Options

~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Beauties! And I like your cocksheets =)

Ident, we had one of those big cumbersome carriers for our old(er) cat but after she passed, we didn't feel right using it. As long as it's lightweight and the cats need to get in them, they are going in!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    hedonist said:

Ident, we had one of those big cumbersome carriers for our old(er) cat but after she passed, we didn't feel right using it. As long as it's lightweight and the cats need to get in them, they are going in!

I guess if you have two people doing it and a normal sized cat who isnt a headcase about boxes. When I had to take chance to the vet i nearly had to go to the hospital to get myself stitches. The first time (before I knew better) I tried to put her in the box just like normally, wearing the clothes I was gonna wear to the vet. Yea okay. She ripped my shirt off me. OFF ME. think of overalls with only one side latched, and then unlatched, but with a regular t shirt. After that I started wearing armour (old thick jacket/sweater/tops) but trying to get her into the thing with the porthole top opening type thing was still impossible. She's got like PTSD about boxes though. She won't go near them. You know how post cats like boxes and bags? She runs way from them. I assume that's how she was disposed off after her birth.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

hedonist said:

I guess if you have two people doing it and a normal sized cat who isnt a headcase about boxes. When I had to take chance to the vet i nearly had to go to the hospital to get myself stitches. The first time (before I knew better) I tried to put her in the box just like normally, wearing the clothes I was gonna wear to the vet. Yea okay. She ripped my shirt off me. OFF ME. think of overalls with only one side latched, and then unlatched, but with a regular t shirt. After that I started wearing armour (old thick jacket/sweater/tops) but trying to get her into the thing with the porthole top opening type thing was still impossible. She's got like PTSD about boxes though. She won't go near them. You know how post cats like boxes and bags? She runs way from them. I assume that's how she was disposed off after her birth.
    Damn, stitches?? It's sad that her fear is so deep-seated.

Beans is a light cat, but the Gordo is, well...a fat hefty Gordo.

As to our large potato, he can't reach his back when cleaning himself and there's a little patch of fur that has become the equivalent of cat-dreds. Brushing does nothing and I'm not sure if we should just cut them off (seems wrong and somehow invasive) or attempt to wash them.

Anyone else ever dealt with this?
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Best to cut the dreads! One patch can lead to a problem no?
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    hedonist said:

ldent42 said:

hedonist said:

As to our large potato, he can't reach his back when cleaning himself and there's a little patch of fur that has become the equivalent of cat-dreds. Brushing does nothing and I'm not sure if we should just cut them off (seems wrong and somehow invasive) or attempt to wash them.

I had to do this for my fatty too. There were clumps in her back cuz I guess she wasn't getting brushed enough. I bought one of these wire brushes with the release handle and i got the "furminator" brush which was too strong for her after that - the fur starts like sticking up on her back. Anyway I just brushed the clumps out. It starts to get loose and come out in chunks. She barely stays still for me to brush her, bringing scissors into the equation is nearly a non-starter. I did cut off a little bit at the bottom but mostly I was able to brush them out. I brush her every couple days now to make sure it doesn't happen again.

If you don't have time/patience for that there's nothing wrong with cutting the clumps out. Just remember, it's just hair. Cutting the messy parts out is effectively going to give her a shitty haircut. It'll grow back before you know it!
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    Thanks, you two! Just seems like cutting would confuse and distress him (note: George gets easily frightened by dust, moving air, the phone ringing, and t-shirts on the bed. He is literally a big pussy).

Ident, we do have a brush similar to the ones you linked. Guess I'll bite the bullet this evening and see how initial cutting goes.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,747
    edited December 2015
    hedonist said:

ldent42 said:

hedonist said:

Yes, I had a cat with long hair and her fur would get matted on her back. You have to cut them off (as close to the skin as you can manage) Leaving them can lead to skin problems.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,229
    hedonist said:

huh huh you said cock :tongue:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Carrier is here! Fen went right in it to check it out. I zipped him up and walked around a bit. It will do perfectly. Seems pretty stylin' to me :-)
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    Since the kitty was not a huge fan of the prescription wet food, we got some of her old food today, but not a fish variety, and sprinkled some tuna flakes on top. Boom - she nibbled on it :joy: The bladder infection seems to be gone, but now she has the sneezies. I guess she caught a cold or something. Hangs the whole day out in her heated bed. Otherwise she seems fine, eats, goes to the bathroom and wants to play. But she has a snotty nose. The poor thing never can get a break.
    We have an oldschool plastic carrier for her where you can take the top off. This works well. She is tiny, so it is easy to put her in there. At the vet, she usually doesn't want to come out (anymore :lol: ), so the vet just takes the top off and can examine her anyways.
  • Options
    I need get one of those top opening ones. I have a standard hard one with the door on the side. My cat is terrified at the vet and won't come out of the carrier. Door is too small to grab her through (they way she resists) so I have to literally dump her out of it and it makes me feel bad.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I need get one of those top opening ones. I have a standard hard one with the door on the side. My cat is terrified at the vet and won't come out of the carrier. Door is too small to grab her through (they way she resists) so I have to literally dump her out of it and it makes me feel bad.

If you find a source, let me know. The ones that have a latch door on top are no use cuz the cat will just throw all for paws out and hang on to the edge. Needs to be the kind where the top comes off.
  • Options
    This one looks pretty cool.

Bit on the expensive side though...

Ours is basically something like this.
    image They are not hard to find.
  • Options

That silver one is brilliant. After I posted I did another search and was actually able to find another one like the one we have on eBay for $26. It the same style as the one we have.

The one we have is brown but the same design. The latches are a little different. But this is good. I'd get that silver one Leeze posted though, that seems doable.
  • Options
    That suitcase thing looks awesome! I'm not sure I would use it for a cat though. Our cat has allergies, she would probably cough up a storm in there...
  • Options
    The silver one is called Catit Design Cat Cabrio Carrier.
  • Options

Yeah, that top one is awesome! That's what I need (although hoping I never need to use it...). The bottom one is basically what I have too. My cat turns into a ball at the opposite end and I can't get her out without turning the thing upside down and shaking her out like ketchup.
  • Options
    Can't you open it in the middle section? I only discovered that was possible last time at the vets :lol: And apropos... We're off with her later today again. Her sneezing is getting a bit worse and we want to make sure she is alright. This cat is gonna bring us into the poor house... But I can't see her suffer with her little snotty nose :frowning:
  • Options
    yea if the sales sites are to be believes that carrier is from 1954. It's worth mentioning that we had drilled little holes into the top part for extra air ventilation.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Did someone post about these yet? I like the flag one. (But how do they breathe?)

• Options
    edited December 2015

Can't you open it in the middle section? I only discovered that was possible last time at the vets :lol: And apropos... We're off with her later today again. Her sneezing is getting a bit worse and we want to make sure she is alright. This cat is gonna bring us into the poor house... But I can't see her suffer with her little snotty nose :frowning:

No (didn't notice that as a feature on your photo). Mine doesn't come apart like that. It's a cheap piece of shit.
    Yeah, I'm sorry she's having so many problems! That must be costing you soooooo much. :frowning: But what are you going to do? There is no choice but to pay those rip-off artists.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options

The silver one is called Catit Design Cat Cabrio Carrier.

I can't understand why most sites don't show it with the top open like the photo you posted. For me that's the main selling point. It is quite pricey at $50+ but, personally, if I hadn't just found the other one I'd probably have bought it. Some reviews say that it is not as well constructed as one would expect for the price, but i'm more concerned with the 25lb weight limit. (Last vet visit Chance was 21lbs)

That said, I'd probably pick this one up if I ever end up with another one who is less American-sized :lol:
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,229
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, that top one is awesome! That's what I need (although hoping I never need to use it...). The bottom one is basically what I have too. My cat turns into a ball at the opposite end and I can't get her out without turning the thing upside down and shaking her out like ketchup.
    that one (bottom) looks like mine
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Fenris has more interest in the Christmas Tree than I would like. I think he saw it and was like ooooohhh a new toy! IDK if he has had exposure to a tree last year but it doesn't seem so.
    He's basically just hiding under it and sniffing at the branches. One branch way under has no needles and he was biting it so I put some Bitter Apple on it.

Right now we have on lights and some garland (higher up than normal and not as much as normal either). Waiting a few days to put ornaments on and keeping the breakables off until we see how he does. Clapping when he goes near the tree and keeping him out of the room while we're decorating seems to be working.

Fen is a creature of habit so anything out of the ordinary throws him in super curiosity mode. He has his head in every box, bag and decoration in the place.
    Post edited by Sprunkn7 on
  • Options
    Ava has given ours a good once over too. I think? it is because it smells like the woods. We don't have any decorations on yet. And yes the boxes are fascinating. :wink:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,931
    Annie's latest addiction: steamed asparagus. As soon as we start cooking it and she smells it she starts going crazy! I've taken to making extra and chopping some up and mixing it in with her regular food.

Spoiled? Annie? :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Annie's latest addiction: steamed asparagus. As soon as we start cooking it and she smells it she starts going crazy! I've taken to making extra and chopping some up and mixing it in with her regular food.

Spoiled? Annie? :lol:

my cat wouldn't eat a vegetable unless it was squirming around on the floor!
  • Options
    We showed the kitty a brach of the tree yesterday to see if she would start sneezing or show discomfort. Well, she nibbled the needles right off. Now I am too paranoid to set the thing up. It will go into the Florida room. Our cat does not like treats and is a real food snob in general, but she likes spruce needles image:lol:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,931

We showed the kitty a brach of the tree yesterday to see if she would start sneezing or show discomfort. Well, she nibbled the needles right off. Now I am too paranoid to set the thing up. It will go into the Florida room. Our cat does not like treats and is a real food snob in general, but she likes spruce needles image:lol:

A tree eating cat?!! I wonder if your cat thinks she is a giraffe or an elephant? :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    So my new carrier came in this morning. At A QUARTER TO 8AM when did the post office start delivering so early?
    It works great just needs to be cleaned up a little. The only trouble is it's so little. I am not good at envisioning the size of things based off measurements and I never know where my tape measure is so I bought this one without measuring the other one. The new one actually fits INSIDE the other one. It's the same manufacturer though, F.C. & N. CO. INC who I cannot find any information on online. I mean it's fine, it'll serve it's purpose, which is mainly just in the event of an emergency, God forbid :knockswood:It's not wise to have two pets that don't like to be handled and only one carrier.