~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• My heart goes out to you Speedy. So sorry for your loss. I've been there, almost 1 year ago. Now I have a new kitty in my life. They are the best creatures on the face of the earth.

Sammy was lucky to have you as her dad. Sounds like you and Kathy gave her the best life.

Hearts and thoughts going out to you bud......

Two months ago, right around Christmas, I was at a good friend of mines house. We were sharing a couple of Holiday beverages, when we decided to go out in back and have a smoke. As we chatted, a little Kitty Kat walked by me and went under my friend John's back porch. Turns out the little guy had been homeless, and was sharing time between John's porch and his neighbors basement. John turns and looks at me and says, "That's RIGHT you LOVE cats!!!!" So within 72 hours I brought home a little kitty..

Pancakes!

I was hoping Samantha and Pancakes would get along, but I knew it would be tough. Sammy was a princess, and after 17 years she was not willing to share her house with a stranger. But over the last 2 months Kathy and I made it work. There were gates put up, and Pancakes and Sammy shared the house. Im not saying they got along in any way, though it wasn't for lack of trying, but we all made it work.

Yesterday was the 1st time Pancakes was in our bedroom. Last night was the 1st time Pancakes slept in our bed. Last night Pancakes purred as he slept, nuzzled up to Kathy's feet. Pancakes won the lottery when he walked by me. Pancakes had no idea. But he is finding out. Pancakes will be loved. Unconditionally.

And so the healing begins.

Aww man, I loved reading this. And I feel genuinely happy for you. And Pancakes. I love that name! May I ask why you named him that?

And I love that Pancakes was a stray and now he is treated like a King. I got my Kitty at the humane society. She was a stray, too, just lik my other cat(actually she was found in the garbage). It feels so good to care for them and know that they are happy and safe.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Lol, I love that Pancakes has Sammy's old Blanket. Same thing happened over here.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,413

Lol, I love that Pancakes has Sammy's old Blanket. Same thing happened over here.

So my friend John, the guy whose porch pancakes was living under, has a little 3 year old daughter. John his wife Erin, and their little girl all go out for breakfast. As the waitress walks over, for the 1st time, to give menus and take drink orders, the little girl turns around, looks at the waitress, and screams, "PANCAKES!!" John relays the story to me the next day, and I crack up.

Well it was 3 weeks later when I was over at his house, and saw the little kitty under the porch. John and I threw a couple names at each other, and then John looked at me and screamed, "PANCAKES!!!"

It was a done deal!
    Hahahaha

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Haha, I love that. You'll have to post pics.

Haha, I love that. You'll have to post pics.

I will. Sometime this week I will get some pics up.

My heart goes out to you Speedy. So sorry for your loss. I've been there, almost 1 year ago. Now I have a new kitty in my life. They are the best creatures on the face of the earth.

Sammy was lucky to have you as her dad. Sounds like you and Kathy gave her the best life.

Hearts and thoughts going out to you bud......

Two months ago, right around Christmas, I was at a good friend of mines house. We were sharing a couple of Holiday beverages, when we decided to go out in back and have a smoke. As we chatted, a little Kitty Kat walked by me and went under my friend John's back porch. Turns out the little guy had been homeless, and was sharing time between John's porch and his neighbors basement. John turns and looks at me and says, "That's RIGHT you LOVE cats!!!!" So within 72 hours I brought home a little kitty..

Pancakes!

I was hoping Samantha and Pancakes would get along, but I knew it would be tough. Sammy was a princess, and after 17 years she was not willing to share her house with a stranger. But over the last 2 months Kathy and I made it work. There were gates put up, and Pancakes and Sammy shared the house. Im not saying they got along in any way, though it wasn't for lack of trying, but we all made it work.

Yesterday was the 1st time Pancakes was in our bedroom. Last night was the 1st time Pancakes slept in our bed. Last night Pancakes purred as he slept, nuzzled up to Kathy's feet. Pancakes won the lottery when he walked by me. Pancakes had no idea. But he is finding out. Pancakes will be loved. Unconditionally.

Aww man, I loved reading this. And I feel genuinely happy for you. And Pancakes. I love that name! May I ask why you named him that?

And I love that Pancakes was a stray and now he is treated like a King. I got my Kitty at the humane society. She was a stray, too, just lik my other cat(actually she was found in the garbage). It feels so good to care for them and know that they are happy and safe.
    Whats your Kittys name?

• My kitty's name is Pennie. She's 7 1/2 months old. She's a little sweetie. And she's spoiled, lol. She's got it good.
    I came across this today.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
  • After we had to put our kitty down last year we received a card along with our kitty's ashes that had Rainbow Bridge in it. First time I had read it. Pretty heartbreaking.

My kitty's name is Pennie. She's 7 1/2 months old. She's a little sweetie. And she's spoiled, lol. She's got it good.

Damn right Pennie is spoiled!
    She is your little buddy.
    Spoil her every day.

• My kitty's name is Pennie. She's 7 1/2 months old. She's a little sweetie. And she's spoiled, lol. She's got it good.

Damn right Pennie is spoiled!
    She is your little buddy.
    Spoil her every day.

Haha, truth. That's the best part.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Love the Pancakes story. That name is great.

I know you know it gets better, Speedy. Years ago we lost our beloved cat Eddie when he was 15. He hated people, liked to bite you when you weren't looking, a total grump and yet he was wonderful. He was the first pet we had cremated. When we picked up the urn we thought it was sort of odd and my husband and I kept putting the urn in places where Eddie liked to be - but places like in the middle of the dining room table. On our pillow. In the sink. We had cried so much when he died and it was nice that Eddie, even when he was gone, was still able to make us smile.

Can't wait till you post some pix.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851

I came across this today.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

This is beautiful Speedy and I love the Pancakes story. I'm glad you have another fluffy ball of love in your life to ease the pain somewhat. I love the part of Sammy's first night home where you would come home with the pet store if you went. I feel the same way. I'm glad to today was a little better than yesterday.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Awww Speedy, you're a big teddy bear with a big heart. Your stories warm my heart. I love anybody who is good to animals, and especially cats. I wish you and Kathy and Pancakes the best.
    We are currently thinking about adding a companion for our Sam. She is a spoiled little princess who gets all our attention, but I think she might benefit from a companion. It would have to be a kitten, cause she is tiny. But she is fierce. We will see what spring brings...
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613
    Hey there friends and fellow cataholics, do any of you know of a good quality brand of cat treats? I tried looking on-line for ideas and couldn't narrow them down. Too many, especially because it is so easy nowadays to mark things as "natural". (As a friend once pointed out, arsenic is "natural"). Thanks for any good recommendations!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646

My kitty's name is Pennie. She's 7 1/2 months old. She's a little sweetie. And she's spoiled, lol. She's got it good.

Our little Ava is 11 months old today. An April Fool's kitty. It was love at first sight, when I spotted her in that cage at the cat rescue. And it was the Kittenpalooza. The best $25 I ever spent. She had just been spayed, chipped and vaccinated.

brianlux - I am kind of stumped myself. She eats Natural Balance cat food - that was what they were feeding her at the rescue. She was stealing the dog's greenies, so I tried those. But she wasn't too impressed. Natural balance has some treats. I may try those next.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279

Sammys 1st night at her new house.

Kathy went to the pet store to bring home a kitten. There was no way I was going to the pet store. I just cant handle all those cute little animals, in their little cages. Had I gone that day, I would have come home with 4 kittens, 2 puppies, and who knows what else. Kathy arrives at the house with the new kitten and I am allowed to name her Sammy. We have a fun 1st day, and now it is time for bed. Little Sammy is put on our bed and its time for night night. Well the next 6-7 hours consist of little Sammy sleeping on our heads, laying on our necks, crawling under our necks, walking over our bodies, crawling under our legs, etc. At about 7am, after about maybe 20 minutes of sleep I wake up to see Sammy laying on Kathys neck. I giggle and ask "So how did you sleep last night?"
    Kathys eyes instantly open and she responds, "I don't think any of us slept more than 5 minutes!" I grab little Sammy, who fit just perfectly in my hand and held her straight towards the ceiling. I was laying on my back with my arm straight in the air, with little Sammy dangling from my hand. I announced, "You and I need to have a little chat." I sat up and showed Little Sammy the bottom of the bed. With my finger I outlined the entire 1/3 of the bottom of the bed. I said, "This is where YOU sleep! You got it? This whole section of the bed is yours, and the other 2/3 is ours!" Kathy laughed, Sammy meowed, and I cracked up.

Funny thing was, the next night Sammy got in bed, crawled to the bottom, and off to sleep she went. Over the years Sammy was given her own blankets, until she came up with her favorite blanket. That blanket of hers was washed yesterday afternoon and Kathy and I talked over what to do with Sammys blankie. Do we tuck it away somewhere? Or do we maybe let Pancakes have the blanket? We both decided to put the blanket on the bottom of the bed and let Pancakes check it out. Well, safe to say, Pancakes has his new sleeping blankie, and Kathy and I couldn't be happier for him.

I had a similar story with Rosie. First few nights, I don't think she slept at all. She kept running around getting into stuff. I kept putting her at the end of my bed so she'd learn that's where she sleeps. Once she knew night time was for sleeping, I would wake up and she'd be sleeping on the other pillow next to my head. I kept having to pick her up and put her at the end of the bed. I figured she probably wants a blanket or something so I get her a blanket that I put at the end of the bed. I'd still wake up and she'd be sleeping on the pillow. Ugh!
    One day, I walk in the bedroom, and she was napping on my pillow. Pick her up, put her on the blanket. 15 minutes later, I go back into my bedroom and see Rosie laying on her blanket....ON THE PILLOW! That little shit pulled the blanket all the way up to the top of the bed and laid on her blanket....on the pillow! Hilarious!
    mca47 said:

Kathy went to the pet store to bring home a kitten. There was no way I was going to the pet store. I just cant handle all those cute little animals, in their little cages. Had I gone that day, I would have come home with 4 kittens, 2 puppies, and who knows what else. Kathy arrives at the house with the new kitten and I am allowed to name her Sammy. We have a fun 1st day, and now it is time for bed. Little Sammy is put on our bed and its time for night night. Well the next 6-7 hours consist of little Sammy sleeping on our heads, laying on our necks, crawling under our necks, walking over our bodies, crawling under our legs, etc. At about 7am, after about maybe 20 minutes of sleep I wake up to see Sammy laying on Kathys neck. I giggle and ask "So how did you sleep last night?"
    Kathys eyes instantly open and she responds, "I don't think any of us slept more than 5 minutes!" I grab little Sammy, who fit just perfectly in my hand and held her straight towards the ceiling. I was laying on my back with my arm straight in the air, with little Sammy dangling from my hand. I announced, "You and I need to have a little chat." I sat up and showed Little Sammy the bottom of the bed. With my finger I outlined the entire 1/3 of the bottom of the bed. I said, "This is where YOU sleep! You got it? This whole section of the bed is yours, and the other 2/3 is ours!" Kathy laughed, Sammy meowed, and I cracked up.

Funny thing was, the next night Sammy got in bed, crawled to the bottom, and off to sleep she went. Over the years Sammy was given her own blankets, until she came up with her favorite blanket. That blanket of hers was washed yesterday afternoon and Kathy and I talked over what to do with Sammys blankie. Do we tuck it away somewhere? Or do we maybe let Pancakes have the blanket? We both decided to put the blanket on the bottom of the bed and let Pancakes check it out. Well, safe to say, Pancakes has his new sleeping blankie, and Kathy and I couldn't be happier for him.

I had a similar story with Rosie. First few nights, I don't think she slept at all. She kept running around getting into stuff. I kept putting her at the end of my bed so she'd learn that's where she sleeps. Once she knew night time was for sleeping, I would wake up and she'd be sleeping on the other pillow next to my head. I kept having to pick her up and put her at the end of the bed. I figured she probably wants a blanket or something so I get her a blanket that I put at the end of the bed. I'd still wake up and she'd be sleeping on the pillow. Ugh!
    One day, I walk in the bedroom, and she was napping on my pillow. Pick her up, put her on the blanket. 15 minutes later, I go back into my bedroom and see Rosie laying on her blanket....ON THE PILLOW! That little shit pulled the blanket all the way up to the top of the bed and laid on her blanket....on the pillow! Hilarious!
    She just wants it the way she wants it. :lol:
    mca47 said:

If Rosie wants to sleep on the pillow..

Then by all means, let her sleep on the pillow!

Hell, you are lucky Rosie even allows you to sleep in her bed.

• PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863

Thank you for sharing this part of the story. I was so heartbroken for you. I even told my family about Sammy. Dear Princess Sammy had a wonderful life. A true princess in her own right . . . .just as it should be. She will always have a very special place in your heart. And Pancakes will now be the king of his castle. Just as it should be.

BTW, I love Jimmy Stewart and that poem tore my guts out. But we have all been there. Anyone who ever truly loved a pet knows that pain. Come and tell us Sammy stories whenever you need to -- and know we are grieving with you. But I am so glad that the healing has started.
    Yesterday was a sad day for me. One of the worst days I have ever experienced. It felt good to just come on here, and share a few stories. I appreciate you, and everyone else giving them a read. Sammy was our little princess.
    I'm So sorry for your loss Speedy! I feel your pain, it's been 3 months since I lost my little girl and I still miss her so much! My thoughts are with you guys!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    brianlux said:

Hey there friends and fellow cataholics, do any of you know of a good quality brand of cat treats? I tried looking on-line for ideas and couldn't narrow them down. Too many, especially because it is so easy nowadays to mark things as "natural". (As a friend once pointed out, arsenic is "natural"). Thanks for any good recommendations!

We give our cat sometimes dried tuna flakes. Other than that she licks paper for treats :lol: She really is a very picky eater and you cannot lure her at all with treats. Which I am totally fine with. I think our cat eats healthier than us. Her food is all grain free and shit free and it looks so good that I would actually try it. Do you need the treat because you want to train something with her or just for the occasion?

• LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Here a picture by Vivian Maier
    (1954. New York, NY)
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    My little man Leo turns 19 years old today!! He's my first and only pet, and has been with us since we adopted him at 4 years old when I was in 2nd grade. So we've grown up together! Nothing but love from the first day with Leo, he enjoys all the cuddles he can get! Doesn't look 19 either, other than being pretty skinny, which he always has been. I miss him terribly, as I live in another state. Happy birthday Leo!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    I wasn't feeling well last week and my wee one Emma was there to try and make me feel better.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.

I wasn't feeling well last week and my wee one Emma was there to try and make me feel better.

Calico!
    Sammy was a Calico!

Pretty Kitty!

Calico!
    Sammy was a Calico!

Pretty Kitty!
    Calicos are the best, both my babies are calicos and yes she is very pretty and a wee brat as well, about 2 mins after I took the bottom picture she started attacking me from underneath the computer table.....she thought it was great fun.

Calico!
    Sammy was a Calico!

Pretty Kitty!
    Calicos are the best, both my babies are calicos and yes she is very pretty and a wee brat as well, about 2 mins after I took the bottom picture she started attacking me from underneath the computer table.....she thought it was great fun.
    Probably just trying to kick a germ's ass so you could feel better. I'm sure that was it. ;)image
    Beans looking particularly sinister this morning...lol

Tattooed Dissident!

Calico!
    Sammy was a Calico!

Pretty Kitty!
    Probably just trying to kick a germ's ass so you could feel better. I'm sure that was it. ;)image
    That is beyond freakin adorable :heart:
    PJSiren said:

Beans looking particularly sinister this morning...lol

I love the " I will take over the world" look.

Eliot Spencer being his sweet self...

Tattooed Dissident!