The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Do you mean to imply that beer drinking can cause gout?!? :o
    Me thinks I'm in trouble

Had the Alaskan Amber last night...pretty damn good...i'd drink it a lot i think if I could readily get it
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Did everybody stop drinking? Page 5?

This week had... After alaskan

Kona fire rock...quite good.

Moose drool...holy shit that's good.

Sublimely self righteous...maybe the best I've had

Tonight...rogue dirtoir black lager. I'd put this shit in my corn flakes. Wish I had gotten two growlers

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Did everybody stop drinking? Page 5?

This week had... After alaskan

Kona fire rock...quite good.

Moose drool...holy shit that's good.

Sublimely self righteous...maybe the best I've had

Tonight...rogue dirtoir black lager. I'd put this shit in my corn flakes. Wish I had gotten two growlers
    Actually did for half the week, had the flu.

Drank a couple of 90 min IPAs last night.

Had a Ninkasi Commonwealth the night before. It's a multi-grain 5% that seems designed for the non-craft brew fan. Good flavor for it's lightness.

I've tried those that you've had this week some good selections in there.
    #FHP
  • Flu sucks. I had a bout a couple weeks ago. The rogue black was really fantastic. Got a cool rogue growwwler along with it. Which was cool because I've had labs all my life. Nice item for the collection

I look forward to hopefully getting tons of great stuff here by end of summer since abv goes up July 1. Heading to Memphis may 1...now to see social distortion instead of Ed...but I will return with a major haul on that trip.
    So any suggestions on must-haves to look for will be duly considered

• Had the new tallgrass 8-bit pale ale and it was another tasty one. This brewery is one of my favorites and their buffalo sweat milk stout is one of my favorites. 8-bit also has cool atari-like graphics on the can.

Looks like I'll be giving shiner black lager a try tonight

• It's official....the governor signed the so-called gourment beer bill this morning....10%+ beers on the way to Mizzip July 1 :D Today is a good day...but now the waiting will be the hardest part

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    It's official....the governor signed the so-called gourment beer bill this morning....10%+ beers on the way to Mizzip July 1 :D Today is a good day...but now the waiting will be the hardest part
    That's good news for you guys. I know it's been a long time coming.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    As the NCAA tourney winds down a few buddies and I decided to have a lil beer tournament. We've selected 32 different beers and we're going to blind taste them bracket style until we finally have a clear cut winner. Not all of these are craft beers but this should be fun. We tried to be as diverse as possible. Here's what we picked up:
    Ipswitch IPA
    Terrapin Hop Karma Brown
    CIgar City Jai Alai
    Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin
    Lagunitas Cappaccino Stout
    Thomas Creek Up the Creek
    FCB Chocolate Stout
    Weyerbacher Old Heathen IMperial Stout
    Great Divide Wild Rasberry
    Sea Dog Rasberry
    BUffalo Bills Orange Blossom Cream Ale
    Rogue Mocha Porter
    Unibroue Don De Dieu
    Great Divide Hades Belgian Ale
    Winterbruan
    Smuttynose Star Island
    Peak Organic Simco Spring Ale
    Magic Hat Vinyl Spring Seasonal
    Dog Fish Head Tweason Ale
    Monty Python's Holy Ail
    Widmer Brothers Drifter Pale Ale
    Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown
    Spaten Dunkel
    Sierra NEvada Pale Ale
    Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot
    Billy's Chilies Ale (some sort of hot chili beer) :?
    Dog Fish Head Raison D'Etre
    Native Lager
    Lion IMperial PIlsner
    Mammas Little Yella Pils
    Primator Double Bock
    Lagunitas Maximus
    Did you get a winner? I predict Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'.
    It's official....the governor signed the so-called gourment beer bill this morning....10%+ beers on the way to Mizzip July 1 :D Today is a good day...but now the waiting will be the hardest part
    That's good news for you guys. I know it's been a long time coming.
    Thanks man. It certainly has. Now the distributors better get to work (or maybe they already have been) on getting deals worked out. Hopefully we can get an influx of new stuff right off the bat when it goes into effect.
    Of course the ones that already supply Mizzip should be able to bring the higher content stuff right away with no issues or hold ups....that alone will bring a ton of new ones to the market

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Just opened a bottle of Noble Rot. Good stuff. I dig it. Different
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Just opened a bottle of Noble Rot. Good stuff. I dig it. Different

I got a bottle awhile ago, but i still need to try it.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Hey People of Michigan - It's almost time for Oberon! Is anybody willing to try shipping me a six pack or case? (I can't get it here in Washington) Shoot me a PM...
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    Hey People of Michigan - It's almost time for Oberon! Is anybody willing to try shipping me a six pack or case? (I can't get it here in Washington) Shoot me a PM...

If no one else can help you out with that, I could probably get you one of the new 12 packs.

I went to a Bell's tap takeover not too long ago. The Black Note Stout was sold out within 9 minutes, but I got a glass. 11.5% ABV party in my pants. Also tried The Oracle, Sweet Potato Stout, and a few others.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • MFCarissa wrote:

If no one else can help you out with that, I could probably get you one of the new 12 packs.

I went to a Bell's tap takeover not too long ago. The Black Note Stout was sold out within 9 minutes, but I got a glass. 11.5% ABV party in my pants. Also tried The Oracle, Sweet Potato Stout, and a few others.

That would be awesome. You can email me - 1inhiding at gmail dot com
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    I just realized there was a whole whiskey-infused, barrel-aged world out there that I had yet to tap (no pun intended) into. In that spirit, I obtained 3 things recently:

Weyerbacher's Insanity, a BA barleywine
    Old Rasputin XIV, a BA stout
    Brewdog's Paradox Smokehead (batch 015), another BA stout

The first two blew me away. I'm less excited about Paradox, since most reviews comment excessively on the smokey character and that's not the first flavor I look for in a beer. I'm just hoping it's not like the 4-pack of DFH's Immortale that I picked up a few months ago and decided to lay down for a while.

Yes, this is my first dip into barrel-aging for beer, but man I am hooked. Old Rasputin is complex and more bitter than sweet, which surprised and happified me. Maybe that's just the nature of barrel-aged stouts?
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    They are having concerts at Ommegang now?!

CAKE, Wilco and Hootie announced so far
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925

I saw The Felice Brothers there two summers ago. One of the best days/nights ever. Got up there, set up the campsite and began boozing. There were a bunch of smaller bands that were pretty horrible but we just hung out in the field drinking Hennepin. Felice Brothers played in the evening then they had a bon fire all night. Disaster of a drive back to Philly the next day.
    Ugh, Hennepin in the sun. Thats too much for me. I had a bad experience with that stuff. Witte would be the way to go for me in that spot.

I had no idea they were doing those concerts all along. So you can just camp on the brewery grounds? Might need to take a drive up this year.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Ugh, Hennepin in the sun. Thats too much for me. I had a bad experience with that stuff. Witte would be the way to go for me in that spot.

I had no idea they were doing those concerts all along. So you can just camp on the brewery grounds? Might need to take a drive up this year.

Yeah, it was probably too much for me and probably not the greatest idea I have ever had for a full day of drinking but I had a blast. Hung out with the band and all after. Good times.

Yeah, camping is a couple bucks extra and you have the option when you buy your tickets, I think. Well worth it, well worth it. Such a great time.
  • VartVart Posts: 291
    For you Dogfish fans in the Albany area they will be doing a takeover at the Lionheart this Thursday. It looks like they will have Faithfull Ale on tap. Since this is probably the only time I'll get a chance to taste it I might have to stop by. Hopefully it won't be too mobbed. Here's an article with details:

http://blog.timesunion.com/tablehopping ... lionheart/
    PJ: 8/27/00 4/29/03 9/15/05 5/12/06 6/28/08 6/30/08 8/21/09 5/15/10 5/21/10 9/11/11 9/12/11 9/14/11 10/25/13 10/27/13 10/29/13 10/30/13 8/5/16 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18
    EV: 8/09/08 8/10/08 6/08/09 6/09/09 6/18/11
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    MotoDC wrote:
    I just realized there was a whole whiskey-infused, barrel-aged world out there that I had yet to tap (no pun intended) into. In that spirit, I obtained 3 things recently:

Weyerbacher's Insanity, a BA barleywine
    Old Rasputin XIV, a BA stout
    Brewdog's Paradox Smokehead (batch 015), another BA stout

The first two blew me away. I'm less excited about Paradox, since most reviews comment excessively on the smokey character and that's not the first flavor I look for in a beer. I'm just hoping it's not like the 4-pack of DFH's Immortale that I picked up a few months ago and decided to lay down for a while.

Yes, this is my first dip into barrel-aging for beer, but man I am hooked. Old Rasputin is complex and more bitter than sweet, which surprised and happified me. Maybe that's just the nature of barrel-aged stouts?

I'm a huge fan of Old Rasputin...got a bunch for Christmas this year and I've been hooked since!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    You Chicago people excited about Lagunitas coming to town?
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Vart wrote:
    For you Dogfish fans in the Albany area they will be doing a takeover at the Lionheart this Thursday. It looks like they will have Faithfull Ale on tap. Since this is probably the only time I'll get a chance to taste it I might have to stop by. Hopefully it won't be too mobbed. Here's an article with details:

I'm heading to a Dogfish Head tap takeover tonight at my local World of Beer. Here's the list:

World Wide Stout
    60 Minute IPA
    90 Minute IPA
    Namaste
    Saison de Buff
    Pearl Jam Faithfull Ale
    Midas Touch
    Burton Baton
    Red & White
    Palo Santo Marron
    Aprihop

http://ftmyers.wobusa.com/Events/Specia ... spx?id=359
    adam42381 wrote:
    Vart wrote:

I'm heading to a Dogfish Head tap takeover tonight at my local World of Beer. Here's the list:

World Wide Stout
    60 Minute IPA
    90 Minute IPA
    Namaste
    Saison de Buff
    Pearl Jam Faithfull Ale
    Midas Touch
    Burton Baton
    Red & White
    Palo Santo Marron
    Aprihop

http://ftmyers.wobusa.com/Events/Specia ... spx?id=359

I would love for my store to sell the saison de buff as a 3 pack with the other two. They never have them at the same time at my place.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Anyone know where you can buy unafiliated growlers? I'm fond of the european style ones and i'd like to have a non descript growler i can take to different growler stations.

I go to Hop City a Lot in atlanta and i'd like to go to Ale Yeah but i don't want to buy one of their growlers just to use there. I'd like to have one i can use anywhere and take with me to cities i visit (was in greenville last weekend woudl have been nice to bring a growler of westbrook ipa home)

Even better would be a site that i coudl customize one. Like put a bad ass skull etched on it or soemthing.

i've had trouble finding this and if its not out there i think i might need to start a busienss doing it or maybe i'm the only person that wants my own customizable growler.

I think Pearl jam should sell them. A Pearl Jam growler with the stick man or the skull from the riot act era would be sweet. Just my humble opinion.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22

Holy Shit Wilco
    Really?
    I might be down for this
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Ninkasi is releasing a new brew this friday, Helles Bells Lager.

For the release party they got Hell's Bells a female AC/DC cover band. Tickets were only 3 caps.
    #FHP
  • I'm not really sure how widespread the distribution is or even where all Yazoo Brewing from Nashville gets to, but they have a "hop project" series where every 6-8 weeks or so they release a different hopped up beer, changing the recipe each time, sometimes quite drastically from one to the other. I was kind of late to the party but I've now had each batch from 55 to 64...really good stuff usually as have been most all of Yazoo's brews I've tried.
    Just had #64 last night...man I love beer.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

• VartVart Posts: 291
    Vart wrote:

I finally got to try the Faithfull Ale...and I have to say I wasn't really impressed.
    PJ: 8/27/00 4/29/03 9/15/05 5/12/06 6/28/08 6/30/08 8/21/09 5/15/10 5/21/10 9/11/11 9/12/11 9/14/11 10/25/13 10/27/13 10/29/13 10/30/13 8/5/16 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18
    EV: 8/09/08 8/10/08 6/08/09 6/09/09 6/18/11
    I'm not really sure how widespread the distribution is or even where all Yazoo Brewing from Nashville gets to, but they have a "hop project" series where every 6-8 weeks or so they release a different hopped up beer, changing the recipe each time, sometimes quite drastically from one to the other. I was kind of late to the party but I've now had each batch from 55 to 64...really good stuff usually as have been most all of Yazoo's brews I've tried.
    Just had #64 last night...man I love beer.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
    I have not seen those around but i'll keep an eye out. thanks for the heads up
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22