Options

~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    PJSiren said:

PJ_Soul said:

:frowning: I'm so sorry to hear you're still suffering over your lost PJS. I understand that it's helpful to feel like others understand what you're going through. You know, when people lose someone one good option is grief therapy. Who says that's only for when you lose a human???

I found some support groups on facebook and I actually realized that the reason I've been so down is because it the anniversary of when I adopted Tabby Lu...subconsciously I knew it, it just took a bit longer for me to catch on....a friend suggested that I write her a letter and address the envelope to Tabby Lu The Rainbow Bridge and then take it outside and burn it and watch as the wind carries it towards the heavens and know that she was receiving it and a beautiful angel would read it to her...i did that last night...it actually helped a lot.... :smile:
    Wonderful, I'm glad to hear it! That sounds very nice. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Sprunkn7 said:

Fen went into the side pocket of his carrier, got his leash out and dragged it to the front door. He then proceeded to make it well known he wanted to go for a walk outside. Sorry bud, it was raining.

On another kitty note, my moms cats go outside and are avid hunters. In her small backyard I found 6 chipmunk tails :-(

Poor tail-less chipmunks!

That said, the wanting to be walked thing is adorable.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Wow, Fen looks indeed comfy with the harness. We thought about that too, walking the kitty a bit... But she did not like the harness at all. On top of that, she is allergic to all kinds of weeds and grass. I bet she would be an amazing hunter too, but since I am a bird lover who is feeding and watching them, she won't get outside. I also read the other day that we have coyotes in the area ( :open_mouth: ) and just a couple of hours ago, a Cooper's hawk had dinner on a mourning dove in our yard. Our fuzz will stay inside. Where she is safe from the elements, predators, diseases and cannot hurt my beloved backyard birds.

And even if I also would like the idea of bringing her along on travels, I think our cat is a typical feline. She does not like change too much. Last time when we were abroad and came back, she had a bladder infection from the stress. Just because we were not there. Makes it hard to plan longer trips now. Sigh.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Sprunkn7 said:

Fen is still car training. I find when he wears his harness he's feels more comfortable. We went for a ride and a walk at the beach today...this freakin dude is so cool...

imageFenbeach photo 2016-02-20 15.47.45_zpsvqwuxcwb.jpg" />

Whoa! Nice! We need a harness like that for our Annie. Hers is comfortable for her but she can back out of it and that means we still need to watch her every move when out on the leash. The one you have looks comfortable and yet looks like it would be next to impossible to get out of!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Brianlux...hahah, there is no harness a cat can't get out of. If he wanted to he can duck his head and back out. The trick is always staying behind him. He ran up a tree once and was out of it in a flash. Thankfully he didn't run, just came right back to me.
    It took about 2 weeks to train him and I do it b/c my apartment is small and don't want him bored. A bored Siamese is a very bad thing!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options

Wow, Fen looks indeed comfy with the harness. We thought about that too, walking the kitty a bit... But she did not like the harness at all. On top of that, she is allergic to all kinds of weeds and grass. I bet she would be an amazing hunter too, but since I am a bird lover who is feeding and watching them, she won't get outside. I also read the other day that we have coyotes in the area ( :open_mouth: ) and just a couple of hours ago, a Cooper's hawk had dinner on a mourning dove in our yard. Our fuzz will stay inside. Where she is safe from the elements, predators, diseases and cannot hurt my beloved backyard birds.

And even if I also would like the idea of bringing her along on travels, I think our cat is a typical feline. She does not like change too much. Last time when we were abroad and came back, she had a bladder infection from the stress. Just because we were not there. Makes it hard to plan longer trips now. Sigh.

I've read that the average life span of an indoor cat is 13 years, and the average life span of an outdoor cat is 3 years. :tired_face: Of course plenty of outdoor cats live to old age, but this stat means that just as many are killed when they are very young, and I would assume most of those deaths are violent/accidental. The rest are probably illness from communicable cat diseases, like feline lukemia (I lost my first cat to that... he was an outdoor kitty, who also got run over by a car about 3 years before he died. He should have died in the accident, but my parents decided to spend $4500 on getting him an artificial pelvis. $4500 in 1986. Holy fuck.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    We had outdoor cats growing up. They were always missing for days, coming home hurt and full of ticks. My mom still lets her cats out! Drives me crazy, she is 80 (and healthy) but if she passes who do you think gets these fur balls?
    One of my first cats Sydney got hit by a car. Right in his face. He had skull fractures and we paid for dental work. They made him a bridge! Don't remember the cost but he lived to be about 16. Out of the dozen or so cats we had they mostly lived pretty long. Mia, my Siamese was the oldest at 19. She would go on the back porch and lay in the sun and come right back in. She wasn't a wanderer by any means!
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Someone on Facebook group I belong to made me this beautiful memorial for Tabby Lu and I wanted to share it with you guys....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    ^^ awww. cute.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

Brianlux...hahah, there is no harness a cat can't get out of. If he wanted to he can duck his head and back out. The trick is always staying behind him. He ran up a tree once and was out of it in a flash. Thankfully he didn't run, just came right back to me.
    It took about 2 weeks to train him and I do it b/c my apartment is small and don't want him bored. A bored Siamese is a very bad thing!

Annie's pretty smart so maybe that won't work after all. Is there a kitty straight jacket? Or are cats simply reincarnated Houdini's?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

Sprunkn7 said:

Annie's pretty smart so maybe that won't work after all. Is there a kitty straight jacket? Or are cats simply reincarnated Houdini's?
    Some cats love them. My cat who died a couple of years ago used to LOVE going out in the harness for walks around the neighborhood (I'd do it in the middle of the night so no one would see me walking a cat, LOL). She was as good on a leash as any well behaved dog. But my surviving cat flips out and squirms out of the harness in seconds and no amount of practice helped. I think training of course can help, but some of it just has do with the particular cat IMO.
  • Options
    The cat def as to have the personality for it. The thing is you have to try it for a while to find out.

Fen is also more comfy in the car if he has his harness on. Evidently cats feel it's like a security blanket if they are used to the harness and they like it.
    And yea, people think I'm wacky walking a cat. I mostly go where people aren't!
  • Options
    I wasn't feeling so good over the weekend, had a bad headache and super tight neck and kept trying to pop it....I was sitting on the couch and Eliot Spencer here was laying on my one leg when my neck finally popped and it popped about 7 times in succession really loud and this was the look I got....to me it says "WTF did you just do to yourself mom? That was unnatural!!!"
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    And Beans (aka) Dapper Dan wants to say HI!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

And Beans (aka) Dapper Dan wants to say HI!

Beauteous!

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    PJSiren said:

I wasn't feeling so good over the weekend, had a bad headache and super tight neck and kept trying to pop it....I was sitting on the couch and Eliot Spencer here was laying on my one leg when my neck finally popped and it popped about 7 times in succession really loud and this was the look I got....to me it says "WTF did you just do to yourself mom? That was unnatural!!!"

What a face!!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    My precious little Sweet Pea died on my birthday this year. She was almost 20 and my little soul mate. I rescued two little precious babies to keep the pup company. Sabrina and the Gatsby the Great Catsby:

photo image_zpscqvgomux.jpeg

photo image_zpsvwmlxxc8.jpeg
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    awww, black kitties!!! I love little black ones....I feel your pain on losing one, my Tabby Lu, you'll see the memorial pic up a little higher on this page, crossed the bridge, she was my bestest friend in the whole entire world....I miss her deeply....it was in her honor that we adopted our new puppy....Pearl Piggy I share on the Doggie thread....I have two cats also...ano another older dog...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

awww, black kitties!!! I love little black ones....I feel your pain on losing one, my Tabby Lu, you'll see the memorial pic up a little higher on this page, crossed the bridge, she was my bestest friend in the whole entire world....I miss her deeply....it was in her honor that we adopted our new puppy....Pearl Piggy I share on the Doggie thread....I have two cats also...ano another older dog...

Me too! Our Annie is a black cat and a friend of mine here in town has two black cats. Funny think is, when Annie sits in the sun the bright light makes her look more like a really dark brown. Not sure if that's true for all black cats though.

• Options
    PJS, I forgot we both have kitties named Beans. And your pic in the doggie thread with the tongue sticking out is what Beans has been doing as she gets older. It's adorable but a reflection of time passing.

CBG :hug: I'm so sorry for your loss but what a long life! And good on the rescues - you can give the life and love to two more who need it, after having done so with your Sweet Pea (incidentally, a nickname I've recently given to the Beans).
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

Oh I'm so sorry. It's so painful to lose them. They are just loving little beings and bring so much comfort and happiness. I say that my birthday was Sweet a pea's rebirth day. Aww own imgoing to go check out Pearl Piggy!

• Options
    brianlux said:

PJSiren said:

Me too! Our Annie is a black cat and a friend of mine here in town has two black cats. Funny think is, when Annie sits in the sun the bright light makes her look more like a really dark brown. Not sure if that's true for all black cats though.
    Me too! They say they are the least likely to be adopted, but I absolutely love them. They look like little panthers!

• Options
    hedonist said:

PJS, I forgot we both have kitties named Beans. And your pic in the doggie thread with the tongue sticking out is what Beans has been doing as she gets older. It's adorable but a reflection of time passing.

Yes....he's our little Terrorist....lol that's his nickname most of the time because he is a holy terror of a cat, he torments Eliot, lol, plays rough with Pearl and when you pick him up and hold him he growls like a dog playing tug of war....just that low growl...it's hilarious! He never hisses though...just growls. I also call him Beanie Baby when he's being particularly sweet, he enjoys kisses on the nose on his terms....lol He lets me know when he wants them.

Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    These kits are all adorable! Black cats are awesome :heart:
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Love black cats. Our boy Shadow, who passed 6 years ago, was black and had beautiful green eyes. He was big and muscular, so yeah when he walked he so looked like a panther. And, Brian, when the sun hit him, his color was more of a dark brown.
  • Options
    We adopted a kitten just about two years ago- an awesome tabby that we just love. My daughter needed a pet and she has delivered her pet responsibilities in spades!

But at the shelter, when we were looking at the kitten, in the cage below it was this greasy little calico cat- thin and goofy looking... it wouldn't be getting any "awww she's beautiful" comments on this thread lol!

But the cat was relentless trying to rub our hands through the screen and get close to us as we my daughter was checking out the kitten above her. I was receptive to the greasy cat's attempts at engaging us and was hit with an enormous amount of guilt- I felt terrible that we were drawn to the cute kitten, but here was this adult cat that needed love. I began to try and talk my daughter into thinking about the greasy one.

Of course, she was enamored with the kitten and I was going to let her have her way. My guilt spilled over into discussion with the SPCA worker. I expressed that the cat below the kitten had a wonderful disposition and wanted to know what its chances were of being adopted. To my relief, the worker expressed, "Oh, she's been spoken for already." If we had left the shelter with the greasy cat still in its cage, I'd be bothered to this day.

Cats are awesome. So underappreciated by so many.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I'll try and post a picture of Mika on her sometime in the next couple of weeks- I can't right now (not at home).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Thirty Bills - If the Mr was with me we would have gotten a "Charlie Brown" cat. I'm sure of it. He feels like he has to get the one nobody else would take, deaf dumb or blind....Not that theres anything wrong with that! A butch looking dude missing and eye and an ear..you know the ones. But I saw Fen and fell in love instantly.
    Before Fen I saw a cute cat that had no use of his back legs. I wanted him but he would have needed someone around a lot more than I am.....this isn't the one but very similar.

imagekit photo maddie1-cat_zpsyj9snlqf.jpg" />
  • Options
    Adorable kitty. 3-D printers have done wonders with prosthetics for animals.

Thirty, time to step up and give us some Mika!

Totally hear you on the greasy calico, by the way. They should all have homes. I'm glad that one got it.

When we adopted the Beans, my husband was checking out the other cats at the shelter, but she zoomed on me, doing the paw thing, rubbing against the cage. She knew we were going to be hers. I fell in love right there, called my guy over, and he promptly followed suit.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I went to the city animal control to help a friend adopt a cat once. ONCE.
    I'd end up buying a house with mad space in the sticks somewhere upstate and starting my own sanctuary if I ever had that kind of money.
    There's a great rescue community on Instagram, in my area there's puppykittynycty who does tnr and also works with a sanctuary for Felv+ cats and even finds barn homes for semi feral cats too. It's amazing the effort some people dedicate entirely by their own initiative.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435