Options

~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

That black one (Dookie is it) looks exactly like my cat.

The black one is Jet. He's a big fluffy boy - especially when he has his winter coat!
  • Options
    Incidentally, I meant to tell you eMMI, I got the Simon's Cat book for Christmas! :mrgreen:

I got it for my Dad (though I will admit that I flicked through it before sending it to him :oops: )
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

That black one (Dookie is it) looks exactly like my cat.

The black one is Jet. He's a big fluffy boy - especially when he has his winter coat!

Is she persian?
  • Options
    Is she persian?

Nope. He's just a beautiful, long-haired moggy! Got him from an animal shelter. It would seem his mama was like him. Father was 'unknown' but since all four kittens looked like Jet, it's assumed Daddy was similar. He's a big girl's blouse though...just like my other male!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Is she persian?

Nope. He's just a beautiful, long-haired moggy! Got him from an animal shelter. It would seem his mama was like him. Father was 'unknown' but since all four kittens looked like Jet, it's assumed Daddy was similar. He's a big girl's blouse though...just like my other male!

Mine is the same. Soft as shite. ends up drooling on you every time you stoke the bugger :D
  • Options
    Mine is the same. Soft as shite. ends up drooling on you every time you stoke the bugger :D

Must be Jet's long lost brother... he drools like there's no tomorrow when you stroke him!
  • Options
    eMMI wrote:
    Incidentally, I meant to tell you eMMI, I got the Simon's Cat book for Christmas! :mrgreen:

Oh yes, I feel quite sorry for the other kitten. But luckily the cameraman/owner puts the other cup of foods next to it.

Ooh! :mrgreen: A Simon's Cat book! I'm not sure if I even knew one exists. Now I want it. :twisted: Well, not your copy of course. :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simons-Cat-Simo ... 554&sr=8-1

It's worth getting, trust me. I LOL'ed so much :mrgreen:

Rita, Dave's sister got me mine for Christmas... and yes, she too 'flicked through it' before wrapping, so I don't blame you one jot :lol:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Must be Jet's long lost brother... he drools like there's no tomorrow when you stroke him!

It's not a great picture but...

DSC00013.jpg

His name is Dax (Dunno i didn't name him)
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Awww--Dax is purty. He's not all black, is he? looks like a Torti.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    Awww--Dax is purty. He's not all black, is he? looks like a Torti.

He's all black. Just the light puts a litlle auburn tint on him.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

It's not a great picture but...

DSC00013.jpg

His name is Dax (Dunno i didn't name him)
    Dax is a great name! I'd name a cat Dax :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    the world lost one great kitty today...
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121088
    :(
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    RIP Suki.....
    sukicutie2.jpg
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    RIP Suki.....
    sukicutie2.jpg

awwwww...thanks for that. :)
    i was trying to find the pic of her with igby licking her for the doggie thread, but for some dumb reason i do not have that pic in my 'pets' file in my photobucket. :? go figure....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Lizard wrote:
    RIP Suki.....
    sukicutie2.jpg

Again, I'm sorry to hear the sad news.

She was truly a pretty thing! :)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Need some advice from y'all kitty peeps.

Butterscotch's poo has been really stinky and I thought that maybe it was his food, so I decided to change his food last week- I went from Fiskies indoor dry to Eukanuba Indoor Weight Control & Hairball Relief. Now he itches- a lot- and he has scratched himself pretty bad around his head and neck. I did not notice this until today- and its been a week of him eating this food.

I've since dumped the food, and put out a lot of fresh water. but I can't catch him to take him to the vet, what do you think I should do.
    I feel pretty bad for doing this to him.
    :cry::cry:
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    vduboise wrote:
    Need some advice from y'all kitty peeps.

Butterscotch's poo has been really stinky and I thought that maybe it was his food, so I decided to change his food last week- I went from Fiskies indoor dry to Eukanuba Indoor Weight Control & Hairball Relief. Now he itches- a lot- and he has scratched himself pretty bad around his head and neck. I did not notice this until today- and its been a week of him eating this food.

I've since dumped the food, and put out a lot of fresh water. but I can't catch him to take him to the vet, what do you think I should do.
    I feel pretty bad for doing this to him.
    :cry::cry:

I really could be a number of things.
    How old is he?
    Does he stay indoors all the time?
    Does he have blood in his urine or his stool?

I would feel him down from head to toe. Feel his skin , his fur, and beneath the skin layer. Make sure nothing feels out of the normal.

Observe him as much as you can. Does he hesitate using the box or eating food? Does he no longer clean/lick himself?

Soooooo many things....Nab him and take him to the vet!!!
  • Options
    vduboise

As mca47 said, it could be a number of things. Also, the smelly poo and the scratching could be related or not.

Smelly poos can be just because of food, can be an infection or a parasite. You don't say if your cat poos a lot or if it is runny or not. Outdoor/indoor cat (or both)? Do you de-worm/de-flea regularly? Did the poo smell get better (as much as poo smell can get better!) with the change of diet?

The scratching.... did it only start with the new food or before? If it's with the new, change immediately.

Your best bet, if you can't catch your cat, is to take a poo sample and bring it to the vet. Obviously, getting the cat to the vet would be better!
  • Options
    good advice above ^^^

also, please, please, please....in the future.....NEVER change your kitty's or doggie's food so drastically. animals are VERY sensitive to dietary changes. if one is to change foods, it should be done gradually. to start, 3/4 old food, 1/4 new....a few days to a week....then 1/2 old food to 1/2 new food....few days to a week......then 1/4 old food to 3/4 new food.....few days to a week....then, finally....make the switch to the new food.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Thanks for responding. To answer some questions:

How old is he? he is a year old
    Does he stay indoors all the time? yes he says indoors all the time
    Does he have blood in his urine or his stool? No blood in urine and stool
    Does he hesitate using the box or eating food? he does not hesitate to use the box, but he is not eating as normal. He eats, but not a lot
    Does he no longer clean/lick himself? he still cleans himself.
    You don't say if your cat poos a lot or if it is runny or not. He poos a lot. And a lot of urine. I checked this morning and it looks fine.
    Did the poo smell get better (as much as poo smell can get better!) with the change of diet? the poo smell was definitely better with the new food. I did not smell it when he went this morning- Normally he just stinks us out. That is the only plus with this cat food.
    Do you de-worm/de-flea regularly? I de-flea but have not de-wormed in while
    The scratching.... did it only start with the new food or before? The scratching started with the change in food.

I caught him last night to take a look at him- and the worst part is around his neck and by the top part of his head. I tried to brush him and his skin was very sensitive. He was not himself yesterday.

Today he is doing much better. Not so much scratching. I put out lots of water to try and flush out the bad food. And he is more energetic and he is eating the older dry food (the friskies). The change in diet definitely helped with the poo stink and I would like to try something else but now I'm afraid to do anything that could harm him again.
    He is back to being very skittish with me- and now having a very hard time catching him. Will try and get to the vet as soon as we can. Or try to find one that makes house calls.

Thanks again for responding.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Ok, kitty folks, my big fat male cat, Mr. Chuckles, recently seems to have developed some kind of hyper-sensitivity along his spine. If you pet him there, he freaks out and starts manically licking his foot. I can't tell if it causes him extreme pleasure or pain. Whatever he's feeling, he seems a distraught, but only when someone is touching his back. Seems like I can feel these litle ridges across his mid to lower back as well.

I've read about a neuroligcal disorder that seems to fit the bill, but I'm not sure. I hear this disorder can only be diagnosed by running a billion tests and eliminating other possibilities. Hommie doesn't play the vet's game like that. He seems totally normal other than that.

Any ideas?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    good advice above ^^^

also, please, please, please....in the future.....NEVER change your kitty's or doggie's food so drastically. animals are VERY sensitive to dietary changes. if one is to change foods, it should be done gradually. to start, 3/4 old food, 1/4 new....a few days to a week....then 1/2 old food to 1/2 new food....few days to a week......then 1/4 old food to 3/4 new food.....few days to a week....then, finally....make the switch to the new food.

I mixed old and new til the end of the week. I still had old food mixed in when I noticed the extreme scratching. I thought a week of integrating would work- but I now know I needed to do it a lot slower. He definitely liked the new food- but it had such a bad reaction.
  • Options
    1215091723.jpg

:) tig surfin the web
  • Options
    vduboise wrote:
    good advice above ^^^

I mixed old and new til the end of the week. I still had old food mixed in when I noticed the extreme scratching. I thought a week of integrating would work- but I now know I needed to do it a lot slower. He definitely liked the new food- but it had such a bad reaction.

yea, my hubby's done the drastic food change on our dogs and on the cat a couple times :? ....and it wreaked havor on their systems for a few days. not nice. haha. i just know the suggested 'best way' to switch is what i outlined above. some animals are more sensitive than others. i do think the scratching may not be at all related to the food change, could well be enitrely coincidental. i echo the sentiments of trying to catch your cat and getting it to the vet! that's really the only way to know wtf is going on. hope your kitty is ok.

i'm still so missing suki. :(
    every morning/evening, i have to catch myself....b/c she was always the last i said bye to out the door in the morning/first i'd say hello to coming home from work...she was just always *there*...in her little bed right in the LR, in eyeshot of the front door.

hug your kittys people! :)

eyedclaar.....i've got not a clue there. :? bizarre.
    is there any way you can just call your vet, tell the symptoms, and possibly they can give you some idea if it needs to be explored further? and yea, i know...they always want you to bring them in, yada yada. worst case scenario tho, i am sure you could bring your cat in and just get some basic tests to see it's not some life-threatening thing. after that, if it's only a comfort issue...perhaps you can do some research and get some sort of homeopathic remedy on your own. good luck!

and believe me, i hear ya.....just spent over 1k on my kitty. even her cremation bill is $207. :shock: i don't get that. an 8.7 lb kitty costs the same to cremate as a 60 lb dog. wtf? :| and, they don't even deliver the remains to you anymore, mr. dream has to go and pick her up. eh well....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    I'll post a pic of my girl today. She's a pretty little thing.

And yes Ziggy, I'm familiar with the theory of house breaking a dog. But English Bulldogs are stubborn and mildly retarded. I figured out their biggest problem though......they're English ;-)
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    1215091723.jpg

:) tig surfin the web

This should go on Icanhascheezburger.com :lol:

vduboise:

Sorry about your kitty. I would try and get him to a vet. One of my cats doesn't like to be held. When I take to her to the vet I just deal with the scratches or sometimes wear gloves and a large/baggy shirt or jacket. Yeah just seems like an allergic reaction, but like people are saying o wouldn't change his food o quickly. Luckily my cats aren't picky eaters and haven't had any allergic reactions to anything yet.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    drunkcat.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    drunkcat.jpg
    Is that your kitty? He/she has very fluffy feet!! :D
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Lizard wrote:

That's Newman. He is fluffy every where.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

That's Newman. He is fluffy every where.

yea but....seriously...the hair growing between the pads of his feet? :shock:
    really should trim that stuff!
    :lol:

that used to happen to my old doggie sinead, and i used to cut it regularly. easy.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...