The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• shepshep Posts: 5,764
    Man... a week in Mexico and all I saw was either Tecate, Dos XX, Tecate light, Coors light (i know right?), an some crappy beer that started with a "C" that they put two of in my room fridge each day...

needless to say, I moved into the liquor pretty quick during my vacay... can't wait to sit down tonight and have a couple of the real beers in my fridge... gonna start it off with some DIPA and overload the senses... :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • intodeep wrote:
    I'm not really sure how widespread the distribution is or even where all Yazoo Brewing from Nashville gets to, but they have a "hop project" series where every 6-8 weeks or so they release a different hopped up beer, changing the recipe each time, sometimes quite drastically from one to the other. I was kind of late to the party but I've now had each batch from 55 to 64...really good stuff usually as have been most all of Yazoo's brews I've tried.
    Just had #64 last night...man I love beer.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
    I have not seen those around but i'll keep an eye out. thanks for the heads up
    Yeah do that because I think they're doing some good work with it.
    The labels are the same on each batch...my store always writes the number on the box...

hopproject-big.png
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    hmmm...

what sounds good for tonight.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • keelycankeelycan Posts: 409
    Tonight
    Two Brothers Red Eye Coffe Porter
    Port Brewing Old Viscosity
    Mikkller/Brewdog Devine Rebel
    Dark Horse Plead The 5th

Shared and drank while listening to Chris Cornell Songbook Vinyl Wooohoooo

Anyone going to dark Lord Day at Three floyds this month? I'll have my EV Uke truck hat on so dont be shy and make sure you say Hellloooo!
    Soldier Field 1995~Alpine Valley June I,II 1998~ United Center 2003~Alpine Valley 2003~Madison Square Garden I,II 2003~Toledo VFC 2004~Montreal 2005~Ottowa 2005~United Center I,II 2006~Cincinnati 2006~Summerfest I,II 2006~The Vic Theatre 2007~Lollapalooza 2007~Bonnaroo 2008~United Center I,II 2009~EV Chicago I,II 2008~Austin City Limits 2009~EV Chicago I,II 2011~Alpine Valley Sep 03,04 2011~Wrigley Field 2013~Seattle 2013
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Our Sunday Syndicate took a road trip to Hop Valley Brewing this week. Tried all 10 beers they had on tap. Really enjoyed the Alpha Centuri DIPA myself. The Hef got the highest votes by the whole group though.
    #FHP
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,988
    edited April 2012
    I am so jealous of you guys...

All of the folks I work with are just fawning over Bud Platinum! And there are so few options to good craft beer around here. (I'm about 7 hours from Colorado, 2 hours from Salt Lake City -- SLC beer stores have a small sampling)

Good thing I have a contact, that I have only ever spoken to, that works at Supermarket Liquors in Ft Collins, CO who is kind enough to hold onto and set aside a beer box for me. I had him hold a few bottles of Faithful last year until I had family pick it up. He held onto it for a MONTH!

I have a co-worker headed to Ft Collins to visit his family, so I made a call to the store, and the guy remembered me and was awesome enough to put together a box of DogFish Head, Russian River, and Odells.

Will be getting Aprihops, Red and White, Chicory Stout, and a few others from DFH; Damnation and Supplication from RR, and one that starts with an 'S' from Odell! :oops:

Happy bastard here in a week or so!
    Post edited by Given to... on
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I am so jealous of you guys...

All of the folks I work with are just fawning over Bud Platinum! And there are so few options to good craft beer around here.

Good thing I have a contact, that I have only ever spoken to, that works at Supermarket Liquors in Ft Collins, CO who is kind enough to hold onto and set aside a beer box for me. I had him hold a few bottles of Faithful last year until I had family pick it up. He held onto it for a MONTH!

I have a co-worker headed to Ft Collins to visit his family, so I made a call to the store, and the guy remembered me and was awesome enough to put together a box of DogFish Head, Russian River, and Odells.

Will be getting Aprihops, Red and White, Chicory Stout, and a few others from DFH; Damnation and Supplication from RR, and one that starts with an 'S' from Odell! :oops:

Happy bastard here in a week or so!

that's cool of him.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I had two great beers this weekend
    Ninjasi's Tricerahops Double IPA which was a very good DIPA
    and
    Founders Backwoods Bastard- Might be one of my new favs. Can't wait for it to come out again in November.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Can't wait to get into a growler of this after work today....

Southern%20Gentelman_large.png

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    Can't wait to get into a growler of this after work today....

Looks interesting...

I recently had a couple of glasses of 512 Pecan Porter that was delicious... Pecan's are a great ingrediant in beer!
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I picked up the following yesterday:

Ommegang B.D.S.
    O'Fallon B.D.S.
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
    Oskar Blue's Deviant Dale
    Six Point Resin
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149

Ommegang B.D.S.
    O'Fallon B.D.S.
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
    Six Point Resin

Hoptimum is intense and fantastic. I'm a hophead and this ranks very high for me.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
    I still like torpedo better than hoptimum i must be weird

I liked Deviant Dale. Only had it in the can have not done on draft yet. A spicy ipa if there is sucha thing
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22

I had lazy magnolia's pecan brown and was very disapointed. I think i bitched about that a few pages back so i won't do it again. but i'm willing to try the above it sounds good
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:

I had lazy magnolia's pecan brown and was very disapointed. I think i bitched about that a few pages back so i won't do it again. but i'm willing to try the above it sounds good
    :lol: Yeah I'm pretty sure you noted your dislike of southern pecan before but no worries of course. I do drink it fairly frequently and enjoy it though sometimes it has an offputting alcohol sting to it or something. Sometimes its just different that when I truly enjoy it.
    I am really looking forward to see how the bourbon barrels will enhance the taste. DAmn shame I've got to share it with my drinking buddy though :lol:
    LM was actually selling bourbon barrels for $100 a few weeks back..i shoulda picked up one of them bad boys. Of course that's a 3-hour drive from here

• Just polished off the growler of southern gentleman and we both thought it was much better than the regular southern pecan. Wish we had gotten two fills cuz I could use a good drunkfest tonight.

However I am now enjoying a shiner black lager which to me is their best offering I've had

Had Terrapin's 10th Anaversary beer last night
    Yum. A little sweet but a nice belgium flavor Would do it again.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Had a Karabach Rodeo Clown last night - It's a DIPA clocked in at 9.5% ABV.

Not really sure how I feel about it, will have another can tonight to decide.

The balance was right when it was cold - as it warmed up the 9.5 ABV became really the dominating factor and it become less and less drinkable.

Not a citrusy DIPA, more medicinal smells/flavors than anything else... we'll see how a second can goes down tonight...

Also in the fridge for this evening:

New Belgium Shift
    Jester King Noble King Hoppy Farmhouse Ale

and there's a couple of shiners in reserve in case I feel like really tying one on ;)
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Ommegang B.D.S.
    O'Fallon B.D.S.
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
    Six Point Resin

Hoptimum is intense and fantastic. I'm a hophead and this ranks very high for me.

I think this year's Hoptimum is much more bitter than last year's. Still a tasty brew. I'll enjoy it throughout the summer. Not going to burn a 4 pack of this all at once!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    intodeep wrote:

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
    I still like torpedo better than hoptimum i must be weird

I liked Deviant Dale. Only had it in the can have not done on draft yet. A spicy ipa if there is sucha thing

It's going to take me a while to work through this 4 pack. It is intense and complex. Starts off with a lot of grapefruit, and when the finish hits it's like chewing a hop cone. Spicy might be an appropriate description.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Ommegang B.D.S.
    O'Fallon B.D.S.
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
    Six Point Resin

I think this year's Hoptimum is much more bitter than last year's. Still a tasty brew. I'll enjoy it throughout the summer. Not going to burn a 4 pack of this all at once!
    Randomly happened upon a case of Hoptimum at the randomest of beer markets in my local area. Picked up a 4pack -- can't wait to try it this weekend (traveling for work this week so I'm away from my stash :cry: ). Can't believe the gravity on this thing; I like a good alcohol heat but I'm hoping the hops come through it, which by all accounts, they should. Some folks are saying this should have a "hop-heads only" warning label. :P
    I don't think Hoptimum should come with a warning, though it is HOPPY. It is quite enjoyable, and I think the freshness of the hops definitely comes through.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    A new beer enthusiest bar opened near my house in Houston...

http://www.haymerchant.com/

I used to live right around the corner from the place in an apartment complex, but we bought a house and moved in the fall... someone sent me a link to take a look and it caught me by surprise as there was just an abandoned building in it's place when I moved 6 months ago...

I am super excited to check this place out the weekend... looks right up my alley... and whoever is overseeing there beer list is clearly very into beer... it looks awesome...
  • LG_PJLG_PJ Posts: 53
    New to trying craft beer, so with that being said, Yardhouse just opened and I am wanting to try new beers. Any recommendations?
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I don't think Hoptimum should come with a warning, though it is HOPPY. It is quite enjoyable, and I think the freshness of the hops definitely comes through.
    Finally tried some last night. Really enjoyed it.

Others of had this last week:

Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA
    Left Coast Hop Juice
    Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA
    Stone Cali-Belgie IPA
    Boulevard Double-Wide IPA
    Bolder Beer Co. Killer Penguin Barleywine
    Dogfish Head Aprihop
    Tripel Karmeliet
    #FHP
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149

I had some other hoppy beers after Hoptimum and they tasted sort of bland. This stuff is heaven :D.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    I tried Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co., now that is a beer that should come with a warning!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Has anyone tried this?
    sahtea.JPG

I got a bottle last week, but I haven't tried it yet....
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    made a trip to the beer store last night, and found out that Lazy Magnolia now has label approval in Texas!

Was very excited when I found Hoptimum in the store as well... picked up a 4-pack of those and a 1/2 sack of Lazy Magnolia Deep South.

Drank pretty much all the Deep South last night... it's a very nice, easy drinking beer...

had my first Southern Star Bombshell Blonde when I was out... also very nice...

I think I'm going to try the Hoptimum tonight... After all the reviews around here, it better be delicious!
    Had a bottle of the Hoptimum last night... great beer. Definitely lived up to the hype... Maybe I should buy another 4 pack before they all dissappear....