~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Cute kitties! We put our old guy down in September after 19 years. Two weeks ago a facebook friend posted that he found a kitten by the side of the highway. So now we have our new kitten. His name is Tim Riley, but we call him Timmy and he's 8 weeks old. His eyes are kind of goopy, but clearing up nicely and he's packing on the pounds as if he's making up for lost time.

He's tested positive for FIV although he doesn't have any symptoms of the disease at this point. I figure he still needs somebody to love him even if he is a special needs fella, so he's part of our family now.

Does anyone know much about FIV?

i know nothing about FIV but just wanted to offer my condolences for your 19 year old kitty :(....and to say kudos to you for opening your home and heart to a special needs kitty. :thumbup:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Cute kitties! We put our old guy down in September after 19 years. Two weeks ago a facebook friend posted that he found a kitten by the side of the highway. So now we have our new kitten. His name is Tim Riley, but we call him Timmy and he's 8 weeks old. His eyes are kind of goopy, but clearing up nicely and he's packing on the pounds as if he's making up for lost time.

He's tested positive for FIV although he doesn't have any symptoms of the disease at this point. I figure he still needs somebody to love him even if he is a special needs fella, so he's part of our family now.

Does anyone know much about FIV?

I do... I used to live with two cats who had it and now my Mum lives with two who also contracted it.

FIV is a virus that leads to AIDS in cats. It's contracted through saliva entering bites or scratches. Generally the cats isn't any different apart from they suffer worse with general infections and illnesses as it is an immunodeficiency virus. Both cats I lived with were healthy plump boys and, apart from weepy eyes on one, didn't have any indications in their appearance that they were ill. Both cats went out regularly and lived well over the age of 10/12. No medication was required but the vet had to be made aware.

I have a lot of respect for people who are willing to adopt animals with illnesses like that as they're often overlooked, thank you :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Lizard wrote:

I love that kitty. I wish my cat could do tricks. The most he does, is run and hide.

I love reading about the Cats and decided to show off mine.

Here are a few of Kitty Baby. His real name is Butterscotch, but I got into the habit of calling him kitty baby and now he only responds to that. He was a rescue cat about 1-1/2 years old and he's been with us for almost a year. He is still very skittish around us and only now will he sometimes let you touch him. He must of had some kind of trama. I love him, even tho I can't hug him like I want to.

_MG_2917.jpg
    IMG00061.jpg
    IMG00060.jpg
  • vduboise wrote:

Here are a few of Kitty Baby. His real name is Butterscotch, but I got into the habit of calling him kitty baby and now he only responds to that. He was a rescue cat about 1-1/2 years old and he's been with us for almost a year. He is still very skittish around us and only now will he sometimes let you touch him. He must of had some kind of trama. I love him, even tho I can't hug him like I want to.

_MG_2917.jpg
    IMG00061.jpg
    IMG00060.jpg

he is gorgeous!
    our suki was never a very lovey cat, ever. now in her old age she is *kinda* lovey, but really....no. :lol:
    our oldest dog chloe was never lovey either - also was told she suffered a trauma as a pup, so probably had something to do with it. also had another, older dog who terrorized her :(...so that was nightmarish. now, with little iggy, chloe has opened up so much! she'll never be truly *cuddly*...but it IS amazing how much she grown in affection! so kitties....doggies....they all can learn to be more lovey, in time....lots of time....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    ah, kitty-cats. <3

I've always loved cats, and have always been around them. except for a while after I moved to my own place. but now I'm a proud "mummy" of a gorgeous girl called Nauhuri.

she's about a year old and has lived with me since July. a lovely thing, though a bit bossy. ;) loves fetching just about anything I throw - bouncey balls, toy mice, scrunched up paper.. no idea of her breed, she could be a bit of everything for all I know. :D when she moved in, she was very very dark. as months have gone by, she's been getting some blonde patches all over, especially her tummy is going light.

talking about 'light' she weighed next to nothing when I got her! :shock: she hadn't been eating well, and was throwing up what she did eat, at her old home. (long story but she didn't get along with her previous owner's boyfriend and their other cat. the other cat actually cut/chewed my girl's whiskers.) she's gotten a little weight on while here, but I can still easily lift her up with one hand. :D she's a little thing.

I could go on and on and on about her but I'll try not to. :D so here's a picture instead:

DSC03652.jpg?t=1260305601

one thing I will say - she's very hard to photograph! she'll be sitting/laying down for ages and ages but when someone picks up a camera (or phone, which is all I have at the mo) she'll start moving about. :lol:

this next pic isn't very good. (yeah, it's taken with my phone) but it shows the way she usually naps. haha.

rotko-1.jpg?t=1260305745

it seems that everywhere I move around in this flat - she follows. I go to the bathroom, she'll come too. or at the very least sit outside the door, where she can see me. when I wake up and go to the kitchen, she'll follow. which is lovely but I have to be careful not to step on her cause she'll act as if I've been away for a long time even though we've just slept on the same bed for hours. :roll: :mrgreen:

also, every time time I open the fridge, she wants to climb in. every. time.

coolcat.jpg?t=1260305819

and speaking of cats. (funnily enough!) I was visiting my folks yesterday and while there, met their new miss cat for the first time. and what a curious sight she is! :D black with bits of white. for example the very tip of her tail is white, almost looks like a small led light. :lol: her eyes are huge too. :shock: (I'd post pics but don't have any.)

Kiti (that's her name, pronounced pretty much like 'kitty') unfortunately likes to bully my family's older cat, Okko. I'm sure he'll learn to stick up to her soon. (I think he's still getting used to having another cat around after being the master of the house for a couple years.)

oh, here's a pic of Okko. he's a gorgeous thing!

HPIM4840.jpg?t=1260306268

ok, I think that's enough for one post. :lol::lol:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Emmi---both your cats look like both of mine!! Except the tortoise shell has shorter hair. I posted them early on in this thread!! and vduboise, Butterscotch is TOO cute in that 1st photo!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Lizard wrote:
    Emmi---both your cats look like both of mine!! Except the tortoise shell has shorter hair. I posted them early on in this thread!! and vduboise, Butterscotch is TOO cute in that 1st photo!!
    The photo is the day that we brought him home. Then, he was such a kitty, but recently he started looking more Catty. Aww.... he's growing up. :cry:
    Lizard wrote:

went back and looked for your kitties. :D you're right, they do look alike.

it's snowing here a little (hooray!) and a few times Nauhuri reached for the window and tried to catch the snowflakes from the other side of the glass. poor, confused little girl! :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Aww Emmi... your kitty sleeps just like my Jet and goes in the fridge just like Dookie!!!!! Must post pics of mine one day!
    redrock wrote:
    Aww Emmi... your kitty sleeps just like my Jet and goes in the fridge just like Dookie!!!!! Must post pics of mine one day!

hehe, your cats are lovely. :D

and yes! you must post pics!
  • well i posted this in the doggie thread, but it most definitely also belongs here:

iggykisses2008.jpg
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Oh damn......your kitty IS old. Awwwwwwwww
  • Lizard wrote:
    Oh damn......your kitty IS old. Awwwwwwwww

:evil:
    good thing you added the 'awwwwwwww'.....otherwise i'd have to call you a bitch again. :mrgreen:
    here she is as she spends 97% of her time nowadays...

Sukiball2009.jpg
    being 20 is rough... ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Since I managed a photo with all five, thought I would post it here. Will eventually post individual photos....

From left to right:
    Rogue and Jet on top
    Tinker (almost 20!), Dookie and Mojo on the bottom.

P1090768.jpg?t=1261512007
  • redrock wrote:

wow, quite a feat!
    and they all look awesome!
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    redrock wrote:
    Since I managed a photo with all five, thought I would post it here. Will eventually post individual photos....

From left to right:
    Rogue and Jet on top

You've almost got enough!

3068673803_1cd970b749.jpg
    redrock wrote:

From left to right:
    Rogue and Jet on top

they're all such cute little things. :D
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    The Buddy System in full effect
    b48ad95c-551b-4f09-8f1d-629b83fb4497.jpg
    9f66306e-362b-4dae-aed2-a5e755835d83.jpg

and a few others:
    bc34ab87-dcbd-4368-846a-4ea609ebaa33.jpg
    c4b56092-3f37-4392-a2b9-6e330f95d5df.jpg
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    The Buddy System in full effect
    9f66306e-362b-4dae-aed2-a5e755835d83.jpg]

I love that one. :D

here's a pic of my mum's new cat (whom I mentioned earlier), Kiti:

15538_1281810647969_1311167886_8314.jpg?t=1262693735

the picture doesn't quite show just how HUGE her eyes are. :shock: she's truly a strange thing to look at. but so cute, and an insta-purrer like Nauhuri. :lol: almost as soon as you pick her (or Nauhuri) up, the purring begins.
  • I hated cats my whole life. I never owned one but like anyone else, you're around them at friends and family homes and stuff like that.

Anyway, I saw this little female kitty in a parking lot who was starving. I took her home, fed her, and she has since become the greatest pet I've ever owned. I didn't realize that cats were that cool. Plus, you show them a litter box ONE time and they never piss or shit in your floors...like my stupid ass English Bulldog that I bought for $1000 and just fucking gave away 2 months later.

One drawback : Dogs don't climb trees. That poses a problem sometimes but I rarely ever let her out. She's a cool gal though.
    I hated cats my whole life. I never owned one but like anyone else, you're around them at friends and family homes and stuff like that.

Anyway, I saw this little female kitty in a parking lot who was starving. I took her home, fed her, and she has since become the greatest pet I've ever owned. I didn't realize that cats were that cool. Plus, you show them a litter box ONE time and they never piss or shit in your floors...like my stupid ass English Bulldog that I bought for $1000 and just fucking gave away 2 months later.

One drawback : Dogs don't climb trees. That poses a problem sometimes but I rarely ever let her out. She's a cool gal though.
    That's nice.
    Post a pic!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Lizard wrote:
    I hated cats my whole life. I never owned one but like anyone else, you're around them at friends and family homes and stuff like that.

That's nice.
    Post a pic!!

and a name :D

also eMMI cute cat. she looks young.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Yes, eMMI, Kiti IS Cute.
    My cat purred like mad when she first appeared at our doorstep and was soooo friendly to everyone. Turns out it was because she was pregnant. After that she wasn't as friendly. :)
    also eMMI cute cat. she looks young.

She's about the same age as my miss Nauhuri, a year old. So yeah, quite young. :)
    Lizard wrote:
    Yes, eMMI, Kiti IS Cute.
    My cat purred like mad when she first appeared at our doorstep and was soooo friendly to everyone. Turns out it was because she was pregnant. After that she wasn't as friendly. :)

Hehe, clever kitty. :D

I've been thinking that Kiti and Nauhuri's almost incessant purring has to do with their young age - they forgive and forget easily. But who knows? :mrgreen: I'm just happy cause purring is one of the greatest noises in the world.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Plus, you show them a litter box ONE time and they never piss or shit in your floors...like my stupid ass English Bulldog that I bought for $1000 and just fucking gave away 2 months later.

Ever heard of toilet training your dog?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • I hated cats my whole life. I never owned one but like anyone else, you're around them at friends and family homes and stuff like that.

Best. Post. EVER! :lol:

but it's useless without pictures ;) We wanna see your gal! :D

eMMI - Kiti is so cute! She has huge eyes :shock: My boys are only young too and they purr even when they eat :roll: I it's think because they're rescue cats they're just happy to be loved, warm and fed... either that or because they're stupid. It could be one or the other to be honest :lol:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

eMMI - Kiti is so cute! She has huge eyes :shock: My boys are only young too and they purr even when they eat :roll: I it's think because they're rescue cats they're just happy to be loved, warm and fed... either that or because they're stupid. It could be one or the other to be honest :lol:

Yep. The eyes added to the fact that she's very vocal could scare the bejeebus outta someone. :P Sometimes that someone is me. :? :lol:

Aw, wittle stoopid kitty witties. :mrgreen:

The purring-while-eating brought this to my mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnagRjxp7v4 I'm sure many of you have seen it already (I can't remember whether it was posted earlier in this thread and, frankly, can't be bothered to check), but it's definitely worth another looky. :mrgreen:
  • eMMI wrote:

Yep. The eyes added to the fact that she's very vocal could scare the bejeebus outta someone. :P Sometimes that someone is me. :? :lol:

The purring-while-eating brought this to my mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnagRjxp7v4 I'm sure many of you have seen it already (I can't remember whether it was posted earlier in this thread and, frankly, can't be bothered to check), but it's definitely worth another looky. :mrgreen:

Awwww! That's quite cute! I used to have a cat who did that (she still does but lives with my ex) She literally sings when she eats! :mrgreen:

The only thing that worries me about that clip is that the kitten's behaviour is actually quite aggressive. It's making those noises because the camera/man are too close to him while eating. He then takes the other kitten's food, the other kitten lets him and has his ears back showing that he's obviously scared. I think the singing kitteh has issues with food possession... :?

Incidentally, I meant to tell you eMMI, I got the Simon's Cat book for Christmas! :mrgreen:

eMMI wrote:

Awwww! That's quite cute! I used to have a cat who did that (she still does but lives with my ex) She literally sings when she eats! :mrgreen:

The only thing that worries me about that clip is that the kitten's behaviour is actually quite aggressive. It's making those noises because the camera/man are too close to him while eating. He then takes the other kitten's food, the other kitten lets him and has his ears back showing that he's obviously scared. I think the singing kitteh has issues with food possession... :?

Incidentally, I meant to tell you eMMI, I got the Simon's Cat book for Christmas! :mrgreen:

Oh yes, I feel quite sorry for the other kitten. But luckily the cameraman/owner puts the other cup of foods next to it.

Ooh! :mrgreen: A Simon's Cat book! I'm not sure if I even knew one exists. Now I want it. :twisted: Well, not your copy of course. :lol:
  • redrock wrote:

From left to right:
    Rogue and Jet on top

That black one (Dookie is it) looks exactly like my cat.