my lunch as much as possible but today I ran out to different shopping center for the 1st time. As I'm walking toward the grocery store I see a beer store out of the corner of my eye. Then I realize it has the word CRAFT above beer store :shock: :shock: :shock: I was finally able to grab me some Hopitmum :clap::clap:

Let us know what you think!
    severed hand thirteen
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Headdy-Topper>Hoptimum
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Memphis Tuesday night for Social Distortion...Wednesday morning visited the beer store and made a nice haul
    Probably can't remember all of them off the top of my head...

Old Rasputin
    Brother Thelonius
    Bigfoot Barleywine
    Torpedo
    Ruthless Rye
    Stone Ruination
    Cali-Belgique
    Anchor Old Foghorn
    RJ Rocker Bell Ringer and Rockhopper
    Abita Jockamo
    Laughing Dog Dogfather (had to have that one just for the bottle if nothing else)
    Rogue Double Chocolate Stout
    well...that's 12 of them anyways...we can try a different beer every night for the next 3 weeks though.
    I was somewhat disappointed to learn that Dogfish Head pulled out of Tennessee about a year ago. I was planning on snagging several of theirs
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Memphis Tuesday night for Social Distortion...Wednesday morning visited the beer store and made a nice haul

Old Rasputin
    Brother Thelonius
    Bigfoot Barleywine
    Torpedo
    Ruthless Rye
    Stone Ruination
    Cali-Belgique
    Anchor Old Foghorn
    Abita Jockamo
    Laughing Dog Dogfather (had to have that one just for the bottle if nothing else)
    well...that's 12 of them anyways...we can try a different beer every night for the next 3 weeks though.
    I was somewhat disappointed to learn that Dogfish Head pulled out of Tennessee about a year ago. I was planning on snagging several of theirs
    That Stone Cali-Belgique is good stuff. Not real hoppy but nice and smooth.

We had Brother Thelonious at our Sunday Syndicate meeting this week. I found it for $3 in a discount cart at the grocery store. It's the lowest rated beer we've had yet, no one even wanted to finish it.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:

Old Rasputin
    Brother Thelonius
    Bigfoot Barleywine
    Torpedo
    Ruthless Rye
    Stone Ruination
    Cali-Belgique
    Anchor Old Foghorn
    Abita Jockamo
    That Stone Cali-Belgique is good stuff. Not real hoppy but nice and smooth.

We had Brother Thelonious at our Sunday Syndicate meeting this week. I found it for $3 in a discount cart at the grocery store. It's the lowest rated beer we've had yet, no one even wanted to finish it.
    :lol: Well i guess there's probably at least one stinker in the bunch...that's to be expected though I guess.

There was also
    Victory Hop Devil and Golden Monkey
    Fat Tire (which I had indulged in quite a bit Tuesday evening)
    Napa Smith Bonfire
    La Fin Du Monde
    Mendocino Imperial IPA
    La Trappe Quad
    Rare Vos
    Me thinks that gets all of them. I'm like a blushing junior high boy seeing a playboy magazine for the first time when I get around that much beer I haven't had :lol:

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    You may very well like it. Seems like beer tastes really vary with the large varieties of flavors to try. Quite the haul you got there. Enjoy! :D
    #FHP

Old Rasputin
    Brother Thelonius
    Bigfoot Barleywine
    Torpedo
    Ruthless Rye
    Stone Ruination
    Cali-Belgique
    Anchor Old Foghorn
    Abita Jockamo

Nice haul. I'd plan on splitting the Rogue Double Chocolate with someone. It is damn tasty, but sweet. There is no way I could have finished it by myself. I really like the Ruthless Rye and Ruination as well. I think you'll enjoy the brews you picked up from Victory, too bad you weren't able to grab a bottle of Storm King.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    I came into work this morning, and a buddy picked me up a bottle of Goose Island Juliet! Nice surprise to start the day!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    Was at one of my local's last night, and I was surprised to see a couple of newbies on tap:

512 - ALT
    Live Oak - Big Bark Amber Lager
    Live Oak - Schwarzbier

Apparently the place is getting into the Austin beer scene :lol:

Both the ALT and Big Bark were ambers and were great... been a while since I've had any ambers, and I've forgotten ow easy drinking and enjoyable they can be when done right... will definitely have another glass soon... It's funny that when I see 512 places, most bars have the pecan porter (which is great) and IPA... this place being patio-orientated, I guess they stock the easier drinking stuff...

That was my first schwarzbier... not crazy about it... I'd prefer a porter or a stout....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    Been a while since I've posted a list. For 4-5 months I've rarely drank the same thing twice. Getting addicted to craft brews and it's putting a dent in my wallet.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum (had 3 or 4 and really like it)
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale
    Sierra Nebada Summerfest
    Upright Brewing Four
    Brother Thelonious
    New Belgium Triple
    New Belgium Belgo
    New Belgium/Elysian Trip Farmouse
    Full Sail ALT
    DFH Aprihop
    Moylan'sHopsickle
    Cascade Lakes Project X NWPA
    Terminal Gravity/Double Mountain Gravity Mountain Collaboration IPA
    Bridgeport Hop Harvest
    Avery Brewing White Rascal
    Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA
    Boulevard Double-Wide IPA
    Caldera Hop-Hash
    Left Coast Hopjuice
    Left Coast Asylum Triple
    Rogue Portland State IPA
    Kona Koko Brown

Sitting on a Widmer 2012 Raspberry Imperial Stout and Shmaltz Funky Jewbelation for my next meeting.
    #FHP
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Hoptimum is delicious. I'm not saying it's the best I've had but it's up there. I don't know if it's me or not, but when I opened the bottle I thought it smelled like weed. :o
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Hoptimum is delicious. I'm not saying it's the best I've had but it's up there. I don't know if it's me or not, but when I opened the bottle I thought it smelled like weed. :o
    Those hoppy DIPAs often have a dank quality to their nose. Dankity-dank! Nice job picking it out! :mrgreen:
    JK_Livin wrote:

The West Coast IPAs tend to do that. Some purposefully try for that effect.
    severed hand thirteen
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    2 Guinness Extra Stout
    2 Ithaca Apricot Wheat

Nice little Wednesday
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925

Old Rasputin
    Brother Thelonius
    Bigfoot Barleywine
    Torpedo
    Ruthless Rye
    Stone Ruination
    Cali-Belgique
    Anchor Old Foghorn
    Abita Jockamo

Nice haul. I'd plan on splitting the Rogue Double Chocolate with someone. It is damn tasty, but sweet. There is no way I could have finished it by myself. I really like the Ruthless Rye and Ruination as well. I think you'll enjoy the brews you picked up from Victory, too bad you weren't able to grab a bottle of Storm King.
    Sadly that's the rule I must abide by....my buddy (cousin actually) and I share evenly whatever we purchase and we had set aside around $250 for that trip. We usually drink four and keep two.

We've had the Bigfoot Ale..first barleywine for either of us...and we loved it
    Hopefully soon we'll be getting torpedo around here regularly since law is changing but we had it and threw the drink four rule out and finished them off....very good
    I wasn't wild about the Golden Monkey...the spiciness was a bit much I thought
    The Dogfather was very disappointing.
    Absolutely loved the RJ Rockers Bell Ringer...I highly recommend it if you can find it. The Rockhopper was pretty damned good IPA.
    Last night we had the La Trappe Quad....very good
    But the gem of the haul has so far been Old Rasputin...hands down...fantastic...it has been very hard for me to have them in the fridge and to not finish the other two off while he's not around :lol:

We're doing a beer a day but I'll be swinging by my store on saturday for some more treats so we're gonna see how long we can keep this beer a day thing going...at least two more weeks for sure :D

Sadly that's the rule I must abide by....my buddy (cousin actually) and I share evenly whatever we purchase and we had set aside around $250 for that trip. We usually drink four and keep two.

We've had the Bigfoot Ale..first barleywine for either of us...and we loved it
    Hopefully soon we'll be getting torpedo around here regularly since law is changing but we had it and threw the drink four rule out and finished them off....very good
    I wasn't wild about the Golden Monkey...the spiciness was a bit much I thought
    The Dogfather was very disappointing.
    Absolutely loved the RJ Rockers Bell Ringer...I highly recommend it if you can find it. The Rockhopper was pretty damned good IPA.
    Last night we had the La Trappe Quad....very good
    But the gem of the haul has so far been Old Rasputin...hands down...fantastic...it has been very hard for me to have them in the fridge and to not finish the other two off while he's not around :lol:

We're doing a beer a day but I'll be swinging by my store on saturday for some more treats so we're gonna see how long we can keep this beer a day thing going...at least two more weeks for sure :D
    Bigfoot was my first BW as well and I've been obsessed with them every since. Much love for Old Rasputin as well. If you enjoy those two, I would highly recommend getting your hands on some barrel-aged action. Old Rasputin releases theirs once a year (I think), each year incremented up one roman numeral. I tried XIV this year and was instantly in love. I haven't many barrel-aged barleywines, but Weyerbacher's Insanity is...insane. So much banana bread, toasted marshmellow, woody goodness. Slightly sweet for a barleywine but it's mostly flavor rather than cloying and the bourbon burn at the end cuts it nicely.

Ugh, talking about it is making it VERY hard not to head to the kitchen...how many hours 'til 5pm again??? :cry:
    I'm anxious to try the Old Foghorn as well after enjoying Bigfoot so much. Hopefully we'll be getting more and more stuff throughout the year as the state ABV increases to 10.2% July 1. Since Tennessee, Louisiana and Alabama all get lots of stuff we currently can't here I'm expecting new breweries to be added regularly in the months to come....at least I hope so. The good thing is that we should immediately begin receiving the higher ABV selections from the breweries that already distribute here...Sierra Nevada being one

I live close enough to my home that I go home for lunch and some days...like today...it's hard for me to open the fridge at lunch and not grab one or two or three...I'm with you.