The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Oh what a wonderful thread I've discovered. I need to venture out of AMT more often.

Shep, would love to hear more thoughts on Immort Ale. I'm hoping it ages into something more palatable, but so far it just takes like bottled campfire to me. The smokiness overpowers everything else. My wife went a step further and said it tastes like bandaids. As a huge DFH fan, I hate to admit it, but I tend to agree with her. I defy you to drink another one without tasting band aids now that I've put the thought in your head. :D Desperately hoping a few months in my beer closet will allow some of the other complexities to breakthrough the campfire shield...

As for 120min, I came across a random wine store in the metro DC area that had a shelf full of it. I don't think the owner was a beer guy b/c he was willing to sell me as much as I wanted for under $10/bottle (not much under, mind you, but anything under $10 is a deal for 120). I had one as soon as I got home and plan to store the rest to see how it ages. I like it, don't get me wrong, but at this point the sweetness of the residual sugars overtakes the hops on my tongue, which is not what I'm looking for in an uber-DIPA. Curious to see how aging treats it, since for an 18% abv beer, the alcohol is already very balanced.

edit: for DFH hops, I can't recommend Burton Baton enough. 90min was my first DIPA and so will always have a special place in my heart, but BB in my opinion is a more well-rounded, balanced beer.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    Had The Reverend by Avery Brewing last night... good stuff. It's a Quad, in typical quad fashion, and packs a good punch at 10% ABV... not overwhelming fruity, which is nice. Very pretty dark red color when I held it up to the light...

Then we went out for Mexican... and into the wash of Mexican beers... I had a Negro Modelo, Pacifico, and Corona (of course bottles only, no taps)... and I could of sworn they were all the same beer... My week in Mexico next month is going to a boring experience for the beer palate :(

After that, was at a bar and a had a glass of Sympathy for the Lager on tap by Karabach (previously had cans).... I am really starting to enjoy this brewery (it's a new start up on the edge of Houston)... if you can get a glass, I'd recommend a taste...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Having a Chatoe Rogue First Growth OREgasmic Ale.

Last night had the 1st beer of the Apocalypse by Elysian already had the 2nd and the 3rd is waiting in the fridge.
    #FHP
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,065
    We spent yesterday at Dark Horse Brewing Co. in Marshall, MI. Great beers and food. Crooked Tree IPA is fantastic!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Horos wrote:
    planning to have that tonight

Edit: Really like this one. Split a bottle with my drinking buddy but now he's gone. I'm thinking bottle #2 may go down tonight
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    Horos wrote:
    planning to have that tonight

Edit: Really like this one. Split a bottle with my drinking buddy but now he's gone. I'm thinking bottle #2 may go down tonight
    I enjoyed it the most of the few Chatoe Rogues I have tried.

Had the 3rd beer of the Apocaplypse last night. Elysian Fallout Green Cardamom Pale.
    #FHP
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    anyone ever had anything from kona? brother in law gave me a 6pack of their pale ale. not too bad. very drinkable.
    www.myspace.com
    anyone ever had anything from kona? brother in law gave me a 6pack of their pale ale. not too bad. very drinkable.
    I've had Pipeline, Fire Rock and Longboard. All fairly good.

Sounds like you had Fire Rock, my favorite of the ones I've tried.
    #FHP
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Most of their stuff is pretty decent. I don't think any are particularly great, but definitely worth a try.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Holtzmn wrote:
    Picked up Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale today.
    I've had a bottle in the fridge for 6 months or so. I haven't been motivated to try it yet after hearing some bad things about it. I really need to crack it open and see for myself.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

This stuff is all over the area over the past couple months. Hit really quickly. All the stuff is decent, I don't love any of it.
  • HoltzmnHoltzmn Posts: 87
    adam42381 wrote:
    Holtzmn wrote:
    I've had a bottle in the fridge for 6 months or so. I haven't been motivated to try it yet after hearing some bad things about it. I really need to crack it open and see for myself.

I didn't get around to it this weekend, I think I have to be in the right mood to try it. Also the guy at the store said he's been told its one to share and not drink all myself.
  • Holtzmn wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:
    Holtzmn wrote:

I didn't get around to it this weekend, I think I have to be in the right mood to try it. Also the guy at the store said he's been told its one to share and not drink all myself.
    He told you right...one glass will be enough for sure

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    shep wrote:
    Then we went out for Mexican... and into the wash of Mexican beers... I had a Negro Modelo, Pacifico, and Corona (of course bottles only, no taps)... and I could of sworn they were all the same beer... My week in Mexico next month is going to a boring experience for the beer palate :(

I was in Mexico back in January. I tried a bunch of different beers. The only ones I found that were worth actually seeking out where Bohemia which was a pretty good pilsner that actually had some hops to it:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/57/1283/

and León which was a bit of a darker style beer, not as good as Bohemia though.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/75/8332/

Those were the only ones I tried out of like 9 different Mexican beers that actually didn't taste like standard Mexican beer (or worse.
  • I've just placed an order for
    Alaskan Amber 6pack
    Big Sky Moose Drool 6pack
    Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale 6 pack
    2 bombers of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone

• The bill to raise Mizzip's ABV limits to a shade over 10% is officially done with all the committees and bullshit and is one to the guv'na's desk. We should be enjoying some higher quality stuff (lots of it too) around the first of July.

• ekwiptekwipt Posts: 532
    Headed to Seattle then Oregon coast for a holiday in April. Can any westcoasters recommend some places in either of those areas to buy some craft beer? I'll have my 1 yr old son with me so pubs/on tap isnt really an option but I'm hoping there are some good shops people can point me to so I can get some bottled goodies. Hope someone can help. Thanks!
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    ekwipt wrote:
    Headed to Seattle then Oregon coast for a holiday in April. Can any westcoasters recommend some places in either of those areas to buy some craft beer? I'll have my 1 yr old son with me so pubs/on tap isnt really an option but I'm hoping there are some good shops people can point me to so I can get some bottled goodies. Hope someone can help. Thanks!
    If you are near Newport, go to the Rogue Public House. It is a family friendly Taproom. If you are going to Portland, check out Belmont Station. Loads of craft beer there! We have heard Pyramid Brewery in Seattle is family friendly...but haven't checked it out.
  • ekwiptekwipt Posts: 532
    guitar59 wrote:
    ekwipt wrote:
    If you are near Newport, go to the Rogue Public House. It is a family friendly Taproom. If you are going to Portland, check out Belmont Station. Loads of craft beer there! We have heard Pyramid Brewery in Seattle is family friendly...but haven't checked it out.

Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely check them out.

I'm also hoping to find bottled Dogfish Head IPA as it is literally impossible to buy in BC. Anyone know if it's readily available in WA?
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    shep wrote:

I was in Mexico back in January. I tried a bunch of different beers. The only ones I found that were worth actually seeking out where Bohemia which was a pretty good pilsner that actually had some hops to it:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/57/1283/

and León which was a bit of a darker style beer, not as good as Bohemia though.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/75/8332/

Those were the only ones I tried out of like 9 different Mexican beers that actually didn't taste like standard Mexican beer (or worse.

Cool... I'll keep my eyes peeled...

We're staying at an "all-inclusive" in Cancun, so I'm not expecting much selection other than Corona and probably Negro Modelo.... but we'll see how it goes...
    I've just placed an order for
    Alaskan Amber 6pack
    Big Sky Moose Drool 6pack
    Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale 6 pack
    2 bombers of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone

I've had the Moose Drool. Nothing spectacular... worth a try, but I wouldn't go out of my way looking for it.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • I've read reviews like yours all the way up to "it's the best beer i've ever had" so I was interested to see how it is.
    Similar things about the Alaskan Amber as well.

Also, my drinking buddy and I started a bottle collection last summer...everytime we have a new one we keep a bottle...and we are on a mission to have at least one beer from every state....so with that order we can scratch Montana, Alaska and Hawaii off the list. Problem is we haven't been keeping up with it so the plan is to one day soon sift through the mass of bottles crowded on the shelves in my garage and make a list of states/countries/breweries we've had. Getting every state will become problematic eventually but hell i guess that will be part of the fun of it....we've got a pretty good start though just off the top of my head

I've read reviews like yours all the way up to "it's the best beer i've ever had" so I was interested to see how it is.

Also, my drinking buddy and I started a bottle collection last summer...everytime we have a new one we keep a bottle...and we are on a mission to have at least one beer from every state....so with that order we can scratch Montana, Alaska and Hawaii off the list. Problem is we haven't been keeping up with it so the plan is to one day soon sift through the mass of bottles crowded on the shelves in my garage and make a list of states/countries/breweries we've had. Getting every state will become problematic eventually but hell i guess that will be part of the fun of it....we've got a pretty good start though just off the top of my head
    Started a bottle collection 4-5 months ago.

Pix are too big to post here so here's a link to make Facebook album:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?s ... 150&type=1
    #FHP
  • Horos wrote:
    I've read reviews like yours all the way up to "it's the best beer i've ever had" so I was interested to see how it is.

Started a bottle collection 4-5 months ago.

Pix are too big to post here so here's a link to make Facebook album:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?s ... 150&type=1
    Cool. I see you have lots of Rogue, which I suppose is available all over the place there, and I love Rogue's beers. I've got a good collection of them going myself. The thing I don't understand about Rogue is that they ship beer and I'm unaware of any other brewery that does. The plan is on my next big beer expenditure to order several of the Rogues we don't get around here.
    My buddy and I have had mostly crafts and imports but we've also tried all the big-brew swill we come across. Rule is...if we haven't had it...buy it. Thankfully we've just about gotten through all that mess :lol: Ain't nothing like an ice cold King Cobra malt liquor to cool you down, I guarantee that :lol:

Actually I started collecting the Rogue years ago because I liked the painted on labels so they are the oldest in the collection. As you can see I have lots of junk in my garage too. Hoping to one day clean it up and make some kind of display to cover the walls with bottles.
    #FHP
  • Horos wrote:
    Actually I started collecting the Rogue years ago because I liked the painted on labels so they are the oldest in the collection. As you can see I have lots of junk in my garage too. Hoping to one day clean it up and make some kind of display to cover the walls with bottles.
    My woman fussed enough until i cleaned mine up last summer. I'd also like to line the walls with shelves suitable for displaying the beers. As it is....i have a big four-shelf thing that's about five feet deep. The bottles are pretty crowded

• he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    As the NCAA tourney winds down a few buddies and I decided to have a lil beer tournament. We've selected 32 different beers and we're going to blind taste them bracket style until we finally have a clear cut winner. Not all of these are craft beers but this should be fun. We tried to be as diverse as possible. Here's what we picked up:
    Ipswitch IPA
    Terrapin Hop Karma Brown
    CIgar City Jai Alai
    Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin
    Lagunitas Cappaccino Stout
    Thomas Creek Up the Creek
    FCB Chocolate Stout
    Weyerbacher Old Heathen IMperial Stout
    Great Divide Wild Rasberry
    Sea Dog Rasberry
    BUffalo Bills Orange Blossom Cream Ale
    Rogue Mocha Porter
    Unibroue Don De Dieu
    Great Divide Hades Belgian Ale
    Winterbruan
    Smuttynose Star Island
    Peak Organic Simco Spring Ale
    Magic Hat Vinyl Spring Seasonal
    Dog Fish Head Tweason Ale
    Monty Python's Holy Ail
    Widmer Brothers Drifter Pale Ale
    Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown
    Spaten Dunkel
    Sierra NEvada Pale Ale
    Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot
    Billy's Chilies Ale (some sort of hot chili beer) :?
    Dog Fish Head Raison D'Etre
    Native Lager
    Lion IMperial PIlsner
    Mammas Little Yella Pils
    Primator Double Bock
    Lagunitas Maximus
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Abita strawberry harvest is wildly popular round here ...my store sold 70 cases in one day...but my buddy found it elsewhere yesterday. Pretty good I guess but didn't live up to the hype. Kinda tasted like Cap'n Crunch to us but it wasnt over the top with strawberry at all...kind of surprised me, pretty good

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Thats a lot of beers he.who. Well done.

Only 8 more Troegs Nugget Nectars left in my stash after tonight.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,988
    WTF!!!

I think I'm starting to feel the effects of GOUT! WTF! How can I even begin to be a beer lover?!

Any of you guys have problems with this?

I was just headed to buy a mini/half sized fridge just for my brews :(
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,988
    Really? I'll have to look into that... ;)
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06