~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    hedonist said:

There's a gorgeous local mountain lion (P-22, an apparent celebrity) trapped under a home here.

Beautiful charcoal-lined eyes that keep getting lights shined on. I know it's to help him, but my heart breaks for how spooked he must be.

Good thoughts for your kitty, Dave.

I saw that on the news here, Hedo...
    Good thoughts Dave.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Remember the "PJ with Cats" thread.. was trying to find that and can't.

Yeah.. remember that one time..... ;)
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Dave, I hope everything turns out alright!
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    Lizard said:

Remember the "PJ with Cats" thread.. was trying to find that and can't.

Yeah.. remember that one time..... ;)

Here you go:
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/121148/pearl-jam-with-cats/p35
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Why thank you, dragon.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788

PJSiren said:

I have stepped in cat puke more time than I can count...or on one of Tabby Lu's(rest her little kitty soul) hairballs...

better than stepping in cat poop (which i have done more so than puke). Unfortuantely one of my cat's seems to go to the bathroom on the carpet. She does use the liter box but I think she can't control i sometime. It's always in "liquid" form and she never pee's on the floor so that's a plus.
    Definitely get that checked out Dave. Cats can have IBS just like people, and dehydration for even
    Short periods of time, fucks up their kidneys,liver, all kinds of shit!

By the way my
    Brother now calls me The Ghetto version of Dr.Doolittle! Lmao yes we speak
    Jive Turkey here..
    took both to the vet today. Kali for her yearly checkup and Willow for the diarrhea problem. She couldn't find anything physical wrong with Willow so she took a blood sample. I'll find out tomorrow what they found.
    Well her blood tests came back normal so that's good :smile: They also did suggest an ultra sound which I think i'll pass on since i heard that's a lot of money. It has to be the food she's eating. She usually just eats wet foot (sometimes dry food). I first gave her Fancy Feast, which i heard was the worst of the wet food. So i switched to Nine lives, same problem. So my question is does anyone know a good wet food for a cat that has diarrhea? Or dry food that looks/tastes like wet food?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Our kitty only eats grain free Soulistic, a petco brand. It's a wet food with lots of gravy. They also have stuff like pumpkin soup with chicken in pouches and gelee food. I heard that switching them to this healthier diet is hard, but doable. You can mix the new food into the old one and enlarge the amount every day until they eat it completely.
    Maybe she has teeth problems and doesn't chew well and gets the diarrhea because of that? Did they check her teeth? I know I get problems when I don't chew well...
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Mine gets fed meow mix. Several years ago when there has been a series of recalls on cat food this brand was one of the few that wasn't involved. So my dad made the decision to feed his cat that forever. Many years later I tried switching them to grain free food and bought every single flavor of every single brand that petco had on the shelves. Several hundred dollars later, they're still eating the God Damn meow mix. They each get one cup in the morning and dry food (purina one healthy metabolism) in the later afternoon.
    I'd suggest trying to switch her to half a cup of wet food and some dry food at night till the diarrea calms down. They make dry food for sensitive stomachs.
    Alternatively, petco sells homeopathic remedies for diarrea. I tried one of them but mine wouldn't eat it. The liquid drops that go in the water, however, they consume with no problem. The skin & itch one worked surprisingly well, so I no longer dismiss the homeopathic stuff for them.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited April 2015
    While you're all talking about food, I'll mention that if you feed your cat wet food (and more and more vets are recommending that), avoid the seafood flavoured ones. Apparently they increase the chances of bladder problems, specifically urinary crystals, significantly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    PJ_Soul said:

While you're all talking about food, I'll mention that if you feed your cat wet food (and more and more vets are recommending that), avoid the seafood flavoured ones. Apparently they increase the chances of bladder problems, specifically urinary crystals, significantly.

A lot of cats also have allergies to the fish foods...I discovered with my dearly departed Tabby Lu, she had a fish allergy and it is very common in cats.
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    Uh oh, our cat ONLY eats the fishy kind. We tried to give her other flavours, but nope, she won't have it. She is a very tiny cat and a picky eater. no treats can lure this girl out of the corner. On top of the wet food, she also likes Green Pea & Salmon dry food from Natural Balance. She has been on this diet since she was found a couple of years ago and does not have any problems. That soulistic food looks amazing, btw. I would eat it if needed :blush::lol:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    PJ_Soul said:

thanks everyone for the suggestions and all (also on facebook). I mix it up seafood, chicken, turkey, beef for wet food. Luckily my cats are not picky eaters at all. They eat just about anything. I might try the science diet one.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Shit I just ordered a box of the fishy kind.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Is it good for kittens to eat canned tuna and salmon? Or should they be eating cat food?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890

Is it good for kittens to eat canned tuna and salmon? Or should they be eating cat food?

They should probably mostly be eating good kitten food, since it's enriched with all kinds of things that are good for kittens. But a little salmon as a treat should be okay. I'd personally avoid tuna for a kitten because of the possibility of too much mercury.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

Is it good for kittens to eat canned tuna and salmon? Or should they be eating cat food?

They should probably mostly be eating good kitten food, since it's enriched with all kinds of things that are good for kittens. But a little salmon as a treat should be okay. I'd personally avoid tuna for a kitten because of the possibility of too much mercury.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Ok many questions two answers:
    One the best food mixture we can surmise for our furry feline friends is a split mixture of a at very least, decent dry food mixed with a vet recommended ( I like the Science Diet lines) if bland, wet food. When you mix them, make sure that the feeding proportions are no more than what is recommended for your cat's weight. Cats SHOULD NOT ( contrary to popular belief) be free fed.
    So an example would be: my cat weighs 6 1/2 lbs. this equals out to 1/2 a cup of food a day. So split that into quarters, and he should get 1/4 cup size meal twice a day. Mixing that with the wet food, equals 1/8 dry food mixed with 1/8 wet food. Make sure you give kitty plenty of play/ exercise, because obesity in cats can be deadly!

Second. Cars really shouldn't be eating Salmon or Tuna very often, as they can be Mercury and iron rich, which can eventually cause massive renal failure. As a treat, yes as a soluable diet, no.

Love all the kitty love here! Now, gotta go walk me kitty!
  • Cats shouldn't eat that either!! Lmao@cars!!

Ok many questions two answers:
    One the best food mixture we can surmise for our furry feline friends is a split mixture of a at very least, decent dry food mixed with a vet recommended ( I like the Science Diet lines) if bland, wet food. When you mix them, make sure that the feeding proportions are no more than what is recommended for your cat's weight. Cats SHOULD NOT ( contrary to popular belief) be free fed.
    So an example would be: my cat weighs 6 1/2 lbs. this equals out to 1/2 a cup of food a day. So split that into quarters, and he should get 1/4 cup size meal twice a day. Mixing that with the wet food, equals 1/8 dry food mixed with 1/8 wet food. Make sure you give kitty plenty of play/ exercise, because obesity in cats can be deadly!

Second. Cars really shouldn't be eating Salmon or Tuna very often, as they can be Mercury and iron rich, which can eventually cause massive renal failure. As a treat, yes as a soluable diet, no.

Love all the kitty love here! Now, gotta go walk me kitty!

That's how we discovered my Tabby Lu was allergic to fish was by feeding her Tuna as a treat she broke out in the worst hives...and she just loved it too...it was so sad.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Pre-meow
    Mid-Meow/ yawn.. I guess my
    Kitty is a multi tasker!
    He is Sooooo cute tree!!!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJSiren said:

He is!! It's so unbearable! And the craziest part is he like.. Codependant, or I think that's wrong.. Maybe not.. He's insecure.. I've never seen a cat like this yet.. Though I am learning the several basic personalities of cats.. And I forget what he was ranked, but the personality description fit Scooter perfectly!! I'll have to look that up again and try to post the link here. It's really interesting.

PJSiren said:

He is!! It's so unbearable! And the craziest part is he like.. Codependant, or I think that's wrong.. Maybe not.. He's insecure.. I've never seen a cat like this yet.. Though I am learning the several basic personalities of cats.. And I forget what he was ranked, but the personality description fit Scooter perfectly!! I'll have to look that up again and try to post the link here. It's really interesting.
    Oh yeah...if you find that I would love to see it...
    Tattooed Dissident!
    edited April 2015
    So what do you do when your kitty only eats the fishy food? Our cat seems perfectly normal, healthy, agile and is not overweight. She is a picky eater, does not even go for treats. For dry food, she likes Natural Balance Green Peas & Salmon. We are happy that she eats and tried food with chicken in it, but she doesn't want it. Maybe I'll check and try stuff like venison for her. She seems to care a lot about the gravy, and Soulistic is high in that. We like the Soulistic brand for her because it does not contain all the crap other canned foods contain. We do not have a problem paying the higher price. Maybe we can lure her away from the fish a bit.

So what do you do when your kitty only eats the fishy food? Our cat seems perfectly normal, healthy, agile and is not overweight. She is a picky eater, does not even go for treats. For dry food, she likes Natural Balance Green Peas & Salmon. We are happy that she eats and tried food with chicken in it, but she doesn't want it. Maybe I'll check and try stuff like venison for her. She seems to care a lot about the gravy, and Soulistic is high in that. We like the Soulistic brand for her because it does not contain all the crap other canned foods contain. We do not have a problem paying the higher price. Maybe we can lure her away from the fish a bit.

I would say as long as she's healthy it's probably ok...but try to get her to eat other stuff...but yeah as long as she's healthy and your vet isn't concerned I would think you're fine....
    Tattooed Dissident!
    I bought my cats pet beds. They won't go near them.
    We have a "kitty cave" that she likes in the winter. But atm she prefers the sofa backrest, the bed or the green box by the window so she can peek outside. What kindsof beds are they? Did you sniff on them, maybe they smell weird... Other than that I would say stay patient. Or get cardboard boxes for a functioning backup ;)
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    ldent42 said:

Our girl loves her bed and pink polka-dotted blanket during the day, but at night she races us upstairs to sleep with us.
    Oh and whisperinghands, here is the list of feline-alities from the local humane society:

Private Investigator
    I'm working undercover to keep an eye on you and your household. You may not even know you're under surveillance. I can vanish into thin air if anyone or anything interferes with my investigation. If you need a cat who knows how to stay out of trouble and will always keep your secrets, I just might take your case.

Secret Admirer
    When it comes to relationships, I'm very level-headed. I don't leap in paws first, if you know what I mean. But give me a little time, and then I'll shower you with purrs, head-butts, and plenty of lap time. In the meantime, you may not see a lot of me, but I'll be thinking a lot of you!

Love Bug
    Do you seek affection? I do! If you also like petting, purrs, and paws kneading your lap, I think we might have a LOT in common. I'm looking for "someone who enjoys quiet times and togetherness." Could that someone be you?

The Executive
    I have to say, I'm a busy cat. First, I've got to check out what's happening out the window. Next, I'll see if any closets or cupboards need looking into. And then there are my naps--can't be late for those. I can fit a little socializing into my schedule. Shall we plan on breakfast and dinner? I hope you like kibbles.

Sidekick
    Like all sidekicks, I'm just plain good company. I like attention, and I also like my solitude. I don't go looking for trouble, but I'm no scaredy-cat, either. If you are looking for a steady companion to travel with you on the road of life, look no further.

Personal Assistant
    You're working on the computer? Let me press the keys. Reading the paper? I'll hold the pages down for you. Watching TV? I'll just plop in your lap so you can pet me. I love an orderly household, don't you? I'll help you with all your chores, and I'll help you relax when we're done. You'll wonder how you ever managed without me.

MVP
    I'm a savvy cat who knows the score. I'm pretty unflappable, too. I don't mind entertaining myself, but a human companion at the other end of the couch and a nice scratch behind the ears always make my day. If you're looking for a resourceful addition to your team, think about signing this Most Valuable Pussycat.

Party Animal
    I'm a cat on a mission: PARTY! I love to play and explore and test my limits. I'd love to play with you, but I can make a toy out of anything: pencils, post-it notes, potatoes. If you're looking for some laughs and someone to liven up the party, think about inviting me.

Leader of the Band
    I'm a cat who does everything in a big way. I not only like to be in the middle of things--I like to lead the parade. I'm an adventurous cat, but I'll still make plenty of time to show you my affectionate side. I'm the demonstrative type, you might say. Want a cat who's brimming with confidence? That's me.

I would say Ava is either a Personal Assistant or MVP. Of course, she jumped on the pug's back last night and according to my son, "rode the dog into the kitchen." She certainly thinks she is the leader of that dog. :wink:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • So what do you do when your kitty only eats the fishy food? Our cat seems perfectly normal, healthy, agile and is not overweight. She is a picky eater, does not even go for treats. For dry food, she likes Natural Balance Green Peas & Salmon. We are happy that she eats and tried food with chicken in it, but she doesn't want it. Maybe I'll check and try stuff like venison for her. She seems to care a lot about the gravy, and Soulistic is high in that. We like the Soulistic brand for her because it does not contain all the crap other canned foods contain. We do not have a problem paying the higher price. Maybe we can lure her away from the fish a bit.

When I say don't feed fish as a soluable diet I mean ACTUAL fish. The processed foods that are made up of fish product have the flavor of the fish, but not near enough of the actual fish to harm
    Your kitty. So if your kitty likes the food you are getting her stick with that. Just don't feed them
    Tuna or salmon out of the cans.( whole fish products meant for human consumption). There's not enough regulation of the iron and Mercury in them to be safe for cats to eat. Safe for us, not for them. :-)
  • ldent42 said:

Sprinkle them with catnip, rub it in, and then put their favorite toys in them. Soon they will realize they are for them to enjoy.. It might take a little bit, but be patient. If nothing else, puta great or two in the center of the beds and see if they go eat them.