Options

let's talk dirt...

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    My shuttle bus driver to the airport last week told me a great website to get seeds if you are involved in any community education gardening/school teaching.

A quick google search: Herman's Garden. A great website with a sweet backstory as well.

We talked about the poor quality of our tomatoes last year, and he blamed the Chemtrails... any other (less wacky) theories so I can get some better ones this year?
    Thanks for the source!
    Here's a gardening forum that I belong to: http://davesgarden.com/aboutus/tour/
    It also offers seed/plant exchanges for home gardeners, along with tons of reference information and links to all kinds of web sites. Also lots of gardening blogs and forums.
    I picked up a great new term for myself here: Master Yardener. If you've got a yard and you're trying to master it, you qualify. :mrgreen:

:thumbup:
    love it!
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    my daffodils have started to bloom!
    :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    my daffodils have started to bloom!
    :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Mine too!! I just went outside :) Finishing the pea loom this weekend- and the fence...I love bunnies but not munching on my lettuce!
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    Soo busy in the garden haven't finished my KC review. I'm so proud of Starbucks right now, they are saving their used grounds and putting them near the counter for free! Grounds are so good for the plants directly or in the compost bins and I just recently learned that Epsom Salt is another good soil additive. Happy Digging !!
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

• Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    "You go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what? So some pimply little puke can treat you like dirt because you're not on the team. Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff." -- Moe Szyslak
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Just got my first Hibiscus flower of the year. My babies took a beating this winter, but they've finally turned the corner!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Just got my first Hibiscus flower of the year. My babies took a beating this winter, but they've finally turned the corner!
    "Hi! Biscus!" :lol: These are beauts :D

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I was thinking about this thread yesterday! Good to see it again. :wave:

I have pictures to post of all the flowers blooming in my garden. But I've been so tired every night I never get to them. I'll try to do better. :problem: :oops: :shifty:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    DSC02552.jpg
    DSC02551.jpg
    DSC02549.jpg
    DSC02547.jpg
    DSC02546.jpg
    DSC02545.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    How cool....I wondered if there was a thread like this here and KABLAM here it is! :lol:

I will have to post some pics of my vegie patch. I made it deeper this year so it has lots of layers of good stuff in it for my plants. Mr K and I have planted strawberries, cos lettuce, lots of mixed fancy lettuce, chives, spring onions, bok choy, pak choy, broccoli, zuccini, roma tomatoes, cherry tomotoes, basil, oregano, carrots, parsley and a heaps of other stuff I can't remember at the moment. And we made our own worm farm out of mainly recycled materials. So we have lots of happy, healthy worms too and soon we should get some lovely worm wee fertiliser to boost our vegie patch!

P12-04-10_1547.jpgP09-04-10_125201.jpgP09-04-10_1252.jpgP12-04-10_1549.jpgP12-04-10_1548.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    embrace wrote:
    Soo busy in the garden haven't finished my KC review. I'm so proud of Starbucks right now, they are saving their used grounds and putting them near the counter for free! Grounds are so good for the plants directly or in the compost bins and I just recently learned that Epsom Salt is another good soil additive. Happy Digging !!

Yeah I saw that last time I walked past a starbucks... we don't have many around here, they shut down a shitload of them about 2years ago. But stuff for the garden is even better when it's free! :D
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    DSC02552.jpg
    DSC02551.jpg
    DSC02549.jpg
    DSC02547.jpg
    DSC02546.jpg
    DSC02545.jpg
    Looks so pretty and restful. :thumbup:
  • Options
    How cool....I wondered if there was a thread like this here and KABLAM here it is! :lol:

I will have to post some pics of my vegie patch. I made it deeper this year so it has lots of layers of good stuff in it for my plants. Mr K and I have planted strawberries, cos lettuce, lots of mixed fancy lettuce, chives, spring onions, bok choy, pak choy, broccoli, zuccini, roma tomatoes, cherry tomotoes, basil, oregano, carrots, parsley and a heaps of other stuff I can't remember at the moment. And we made our own worm farm out of mainly recycled materials. So we have lots of happy, healthy worms too and soon we should get some lovely worm wee fertiliser to boost our vegie patch!

P12-04-10_1547.jpgP09-04-10_125201.jpgP09-04-10_1252.jpgP12-04-10_1549.jpgP12-04-10_1548.jpg

ooooooooooo...someone new posting!
    yay!
    awesome pics!

pjaddicted - i especially LOVE the fern walk up to the door. you know we both share a passion for ferns. :geek:

soooooooo...got the garden all DONE this weekend!
    well ok, nothing is ever really *done*...but my seasonal plantings are in. annuals, few new perennials, veggies and herbs. all hanging baskets, window boxes, containers and pots...all set! i plan on top dressing a few beds with some fresh pine nuggets, otherwise, all planting and mulching.....DONE! :mrgreen: now if it would only be a bit warmer and sunny instead of all this rain :| might actually get to enjoy it.

also, very proud of myself, getting better and better at guesstimating, and more importantly - sticking to, a garden budget. granted, we are rather generous with our annual garden budget, but i usually break the bank in any case. :oops: so quite pleased that i estimated our costs within $10....and stuck to it! beyond the garden plants and mulches tho - we did have to spend a small fortune in metal fencing for ALL our garden beds b/c mr. igby just wreaks havoc in the beds, crushing plants. also one of our neighbors has TWO pitbulls, and when they are outside igby thinks he's a bad-ass and barks like a lunatic, jumps on the fence that divides our property, etc. not cool - recipe for disaster. so, the garden bed fencing protects him from reaching the wood fence and does cut down a wee bit on the barking, and most importantly...saves my plants. igby and chloe nearly trampled to death my daylily spot - one of the very few good spots that came with the house and thus we kept - but i am happy to say it came back and then some this year - sooooo happy!

one other good thing, about 3 years ago i was working at smith & hawken, which is akin to a crackwhore working for a crackpimp :lol: but none the less...got a LOT of awesome stuff while i worked there. one of the last things i bought was this gorgeous - now discontinued - metal arbor. we intended to put it out front where we presently have a weather cedar arbor, but never got around to it. good thing! it has worked it's way into the back yard, and it makes an awesome *entrance* to the garden, and also, again, keeps the dogs away from the wood fence and possible pitbull injury. it looks fantastic, and i planted honeysuckle to grow up the sides. 8-)

i have yet to take any pics...but i WILL! and i will definitely try and post!
    (and yes i realize, i said that last year....and never did get around to posting my last summer garden pics. oops. i'll do better this year, i will. ;))

sooooooooo...things i planted:

annuals - usual mix of impatiens, new guinea impatiens and double impatiens. all for shots of color in containers, hanging baskets and windowboxes...along with some lime sweet potato vine in the windowboxes. i forgot the yellow marigolds in the veggie beds!

perennials - 3 honeysuckle vines and 3 pink hydrangeas.
    2 buttercup english ivies (to replace some death on a couple of topiaries)

herbs -
    2 varieties basil
    3 cilantro
    1 oregano
    1 mint - in addition to what came back from last year
    1 rosemary
    1 italian parsley
    (lemon balm and lavender all came back, along with strawberries - yay!)

veggies -
    6 roma tomatoes
    2 cucumbers
    1 zucchini
    2 varieties eggplant
    1 sweet frying pepper
    1 jalapeno
    1 habanero
    1 mariachi pepper
    1 thai hot pepper
    1 sweet pea
    (mr. dream will start the yellow squash from seed)

think that's it!
    if it's nice saturday i shall lay some mulch and hopefully snap some pics....and maybe, just maybe...i'll get em uploaded before the end of summer 8-) )
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    edited May 2010
    Somewhat green with envy (or maybe it's all the gardening) with the space and weather a lot of you seem to have. Some great looking spaces posted.

Our son is 16 months old and is just starting to walk, so he's loving the garden at the moment (when the weather permits) http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WQ5KMm-kQDv9cJoXrc-nVw?feat=directlink. That's him on my allotment looking for fish in my wildlife pond - I didn't have the heart to tell him there are none.

This season has been chaos with late frosts and adverse weather - it's only just starting to warm up this week apparently.

Garden is starting to come together - I've planted out the sweetpeas (and attempted to tackled the bindweed in amongst them), various plants are coming through good and strong now - Astilbe and Busy Lizzie. Tulips are all starting to turn now. Peonies in the posts and a number of Alliums budding nicely. My Viburnum is in danger of shading out the greenhouse. Pleased that the Foxgloves, Giant Daisies and Nasturtiums are growing big and strong. I think the squirrels have taken most of my lillies and the red hot pokers look like they might be shaded out again so I might have to move them.

On the plot: 20 Martock Braod Beans are growing well, and around 10 Crimson Flowered are about 6 inches tall now. 30 or so Stephens Peas (self saved) are in, and starting to take hold of the supports, along with 10 each of two other Heritage varieties.

I also have Swiss Chard, Beetroot and dill currently growing.

Of the 5 varieties of potatoes I have growing, I'm fearful that I've lost my Kestrels to frost. The others are later varieties and seem to yet be poking through the soil - so should still be ok.

I've harvested so much rhubarb and eaten several crumbles, made rhubarb bellinis and rhubarb flapjacks (though the recipe needs tweaking). I currently having some rhubarb schnapps "mashing" in the study and a jar of rhubarb chutney maturing in the kitchen.

Raspberries will hopefully fruit this year after I mistakenly cut them all (both autumn and summer fruiting) back last autumn.

The Dublin Bay rose I planted on the plot seem happy enough and is growing well up the rose arch.

Sweetcorn has germinated in the propagator and I also have some courgettes and patty pans showing their true leaves in the greenhouse (will hopefully move them out over the next week or two). Some spinach beet, celeriac, oregano, parsley (flat leaf) and rosemary all need to be transplanted, but they'll have to wait. White Apache runner beans and the chillies (Twilight and another variety I've forgotten the name of) are yet to germinate, but I'm hoping the warmer weather will sort that out.

Still loads to do.

Oh, and I forgot the carrots.

Trouble is, this time of year everything grows - including the weeds!
    Post edited by HeyWayne on
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • Options
    wow - what a cutie! ^^^
    :D

sounds like you have a far more ambitious garden than i do - thus why it's easier for me to be done!
    we had an utterly gorgeous weekend, so i was able to fully enjoy the fruits of my labor, i spent the entire weekend out in the garden. spent some time in the hammock, then some on the porch swing, then some more time in the adirondack chairs....yea....was a good weekend. 8-) we trimmed most of our shrubs and i top-dressed most of the garden beds with fresh mulch. that was the extent of 'work' over the weekend. i didn't take any photos yet, maybe next weekend!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Quick question;

I've had a Buddleia in a pot for about 5 years and I transferred it to a bigger pot yesterday and I'm completely paranoid it's going to die now :( . Put fresh soil in etc. Anyone have any ideas how I can make sure it's carries on being ok?
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    Quick question;

I've had a Buddleia in a pot for about 5 years and I transferred it to a bigger pot yesterday and I'm completely paranoid it's going to die now :( . Put fresh soil in etc. Anyone have any ideas how I can make sure it's carries on being ok?

it should be just fine!
    make sure it has proper drainage, and continue to care for it as you have been these past 5 years, and also same light location, and it should thrive. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Claireack wrote:
    Quick question;

it should be just fine!
    make sure it has proper drainage, and continue to care for it as you have been these past 5 years, and also same light location, and it should thrive. :)

Just what I needed to hear! It's back in the same place but just in a bigger pot so hopefully it will continue to be happy and thrive :D
  • Options
    HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    I'd probably add a bit of feed in the pot too - just to help it settle.

Nothing like a good feed to settle you in a place is there?
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    HeyWayne wrote:
    I'd probably add a bit of feed in the pot too - just to help it settle.

Nothing like a good feed to settle you in a place is there?

so true.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I shouldn't be on here but will stay to pick up some tips. I am the "Jack the Ripper" of gardening. If it grows I manage to kill it. I've even taken my gardening ineptitude to my neighbours front garden. She sadly lost her husband of 59 years a month ago so i now cut her grass for her. I had the mower set at too low a level and scalped a patch through the middle of her lawn. It looks like it has a mohican.

And she is really proud of her garden. She said it didn't matter but I think her expression said wanker. :oops:
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    I shouldn't be on here but will stay to pick up some tips. I am the "Jack the Ripper" of gardening. If it grows I manage to kill it. I've even taken my gardening ineptitude to my neighbours front garden. She sadly lost her husband of 59 years a month ago so i now cut her grass for her. I had the mower set at too low a level and scalped a patch through the middle of her lawn. It looks like it has a mohican.

And she is really proud of her garden. She said it didn't matter but I think her expression said wanker. :oops:

OMG...that is so sad and funny at the same time... :oops:
    luckily, it's just grass and it will grow back!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    D2d, where are the pictures of your garden this year?
    Have you started getting outside?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    D2d, where are the pictures of your garden this year?
    Have you started getting outside?

read back a few posts....:lol:
    garden is DONE, well as "done" as a garden ever is year to year.
    i just haven't snapped any pics yet. :oops:

but i will.
    and i will upload em too.
    honest.
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    jane's veggie thread reminded me, haven't posted here in a while!

firstly, ALL the yellow squash seeds have grown! :shock: yay!
    and yes, i DID take pics of everything, but alas....as always...have yet to upload em.
    the entire garden is doing soooo well.....veggies, flowers, everything. LOVE this time of year.

so get planting, growing, snapping some pics...and we ALL shall post!
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    These plants are returning after they were frozen in January. I'm so happy they are recovering. I chopped them way back but now they seem healthy again.

100_5331.jpg

100_5330.jpg

100_5321.jpg
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    a few zucchini in my garden.
    DSCN3928.jpg
    DSCN3929.jpg
  • Options
    a few zucchini in my garden.
    DSCN3928.jpg
    DSCN3929.jpg
    Looks yummy! :mrgreen:

That's what I love about squash, so easy to grow (unless the vine borers show up) and such plentiful rewards!
    Unfortunately my prince won't eat zucchini. :(
  • Options
    JzPJzP Posts: 931
    Just found this thread and am very pleased :D Growing is very important to me and nothing feels better in this world than eating what you grow. I have been working on some plots at my house for a couple of years now, we're getting there. :D So far I got an herb circle for my wife, a couple of beds for veggies, some trellised beds on a south facing slope for melons, and a bed of asparagus (which I will be able to harvest a lil this year!) as well as a cold frame. And I still want to do so much more. This year because of the surplus of seeds we have we decided to do a ton of starts for friends and to sell... Still too cold to put in the ground yet. Here's a pic of what's going on...

IMG01676.jpg
    ~JzP