Options

let's talk dirt...

Comments

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    wow you fit all that in your little garden? fantastic!
    i am surprised you alredy have it all in the ground, but perhaps it gets warmer sooner by you? somehow that surprises me, but i guess our risk of frost may be higher/longer, even if overall our temps are warmer.

i've never grown lettuce, is it easy to grow? also, isn't that more of a cooler weather crop? never grown garlic or potatoes either. no interest in potatoes...but garlic would be nice! grown watermelons, but none ever grew into relly tasty fruit....and the berries......it's the birds! :evil: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Amazing what you can fit in a bit of garden! Don't know if you remember the layout of the gardent, but peas on the back fence with the tomatoes, sweetcorn and watermelon on the right hand side fence, lettuce/radishes/potatoes on a patch near the apple tree (not under it - there we have all our flowers!), strawberries, blueberries, etc in pots! No worries! We have had beautiful weather lately and the risk of night frost is gone. I didn't sow any of the veggies in the ground but started them off in pots. Only the sweetcorn was started indoors (not planted out yet actually - will do in the next few days). Lettuce is almost all year around and is very easy to grow... start sowing March time and you can go on until September/October (keep on sowing a couple of weeks apart and you can have lettuce for months! Same for radishes). Garlic dead easy too... just put sprouted garlic cloves in the soil or in a pot. Harvest it when the green stuff is dying out.

Berries and apples and birds.... Oh well... birdies need to eat too!

Not sure what we will harvest, but it's good fun trying!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    redrock wrote:
    wow you fit all that in your little garden? fantastic!
    i am surprised you alredy have it all in the ground, but perhaps it gets warmer sooner by you? somehow that surprises me, but i guess our risk of frost may be higher/longer, even if overall our temps are warmer.

i've never grown lettuce, is it easy to grow? also, isn't that more of a cooler weather crop? never grown garlic or potatoes either. no interest in potatoes...but garlic would be nice! grown watermelons, but none ever grew into relly tasty fruit....and the berries......it's the birds! :evil: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Amazing what you can fit in a bit of garden! Don't know if you remember the layout of the gardent, but peas on the back fence with the tomatoes, sweetcorn and watermelon on the right hand side fence, lettuce/radishes/potatoes on a patch near the apple tree (not under it - there we have all our flowers!), strawberries, blueberries, etc in pots! No worries! We have had beautiful weather lately and the risk of night frost is gone. I didn't sow any of the veggies in the ground but started them off in pots. Only the sweetcorn was started indoors (not planted out yet actually - will do in the next few days). Lettuce is almost all year around and is very easy to grow... start sowing March time and you can go on until September/October (keep on sowing a couple of weeks apart and you can have lettuce for months! Same for radishes). Garlic dead easy too... just put sprouted garlic cloves in the soil or in a pot. Harvest it when the green stuff is dying out.

Berries and apples and birds.... Oh well... birdies need to eat too!

Not sure what we will harvest, but it's good fun trying!

i do remember your garden quite well - what a lovely day we all spent there!
    didn't remember the actual layout tho, bit busy drinking/socializing. :D
    aha, you start a lot in pots! i never do that, haha. i mean, i grow all our peppers in pots, everything else in 3 raised beds. i may just have to try the garlic. i've seen this thing for gorwing cucumbers on that allows space underneath for growing other things...and it suggests lettuces. i may have to give it a go! i love, love, love cucumbers, and we grow 2 plants and eat loads.....but they go crazy and take over the full bed! perhaps this growers raised fence would be perfect, and try some lettuce.....always eat a ton of salad, so could be well worth it. thanks for the suggestion!

and while unlikely, we do have may 15th as the 'official' date for our zone, zone 7, as the last chance for frost. we get a lot of veggies and annuals, so definitely don't like risking a killing frost b/c that is planting and $$$ down the drain.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    This is a nice thread.

I can't wait to start up the garden again. When we purchased our house the previous owners had a small garden. We expanded it last year and had our own garden for the first time.

We planted 3 tomatoes, 1 cherry tomato, 4 bell peppers, 2 hot peppers, 10 broccoli, 1 green beans, 4 different kinds of lettuce, 3 cucumbers, 4 strawberries.

We had a lot of success for our first year and plan on expanding the size even more this spring. :D
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    Riot_Mac wrote:
    This is a nice thread.

I can't wait to start up the garden again. When we purchased our house the previous owners had a small garden. We expanded it last year and had our own garden for the first time.

We planted 3 tomatoes, 1 cherry tomato, 4 bell peppers, 2 hot peppers, 10 broccoli, 1 green beans, 4 different kinds of lettuce, 3 cucumbers, 4 strawberries.

We had a lot of success for our first year and plan on expanding the size even more this spring. :D

awesome!

and as everyone gets their gardens started/growing....post pics!!! :mrgreen:

and yes, that's the thing with gardens....as soon as you start one, you always want to grow it bigger. we've done the same, 3x hahaha.....and our fishpond too! if i had the $$$, i'd get an even bigger pond, but i think what we have now is what we can manage at least for now...;)

and 10 broccoli?! you must LOVE it! :lol: i;ve never gorwn that either, but we do eat it weekly.......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    aha, you start a lot in pots! i never do that, haha. i mean, i grow all our peppers in pots, everything else in 3 raised beds. i may just have to try the garlic. i've seen this thing for gorwing cucumbers on that allows space underneath for growing other things...and it suggests lettuces. .

Lettuce and radishes are ideal for 'under' plants.... I forgot, I also have two bell peppers and 1 chili plant!!!

I do start them off in plants before planting out the seedlings (even those that are outdoors) mainly because of the cats. If I sow directly in the ground, all the cats in the neighbourhood love freshly turned soil and all I 'harvest' are poos or, as eventually stuff does grow, it is all muddled up. If I sow in pots and plat the seedlings, it's safer!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    aha, you start a lot in pots! i never do that, haha. i mean, i grow all our peppers in pots, everything else in 3 raised beds. i may just have to try the garlic. i've seen this thing for gorwing cucumbers on that allows space underneath for growing other things...and it suggests lettuces. .

Lettuce and radishes are ideal for 'under' plants.... I forgot, I also have two bell peppers and 1 chili plant!!!

I do start them off in plants before planting out the seedlings (even those that are outdoors) mainly because of the cats. If I sow directly in the ground, all the cats in the neighbourhood love freshly turned soil and all I 'harvest' are poos or, as eventually stuff does grow, it is all muddled up. If I sow in pots and plat the seedlings, it's safer!

see, i *cheat*...i always buy prestarted plants, never sow seeds...thus i don't have that issue. :D besides, thankfully, no cats use our garden as a litterbox. our own kitty is indoors (tho she ventures out on the back porch sometimes when we are outside)....and most cats avoid our yard b/c we have 2 dogs!

i think i will suggest that whole cucumber/lettuce bed to hubby, seee what he thinks......be nice to try something new!

btw - you grow blueberries in pots? we used to have blueberry, raspberry and blackberry plants....they grew quite big....but the little fruit they produced, the birds got 98% of it. :evil: of the 3 i guess the blueberry was the most compact...perhaps i too will try it in a pot, easier to keep netting on, and uncover easily to harvest.

you're just full of good ideas today! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    We got the brocolli and onion starts in the garden, as well as carrot seeds. The kids had a lot of fun with the planting.

And I found a fix for the cat problem. :lol: :twisted:

First I dug out the patch where they had been going and put all the dirt between our yard and the neighbor's yard - right in the path where the cat comes into our yard. So I gave it an alternative. I even put in some catnip seeds over there :D

Then I sprinkled 1/2 a bottle of cayanne pepper and another 1/2 bottle of red pepper flakes into the flower garden. We have not had anymore cats in that garden! LOL
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    dawng wrote:
    I even put in some catnip seeds over there :D

Catnip!!!!! Never thought of putting some of that in the garden. Must do... get all my cats and the neighbourhood's cats high!!!!
    dawng wrote:
    Then I sprinkled 1/2 a bottle of cayanne pepper and another 1/2 bottle of red pepper flakes into the flower garden. We have not had anymore cats in that garden! LOL

Tried that as well as citrus peel..... no luck :(
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    dawng wrote:
    I even put in some catnip seeds over there :D

Catnip!!!!! Never thought of putting some of that in the garden. Must do... get all my cats and the neighbourhood's cats high!!!!
    dawng wrote:

Tried that as well as citrus peel..... no luck :(
    i've seen this product in one of my gardening catlaogues. dunno if it works, but it's meant to be a humane/environmentally sound way of keeping kitties out of your garden. it looks to be some little hard plastic mat with short little spikes on it, not sharp really......but supposedly it annoys cats to walk on so you are meant to put them around areas you want cats to stay out of and it acts as a deterrent. i'll see if i can find it online and come back and link.

well that was easy :)
    hereya go:

http://www.gardeners.com/Safe-Cat-Deter ... lt,cp.html
    scatmats
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    for really large containers, i add crushed soda cans at the bottom to take up space, use less soil and keep em lighter. also, i swear by hydromats - which i purchase the gardener's supply catalog - that 'hold on' to extra water so you water less, and your plants don't dry out and stay healthy!

do the cans rust? worried about rusty water stains on brick.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yes! Lets!...

AliceinChainsDirt.jpg

Brilliant album! :D
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Very nice weekend - got the rest of my plants in. The original list changed a bit, we now have:

brocolli
    tomatos
    onions
    carrots
    zuccini - regular
    zuccini - balls (look fun!)
    pumpkins
    jalapeno
    watermelon*
    cantaloupe*
    sweet peas
    cucumbers

I'm not so sure about the wantermelon & cantaloupe - the last time I tried the latter, I got a baby cantaloupe about the size of a baseball. It was tiny - but very good. We'll try for a couple tiny ones this year! Oh - and the watermelon has a yellow flesh, sounded good. All the tomoatos are heirloom of one type or another - pink, yellow, and orange.

Yay for weekends in the garden! :)
  • Options
    dawng wrote:
    Very nice weekend - got the rest of my plants in. The original list changed a bit, we now have:

brocolli
    tomatos
    onions
    carrots
    zuccini - regular
    pumpkins
    jalapeno
    watermelon*
    cantaloupe*
    sweet peas
    cucumbers

I'm not so sure about the wantermelon & cantaloupe - the last time I tried the latter, I got a baby cantaloupe about the size of a baseball. It was tiny - but very good. We'll try for a couple tiny ones this year! Oh - and the watermelon has a yellow flesh, sounded good. All the tomoatos are heirloom of one type or another - pink, yellow, and orange.

you know it! 8-)
    it was a gorgeous weekend, almost like summer. actually had to turn on the a/c last night! :shock:
    hopefully more spring-like weather will prevail before we jump into summer temps. ;)

that said, i did not yield to the temptation of planting early, but got all the beds, pots and windowboxes all prepped and ready to go. tried some new potting soil in the pots/boxes this year, miracle-gro water retention soil with fertilizer built in for 3 months and some water-holing properties...keep my thirsty plants hydrated. :P put in new hydro-mats (mentioned in an earlier post) in the window boxes along with the new soil, figured it was time to start *fresh* since it's been a few years since i've changed either. sometime this week will pick up some fresh mulch to top off some of the beds, and then will we will be completely *ready* once the tems are right and just PLANT!

opened up the pond this weekend, crystal-clear and beautiful...installed new landscape lighting last weekend....the garden is look top-notch! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    dawng wrote:

brocolli
    tomatos
    onions
    carrots
    zuccini - regular
    pumpkins
    jalapeno
    watermelon*
    cantaloupe*
    sweet peas
    cucumbers

Nice setup you got there. Where do you live? I think it may still be too early for me to plant? I live in the chicago south burbs.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    i've seen this product in one of my gardening catlaogues. dunno if it works, but it's meant to be a humane/environmentally sound way of keeping kitties out of your garden. it looks to be some little hard plastic mat with short little spikes on it, not sharp really......but supposedly it annoys cats to walk on so you are meant to put them around areas you want cats to stay out of and it acts as a deterrent. i'll see if i can find it online and come back and link.

well that was easy :)
    hereya go:

http://www.gardeners.com/Safe-Cat-Deter ... lt,cp.html
    scatmats
    I tried those several years ago. They didn't work for me. Although in all fairness I had such problem with a pack of feral cats that my neighbors used to feed, NOTHING was going to work for me. The only thing that finally worked was when the neighbors moved and the cats had to fend for themselves. The cats moved on as well. Now there are only about 3 of them left.

I spent the whole weekend working in my garden. I planted perennials and did lots of weeding in my flower beds. But the most important thing was I finally planted my blackberries! I've been trying to do it for a month. Every weekend I've either had commitments or it's been raining. Last Sunday my husband was able to borrow my neighbor's little tiller and till up the bed for me. Another neighbor brought me some compost on Saturday for the bed. I think everybody is looking forward to some blackberry cobbler! ;):lol:

Yesterday I finally got my plants in the ground. I've had 6 plants sitting in pots for ages. I tried to get a variety of the types that do well in North Texas so I planted 3 Brazos, 1 Shawnee, 1 Choctaw, and 1 Damfino (the tag fell off). I was really anxious to get them planted because it's supposed to rain all week. It started raining this morning so I'm happy.

I've grown blackberries before and they don't take a lot of effort. I just hope my dogs leave them alone while the plants are still kind of small. When the bed was first tilled my dog Penny thought the dirt was great place to lie around in. Even after they were planted she still seemed to think it was her spot. Blackberries are pretty tough plants but dogs and gardens usually don't mix.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    haha.....i have 2 dogs!
    however, i have all my veggies in raised 3'x6' beds and in large pots. only my perrenials and trees and shrubs have to contend with dogs, but i do my best to keep them out. i have a rock border going around the entirety of my ssgarden landscape, and whenever the dogs cross it they get a stern "NO!" and if they don't respond, i pull em out. the older dog totally gets it, basically stays out....the little pug, errrrr....it's hit or miss. he also loves to eat the mulch :roll: so it is challenging. luckily, since he is small, doesn't do too much damage. my main problem with berries have always been the birds. i no longer have any berry bushes....but i am tempted to try again sometime....i LOVE berries!!!

oh - my dogs LOVE to steal tomatoes right off the vine! :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    When it comes to stealing the blackberries I agree the biggest problem is usually birds. I remember from my past experience that I had to get out to pick berries first thing in the morning. I'm not worried about my dogs eating the berries, just trampling the canes while the plants are still kind of small.

For now the bed is outlined with rocks. I keep telling them NO! when they walk on it but apparently all that nicely tilled dirt is just so cool and comfy! :lol: I'm trying to think like a dog but I just don't get the appeal! Last night they were very tired from "helping" me all day in the garden. For years I've said that Shetland Sheepdogs are the biggest garden pests but they rarely cause me any problems. Or maybe I've just gotten used to gardening with dogs. ;)
  • Options
    Riot_Mac wrote:
    Nice setup you got there. Where do you live? I think it may still be too early for me to plant? I live in the chicago south burbs.

Ooh - you're making me nervous! LOL I'm in zone 7b. And we've got pretty tame weather normally - being between the olympics and cascades (mountains). But I did plant about a week early for the tomatos, squash & melons so I will have to keep an eye on the weather. But I'm busy next weekend - going to the Flight to Mars show and hosting company on planting weekend! So I looked at the weather report and chanced it :)

As far as where you are - I think you're in zone 5b - but you are right on the edge...you may want to input your zip into one a zone finder like this one: http://www.garden.org/zipzone/index

But I get all my info from a local website for Seattle - you could probably find one for Chicago.
    http://www.seattletilth.org/about/seattle-tilth-gardens

whoprincess - I'm so surprised to hear of anyone planting blackberries! On purpose! They are a weed around here - my kids always come home with purple fingers when they go out on bike rides. They are a pain in the neck to keep out because of the lovely job the birds do in spreading their seeds!

decides2dream - I'd be going nuts! Plant something already ;) Peas? How long do you have to wait (zone?)
  • Options
    dawng wrote:
    whoprincess - I'm so surprised to hear of anyone planting blackberries! On purpose! They are a weed around here - my kids always come home with purple fingers when they go out on bike rides. They are a pain in the neck to keep out because of the lovely job the birds do in spreading their seeds!
    My sister lived in Washington years ago and she told me the same thing about blackberries. But the difference between there and Texas is that it rains where you live! :lol:

Actually, my experience with blackberries is that once you get them started they DO grow like weeds. But since it's hot and dry in this part of the country they need supplemental watering to get established. Eventually they will grow so thickly they send up shoots everywhere but even if I couldn't pull them up, they would get mowed over if they come up in the lawn.

I wanted to grow them because my husband likes eating blackberry cobbler and blackberry pie. I used to make blackberry jelly too.
  • Options
    dawng wrote:
    decides2dream - I'd be going nuts! Plant something already ;) Peas? How long do you have to wait (zone?)

haha.
    may 15th is the official last frost date for my area.....zone 7.
    we've had CRAZY good weather lately, unreal how warm, but will return to more appropriate spring temps as of tomorrow. depending when may 15th falls, and the earlier weather...i will usually push it forward a couple of days. given that may 15th falls on a friday this year, i'll probably BUY all my plant starts sometime during that week after work, keep em in their pots on the porch....then plant on the 16th. 8-) i hope we have glorious weather that weekend b/c it will be AWESOME to get planting!

i've done just about all the soil prep i can do, all laid out and ready to go! might top off some beds with fresh mulch and such....and then just waiting on mother nature to give the go-ahead! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    nekkidgardenbedsapril2009.jpg

waiting...........
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854

waiting...........
    8-)

Beautiful raised beds! I can't wait to see 'em full of goodies. :D
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    Those beds look so neat and nice! :D
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

waiting...........
    8-)

What a beautiful garden that's going to be :geek:. You're in for the freshest of the fresh.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    i kill every living plant known to mankind.

kudos to you gardeners!!! must be great!
  • Options
    wow, decides2dream! beautiful beds :)

I will try to post a pic - need to get around to taking one!
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    libragirl wrote:
    ah, what a let down..I thought this was about talking shit. :lol:
    So did I. :mrgreen::lol:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Those beds look so neat and nice! :D

OMG they do Maria!!! I would hate to post a pic of my garden as it is now, it's a mess compared to yours... I do have beds and things growing... but this is immaculately organised!!!

Though I've got loads of things starting to pop out... it's kinda cute!
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402

waiting...........
    8-)

What are you going to plant?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    I only garden with my hands, in barefeet , sitting cross legged. I love toiling the soil with my hands. I like touching my plants as they grow, I think they like it too. :)

Hey dreams, hugs to you girl.. I still have the NY pic you sent me in a frame in my living room. I love it. I hope to see you soon.. Im retiring this year. ;)