~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    PJSiren said:

So I just got back from the vet with Tabby Lu because her cancer is back...and the lump is infected again, they gave her an antibiotic shot, but we can't have the lump removed again without removing half her jaw because of the way it's grown back, so at this point all we can do is manage it, we still don't know if it's spread into her body yet, but she's lost more weight so I think it might have....basically, I think we're just going to manage her comfort level and everything...and the infection, and let her tell us when it's time.

I'm so sorry. If you read the dog posts you'll know we lost our beloved Brian a week ago. Hugs to you and your sweet kitty.
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    Thank you all for your thoughts and wishes....it means a lot! :-)
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    I think my kitty knows she's sick because she's gotten very clingy to my husband and I and if one of us, especially me is home and sitting on the couch she's on my lap sleeping. If I'm not there, then she's on his lap. She doesn't seem to want me to leave in the morning....it's very heartbreaking...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJSiren said:

I think my kitty knows she's sick because she's gotten very clingy to my husband and I and if one of us, especially me is home and sitting on the couch she's on my lap sleeping. If I'm not there, then she's on his lap. She doesn't seem to want me to leave in the morning....it's very heartbreaking...

Yeah, they know when things are not working right. They also know when they are terminally ill. However, I think might have to do with you guys' anxiety over her well being, more over her knowing she's sick; though she does know. Animals know these things, but they have the incredible ability to deal with things in the moment. It is a beautiful thing, and I do my best to practice this in my own life. Yet cats especially well bonded cats have what I call a secondary intuition.. They seem to know when your fears or worries are related to them. ( I almost did a thesis on this). For exams say you have a dog AND a cat ( horses have this ability too, just like cats.. But dogs seem to be missing this in their social groups. I really wish I knew why. But I believe it has to do very much do with the differences in their social dynamics)... And the dog is sick.. You obviously are upset. The cat knows that the dog is sick, the dog knows it is sick. But the cat also knows that your anxious fear is stemming from the dog's illness. Where as the dog just knows that you are upset, and does it's best to comfort you. Meanwhile the cat?? The cat will spend equal time comforting you both.. Even had they been mortal enemies at the start. We don't exactly know why this is, but I have seen it.. It's crazy. However the other way around? And the dog only knows you are upset, and most often gives the cat a wide berth out of respect, knowing it doesn't feel well. Although, this is not always the case. You'll know it's truly bad when the dog gets distressed over the cat. It's weird animals know that we love all of them equally when brought together correctly. I've had THE strangest tribe of pets live on my house, and they all understood that they were to get along! So ( and this is the hardest part, cause it is so outside of our human nature to do this), try to live in every moment with your kitty, while you can, and make her as comfortable as you can. Include the doggie if possible, and make it a family process... Although the animals are ok with this process in life, it's us that have a hard time dealing with things involving sufferage. Hugs from the pets here on Colorado. If you ever need to, you know you can always PM me.
  • PJSiren said:

So sorry that you are going through this PJSiren. Love her up as much as you can. And know we are thinking of you both.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • I am so sorry :( It is truly the worst when your beloved furry is so sick and you can't do anything. Thinking of you too. Make her have the nicest time possible as long as she is with you. <3
    Thank you guys, I just made her picture my avi...she's so special to me...I'm going to share with you guys something I wrote today for my blog...

I'm really depressed because I think my cat is dying....I already posted about how she has cancer and we were going to have the lymphnode removed, but now it's too late, her tumor on her mouth grew back and it's inside her mouth and outside and in order to remove it they would have to remove half her jaw and I'm not going to do that to my baby...it's bad enough already...I hate this so much because she is my best little friend and I've had her for going on 11 years...that's a 3rd of my life...that's a long time. I wish this wasn't happening, it's not fair, she was supposed to grow old. I know we don't know anything for sure yet...like how long she has, but I'm afraid it won't be long...it hurts so much knowing I'm going to lose her. Last night I held her for a long time and let her sleep on my lap and I just cried, I thought about the happy times like how we moved to KY together, and flew cross country and she was so good....and then how we drove back from KY to OR two years later and she just roamed around in the car. I have a picture of her and I in the car. It's one of my favorites. Just think about all the times she picked up that toy of hers and carried it around the house crying...and then would drop it like it was a gift she brought me. I will keep that toy forever! I want to get a tattoo of her in memory of her too, just a pawprint isn't enough...we have such a strong bond there has to be more...she's my babydoll. She picked me that day at the catery, I walked around the whole room and she followed me the whole way and when I finally stopped walking she stretched up my leg as tall as she could and said, "Pick me, pick me!" so she went home with me that day, and we've been the bestest of friends ever since...so I'm going through something horrible here and I just don't know what to do, I can't save her. All I can do now is make her comfortable until it's time...and it's killing me. I'm sitting here at work as I type this in my email, to post later from home and I'm struggling not to cry...I just love her so much!

Tattooed Dissident!
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    PJSiren said:

Thank you guys, I just made her picture my avi...she's so special to me...I'm going to share with you guys something I wrote today for my blog...

I'm really depressed because I think my cat is dying....I already posted about how she has cancer and we were going to have the lymphnode removed, but now it's too late, her tumor on her mouth grew back and it's inside her mouth and outside and in order to remove it they would have to remove half her jaw and I'm not going to do that to my baby...it's bad enough already...I hate this so much because she is my best little friend and I've had her for going on 11 years...that's a 3rd of my life...that's a long time. I wish this wasn't happening, it's not fair, she was supposed to grow old. I know we don't know anything for sure yet...like how long she has, but I'm afraid it won't be long...it hurts so much knowing I'm going to lose her. Last night I held her for a long time and let her sleep on my lap and I just cried, I thought about the happy times like how we moved to KY together, and flew cross country and she was so good....and then how we drove back from KY to OR two years later and she just roamed around in the car. I have a picture of her and I in the car. It's one of my favorites. Just think about all the times she picked up that toy of hers and carried it around the house crying...and then would drop it like it was a gift she brought me. I will keep that toy forever! I want to get a tattoo of her in memory of her too, just a pawprint isn't enough...we have such a strong bond there has to be more...she's my babydoll. She picked me that day at the catery, I walked around the whole room and she followed me the whole way and when I finally stopped walking she stretched up my leg as tall as she could and said, "Pick me, pick me!" so she went home with me that day, and we've been the bestest of friends ever since...so I'm going through something horrible here and I just don't know what to do, I can't save her. All I can do now is make her comfortable until it's time...and it's killing me. I'm sitting here at work as I type this in my email, to post later from home and I'm struggling not to cry...I just love her so much!

Pj siren, absolutely no words. They way I took the loss of both nico and jinxy was that instead of remembering the bad/dark days, I would think of all the times nico made me laugh or shake my head. And with jinxy it was so sudden that I look at it as if we gave him the best 1 1/2 years of his 2 1/2 years of his life. He chose us and we have him a life that went from the streets, to the cage, to having his own kingdom for 1 1/2 years. Nico on the other hand, was like what you're going thru sort of. He had a bad heart and we kept him alive for 2 1/2 more years then the dr said would happen. And it destroyed us when it was his time. It will heart, you will feel GUILTY, you'll question EVERYTHING, but remember, she chose you for a reason. And you're showing her what the reason is now. Most people wouldn't even want to deal with this. But you excepted this trust when you took her home. And now you're gonna show her why she chose you. I wish U2 the best of luck in this battle you're gonna have. You'll know when the time is right. And she'll let u know. Trust me, you'll know it. Be strong
  • badbrains said:

PJSiren said:

Pj siren, absolutely no words. They way I took the loss of both nico and jinxy was that instead of remembering the bad/dark days, I would think of all the times nico made me laugh or shake my head. And with jinxy it was so sudden that I look at it as if we gave him the best 1 1/2 years of his 2 1/2 years of his life. He chose us and we have him a life that went from the streets, to the cage, to having his own kingdom for 1 1/2 years. Nico on the other hand, was like what you're going thru sort of. He had a bad heart and we kept him alive for 2 1/2 more years then the dr said would happen. And it destroyed us when it was his time. It will heart, you will feel GUILTY, you'll question EVERYTHING, but remember, she chose you for a reason. And you're showing her what the reason is now. Most people wouldn't even want to deal with this. But you excepted this trust when you took her home. And now you're gonna show her why she chose you. I wish U2 the best of luck in this battle you're gonna have. You'll know when the time is right. And she'll let u know. Trust me, you'll know it. Be strong
    This is it exactly! My heart hurts for you. I lost the last of my original rescue cats last year, and I was devastated when I had to let him go. But BB is right, remember all the good times, and the wonderful memories. A d love her to pieces while you can. She picked the best human ever, and she's one lucky kitty!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,747
    PJSiren said:

aww beautiful. She kinda looks like one of my cats, Willow :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PJSiren, my heart aches for you. I agree with what BB said too. Try to think of the happy times you had together. Make it as nice for her as possible, don't stretch her pain. When our first kitty, Mr. Pickles, died, we just had him for two months. He was so young, he was so gorgeous. We took him out of a shelter on my first day in America. He was 1.5 years old and had a heart condition that we could do nothing about. I cried for three days and my hubs thought I would never get over it and not have a good start in America. But I got better. We got better. We were so happy that he didn't have to suffer anymore. We gave him meds three times a day from the third or fourth week that we had him, and from then on he just got worse and worse. It was tough to see him vanish like that, but when we now think of him, we think of his goofy little quirks. He was a kisser, a big snuggler. He loved his little plushy beaver and silver rubber bands that you use for wrapping gifts.
    I know you are sad, I know you hurt thinking about losing her. But be thankful for the good times you had together. I bet she wants to be her old self, but she is too weak, and this is the most heartbreaking thing ever. Make it easy for her to go. You will heal, nobody can take your memories away. We have a little memory place for Mr. Pickles in the garden, with a little stone. He is always with us.
    We took a kitty in one week after Mr. Pickles passed. We thought we just take her as our therapy cat over the holidays, but we fell in love with her and now she is still with us, two years later, and we love her like nothing else. Pets are fantastic, it is amazing how they can evoke so many emotions in us. It is good to see so many people cherish this.
    Big hug to you and your sweet furry!
    I appreciate everything you guys are saying, we are going to call our vet tomorrow and try to get her in again, as the tumor is getting worse, and she's in pain when she tries to eat...but when we pick her up she starts purring and puts on her bravest face that says "See I'm ok!" but I know she's hurting...and that in turn hurts me...I hate seeing her in pain, so I don't know what we'll find out, at the vet...but I will keep you posted...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    PJSiren, my heart goes out to you. It's a tough decision to make----> you love her, but don't want to see her in pain. I went through something similar with my cat, Miss Moo, a few years ago. She adopted us and was with us for 20 years. At the end, I did everything I could, but when the vet tech asked me how her quality of life was, I broke down and knew it was time to say goodbye. I miss her every day, still, but I always remember her in her better days. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Hugs to you and your little furry friend.
    ELITIST FUK
    I keep crying, oh I keep crying and reading what you guys say sends me into tears again, just so unfair that we have to make decisions like this. It's so hard but I can't bare it...I can't stand seeing her in pain and the vet couldn't get us in today, so we are going tomorrow...I think I've made up my mind, I just can't stand it....you know...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJ Siren my heart breaks for you, and your sweet fur baby. She is beautiful; reminds me of the first kitty I ever had. We've all been there and know the pain that you are going through. It feels like you are trying to balance your pain (of losing her) with her discomfort. And it is a miserable decision to have to make. You know her and love her like no one else can. I am sure that whatever you decide to do will be the right thing.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
    A little beacon of hope, for evey cat someone adopts from a shelter, it opens up 2 more spots to bring in a cat from the streets.

Pj siren, I have no words for what you're going thru right now. Be strong.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35T8wtmTbVg
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    Thank you all, your kind words and words of encouragement mean so much to me right now, it really is a great help to have support from all over! And I will come and post later the details of our vet visit and what our decision is and everything...my tattoo artist is going to work with me to design a memorial piece for her...I emailed her about it the other night...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJSiren said:

Thank you all, your kind words and words of encouragement mean so much to me right now, it really is a great help to have support from all over! And I will come and post later the details of our vet visit and what our decision is and everything...my tattoo artist is going to work with me to design a memorial piece for her...I emailed her about it the other night...

A tattoo us a great memorial. I have one if my wolf dogs tattoo'd as a memorial. ( even though I got the tatt when he was two. When he passed it became a great memorial; which was its purpose). Still praying for all if you.
    Well, the vet confirmed what we already knew...that besides the tumor on her face she's still a healthy kitty, but that her quality of life now because of this evasive and fast growing tumor is just going down hill, because she's barely eating and all she wants to do is sleep...so the vet said if Tabby Lu was his kitty he would take time to say his goodbye and make the decision to end her suffering, so we are going to take the next week to say our goodbyes, treat her like a queen and feed her everything she loves and doesn't get regularly and do it next weekend....we just decided we can't watch her suffer, we don't want to come home to a dead cat, and we don't want to go through this pain indefinitely....I think this will be the best for her in the end, no matter how much it hurts me....
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren, I am so sorry you have to go through this. It is a crappy decision to make, but the way you are handling it is full of grace. Tabby Lu is lucky to have you.
    ELITIST FUK
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Sorry to hear PJSiren. Spoil her with all kinds of rotten people food :)

My kitty has a urinary tract infection and is locked in my bathroom for a day or two.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Hugs, PJSiren, thinking of you and your kitty.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,747
    PJSiren said:

Well, the vet confirmed what we already knew...that besides the tumor on her face she's still a healthy kitty, but that her quality of life now because of this evasive and fast growing tumor is just going down hill, because she's barely eating and all she wants to do is sleep...so the vet said if Tabby Lu was his kitty he would take time to say his goodbye and make the decision to end her suffering, so we are going to take the next week to say our goodbyes, treat her like a queen and feed her everything she loves and doesn't get regularly and do it next weekend....we just decided we can't watch her suffer, we don't want to come home to a dead cat, and we don't want to go through this pain indefinitely....I think this will be the best for her in the end, no matter how much it hurts me....

:( sorry
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • I am so sorry PJ Siren... You are dealing with one of the most difficult scenarios in life, and with grace, love, and honest to God mercy. Tabby Lu knew what she was doing that day in the cattery, when she picked you. You two were meant to enrich one another's lives. And she has obviously done her job very well, as have you. As humans we have the hard job if outliving our pets, and yet we can't live without them. My heart goes out to you, and your family. I know how bad this hurts. Hug your fuzzball for me and Scooter.
    Good luck pj siren, try to enjoy this week as much as possible. Give that princess everything she wants. Let her try it all! Best of luck
    Thank you all so much for your kind words...I just keep finding myself in tears, this is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do...to make a decision like this. I am so thankful for a husband who understands and who loves her too. He hasn't known her as long as I have, but half as long and she has wormed her way into his heart as well. My daughter is trying not to show how upset she is in front of us. I think she feels like if she shows that it'll make us feel worse or something. My dog last night, twice in an effort to help gave his biscuit to my husband....it was the sweetest most adorable thing I've ever seen...he laid it in my husbands seat first, then while we were upstairs cleaning her tumor and putting neosporin on it, he placed it in my husbands side of the bed...we figured after doing it twice it wasn't by accident and it was his way of trying to help because he knows something is wrong. Our youngest cat lays with her while she sleeps and looks over her, he sleeps sometimes, but mostly we catch him watching her...they all know something is going on and that makes it even harder.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Yes, spoil her rotten and show her how much you love her. It is a tough decision, but it is a selfless one that enables you to show how much you love your pet. Much love to you.
    My horoscope today is very fitting....and I'm not normally into these things....

Your responsibilities aren't as simple as you had wished today, setting the tone for the entire week ahead. Don't waste precious energy trying to put on a happy face for others, just because that's what they expect from you. It isn't your job to make everyone feel comfortable with your emotional process. Nevertheless, it's up to you to ask yourself the tough questions so you can gain clarity about the next chapter of your life.
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren said:

My horoscope today is very fitting....and I'm not normally into these things....

Your responsibilities aren't as simple as you had wished today, setting the tone for the entire week ahead. Don't waste precious energy trying to put on a happy face for others, just because that's what they expect from you. It isn't your job to make everyone feel comfortable with your emotional process. Nevertheless, it's up to you to ask yourself the tough questions so you can gain clarity about the next chapter of your life.

Sounds like you're a Libra. :) Sending you strength through this difficult time.
    ELITIST FUK