The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Not sure we have every addressed this, but do you guys have a stash of beers that you are aging somewhere? I started a collection with youngster in his basement a few months ago and have the following:

1 750ml DFH Fort
    1 12oz DFH Palo Santo
    1 12oz DFH WW Stout
    1 750ml Firestone Walker XV anny.
    2 12oz Otter Creek 20th anny.
    6 12oz Sierra Nevada Bigfoot

Whats in your cellar?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Ithaca X
    Ithaca XI
    Ithaca XII
    Ithaca XIII
    DFH PJ20 (hopefully it will taste better in 20 more years)
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    In my cellar, which is really the crawlspace under my front stairs (although it works awesome since it is uninsulated, so while the rest of my house is 68 degrees, my cellar is a cool 50 degrees (perfect for storing beer)), I have
    2 bottles of the 2011 Fuller's Vintage Ale
    1 or 2 bottles of the 2010 Fuller's Vintage Ale
    1 or 2 bottles of the 2009 Fuller's Vintage Ale
    1 Bottle of St. Bernardus ABT 12 which I bought in December 2010
    1 bottle of St. Sylvestre 3 Monts 90th Anniversary.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    Not sure we have every addressed this, but do you guys have a stash of beers that you are aging somewhere? I started a collection with youngster in his basement a few months ago and have the following:

1 750ml DFH Fort
    1 12oz DFH Palo Santo
    1 12oz DFH WW Stout
    1 750ml Firestone Walker XV anny.
    2 12oz Otter Creek 20th anny.
    6 12oz Sierra Nevada Bigfoot

Whats in your cellar?

My cellar is actually a dual climate 60 bottle wine fridge with 1 climate modified to store beer upright... it's set at 52 degrees (being that stouts, lagers and IPA's are all recommended to be aged at different temps between 45-60 degrees)..

anyway in there right now:

(2) 25 oz DFH Pangaea
    (3) 22 oz Saint Arnolds 2011 Pumpkinator -- this is the best pumpkin beer i've ever had... it is amazing.
    (3) 12 oz DFH Paolo Santo
    (3) 12 oz DFH Immort Ale brewed october 2011 (thanks JK_livin!)
    (1) 25 oz Jester King Black Metal Stout
    (1) 12 oz Guinness 250th anny stout (not sure if that is being aged or archieved)
    (1) each of 22 oz Saint Arnolds Centennial, light and dark versions
    (1) 25 oz DFH Obrama....
    (1) 25 oz Bourbon Barrel Quad from Boulevard Brewing Co....

I think that's it...

I have a lot of drinking to do next year :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Well done shep. I drank at least 12 of the Immorts last November, wish I had saved some. The Palo Santo is really boozy fresh, so we'll see how it ages.

Whats the most aged beer you've had out of the bottle?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • If any of you care to take a couple minutes and watch this it's about the push to raise ABV limits and legalize homebrewing in Mizzip...featuring my favorite store. Pretty stupid that stores can sell homebrew kits but you aren't legally allowed to brew it :lol:

http://www.wapt.com/video/30460531/detail.html
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I tried the DFH Noble Rot the other and wasn't sure what to think. It was kind of like Champagne.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    A few from Deschutes Brewery lately:

Mirror Pond Pale Ale
    Inversion IPA
    Red Chair NWPA

Also had some Sierra Nevada Celebration

Faithfull Ale has finally hit Oregon at $10.59/bottle.
    #FHP
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Horos wrote:
    Faithfull Ale has finally hit Oregon at $10.59/bottle.
    Good price. Too bad the beer is mediocre.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Well done shep. I drank at least 12 of the Immorts last November, wish I had saved some. The Palo Santo is really boozy fresh, so we'll see how it ages.

Whats the most aged beer you've had out of the bottle?

:lol:... thanks, I think ... the girlfriend thinks it's a fairly heathy hobby - as long as I stick with the one fridge... :lol:

Yea... I just bought the Palo a couple of weeks ago from the January batch of this year... had one and am aging the rest... not really sure how it felt about the first one - the booziness was definitely a little overwhelming when combined with the woody flavors... if it wasn't for the maltyness I would have thought I was drinking an Isle of Sky single malt (my other booze habit :oops: )

haven't had any of the immort yet, JK_livin sent it down to my from NJ (thanks again Tom!)... it never showed up here in Houston, except at one store, which i missed by 24 hours... the beer guy told me they sold out of it within 6 hours of putting it on the shelf... Anyway, I'm gonna age 3 and there's one in the fridge for me to try the weekend...

I just finished a Full Sail Amber Ale and a Sierra Nevada Celebration... both very enjoyable... really like the Full Sail Amber... I could definitely see myself consuming a 6 or 12 pack of those on the right night.... The celebration is pretty hoppy... the hop punch surprised me a bit on the first sip - but enjoying the last few drops as I type this....

Also - the gf gave me a $30 gift card to my local beer store for valentines... went down there today and spent it... after recommendations from my beer guy, I walked away with a new brew from Jester King called Thrash Metal, a bottle of Raven Mad from Bridgeport brewers, and a 6-pack of Anchor Steam (i'm kind of ashamed to say I've never actually had any of their beers before :oops: )
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    We have a few imperial IPA's from Alley Kat "in the Cellar", a couple Barley wines and an Imperial Stout or two. All from places in Canada. We drank the DFH Pangaea after about a year...just couldn't wait any longer... :oops: We try to keep some of it around...but sometimes you get thirsty...
    guitar59 wrote:
    We have a few imperial IPA's from Alley Kat "in the Cellar", a couple Barley wines and an Imperial Stout or two. All from places in Canada. We drank the DFH Pangaea after about a year...just couldn't wait any longer... :oops: We try to keep some of it around...but sometimes you get thirsty...

:lol:

I really liked the Pangaea when I had it fresh... actually drank 2 bottles of it, and somehow have refrained from drinking the other 2 so far (it's been about 4-5 months)... I don't know how long I'm going to make it before I go back and have one... I'm hoping I can make it to the 1 year mark...

Unfortunately it's not on the schedule for DFH this year... very dissappointed at that, especially seeming how it's one of their few occassional brews that actually has label approval in the state of TX... :(
  • I've been drinking a ton of this lately. The bar about 100 steps from my front door has it on tap....so good.

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/green_ ... ale/93.php
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I've been drinking a ton of this lately. The bar about 100 steps from my front door has it on tap....so good.

can you be considered a craft beer when you are produced by one of the big three?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    I've been drinking a ton of this lately. The bar about 100 steps from my front door has it on tap....so good.

can you be considered a craft beer when you are produced by one of the big three?

Ohhh yea, Bud bought Goose Island, right? Not like anything has changed w/ goose island though...still a lot of good beers.
    81 wrote:

Ohhh yea, Bud bought Goose Island, right? Not like anything has changed w/ goose island though...still a lot of good beers.

didn't the brewer quit?

i'm not a goose island fan at all. i don't care for any of the chicago brewers that much.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    didn't the brewer quit?

i'm not a goose island fan at all. i don't care for any of the chicago brewers that much.

Not sure. Green line, 312, and summer ale are all pretty damn good. But I guess not good enough for you beer snobs :)
    81 wrote:
    didn't the brewer quit?

Not sure. Green line, 312, and summer ale are all pretty damn good. But I guess not good enough for you beer snobs :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/1 ... 48178.html

i admit, i'm a beer snob.....and i find goose island to be over rated. i've tried a few different brews a few different times and always come to the same conclusion.

that's ok...right? i mean, i'm sure everyone doesn't agree with my beer choices....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I've always liked Goose Island, but yeah a bit overrated. This coming from a Samuel Adams fanatic. Seriously though, this "overrated" nonsense has gotta end with craft beers.
    I've always liked Goose Island, but yeah a bit overrated. This coming from a Samuel Adams fanatic. Seriously though, this "overrated" nonsense has gotta end with craft beers.

lets end it with sam adams.... :lol:

beers can be over rated....there are some beers out there that get talked up so much, like they are the greatest thing ever...and then you try it, and you shake your head and go why
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    I can't stress enough that if you're in the Philly area to stop by Victory's brewery in Downingtown. Awesome place.
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Where should we stop and what should we look for in the NW corner of Arizona and SE corner of Nevada (Flaggstaff/Vegas)? The Mr. loves the IPAs and I am a pale ale gal.
    guitar59 wrote:
    Where should we stop and what should we look for in the NW corner of Arizona and SE corner of Nevada (Flaggstaff/Vegas)? The Mr. loves the IPAs and I am a pale ale gal.

Sierra Nevada :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,963
    Top 50 beers in the U.S. 2012. Sadly, I've only had one (#7) There might be a keg of Pliny in town, though.

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/table_2012.asp?title=Best+Beers+of+the+United+States+2012&file=usa_beer_2012.csv
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    if you guys haven't already tried Boulevard Brewing's Smokestack Series...you should definitely give it a shot. seriously tasty beers.

http://www.boulevard.com/beers/smokestack-series/
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Top 50 beers in the U.S. 2012. Sadly, I've only had one (#7) There might be a keg of Pliny in town, though.

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/table_2012.asp?title=Best+Beers+of+the+United+States+2012&file=usa_beer_2012.csv

Awesome list, thanks! I've actually tried quite a few that are here. One day I will have that Dark Lord beer. It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    mfc2006 wrote:
    if you guys haven't already tried Boulevard Brewing's Smokestack Series...you should definitely give it a shot. seriously tasty beers.

i've had their dark truth and bully porter....

quickly becoming a fan of this brewer.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

Awesome list, thanks! I've actually tried quite a few that are here. One day I will have that Dark Lord beer. It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

lot of oak/bourbon aged beers on that list....

i remmeber hearing about them a couple of years ago, they were becoming all the rage...

i've two or three and they don't do it for me.

i prefer straight beer. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    81 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

those are 2 of my favorites. :thumbup:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

those are 2 of my favorites. :thumbup:

I've had the dark truth, double wide IPA, The Sixth Glass (a quadruple), and a Tank 7... of them the dark truth and the double wide were my favorites...

I also have one of there limited releases in my beer aging fridge... the 2011 Bourbon Barrel Quad... it's clocked in at some ridiculous ABV, so i thought it might be a good idea to age it a bit, judging from the other beers i've had from the brewer...