Options

let's talk dirt...

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    JzP wrote:
    Just found this thread and am very pleased :D Growing is very important to me and nothing feels better in this world than eating what you grow. I have been working on some plots at my house for a couple of years now, we're getting there. :D So far I got an herb circle for my wife, a couple of beds for veggies, some trellised beds on a south facing slope for melons, and a bed of asparagus (which I will be able to harvest a lil this year!) as well as a cold frame. And I still want to do so much more. This year because of the surplus of seeds we have we decided to do a ton of starts for friends and to sell... Still too cold to put in the ground yet. Here's a pic of what's going on...

IMG01676.jpg
    Wow!!!
    Very impressive!
    The only thing I have ever grown from seeds, and still do, is yellow squash, simply because none of our local nurseries, for whatever reason, sell plant starters. Did again this year, and happily, they are growing!

I am very pleased to see our little gardening thread has gotten some love in my absence. :)
    My garden suffered some serious damage last year, I'll share some pics at a later date, but I am happy to say, after much anxiety and stress....plus of course a lot of $$$ and effort.....all is well again and to some degree a lot better. So at least my little patch of earth is healed.

As always started our veggie garden and things are going well. I have taken some pics and I WILl post...I will. Hahaha. I just have to upload them to photo bucket. Got some things going on the next few days but within a week I hope to share.

Hope everyone's gardens are happy!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Alrighty folks, I'm back and you all know what a demanding bitch I am :D ...I wanna see some garden pics SOON! Got it?! :mrgreen:

And yes, I will post a few of my own hopefully Monday.
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    JzPJzP Posts: 931
    a well needed rain in the northeast :mrgreen:
    IMG02031.jpg?t=1308953164
    IMG02030.jpg?t=1308953132
    IMG02029.jpg?t=1308953104
    IMG02022.jpg?t=1308953040
    IMG02024.jpg?t=1308953013
    IMG02025.jpg?t=1308952923
    and my wife started bees this year!
    IMG02027.jpg?t=1308952850
    ~JzP
  • Options
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Wow!!!
    Truly. Your lettuces are beautiful...and, bees?!
    Fantastic!
    :thumbup:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Let's see some picks of the greens everybody!
    ~JzP
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Picked and ate our first strawberries from the allotment.

Also have some lovely chives to go in a salad.
    :D:D
  • Options
    My wife and I started vegetable gardening when we got our new house 3 years ago. I have been told by many that it has been about the worst year for gardening for 3 years in a row now so I can't wait until we have a normal weather pattern. I might be able to feed the entire neighborhood. We have added to our space every year and we just do it by the seat of our pants. This year we are growing pickling cucumbers, peas, bush beans, broccoli, sweet peas, zucchini, squash, lettuce, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, corn, spinach, pumpkins, blueberries, raspberries, bell peppers and strawberries. I'm sure I forgot a few things but that's most of it. We don't use any chemicals and this year we started our own compost pile. I will update as the crops come in.

Tomatoes
    GardenInlateJune8.jpg
    Corn, some will be knee high by the 4th of July
    GardenInlateJune2.jpg
    Cucumbers
    GardenInlateJune7.jpg
    Broccoli, Peas, and bush beans
    GardenInlateJune6.jpg
    Lettuce, Spinach, Onions, and carrots
    GardenInlateJune5.jpg
    Blueberries and Raspberries
    GardenInlateJune4.jpg
    Pumpkin patch
    GardenInlateJune3.jpg
    Potato barrels
    GardenInlateJune1.jpg
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options
    good on ya dude looks good. I like your mini jap. maple.
    ~JzP
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i enjoy a healthy green female
    she's indoors or out

some folks in western washington
    believe that green women do not grow worth a hoot anywhere else but the northwest
    i guess nobody anywhere else gets ripped

WARNING TIP: DO NOT SMOKE YOUR KID'S GREEN ARMY SOLDIERS
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    alrighty, as promised...pictures of the dreaming 2011 garden! 8-)
    i'll start off with the veggie garden, then post some overviews/close-ups of the rest of the spread, and can see some of the changes/improvements we made....and sure, the loss of our big black walnut, all the SUN now, and our new little eastern redbud, hoping to grow as big as his older, 2003 brother....:P

veggies garden:

veggieoverview.jpg

veggieslawn.jpg

pepperplants.jpg

eggplantbud.jpg

cucumber.jpg

chilis.jpg

hammock.jpg

veggieview.jpg

zucchinibuds.jpg
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    popcorntree.jpg

popcornflowers.jpg

pond.jpg

newoldredbuds.jpg

hostaimaptiens.jpg

bistropond.jpg

backofhouse.jpg

arborview.jpg

astilbe.jpg

hydrangea.jpg
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    I love the landscaping and your use of space. I'm getting ideas and can see my wallet getting thinner. Did you use weed blocking fabric under the rocks?
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    decidestodream, beautiful garden/yard!!!

Your hosta is huge!

A few pics from my plot in our community garden. We got a late start due to cool weather and rain. :(

A diseased tomato plant:
    DSCN6256.jpg

Zucchini:
    DSCN6247.jpg
  • Options
    Well seemed to spend all afternoon weeding the allotment, but did eat some strawberries whilst there and brought home lettuce and chives to have with our tea. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon :D:D
  • Options
    I love the landscaping and your use of space. I'm getting ideas and can see my wallet getting thinner. Did you use weed blocking fabric under the rocks?

Thanks!
    Your garden looks awesome!

And absolutely on the wee block. Cheap enough and well worth it. You'll still get weeds in time because dirt will settle on top, but it will cut down on the amount enormously. We originally went with gravel just for our dining area when wefirst bought our house because the previous owners patio consisted of uneven pavers. I am actually glad tho, easy to remove and NO concrete anywhere in our yard. So we were young and broke, gravel seemed the cheapest option. We've expanded our gravel space about 7 different times now. It's just so easy, cheap and more environmental than any other hardscaping you can choose, and so versatile when you want to change. It's back breaking work, but worth it IMO. We love it, especially the crunch while you walk on it. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    cmon, we're at the height of growing season, show off your produce and flowers! :D
    my veggie garden is really kicking in, got a few of everything started...little baby peppers, eggplant, cucumber, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash....here they are, the firsts of the season!

zucchinistarts.jpg

yellowsquash.jpg

pepperstarts.jpg

hotyellowpeppers.jpg

hotpeppers.jpg

eggplant.jpg

babytomatoes.jpg

babyromas.jpg

babycucumber.jpg

8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    where are all the posts/pics?!
    :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

more fresh veggies in the making and flowers blooming:
    zucchini2011.jpg

yellowsquash2011.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

cucumbers2011.jpg

blackeyedsusanside2011.jpg

whiteside0711.jpg

yellowdaylillyreach0711.jpg

:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    still waiting for pics/posts..... :twisted:
    :mrgreen:

anyhoo, fresh picked from the garden:
    inbloom.jpg

i LOVE fresh flowers in the house, but i don't like yo buy em. so i love when i am able to pick them from my own gardn. currently have bouquets in my dining room, living room mantle, and bathroom. seeing em just makes me happy. :) the black eyed susans are *just* starting to bloom as well, so i see fresh blooms in the house on the horizon for awhile!

also, just picked 2 perfect cucumbers, 1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash! hubby made thai cucumber salad...and i see some veggie skewers in our future this weekend! 8-)

how's everybody's gardens?!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Well the allotment is doing pretty well - we brought home lettuce, chives, peas, potatos and mint. Had the lettuce, chives and peas in a salad and will cook and have the potatos with a bit of mint tomorrow. How I love growing my own food! :D
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    Well the allotment is doing pretty well - we brought home lettuce, chives, peas, potatos and mint. Had the lettuce, chives and peas in a salad and will cook and have the potatos with a bit of mint tomorrow. How I love growing my own food! :D

nice!

our cucumber plants are going WILD! :shock:
    we've got about 10 going on right now, and already picked 3 over the weekend.
    picked 2 yellow squash and zucchini....and our first eggplant looks to be ready soon.
    lots of peppers getting going as well.

dinner last night:
    dinner.jpg
    fresh yellow squash, zucchini and cilantro from our garden.
    delicious!
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

picked 2 yellow squash and zucchini....and our first eggplant looks to be ready soon.

dinner last night:
    dinner.jpg
    delicious!
    8-)

That looks great. You guys are lucky, it's prime growing season up here so just broccoli, asparagus and salad green to eat so far. Garlic is almost ready for harvest:mrgreen:
    ~JzP
  • Options
    I want in on a gardening thread. This is my first year to try a full-scale garden. I had a delicious salad made with the lettuce I grew for dinner tonight. It is very fulfilling to be able to eat something I grew and I know it is healthy.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I'd like to get in on it too. I have a patio garden though.....no dirt ground yet....I took a picture before I moved the wood.....So far so good with the chilis, tomatoes...but no grapes yet and the last lemon and lime tree...I killed... :(

Here's a link because it says it's too big to embed.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h40 ... -19001.jpg
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    Lizardjam wrote:
    I'd like to get in on it too. I have a patio garden though.....no dirt ground yet....I took a picture before I moved the wood.....So far so good with the chilis, tomatoes...but no grapes yet and the last lemon and lime tree...I killed... :(

i see some tomatoes!
    lookin' good!
    nothing wrong with a patio garden, stuff still grows!
    8-)

going to have the skewers again for dinner tonight....yummm.
    tonight tho, we'll add in our fresh eggplant. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Lizardjam wrote:

i see some tomatoes!
    lookin' good!
    nothing wrong with a patio garden, stuff still grows!
    8-)

going to have the skewers again for dinner tonight....yummm.
    tonight tho, we'll add in our fresh eggplant. :mrgreen:

Is eggplant hard to grow? I've seen those in pots too, just wasn't sure such a big veg would work that way?

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• Options
    Lizardjam wrote:

Is eggplant hard to grow? I've seen those in pots too, just wasn't sure such a big veg would work that way?

Easy as sin. 8-)
    If you notice in my pics above, we grow our eggplant and all our peppers in pots.
    With the eggplant just be sure to not allow the plant to dry out.
    We've grown a great variety of eggplant over the years...the traditional, white and Japanese. The japanese is what we grown most often and what we grew this year.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Lizardjam wrote:

Easy as sin. 8-)
    If you notice in my pics above, we grow our eggplant and all our peppers in pots.
    We've grown a great variety of eggplant over the years...the traditional, white and Japanese. The japanese is what we grown most often and what we grew this year.

Which taste the best? Is the same true for the tomato? Don't let it dry out? I'm so afraid to overwater now I don't want to kill it all by not watering enough!

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    nice!

dinner last night:
    dinner.jpg
    delicious!
    8-)[/quote]

decides2dream, dinner last night looks delicious! What time should we all be over for dinner tonight? ;)

I don't have any pics of my garden, but I've picked and eaten several zucchini.
  • Options
    Idk really what tastes best, they all taste like eggplant. :P
    For us, it's more about shape. We find the Japanese, which are longer and narrower, just more convenient for what we like to make with em, skewers! If you like to eat eggplant Parma, the traditional eggplant is the way to go, whatever the color.

And, I am not saying to drown them in water, haha, just don't let the soil get too dry. Container gardening is eat, especially for controlling pests and moving around to follow the sun if needed...but the biggest con is watching watering. Definitely more prone to drying out.

Stuck inline, thanks! They are delicious! I'll let hubby know to make a few extra. ;)
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:

Easy as sin. 8-)

Which taste the best? Is the same true for the tomato? Don't let it dry out? I'm so afraid to overwater now I don't want to kill it all by not watering enough!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    DSC05018.jpg
    DSC05017.jpg
    DSC05016.jpg
    DSC05015.jpg
    DSC05014.jpg
    DSC05013.jpg
    DSC05012.jpg
    DSC05011.jpg
    DSC05010.jpg
    DSC05009.jpg
    DSC05008.jpg
    DSC05007.jpg
    DSC05006.jpg
    DSC05005.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown