The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• shepshep Posts: 5,764
    intodeep wrote:
    shep wrote:
    Over the weekend I tried an Avery Brewing Maharaja... wasn't much of a fan... it's a very citrusy hopped IPA... unfortunately that's not how I prefer my IPAs. I could still taste the beer in the back of my throat when i got up the next morning... :sick:
    :( that is one of my all time favs :(

Sorry... just too much citrus for me...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    belgium and a beer brewing sesh fucked me until this evening...god damn monks. had a stone ipa this eve and it was delicious.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    guitar59 wrote:
    ...decided to go to Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula.

Any suggestions for brewpubs there? Does anyone have a fave Northwest beer they think we should try? We have a book or 2 to reference, but could always use more info. We are travelling with kids, so are looking for family friendly places.
    Had a great time at the Pyramid brewhouse when I was out there. Its literally right next to Safeco Field where the Mariners play. Great beers at Pyramid.

The Pike brew pub is also awesome. It is in a great location right next to the Pike Place Market. The beer is really good. I didn't have kids yet when I went a few years ago but looking at the menu it appears they have a kids menu, which to me would mean family friendly.

http://www.pikebrewing.com/
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    81 wrote:
    :lol:

it would be curious to see how many different beers i've consumed. 377 is a pretty impressive number. doubt i'm that high.

If you want to keep track of the beers you have had there are a few other options. There is a facebook app called beerseek which is pretty decent and lets you do star ratings between 1 and 10. If you don't like facebook Beeradvocate.com lets you rate your "hads" on a score of 0 to 5 without having to write a full rating. I used to use beerseek but it was down for like 3 months so I signed up for the beer advocate one. Now beerseek is back and I use both. On beer advocate I am up to 452 and beerseek I am at 468 (beerseek separates beers on cask (I was in London a few years ago and drank a bunch of cask ale) as well as the different years of things like Fuller's vintage ale while beer advocate doesn't that explains the difference).
  • As I've admitted before, I for long a time purely drank mass-produced American swill (Miller Lite) but since my drinking buddy and I have begun buying anything and everything we have never had late last summer we've piled up a pretty damned impressive number I think...we've been keeping a bottle of each and at last count just after the turn of the year we had right around 110 bottles....since then I would say we've easily averaged over 1 new one per day. Pretty much the only day we don't typically have a brew together is Monday. I've pretty much been drunk since last July :lol:

Hopefully the state legislature will get their heads out of their asses this session and make the appropriate changes to the ABW limitations so we can open up the selection available to us...there's three bills out there now to do so while also legalizing homebrew....my fair state along with 'Bama are the only two in the country where its illegal to homebrew...not that anybody is stopping us
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Last night was Bell's Brewery night at World of Beer. The highlight, of course, was Hopslam on draft.

DtdF7.png
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Last night was Bell's Brewery night at World of Beer. The highlight, of course, was Hopslam on draft.

DtdF7.png

DROOL.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • adam42381 wrote:

DtdF7.png

This one bar by my place that has all of these crazy craft beers has all these signs about this Bell's Hopslam....what's so special about this Hopslam?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    adam42381 wrote:

DtdF7.png

This one bar by my place that has all of these crazy craft beers has all these signs about this Bell's Hopslam....what's so special about this Hopslam?

I have heard great things and I have heard it's just alright and the rage is just that it's hard to get. That said, I'd like to try it.
    edited February 2012
    adam42381 wrote:

DtdF7.png

Bell's only releases it once a year and it's consistently ranked among the best Double IPA's - and beers in general - in the world. For me, it's a little more boozy and bitter than last year's version, but it's still quite good. The price is a bit much at $20 for a 6-pack, but I still bought it. At $6 for a snifter, I'd be much more inclined to drink it regularly.
    Post edited by adam42381 on
    adam42381 wrote:

DtdF7.png

looks like they are serving it way to cold.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

DtdF7.png

It was served around 45-50 degrees which is a little cool for a Double IPA, but nothing crazy. It's sweating so much because I was sitting outside and it was around 75 degrees.
    I like Bell's Hopslam a lot but it is a little over rated because of its rarity. That said it is a mighty fine beer in my opinion.
    Last night i had:
    -Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot- First time having it on tap and i thought it was good. I think for its style it is a solid beer.
    -Heavy Seas Black Cannon- A really nice Black IPA. Seems like some of these black ipas are hits others are misses this one fires true and is a hit. it was my first time tryign this.
    -21st amendment's american bitter- Good not great, but i'm not a huge fan of the style in general first time having it
    -Dogfishhead Chicory Stout- YUM I liked this a good bit it was my first time and i'll have it again.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    adam42381 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

DtdF7.png

It was served around 45-50 degrees which is a little cool for a Double IPA, but nothing crazy. It's sweating so much because I was sitting outside and it was around 75 degrees.

ahh...outside in FL...that explains it.

50 would be ok...

i just hate when they serve good beer ice cold. ruins the flavor....until you get it warmed up.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

50 would be ok...

i just hate when they serve good beer ice cold. ruins the flavor....until you get it warmed up.
    I'm the same way. I'd much rather drink most beer a little on the warm side than too cold. If I'm in a bar I'm not familiar with, I make sure to tell the server/bartender that I want a room temperature glass. Nothing worse to me than drinking from a chilled or frozen glass - unless it's some macro crap where I welcome the cold taking away from the flavor of rice or corn.
    adam42381 wrote:
    81 wrote:

50 would be ok...

I'm the same way. I'd much rather drink most beer a little on the warm side than too cold. If I'm in a bar I'm not familiar with, I make sure to tell the server/bartender that I want a room temperature glass. Nothing worse to me than drinking from a chilled or frozen glass - unless it's some macro crap where I welcome the cold taking away from the flavor of rice or corn.
    I learned to ask for room temp glasses too. I learned my lesson i went to one place and they came out with a iced frosty mug and i asked if i could get a room temp mug and the server seemed iritated the had to go get another one.
    I on the other hand was iritated because i was ordering a nice ipa not like i was ordering a bud lite and i thought most places that serve a good beer should teach their servers not to do that.
    I tried to explain to him why i asked for it adn i got that look like shut up anddrink your beer beer snob :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I learned to ask for room temp glasses too. I learned my lesson i went to one place and they came out with a iced frosty mug and i asked if i could get a room temp mug and the server seemed iritated the had to go get another one.
    I on the other hand was iritated because i was ordering a nice ipa not like i was ordering a bud lite and i thought most places that serve a good beer should teach their servers not to do that.
    I tried to explain to him why i asked for it adn i got that look like shut up anddrink your beer beer snob :(
    I get that look a lot. They act like you're an idiot because you don't want your beer as cold as possible. When I order a decent beer, I want it in a room temperature glass. When I'm at home or in a craft beer bar I prefer the proper glassware, but I don't expect it when I'm at a place that doesn't specialize in it. Just don't be rude when I ask for a glass that isn't frozen.

There's a Buffalo Wild Wings near my house that serves a few craft beers (Cigar City, Bell's, Sierra Nevada, etc.), but they don't keep any of their glasses at room temperature. All there glassware is washed and left wet before being placed into the freezer so it becomes frosted. When I ordered a glass of Maduro Brown Ale I asked for a room temperature glass and got the "Are you serious?" look. They told me they didn't have any so I told the bartender just to wash it and let it sit out for a few minutes. He kind of snickered, but I ended up getting what I wanted.

I'm picky about my beer, but I don't think I'm snobbish. There's a time and place for everything. I don't mind ordering pitchers of Coors Light or something of that sort when I'm at a sports bar to watch a game. Just don't look down on me for a simple request that actually makes a real difference in the way my beer is enjoyed.
    never asked for a warm glass...just wrap my hands around it for a few minutes
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Haha, the last page of this thread is great. The yahoos at most bars have no clue how to properly serve shit. There are two places I go to in Boston and Cambridge that know what they're doing, and hence why I give them my business.

Just grabbed a bottle of Stone Old Guardian and a 12er of Ruthless Rye for the weekend.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Haha, the last page of this thread is great. The yahoos at most bars have no clue how to properly serve shit. There are two places I go to in Boston and Cambridge that know what they're doing, and hence why I give them my business.

Just grabbed a bottle of Stone Old Guardian and a 12er of Ruthless Rye for the weekend.

:lol:

best beer i've ever had was this IPA that was served old old old school via a beer engine. perfect temp, good beer, and the expiernce of the beer engine just put it over the top.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Beer engine huh? Had to look that one up myself.

Can't wait for my trip to the UK in March. Gonna be tasting a bunch of room temp beer over there. :lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    I love cask beer. While many may decry putting IPAs or most American beers in casks, I really enjoy it.
    adam42381 wrote:
    I love cask beer. While many may decry putting IPAs or most American beers in casks, I really enjoy it.

Word!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Enjoying all the love for beer severed at warmer temperatures.
    Finally tried the Faithfull last weekend, and true to form, the warmer it got the more I enjoyed it. Also enjoyed a Firestone Double Jack...it smelled so good I stole it from Mr. Guitar to enjoy the aroma...then wound up drinking it...good thing he loves me ;)
  • guitar59 wrote:
    Finally tried the Faithfull last weekend, and true to form, the warmer it got the more I enjoyed it.
    Really?

:sick: I'm still bitter about how poor this was last year. I feel like I wasted 20 bucks on Coors Light. Talk about putting a silk hat on a pig.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Picked up a couple things this afternoon:

Dogfish Head 120 min IPA
    Sam Adams Imperial White
    Otter Creek Copper Ale
    Weisen Edel-Weise Ale
    Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier (Bavarian Style)
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Just about to open a bottle of this....yum....

Deschutes Hop Henge Experimental IPA

from their site...
    "Hop Henge Experimental IPA is our annual exercise in IBU escalation. An outrageous amount of Centennial and Cascade hops are added to each barrel, with a heavy dry-hop presence as well. It is dense and muscular, with a blend of crystal, pale and carastan malts creating an overall biscuity characteristic. It’s all hop, no apologies."
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • youngster wrote:
    Picked up a couple things this afternoon:

Dogfish Head 120 min IPA
    Sam Adams Imperial White
    Otter Creek Copper Ale
    Weisen Edel-Weise Ale
    Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier (Bavarian Style)
    Mmmm Imperial White
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    guitar59 wrote:
    Finally tried the Faithfull last weekend, and true to form, the warmer it got the more I enjoyed it.
    Really?

:sick: I'm still bitter about how poor this was last year. I feel like I wasted 20 bucks on Coors Light. Talk about putting a silk hat on a pig.
    Yes, really.
    But to put a little perspective on it...craft beer is not huge in Alberta...you can get it...but not a lot of it is local and you have to look hard to find much variety. There are 9 microbreweries and 3 brew pubs in Alberta. There are microbreweries in other provinces, but taxes make it difficult for small places to send their beer to other provinces. It just isn't cost effective to ship it out of province. So we get a few brews from BC, a few from Ontario, a couple from Quebec and a handful from any where else. We get some European beers and we can get a few brews out of the States (Rouge, Lakefront, Hopworks, Anchor, Pyramid, Brooklyn...a few others) but pickings are slim and all of it is fairly expensive (we routinely pay $13- $17 dollars a 6 pack). There are also only a handful of places in Calgary to find any selection. So the novelty of getting a Dogfish Head beer combined with general lack of variety make even a pig in a silk hat enjoyable. ;)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Just about to open a bottle of this....yum....

Deschutes Hop Henge Experimental IPA

from their site...
    "Hop Henge Experimental IPA is our annual exercise in IBU escalation. An outrageous amount of Centennial and Cascade hops are added to each barrel, with a heavy dry-hop presence as well. It is dense and muscular, with a blend of crystal, pale and carastan malts creating an overall biscuity characteristic. It’s all hop, no apologies."

i've gotta say that this is incredibly tasty. my wife even likes it & she usually hates IPA's.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com