Options

let's talk dirt...

Comments

• Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    edited August 2009
    OK - I will finally post the images I've been meaning to forever!

Here is the garden when it started out in May (my son is helping me!):
    1.jpg

Two more of the garden back in May:
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Shot of the garden in the end of July - just before the tomatos fell over!
    4.jpg

Tomatos and zucchini have taken over the garden! I ended up taking the last of the brocolli out because the tomato plants squashed them when they fell over.
    5.jpg

The path to walk down has gotten very full of raspberries coming from the neighbor's yard - we decided to let them grow :)
    6.jpg

Showing off my son's alfalfa seed that he grew in school - as well as the 'mystery seed' that turned out to be a giant sunflower. Doh! should have planted that in the back of the garden!
    7.jpg

July I was harvesting lots of zucchini! not as much anymore :)
    8.jpg

(edited to add images instead of links! yay - it finally worked!)
    Post edited by dawng on
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    I've been clearing out my side garden lately.

The fence and trellises were covered with passion flowers and grape vines and it was separating and pushing the fence out of shape. So.

I've been trimming or cutting everything and re-attaching the trellises and re-attaching the fence sections more securely to the posts. :geek:

Not fun work, but necessary. :)

The vines were attempting to cover and choke everything on that side of the house. Including some big palm trees!! :?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    goldfish.jpg
    PJpond.jpg
    DSC01399.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    Petey finally realized that those were fish in there....and he loves to eat fish!!

fishing1.jpg
    fishing.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    pjaddicted, love the pics of petey.

dawng, great pics. i too had TONS of zucchini in july, now a fungus? has affected the zucchini plants. i have about 4 small watermelons growing. and i am awaiting the red bell peppers.

i love summer produce
  • Options
    Healthy Pizza! Grate up a zucchini, mix with egg and lots of Parmesan cheese, add some pine nuts and what ever spices you like. Form a flat circle on a greased pan, bake til cooked, turning over once. Add favorite toppings like fresh tomatoes, basil mozzarella cheese, what ever else floats your boat, bake again and then eat!! Great way to use your tomatoes and zucchinis. I've had it for lunch the last two days.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • Options
    DSCN1383.jpg
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    Nice!! ^^^
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    DSCN1383.jpg

WOW...beautiful!
    we never had much luck with watermelons, that looks like it will be great!

pjaddicted, your pond is just so gorgeous!
    perhaps someday we can have such a big pond, for now, our little 260 gallons will have to suffice. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    dawng wrote:
    OK - I will finally post the images I've been meaning to forever! However, I kept getting errors, etc. so I am finally just going to post the links.

wow, i missed this earlier!
    GREAT job - looks awesome!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Leave some weeds, especially if you are lucky enough to have Milkweed in your yards, they are the preferred food of Monarch butterfly caterpillars. This guy will be maturing into an adult soon, and he will be making the long journey to Mexico.

monarchcp.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • Options
    thanks justam and decides2dream, i'm pretty excited about the watermelon, but i don't know when to pick them.
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Leave some weeds, especially if you are lucky enough to have Milkweed in your yards, they are the preferred food of Monarch butterfly caterpillars. This guy will be maturing into an adult soon, and he will be making the long journey to Mexico.

monarchcp.jpg

awesome catepillar!
    i don't have room to grow weeds ;)....just a small suburban lot. however, i do try and grow some plants that are butterfly friendly such as rudebeckia, salvia and bee balm. either way, amazingly, we DO get a nice amount of butterflies in our garden :)....and ladybugs :).....and worms :).....and sadly, mosquitos. :evil:

stuckinline...i have no idea. :? it looks good enough to pick right in your picture, but wtf do i know? :P
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    i finally picked the watermelon.

DSCN1531.jpg
  • Options
    i finally picked the watermelon.

DSCN1531.jpg

omg, that looks gorgeous!
    hope it was delicious!

our garden is pretty much kaput for the season. we had a couple of green tomatoes, one small yellow squash, still growing.....but the squash got nabbed by squirrels and nibbled and left for dead, and the tomatoes i just don't think will ever ripen now. hubby already canned about 5 jars of sauce, and he probably froze enough tomatoes to make another 5 or so jars. yummm-mmmmmyyyy! :mrgreen:

we still are getting habaneros tho, so many this year gve em away like candy! those and the thai peppers! crazy! had a nice amount of poblano peppers and our best eggplant crop yet. i think we're finally going to give up on the red and orange bell peppers. we gorw em every year, and they do well as green peppers, but as soon as they start to change color, they either rot immediately or the bugs get em. eh well.

hubby started composting and he is loving creating his 'black gold'....hahaha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    the watermelon was so good!!!

my garden is done for the season as well. interesting, my red bell peppers didn't do well either.
  • Options
    the watermelon was so good!!!

my garden is done for the season as well. interesting, my red bell peppers didn't do well either.

i don't think we have ever actually gotten a red bell pepper off any of our plants, any year, for the reasons i listed. i think finally we may've learned that lesson, and will simply stop growing them. now all the spicy peppers do wonderfully well, b/c bugs apparently don't like spicy peppers, but they love the sweet peppers such as the red, orange and yellow bells. i probably have 5 peppers on my bell plants still, and guaranteed, when they start to turn red or orange, they will be ruined by bugs immediately. eh well....thankfull all else does wonderfully well. it was a good garden year!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Everyone's booty looks fantastic!!! I love looking at the progression of this thread from the beginning until now :D

We are still going, though thinned out a bunch. I have a funny...well not soo funny story :oops: We picked up a yellow pepper from a local grower and the markers must have gotten mixed up- they are the hottest peppers I have ever had- I scooped the seed out to make a pepper jelly and my nail beds stung for hours!
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    embrace wrote:
    Everyone's booty looks fantastic!!! I love looking at the progression of this thread from the beginning until now :D

We are still going, though thinned out a bunch. I have a funny...well not soo funny story :oops: We picked up a yellow pepper from a local grower and the markers must have gotten mixed up- they are the hottest peppers I have ever had- I scooped the seed out to make a pepper jelly and my nail beds stung for hours!

i never got around to posting pics of my bounty..... :oops: hahaha.
    i still have not even organized my pics from baltimore either. i have just been utterly lazy with all my photos this year, period.

that said, wow.....still growing? well, i guess you ARE south of me, but i didn't realize it made such a difference. our garden is pretty much kaput. think we'll pull the last of the stragglers out this weekend and put them in the composter.

and....making pepper jelly? you are one of those renaissance women....career, wife/mother...domestic goddess....aren't ya? ;) impressive! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    How have I missed this thread until now!?

12 pages to catch up on, back soon...
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Hah...its the root veggies that are still in the ground- so technically the fall bounty- sweet potatoes, carrots (few left) peppers (even the HOT ones) and the pumpkins are still flowering, but I think we have picked all of them for the season. Raspberries and ground cherries are hanging on as well but I have got to harvest everything.

As for the renaissance- hardly, but I better put all my years in the kitchen to use or I'll lose it right???

Would love to see your pics- if you get around to uploading! I'll work on mine too- ;)

Hope to see you in Philly!

embrace wrote:

i never got around to posting pics of my bounty..... :oops: hahaha.
    i still have not even organized my pics from baltimore either. i have just been utterly lazy with all my photos this year, period.

that said, wow.....still growing? well, i guess you ARE south of me, but i didn't realize it made such a difference. our garden is pretty much kaput. think we'll pull the last of the stragglers out this weekend and put them in the composter.

and....making pepper jelly? you are one of those renaissance women....career, wife/mother...domestic goddess....aren't ya? ;) impressive! :mrgreen:
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    embrace wrote:
    Hah...its the root veggies that are still in the ground- so technically the fall bounty- sweet potatoes, carrots (few left) peppers (even the HOT ones) and the pumpkins are still flowering, but I think we have picked all of them for the season. Raspberries and ground cherries are hanging on as well but I have got to harvest everything.

aha, yes. you have a much bigger garden than i do, so far more variety. i'll take some raspberries and sweet potatoes. 8-) i do still have peppers growing, forgot about them...as well as some herbs, but the big beds are all done for. just need to pull out the tomato plants.

embrace wrote:
    As for the renaissance- hardly, but I better put all my years in the kitchen to use or I'll lose it right???

perhaps you trained as a chef at some point? i have no time in the kitchen at all, let alone years! so yea....hahaha. that's all on hubby. i just grow the stuff.

embrace wrote:
    Would love to see your pics- if you get around to uploading! I'll work on mine too- ;)

maybe before the holidays...give this thread a bit of a revival with pics! :lol:

embrace wrote:
    Hope to see you in Philly!

me too!
    10.30 and 10.31....i'll be there!
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    Ok, very impressed by the gardens, produce and photos. Also ever so slightly envious of the weather.

Would love to grow some of the stuff you guys have been growing. Love that pond!!
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I'm reviving this thread after finding a nice surprise in my garden.

These plants are hellebores (Lenten Rose). A week and a half ago they were covered with more than a foot of snow. They look kind of ratty right now.

DSC05316.jpg

When I got up close to them I was very surprised to see that they were full of buds and even a few blooms!

DSC05318.jpg

DSC05322.jpg

DSC05320.jpg

DSC05325.jpg

DSC05326.jpg

Temps in the 30s and below freezing at night, but flowers in the dead of winter! :clap:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I didn't even know this thread existed. I got into gardening a few years ago. I have four large hibiscus plants in pots that bloom fantastic flowers in the summertime and stay dormant in my front window in the wintertime. My babies. Here in New England, they can't be left outside unless overnight lows are 50 or better, so they need a few more months in the house.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    in the garden! :D

since we seemed to turn justam's avatar thread into a gardening thread, let's move the convo here and discuss anything and everything desired about gardening, plants, flowers....what you love, tips and tricks....whatever!

living in zone 7, not quite temperate enough here to start digging in the dirt, yet. my daffodils and muscari are bursting to bloom - i've given up on tulips b/c the squirrels just love them TOO much and i end up with beheaded tulips that are far more befitting the adams family garden. :P

anxiously awaiting may 15th when i can plant up all my flower boxes, pots, hanging baskets....put some extra shots of color in the garden....and start our veggie garden! LOVE the fresh produce we get bureid in at the end of the summer....and most especially all the yummy things hubby makes with the bounty!

for a good tip:
    in containers and the like:
    for really large containers, i add crushed soda cans at the bottom to take up space, use less soil and keep em lighter. also, i swear by hydromats - which i purchase the gardener's supply catalog - that 'hold on' to extra water so you water less, and your plants don't dry out and stay healthy!

Those cans in the bottom mainly help drainage, which prevents root rot. I use a variety of things like other broken pots, or rocks and stones. Whatever will aid in drainage and not allow water to just sit in the bottom.
    We just got a foot of snow yesterday. I don't plant flowers until the thrid week in May also. We still get some frost up til then.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    My shuttle bus driver to the airport last week told me a great website to get seeds if you are involved in any community education gardening/school teaching.

A quick google search: Herman's Garden. A great website with a sweet backstory as well.

We talked about the poor quality of our tomatoes last year, and he blamed the Chemtrails... any other (less wacky) theories so I can get some better ones this year?
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    My shuttle bus driver to the airport last week told me a great website to get seeds if you are involved in any community education gardening/school teaching.

A quick google search: Herman's Garden. A great website with a sweet backstory as well.

We talked about the poor quality of our tomatoes last year, and he blamed the Chemtrails... any other (less wacky) theories so I can get some better ones this year?
    Thanks for the source!
    Here's a gardening forum that I belong to: http://davesgarden.com/aboutus/tour/
    It also offers seed/plant exchanges for home gardeners, along with tons of reference information and links to all kinds of web sites. Also lots of gardening blogs and forums.
    I picked up a great new term for myself here: Master Yardener. If you've got a yard and you're trying to master it, you qualify. :mrgreen:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I'm reviving this thread after finding a nice surprise in my garden.

These plants are hellebores (Lenten Rose). A week and a half ago they were covered with more than a foot of snow. They look kind of ratty right now.

DSC05316.jpg

When I got up close to them I was very surprised to see that they were full of buds and even a few blooms!

DSC05318.jpg

DSC05322.jpg

DSC05320.jpg

DSC05325.jpg

DSC05326.jpg

Temps in the 30s and below freezing at night, but flowers in the dead of winter! :clap:

absolutely gorgeous princess - thanks for the thread revival!
    was just thinking if this thread today, getting the spring fever! i still have not uploaded any of my end of summer garden pics from last season on photobucket....but perhaps this weekend i'll finally get to organizing my past 2 years digital pics, the last of my big 'organizing' tasks this late winter and share a few here to get excited about the garden to come!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    in the garden! :D

since we seemed to turn justam's avatar thread into a gardening thread, let's move the convo here and discuss anything and everything desired about gardening, plants, flowers....what you love, tips and tricks....whatever!

living in zone 7, not quite temperate enough here to start digging in the dirt, yet. my daffodils and muscari are bursting to bloom - i've given up on tulips b/c the squirrels just love them TOO much and i end up with beheaded tulips that are far more befitting the adams family garden. :P

anxiously awaiting may 15th when i can plant up all my flower boxes, pots, hanging baskets....put some extra shots of color in the garden....and start our veggie garden! LOVE the fresh produce we get bureid in at the end of the summer....and most especially all the yummy things hubby makes with the bounty!

for a good tip:
    in containers and the like:
    for really large containers, i add crushed soda cans at the bottom to take up space, use less soil and keep em lighter. also, i swear by hydromats - which i purchase the gardener's supply catalog - that 'hold on' to extra water so you water less, and your plants don't dry out and stay healthy!

Those cans in the bottom mainly help drainage, which prevents root rot. I use a variety of things like other broken pots, or rocks and stones. Whatever will aid in drainage and not allow water to just sit in the bottom.
    We just got a foot of snow yesterday. I don't plant flowers until the thrid week in May also. We still get some frost up til then.

yes of course, but they also make the pots a LOT lighter, and save on potting soil...all win-win for moving pots around and keeping some $$$ in your wallet! i use the rocks, broken pots too...but definitely heavier that way. packing peanuts are also good to use, keep em light and recycle. :)

and we got at least a foot on thursday, so yea......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...