Options

let's talk dirt...

Comments

• Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    WOW! This looks fantastic- It looks so inviting :) Curious if you are single planting (only one veggie in each raised bed?) We're doing raised beds for the first time this year and I've heard contradictory advice on the subject. I went ahead and took a chance and cross planted the beets and cucumbers- we'll see what happens!

My veggies look about the size of yours though I just showered them with compost tea and am hoping they go nuts!
    wow, so far...so good! :D
    here's the veggie & herb garden planted & mulched 8-) .....still not *finished* tho, need to add the garden grids to support the cukes and zucchini....will come later...and of course...needs to GROW!

veggiebeds2may2009-1-1.jpg

overviewmay2009-1.jpg

veggiebeds3may2009-1-1.jpg

veggiebedsmay2009-1.jpg

overviewofthegardenmay2009-1.jpg
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    My lillies bloomed :D I planted two bulbs in a pot in the kitchen. The scent from them is amazing, the kitchen just smells of lily-awesome 8-)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    can anyone recommend an organic mulch for a community veggie garden?

thanks!

if you purchase 'natural' mulch, as in the pine or cedar that is NOT dyed....isn't that organic? i thought by definition (until some genius decided to start dying it colors :roll: ) that all mulch was organic, and just part of the reason it's so good. we compost most of the leaves in our yard each year right within the garden beds, turn/work it into the soil each spring...and then every year when i plant i top off the veggie gardens with the fine/shredded pine mulch and all other beds with the pine mini nuggets(simply b/c they last and last, thus only top off every couple of years instead of annually)

embrace - 2 out of the 3 beds are dedicated to one plant species only. one bed is two cucumbers, another bed is 6 roma tomatoes, but the third bed is zucchini and yello squash - so related plants, but not the same. all peppers are in individual pots, and herbs we have 2 varieties in each box. however, when we first bought our house and planted our first veggie garden, we had one large garden bed and planted everything in there....so i wouldn't be too concerned. just try to plant 'related' plants, with similar light/soil requirements and you should be fine.

i still haven't uploaded my newest pics....weather's been too nice to be bothered! :P maybe tonight i'll get to it....

jenny - nice on the lilies! 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Oh I love the lillie smell- got it going in the backyard now big time- but
    what I'm extra excited about is the gardenia-after 5 years its finally bloomed. I really didn't think it would ever produce it
    Smells soooo good!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Oh I love the lillie smell- got it going in the backyard now big time- but
    what I'm extra excited about is the gardenia-after 5 years its finally bloomed. I really didn't think it would ever produce it
    Smells soooo good!

Gardenia is my favorite for smells! (Jasmine ranks close 2nd) YAY! on yours blooming :) Mine has zero flowers right now.
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    d2d,
    thanks!
  • Options
    d2d,
    thanks!

you're welcome...hope it helps.

take pics of the garden and SHARE! :mrgreen:

cinngirl said she'd post pics of her garden.....where are they? :? :D
    and i know i said i'd post some new pics too.....i will.....eventually. the garden IS gorwing leaps and bounds, love it! but i want to see some other gardens growing too... 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    technically challenged, can't upload :oops:
    d2d,
    thanks!

and i know i said i'd post some new pics too.....i will.....eventually. the garden IS gorwing leaps and bounds, love it! but i want to see some other gardens growing too... 8-)

• Options
    embrace wrote:
    technically challenged, can't upload :oops:
    d2d,
    thanks!

do you have a digital camera?
    b/c it really is quite simple. i mean, the camera comes with a cord to plug it in, pics come up, load em on your harddrive or wherever you save your files......then just open a photobucket accountm load em up there, link em here!

(and if all else fails...ask your hubby to help ;))

once you try it, you'll see it's very easy!
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Let's see if this works...

Everything looks a bit dry but it's just the repurposed tree we had to take down. (non dyed mulch)

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww34 ... DEN1-1.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww34 ... ARDEN3.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww34 ... ARDEN2.jpg

• Options
    embrace wrote:

Everything looks a bit dry but it's just the repurposed tree we had to take down. (non dyed mulch)

WOW!
    :shock:

THAT is some serious garden space!
    *envious*
    :twisted: :D:mrgreen:

can't wait to see all you've got growing in there later in the season.....let us know how it all goes!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Thanks :ugeek: It's our first year in the house/ground and we're trying some new things. This is my first year of heirlooms - I used Seed Savers Exchange and got a few transplants (eager to see how the ground cherry works out).

I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing how everyone is doing in July! I will probably be weeding for the month :lol:
    embrace wrote:

WOW!

*envious*

can't wait to see all you've got growing in there later in the season.....let us know how it all goes!

• Options
    embrace wrote:
    Thanks :ugeek: It's our first year in the house/ground and we're trying some new things. This is my first year of heirlooms - I used Seed Savers Exchange and got a few transplants (eager to see how the ground cherry works out).

I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing how everyone is doing in July! I will probably be weeding for the month :lol:

and to that i say...

mulch, mulch, mulch!
    8-)

obviously, it won't get rid of ALL weeds, but it most definitely will repress a LOT of em. besides which, it nourishes the soil...and looks pretty. however, do NOt get cocoa or colored mulch if you have pets! cocoa is always toxic to dogs, and i've read how the colored dyes can cause harm to them as well, tho i also think they look unnatural, and probably none too healthy in general.

i am always pulling little weed starts...i actually find it rather therapeutic. :oops: haha.

and NICE on being your first year on your home/garden! what an ambitious project you took on your first year! impressive! am sure you will reap the bounty of LOTs of fresh produce! sounds like you've been a home-owner/gardenr before.....so know what you're talking about!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    embrace wrote:

your herb garden is just lovely- mine not so- but again the smells are wonderful when you water or just brush up against them- let alone bring them in and cook- got some cooking with dinner tonite
    have faith your gardenia will bloom it must just take them awhile to get comfy

WOW!

*envious*

• Options
    Pandora, thank you ! Please share pics of yours-I'm sure its great! I too love the smells-it awakes something within. It makes me happy to go outside and snip and use them in a meal- it's a much more meaningful, thoughtful process to me. Cheers!

• Options
    hey- I'm working on it- you know I posted my doggie pictures last summer( what happened to the doggie thread anyways) but I needed help so I'm waiting on hubby - we'll struggle thru together again- hopefully tonite- i think i need picture book or something??

oh and "please let it rain today" everything is getting dry again- yesterday a big storm comes thru and spits in two going around my neighborhood- geez- lots of good nitrogen in the air though- hope you are fairing better
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    hey- I'm working on it- you know I posted my doggie pictures last summer( what happened to the doggie thread anyways) but I needed help so I'm waiting on hubby - we'll struggle thru together again- hopefully tonite- i think i need picture book or something??

oh and "please let it rain today" everything is getting dry again- yesterday a big storm comes thru and spits in two going around my neighborhood- geez- lots of good nitrogen in the air though- hope you are fairing better

photobucket.com

i actually gave some 'directions' on this thread earlier to embrace.
    so i do hope you post pics!

and the doggie thread is alive and well, probably just a few pages back as no one may've posted anything new in a day or 2.

i would HAPPILY give you all the rain we've been having....and seemingly will continue to have. i cannot recall such a rainy, rather cool, june. overall, i don't mind - not a huge fan of it being HOT, and definitely not the humidity we usually suffer with - but sure...i definitely want more sunny days. that said, we have been lucky in that it's been managing to rain/showers/thunderstorms M-F....and decent weather on the weekends. 8-) THAt is the way to get rain. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    i planted:
    zucchini, watermelon, broccoli, parsley, green beans, and red bell peppers.
  • Options
    i planted:
    zucchini, watermelon, broccoli, parsley, green beans, and red bell peppers.

awesome!
    take and share some pics as they grow... 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    CIMG0359.jpg

Just testing- posting a pic- more to come but these baby birds are way cute huh
  • Options
    CIMG0797.jpg

sorry still testing-tiki guy guarding pool!

ok i think i got it!

now to find more pics- no veggie garden to add here though- just flowers
  • Options
    Pandora, Glad you got the pics to work :) Love the Tiki !

• Options
    ok so now i'm testing to see if my avatar pic turned out- be patient with me ;)
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I've been very busy this Spring. During the last year we completely redid our front yard, new circular driveway, stone walls, walks and gardens. Today I planted 50 perennials. Now we are busy redoing the entire backyard. My pond is being completely rebuilt and a stone padio is being constructed. Next Summer the new walkways will go in back there and gardens will be planted.

garden5.jpg
    garden3.jpg
    garden2.jpg
    garden1.jpg
    garden.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    that turned out really nice- very pretty- send more pics as everything grows during the season-
    and I love your doggie on guard there- is she a dobbie? mix?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    CIMG0818.jpg
    my gardenia!
    Post edited by pandora on
  • Options
    CIMG0817.jpg
    so pretty- but kind of sad the blooms but last a few days
  • Options
    WOW!
    awesome pics everyone!
    soooo glad to see more gardens!

we went away for 4 days last weekend for ed in baltimore, came back tuesday, and could not believe just how much the garden shot up! i am sure it helps that this is probably one of the rainiest junes in our area on record i'd imagine. only back to the office today, thus my absence here. :) didn't get to spend too much time in the garden b/c of all the rain, but did enjoy a day or two....at least a couple hours, anyway. i'll definitely have to take more pics b/c it has sooo grown, even since my last pics that i still haven't managed to upload. :oops: i took sooooo many pics on vacation, so have a lot of pics to get up, hopefully by the weekend.

haven't gotten any veggies just yet, tho growing like mad...but the herbs are insane, so have been using them quite often. our eggplant this year is growing better than any other year and sooo many buds, sure to get a nice crop. the zucchini and cucmbers are really starting to take off, and our yellow squash that we planted from seed has finally started to grow some, so hopefully we will get some squash. the tomatoes are really going and the pepper plants are looking good. our strawberries have totally taken off, lots of blossoms, so hopefully we will manage to get at least a few berries, as long as the birds don't get to em all first.

Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    can someone please tell me exactly how to post a pic here?