Options

let's talk dirt...

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Thought I'd share his morning's wildlife. A young male Black bear and a pair of juvenile Hairy Woodpeckers and their mom. You can see our latest project in these photos, a new walkway and shade gardens around our pond. I was hoping it would be done for my Mom's surprise party on the 30th...no chance of that.

DSC05021.jpg
    DSC05035.jpg
    DSC05044.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    amazing!!!
    and you know how i LOVE your pond!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    JzPJzP Posts: 931
    Havested our garlic :mrgreen:
    IMG02225.jpg

IMG02222.jpg
    IMG02226.jpg
    IMG02238.jpg
    IMG02220-1.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: Haven't figure out the picture upload BS. :lol::lol:
    ~JzP
  • Options
    IMG02299-1.jpg
    My lady took this nice pic today
    ~JzP
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    JzP wrote:
    IMG02299-1.jpg

I like it!

Is that garlic with the sun flowers?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    JzP wrote:
    IMG02299-1.jpg

I like it!

Is that garlic with the sun flowers?

It is :mrgreen:

Lets see more pics of your gardens and veggies...
    ~JzP
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i've planted pumpkins from seeds...they are awesome! 8-)
    i'll post pics soon!

all the peppers and eggplant going like gangbusters....the tomatoes and cucumbers petering out.....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    i used to have a wicked indoor garden. boy was it pretty. got pics too. just became too much work to take care of. 8-):mrgreen:
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    i used to have a wicked indoor garden. boy was it pretty. got pics too. just became too much work to take care of. 8-):mrgreen:

Too much work?? to water?? :lol: get those plants growing again.

Here's our potato harvest for the year.
    IMG02452-1.jpg
    ~JzP
  • Options
    We had a couple hard frosts up here already and for the most part everything is done. On to the next part of this cycle :lol:
    ~JzP
  • Options
    I am so excited, we are heading out to Lowe's this weekend to pick up gardening supplies. I was so proud of the fact that my brussel sprouts made it through the winter and were still pretty and green. However, I noticed that that rabbits got into them last week. I really do not know a whole lot about them and I am a novice gardener. The stems are still there, will the make a recovery or should we just buy some more plants?

(We are also tightening up our security in the garden,lol.)
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    The stems are still there, will the make a recovery or should we just buy some more plants?

(We are also tightening up our security in the garden,lol.)
    The stem I don't think will do well. It wants leaves to get that sun! and most of the time the leaves come off as you take the sprouts. That being said, if the plants looks good and healthy, leave one or two and try it out. Remember they take up a good amount of space, so for a good harvest I would put fresh plants in. (don't want to waste space on a plant that will yield very little) Just some thoughts..
    ~JzP
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    this year i am having a big ass garden. in years past i had smaller gardens, not now. i will grow many different kinds of veggies like sweet corn, green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, watermelons, lettuce of some kind, cantaloupe, and i will throw in some flowers, maybe some sunflowers too.

gardening tip... rich dark soil, water, and sunlight.
    go
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Last week I noticed new growth in all my pots in my wee courtyard garden.The sight made me very happy.Today I weeded them all,turned the soil,fed them and gave them a good watering,while the stereo played in the house and the skate kids passed by on their boards on the way down to the beach.Gardening is good for the soul.It makes me feel alive,happy and settled.

:D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    Hows all the growin going? :mrgreen:

I'm a little behind but getting there. We got some chickens and in the process of building a small greenhouse in our garden area.

Hope to see some pictures of what you folks got going on...
    ~JzP
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    ^^^^ this sounds great!

glad you dug this thread up ;) beautiful pictures here I missed last time around.

No new pics from me but lord everything has gotten so big in the yard.
    I must learn to judge the finished product better ...

we have a jungle out there! :lol:
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    pjaddicted, I like your bear drinking out of the pond pic :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Oh I've missed this thread :) so nice to see. I was just thinking of the original pics posted back in the day. Picked the first cukes and a turnip today. Been eating handful of raspberries daily and everything seems to weathering the shithot all right. For the first time I planted some flowers to keep the bees happy- bee balm is one coolass fleur!
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    I hate gardening and yard work! Which I had one of you awesome people to come and do it for me :lol::lol:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,881
    Tomatoes
    Radish
    Beets
    Zuchinni (speeling? hehehe)
    Beans
    Green Peppers
    Lettuce

All are doing well...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    embrace wrote:
    For the first time I planted some flowers to keep the bees happy- bee balm is one coolass fleur!

Flowering bee balm...
    7490755568_bd275576e2_n.jpg
    awesome fucking flower!
    ~JzP
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    JzP wrote:
    embrace wrote:
    For the first time I planted some flowers to keep the bees happy- bee balm is one coolass fleur!

Flowering bee balm...
    7490755568_bd275576e2_n.jpg
    awesome fucking flower!

:D
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    still figuring out potatoes. We heard to plant them mid-season to bypass bugs. It has worked well, but we had to buy potatoes until they're ready :fp:
    ~JzP
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    JzP wrote:
    still figuring out potatoes. We heard to plant them mid-season to bypass bugs. It has worked well, but we had to buy potatoes until they're ready :fp:
    Never grown them but a friend did. Who'd have guessed that potatoes could be so flavorful.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I'm entering this thread as a total newbie, but I just moved into a rental that has garden space and a lovely tomato plant already giving plenty of fruit. The pepper plants sitting behind them are looking nice, but only some small growths coming in. I really love coming home from work, having a beer and watering the garden.

I have a pretty, well very amateur question: Once the frost comes and winter soon follows, will I have to replant a tomato plant next year? The peppers too? :oops:

Also, is there anything I can grow in the winter months that might be easy to handle? I'm seriously so new at this. :lol: :fp:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    JzP wrote:

One of my absolute favorite vegetables, I would love to grow some potatoes.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I'm entering this thread as a total newbie, but I just moved into a rental that has garden space and a lovely tomato plant already giving plenty of fruit. The pepper plants sitting behind them are looking nice, but only some small growths coming in. I really love coming home from work, having a beer and watering the garden.

I have a pretty, well very amateur question: Once the frost comes and winter soon follows, will I have to replant a tomato plant next year? The peppers too? :oops:

Also, is there anything I can grow in the winter months that might be easy to handle? I'm seriously so new at this. :lol: :fp:
    Yes, you start fresh every year with vegetables. They put so much of their energy into producing fruit that even if they survived the winter, they'd be unable to do that all over again.

Without knowing your climate, I don't know if you could grow anything in the winter. In Texas I've had good luck with lettuce, which doesn't like our hot summers. Some herbs do OK in the winter, especially parsley.
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yes, you start fresh every year with vegetables. They put so much of their energy into producing fruit that even if they survived the winter, they'd be unable to do that all over again.

Without knowing your climate, I don't know if you could grow anything in the winter. In Texas I've had good luck with lettuce, which doesn't like our hot summers. Some herbs do OK in the winter, especially parsley.

Doing some reading and I think I'd probably have some luck with greens, root vegetables, and peas.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    the Brassica family does well in cold weather. broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and will withstand a frost or two.
    ~JzP
  • Options
    JzP wrote:
    the Brassica family does well in cold weather. broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and will withstand a frost or two.
    True. I remember growing brussel sprouts one year and they did fine during the cold. Another one of those veggies that taste so much better when homegrown.