Options

~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    yea but....seriously...the hair growing between the pads of his feet? :shock:
    really should trim that stuff!
    :lol:

that used to happen to my old doggie sinead, and i used to cut it regularly. easy.

when it comes to him and hair, the feet is the least of my concern. :lol: we trim up in the spring and easily fill a grocery bag with hair. he looks 5lbs lighter after we do that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    81 wrote:
    yea but....seriously...the hair growing between the pads of his feet? :shock:
    really should trim that stuff!
    :lol:

that used to happen to my old doggie sinead, and i used to cut it regularly. easy.

when it comes to him and hair, the feet is the least of my concern. :lol: we trim up in the spring and easily fill a grocery bag with hair. he looks 5lbs lighter after we do that.

none the less...;)
    does he use a litter box?
    if so.....big eeeewwwww factor with those fluffy feet!
    trim those fuckers regularly!
    :twisted:

:mrgreen:
    that's all i'm sayin'...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8468803.stm

Temple to cat god found in Egypt
    Tuesday, 19 January 2010

'Archaeologists in Egypt have discovered a 2,000-year-old temple in Alexandria dedicated to a cat goddess.

The temple is the first trace of the royal quarters of the Ptolemaic dynasty to be revealed in Alexandria.

The find confirms the Greek dynasty of Egyptians continued the worship of ancient animal deities.

Many more ruins of the ancient capital of Hellenic Egypt lie preserved under the modern city, yet to be unearthed, archaeologists say.

The temple, discovered in the Kom el-Dekkah neighbourhood of the city, is believed to belong to Queen Berenike II, wife of Ptolemy III who ruled Egypt in the third century BC, Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities has said.

The Greek-speaking Ptolemaic dynasty ruled Egypt for almost almost 300 years, after the foundation of the city by Alexander the Great in 305BC until Queen Cleopatra was ousted by the Romans.

The temple is 60m (200ft) high and 15m (50ft) wide.

Archaeologists found statues of Bastet, worshipped by the Greek-speaking Egyptians as the moon goddess.

For thousands of years the Egyptian Pharaohs believed Bastet was a lion-headed goddess, a relative of the sun-god Ra and a ferocious protector.

But her influence waned as the Pharaohs declined, and the Hellenistic Egyptians resurrected her as the equivalent of the ancient Greek deity Artemis.

Other artefacts were also discovered in the dig, including pots, a Roman water cistern, and the granite statue of a senior official dating from between 205BC to 222BC.

Modern-day Alexandria was built directly on top of the ancient city, and archaeologists say ruins of whole cities, palaces and ships remain to be discovered.

The Ptolemaic kings of Egypt were descended from Ptolemy, one of Alexander the Great's most trusted generals during his conquests of Egypt, Persia and his attack on India.

After Alexander's death, Ptolemy returned to Alexandria to become king and his descendants ruled until the Roman leader Octavian - who later became Emperor Augustus - defeated Cleopatra, the last of the Ptolemaic line.

Leading Egyptian archaeologist Zahi Hawass said the temple may have been used as a quarry in later years, as there are a large number of missing blocks.
  • Options
    My kittyboy is poorly :(

Yesterday morning he started being funny with his food, he'll crunch his biscuits up and then spit them out. It's like he's struggling to eat. We've given him wet food but he's just eating tiny morsels, licking some gravy off and then leaving it. He seems ok in himself, he's happy enough and isn't lathargic at all. I think it may be a dental problem but we looked in his mouth and everything looks fine, his gums aren't inflamed or red and his teeth aren't broken... we don't know what to do :(

If he's no better in the next 24 hours, he's going to the vet-man. In the meantime, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    A little sore throat? Does he go out and have the opportunity to catch and eat mice or birds? A bit of bone scratched his thoat maybe? Happened to one of my cats. Maybe even a bigger and sharpish bit of crunchies could do that. He's not coughing like he needs to dislodge anything, is he? Not sure if you can manage a look down his throat to see if there's anything there. As long as he drinks Sian.... If he's still not really eating, do have him checked out, but if he's happy in himself, it's a good sign that it's nothing serious.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    A little sore throat? Does he go out and have the opportunity to catch and eat mice or birds? A bit of bone scratched his thoat maybe? Happened to one of my cats. Maybe even a bigger and sharpish bit of crunchies could do that. He's not coughing like he needs to dislodge anything, is he? Not sure if you can manage a look down his throat to see if there's anything there. As long as he drinks Sian.... If he's still not really eating, do have him checked out, but if he's happy in himself, it's a good sign that it's nothing serious.

Thanks Rita :) He's not coughing or retching so I assume it's not a furball. We gave him some watered down milk last night and he seemed to really enjoy that, he even hoarsely mieowed afterward, but he just won't eat anything substantial. I'm going to see if I can get a torch and look down his throat tonight. If it is a sore throat or a scratch, how long do I give it before I get worried and take him to the vet-man? :?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    If it is a sore throat or a scratch, how long do I give it before I get worried and take him to the vet-man? :?

I wouldn't want to say, Sian. When it happened to Dookie, I called the vet who said to give it a couple of days as he did not have a temperature and he was drinking and licking up anything liquid along with the gravy of the soft food. Also, like yours, he was his 'normal self'. She knows Dookie likes to crunch mice and birds so she figured a scratch. The next day he was back to stuffing his face.

But you know your kitty. If it were mine, I would just keep an eye on him - as long as he is his usual self.....
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    If it is a sore throat or a scratch, how long do I give it before I get worried and take him to the vet-man? :?

I wouldn't want to say, Sian. When it happened to Dookie, I called the vet who said to give it a couple of days as he did not have a temperature and he was drinking and licking up anything liquid along with the gravy of the soft food. Also, like yours, he was his 'normal self'. She knows Dookie likes to crunch mice and birds so she figured a scratch. The next day he was back to stuffing his face.

But you know your kitty. If it were mine, I would just keep an eye on him - as long as he is his usual self.....

Well I just spoke to the vet and they asked how long it'd been like this, I said about two days and she said to bring him in for a check over. We're gonna take him this afternoon... It's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your advice Rita, it's put my mind at ease a bit... I was a wreck this morning! :lol: :oops:

• Options
    Well I just spoke to the vet and they asked how long it'd been like this, I said about two days and she said to bring him in for a check over. We're gonna take him this afternoon... It's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your advice Rita, it's put my mind at ease a bit... I was a wreck this morning! :lol: :oops:

Betcha that when you get home he'll be eating normally!!!! ;) Cats.... :roll:

Hope he'll be fine.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Betcha that when you get home he'll be eating normally!!!! ;) Cats.... :roll:

Hope he'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong, we're giving him a bowl of crunchies incase he feels like eating them BEFORE we go to the vets! :lol:

Thanks, I'll keep you posted :)

• Options
    Which kitty is it?
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Which kitty is it?

My little black baby, Sykes :(

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    redrock wrote:
    Which kitty is it?

Don't worry Sian, he'll be fine!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Which kitty is it?

:(... but he looks like a tough boy. Then again... Jet looks like a tough boy but he's a big girl's blouse.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    Which kitty is it?

:(... but he looks like a tough boy. Then again... Jet looks like a tough boy but he's a big girl's blouse.

Oh he's a right little bruiser... but he's also a Mummy's boy who loves attention :roll:

He's a tough cookie, i'm just worried about him cuz he's one of my babies :oops:

(thanks Rygar :thumbup: )

• Options

He's a tough cookie, i'm just worried about him cuz he's one of my babies :oops:

They're all our little babies (even if one of mine is nearly 20... still my baby!)
  • Options
    Right, Sykes went to the vets and everything went well. She looked him over, looked in his mouth, took his temp and had a general poke around and found...

absolutely bugger all wrong with him! :lol:

She thinks he may have a sore throat or scratched it so he was given an anti-inflammatory and pain killing injection. We have to feed him wet food and slowly introduce his crunchies again when he's back to normal... However, if there's no improvement by Friday, he has to go in for a general aneasthetic, x-ray and in-depth dental investigation.

He came home and wolfed down a full sachet of wet food... Looks like the drugs are working then :roll:

Here's hoping we don't have to go back on Friday *crosses everything*

• Options
    Right, Sykes went to the vets and everything went well. She looked him over, looked in his mouth, took his temp and had a general poke around and found...

She thinks he may have a sore throat or scratched it so he was given an anti-inflammatory and pain killing injection. We have to feed him wet food and slowly introduce his crunchies again when he's back to normal... However, if there's no improvement by Friday, he has to go in for a general aneasthetic, x-ray and in-depth dental investigation.

He came home and wolfed down a full sachet of wet food... Looks like the drugs are working then :roll:

excellent news!
    :)

btw - hope you had a totally fab birthday!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i don't know if anybody here has ever used Banfield the pet hospital, but it's my advice that you never use there service. they love to due test after test and bill for shit left and right.

this pissed me off so bad that i ended putting a stop payment on a fairly hefty check.

you have been warned...and if you need more proof than mine, do a search for them on yahoo local and see all the negative reviews.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options

I think Dookie spoke to him and told him how to fake it.... What it is, he really wants wet food and is fed up with crunchies!

He will be fine by Friday.
  • Options
    We woke up this morning to laminate floor covered in sick and a cat that won't/can't eat :cry:

• Options
    We woke up this morning to laminate floor covered in sick and a cat that won't/can't eat :cry:

Oh no! Does he have a temperature? Not to be gross, but what was the sick like? Chunky? Watery? Brown/clear? Is he lethargic?

Try to make sure he is drinking.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Oh no! Does he have a temperature? Not to be gross, but what was the sick like? Chunky? Watery? Brown/clear? Is he lethargic?

Try to make sure he is drinking.

He is... lots.

Apparently the sick was his wet food and water... which suggests it hadn't been digested. He didn't have a temperature when he went to the vets last night but his ears were hot this morning.

• Options
    Same conversation in two different places is getting confusing! See how he is when you get home from work later and tomorrow morning. xxxx
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Same conversation in two different places is getting confusing! See how he is when you get home from work later and tomorrow morning. xxxx

LOL I was just thinking that!

Thanks for all your support :) xxx

• Options

oh no!
    :(

hope he'll be ok!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    How's Sykes?
  • Options
    He's currently in surgery.

The vet said there was something of some concern in his abdomen, a build up of gas and thickened lining are showing up on the x-ray but no actual foreign bodies. They're going to have a look and see if they can get to the bottom of it... I just really hope they don't find a tumour or something... Is it weird that I'm actually hoping for a foreign object? :cry:

One thing that was funny though, the vet has obviously completely fallen in love with him (she's a real kitty lover) She said he was so smoochy with his pre-med that she and a nurse were literally cooing over him as he rolled about, grabbed their hands, pulled for fusses and purred ike a tractor... he's smoochy at the best of times but it sounds like the drugs just turned him into a fuss-whore :roll: :lol:

• Options
    What a tart! :lol:

In a human a thickening of the lining of the stomach can be soooooo many different things. Not sure about kitties. Sykes doesn't seem in pain or distressed (except maybe hungry) - a good sign?

When are they going for their 'look see'?
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    What a tart! :lol:

In a human a thickening of the lining of the stomach can be soooooo many different things. Not sure about kitties. Sykes doesn't seem in pain or distressed (except maybe hungry) - a good sign?

When are they going for their 'look see'?

They've done it.

There was nothing foreign in there and no tumours. Thank god.

However, one of his lymph nodes was rather swollen so they've taken a biopsy to make sure it's ok. They're testing him for leukemia but she said it's unlikely as more of his nodes would be swollen; it's a case of ruling things out really.
    The vet (who has been absolutely brilliant, I might add) has said that he may have swollowed something, it's taken a few days of discomfort to pass it through and now it's gone (he had a poo last night for the first time since Monday night). As a result the lymph node has swollen and is in the process of getting smaller. Another possibilty is a digestive virus that's made him feel under the weather and swollen his node... both are possible and if it's either he should improve.
    He's being sent home with gastric medication to ease any digestive discomfort and to stop him vomiting. This is purely precautionary.
    We should get the results from his biopsy on Friday next week.

I'm hoping to pick him up this afternoon, but depending on how he comes round from the aneasthetic, it may be tomorrow morning.