~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Oh, Speedy, I just read this. Tears in my eyes. So sorry, but Sammy sounds wonderful. 17 years is amazing. She was a very very lucky cat and you and your wife were lucky to have her. Sorry for your loss.
  • Enkidu said:

Oh, Speedy, I just read this. Tears in my eyes. So sorry, but Sammy sounds wonderful. 17 years is amazing. She was a very very lucky cat and you and your wife were lucky to have her. Sorry for your loss.

Sammy was

Little Fun Buns
    Our little sunshine
    Little miss fancy pants
    Ole twinkle toes

And now she is gone.
    We are so sad, it hurts.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Such a devastating loss, I am so truly sorry.

Nice shirt.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279

Little Sammy 7-4-1998 02-28-2015

I can not begin to express the joy, and love, my little Samantha brought to my wife Kathy and I. From the day Kathy brought her home, the 3 of us were a match made in heaven. For 17 years we shared everything. For seventeen years Sammy would greet me at the door when I came home from work. I would pick her up over my shoulder, and the 2 of us would rub our faces together. Every night for 17 years. We shared every breakfast together. Sammy liked her toast buttered, and her steaks cooked medium rare. But broiled chicken was her absolute favorite! Kathy and I have probably cooked a thousand of pieces of chicken just for Sammy, over the years. At Christmas time, Sammy had her own stocking, that was always filled with all her favorite goodies. Sammy was also very fond of napping. She damned near loved to nap as much as she loved to eat. Sammy wasn't much for playing with toys, she found them to be beneath her. She was much too sophisticated, for silly toys. On the weekends when Kathy would go to bed, if I was still here in the computer room, Sammy would give me about 20 minutes. Then after those 20 minutes Sammy would walk in this room and let me know, by screaming and yelling, in her own little way, that it was time for bed. Funny, as a child my mom couldn't get me to bed, as an adult Kathy cant get me to go to bed, but when Sammy told me it was time for bed, I WENT TO BED!

Sammy and I had a ritual every morning and night. We would start by talking to each other(yeah I said it). We would have a little conversation, and then Sammy would lay on her back, and the EAR ITCHING would begin. For 10-20 minutes twice a day I would rub little Sammy's ears. She would be in heaven. She would just melt. The purring never stopped. For 17 years.

Today the purring stopped.
    There is no more chicken to share.
    There will be no more ear rubs.

I loved you Sammy
    I will forever miss you Sammy
    You will always be "Daddy's little girl".

You were the best damned cat on planet Earth!

Wow Speedy! So sorry for your loss! I've lost two cats in the past...one was 19, the other was 18. Both amazing cats! It's like losing a best friend.
    Stay strong man!
  • Sammy really didn't care for people. Other than the unconditional love for Kathy and myself, Sammy figured everyone else could just kiss her ass. Everyone, except 2 people. The pizza delivery guy, and the man who delivered the Chinese food. Hell, there were times I thought Sammy was going to run right out the door, and jump in the Chinese food delivery man's car.

When the pizza arrived, Sammy would just sit herself right down on the box. That pizza was HERS! She preferred sausage pizza over pepperoni, but turned her nose to mushrooms. When the Chinese food arrived, Sammy wanted the breading removed from the orange chicken, And we had better be quick about it!

Now there is no more pizza to share
    There is no more orange chicken to share.
  • mca47 said:

Little Sammy 7-4-1998 02-28-2015

I can not begin to express the joy, and love, my little Samantha brought to my wife Kathy and I. From the day Kathy brought her home, the 3 of us were a match made in heaven. For 17 years we shared everything. For seventeen years Sammy would greet me at the door when I came home from work. I would pick her up over my shoulder, and the 2 of us would rub our faces together. Every night for 17 years. We shared every breakfast together. Sammy liked her toast buttered, and her steaks cooked medium rare. But broiled chicken was her absolute favorite! Kathy and I have probably cooked a thousand of pieces of chicken just for Sammy, over the years. At Christmas time, Sammy had her own stocking, that was always filled with all her favorite goodies. Sammy was also very fond of napping. She damned near loved to nap as much as she loved to eat. Sammy wasn't much for playing with toys, she found them to be beneath her. She was much too sophisticated, for silly toys. On the weekends when Kathy would go to bed, if I was still here in the computer room, Sammy would give me about 20 minutes. Then after those 20 minutes Sammy would walk in this room and let me know, by screaming and yelling, in her own little way, that it was time for bed. Funny, as a child my mom couldn't get me to bed, as an adult Kathy cant get me to go to bed, but when Sammy told me it was time for bed, I WENT TO BED!

Sammy and I had a ritual every morning and night. We would start by talking to each other(yeah I said it). We would have a little conversation, and then Sammy would lay on her back, and the EAR ITCHING would begin. For 10-20 minutes twice a day I would rub little Sammy's ears. She would be in heaven. She would just melt. The purring never stopped. For 17 years.

Today the purring stopped.
    There is no more chicken to share.
    There will be no more ear rubs.

I loved you Sammy
    I will forever miss you Sammy
    You will always be "Daddy's little girl".

You were the best damned cat on planet Earth!

Wow Speedy! So sorry for your loss! I've lost two cats in the past...one was 19, the other was 18. Both amazing cats! It's like losing a best friend.
    Stay strong man!
    Sammy was indeed, my best friend.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I'm really sorry, Speedy. It hurts like nothing else.

Ours (also not a people person) lived 17 years too, but they were really good years - ones with such love and ridiculous antics from both sides.

Sounds like Sammy lived quite the life with you and your wife. That's what it's about.

Good thoughts from here.
  • hedonist said:

I'm really sorry, Speedy. It hurts like nothing else.

Ours (also not a people person) lived 17 years too, but they were really good years - ones with such love and ridiculous antics from both sides.

Sounds like Sammy lived quite the life with you and your wife. That's what it's about.

Good thoughts from here.

Thank you

At some point I may stop sobbing.
    But today is not that day.
  • My heart goes out to you Speedy. So sorry for your loss. I've been there, almost 1 year ago. Now I have a new kitty in my life. They are the best creatures on the face of the earth.

Sammy was lucky to have you as her dad. Sounds like you and Kathy gave her the best life.

Hearts and thoughts going out to you bud......
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,413

My heart goes out to you Speedy. So sorry for your loss. I've been there, almost 1 year ago. Now I have a new kitty in my life. They are the best creatures on the face of the earth.

Sammy was lucky to have you as her dad. Sounds like you and Kathy gave her the best life.

Thank you.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    :cry::cry::cry:
    My heart breaks for the loss you and your wife are having to endure. I am sorry for your loss, while glad Sammy found you two to be her humans and family.
    I'm going to go and maul my wee kitties until they can't stand it now.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Just wanted to post one of my favorites.
    Give it 4 minutes of your time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGnCIdHQH0
    You're killing me Speedy, I need to stop crying at some point tonight. I know your loss is magnitudes worse but my heart breaks and the tears start every time my thoughts drift back to you and your loss.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.

You're killing me Speedy, I need to stop crying at some point tonight. I know your loss is magnitudes worse but my heart breaks and the tears start every time my thoughts drift back to you and your loss.

Tomorrow I am going to tell the story of Sammy's 1st night with us. I promise you will smile.

And I am sorry, but I need to grieve, I need to talk about my little girl. I figure this thread was just the right place.

Tomorrow I am going to tell the story of Sammy's 1st night with us. I promise you will smile.

And I am sorry, but I need to grieve, I need to talk about my little girl. I figure this thread was just the right place.
    This exactly the right place and you grieve as much as you need to on here. I'll just keep baking to deal. You make me cry as much as you need to, it's about you and the loss of your darling right now.

This exactly the right place and you grieve as much as you need to on here. I'll just keep baking to deal. You make me cry as much as you need to, it's about you and the loss of your darling right now.
    Baking? Kathy and I don't do much baking, since we both kind of stink at it. But once and a while we try. Sammy would always sit in the kitchen while we were baking and wait for some flour to hit the floor. She liked licking/eating flour, I never understood it. Every time we baked we had to get a little plate and put flour on it for Sammy. She would lick the plate clean. Flour? But who were we to say no. If Sammy wanted to lick flour, we were more than happy to give it to her.
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Sorry for your loss. Always hard to lose a member of the family.

Baking? Kathy and I don't do much baking, since we both kind of stink at it. But once and a while we try. Sammy would always sit in the kitchen while we were baking and wait for some flour to hit the floor. She liked licking/eating flour, I never understood it. Every time we baked we had to get a little plate and put flour on it for Sammy. She would lick the plate clean. Flour? But who were we to say no. If Sammy wanted to lick flour, we were more than happy to give it to her.
    Sammy had awesome parents =)

I bake when I'm sad or stressed. along with wine intake.....I've been doing it for decades. I love the flour story lol.

Longueuil said:

Sorry for your loss. Always hard to lose a member of the family.

Thank you.
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    My Cats

I know. I know.
    they are limited, have different
    needs and
    concerns.
    but I watch and learn from them.
    I like the little they know,
    which is so
    much.
    they complain but never
    worry,
    they walk with a surprising dignity.
    they sleep with a direct simplicity that
    humans just can’t
    understand.
    their eyes are more
    beautiful than our eyes.
    and they can sleep 20 hours
    a day
    without
    hesitation or
    remorse.
    when I am feeling
    low
    all I have to do is
    watch my cats
    and my
    courage
    returns.
    I study these
    creatures.
    they are my
    teachers.

- Charles Bukowski

Nice shirt.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    Sorry for your loss Speedy :disappointed:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

Sorry for your loss Speedy :disappointed:

Thank you

edited March 2015

My heart goes out to you Speedy. So sorry for your loss. I've been there, almost 1 year ago. Now I have a new kitty in my life. They are the best creatures on the face of the earth.

Two months ago, right around Christmas, I was at a good friend of mines house. We were sharing a couple of Holiday beverages, when we decided to go out in back and have a smoke. As we chatted, a little Kitty Kat walked by me and went under my friend John's back porch. Turns out the little guy had been homeless, and was sharing time between John's porch and his neighbors basement. John turns and looks at me and says, "That's RIGHT you LOVE cats!!!!" So within 72 hours I brought home a little kitty..

Pancakes!

I was hoping Samantha and Pancakes would get along, but I knew it would be tough. Sammy was a princess, and after 17 years she was not willing to share her house with a stranger. But over the last 2 months Kathy and I made it work. There were gates put up, and Pancakes and Sammy shared the house. Im not saying they got along in any way, though it wasn't for lack of trying, but we all made it work.

Yesterday was the 1st time Pancakes was in our bedroom. Last night was the 1st time Pancakes slept in our bed. Last night Pancakes purred as he slept, nuzzled up to Kathy's feet. Pancakes won the lottery when he walked by me. Pancakes had no idea. But he is finding out. Pancakes will be loved. Unconditionally.

And so the healing begins.

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited March 2015
    Aw man, I'm so sorry, Speedy. Sounds like your Sammy was cherished just as much as ours is in our home. and it sounds like she was in the perfect spot. I love when pets and their owners fit like that. I think it is awesome of you to take Pancakes in (love the name too!). After Mr. Pickles passed away, I cried for three days, but then I think after a week, we took Sam in our house and now she is the queen that reigns our life. Cats are the best.

Re the wheat grass discussion. We found wheat grass at Petco, but it was overprices. Then we saw it in the veggie section of our supermarket fir a lot less. Our kitty loves munching on it. Same goes for the two palms we have. I would love to have more plants around the house, but I want them not to be harmful to the cat. That kind of limits the options. No more narcissus for Easter. Hmph.

Aw man, I'm so sorry, Speedy. Sounds like your Sammy was cherished just as much as ours is in our home. and it sounds like she was in the perfect spot. I love when pets and their owners fit like that. I think it is awesome of you to take Pancakes in (love the name too!). After Mr. Pickles passed away, I cried for three days, but then I think after a week, we took Sam in our house and now she is the queen that reigns our life. Cats are the best.

Re the wheat grass discussion. We found wheat grass at Petco, but it was overprices. Then we saw it in the veggie section of our supermarket fir a lot less. Our kitty loves munching on it. Same goes for the two palms we have. I would love to have more plants around the house, but I want them not to be harmful to the cat. That kind of limits the options. No more narcissus for Easter. Hmph.

Thank you.

• oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646

Yesterday was the 1st time Pancakes was in our bedroom. Last night was the 1st time Pancakes slept in our bed. Last night Pancakes purred as he slept, nuzzled up to Kathy's feet. Pancakes won the lottery when he walked by me. Pancakes had no idea. But he is finding out. Pancakes will be loved. Unconditionally.

Thank you for sharing this part of the story. I was so heartbroken for you. I even told my family about Sammy. Dear Princess Sammy had a wonderful life. A true princess in her own right . . . .just as it should be. She will always have a very special place in your heart. And Pancakes will now be the king of his castle. Just as it should be.

BTW, I love Jimmy Stewart and that poem tore my guts out. But we have all been there. Anyone who ever truly loved a pet knows that pain. Come and tell us Sammy stories whenever you need to -- and know we are grieving with you. But I am so glad that the healing has started.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Stay strong, Speedy. All of us stay strong.

I sobbed watching the Jimmy Stewart clip. After my boy Shadow passed, I would wake up having felt he just jumped on the bed, but he wasn't there. Well, he was there, in spirit, in my mind and forever in my heart.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752

Two months ago, right around Christmas, I was at a good friend of mines house. We were sharing a couple of Holiday beverages, when we decided to go out in back and have a smoke. As we chatted, a little Kitty Kat walked by me and went under my friend John's back porch. Turns out the little guy had been homeless, and was sharing time between John's porch and his neighbors basement. John turns and looks at me and says, "That's RIGHT you LOVE cats!!!!" So within 72 hours I brought home a little kitty..

Pancakes!

I was hoping Samantha and Pancakes would get along, but I knew it would be tough. Sammy was a princess, and after 17 years she was not willing to share her house with a stranger. But over the last 2 months Kathy and I made it work. There were gates put up, and Pancakes and Sammy shared the house. Im not saying they got along in any way, though it wasn't for lack of trying, but we all made it work.

:smile:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Sammys 1st night at her new house.

Kathy went to the pet store to bring home a kitten. There was no way I was going to the pet store. I just cant handle all those cute little animals, in their little cages. Had I gone that day, I would have come home with 4 kittens, 2 puppies, and who knows what else. Kathy arrives at the house with the new kitten and I am allowed to name her Sammy. We have a fun 1st day, and now it is time for bed. Little Sammy is put on our bed and its time for night night. Well the next 6-7 hours consist of little Sammy sleeping on our heads, laying on our necks, crawling under our necks, walking over our bodies, crawling under our legs, etc. At about 7am, after about maybe 20 minutes of sleep I wake up to see Sammy laying on Kathys neck. I giggle and ask "So how did you sleep last night?"
    Kathys eyes instantly open and she responds, "I don't think any of us slept more than 5 minutes!" I grab little Sammy, who fit just perfectly in my hand and held her straight towards the ceiling. I was laying on my back with my arm straight in the air, with little Sammy dangling from my hand. I announced, "You and I need to have a little chat." I sat up and showed Little Sammy the bottom of the bed. With my finger I outlined the entire 1/3 of the bottom of the bed. I said, "This is where YOU sleep! You got it? This whole section of the bed is yours, and the other 2/3 is ours!" Kathy laughed, Sammy meowed, and I cracked up.

Funny thing was, the next night Sammy got in bed, crawled to the bottom, and off to sleep she went. Over the years Sammy was given her own blankets, until she came up with her favorite blanket. That blanket of hers was washed yesterday afternoon and Kathy and I talked over what to do with Sammys blankie. Do we tuck it away somewhere? Or do we maybe let Pancakes have the blanket? We both decided to put the blanket on the bottom of the bed and let Pancakes check it out. Well, safe to say, Pancakes has his new sleeping blankie, and Kathy and I couldn't be happier for him.

Thank you for sharing this part of the story. I was so heartbroken for you. I even told my family about Sammy. Dear Princess Sammy had a wonderful life. A true princess in her own right . . . .just as it should be. She will always have a very special place in your heart. And Pancakes will now be the king of his castle. Just as it should be.

BTW, I love Jimmy Stewart and that poem tore my guts out. But we have all been there. Anyone who ever truly loved a pet knows that pain. Come and tell us Sammy stories whenever you need to -- and know we are grieving with you. But I am so glad that the healing has started.
    Yesterday was a sad day for me. One of the worst days I have ever experienced. It felt good to just come on here, and share a few stories. I appreciate you, and everyone else giving them a read. Sammy was our little princess.