Options

~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,977
    Sorry about your loss Dave loosing a pet is such a kick in the gut but like you said she’s resting in peace no more pain as pet owners we def don’t let our pets suffer! 

@eeriepadave my condolences on your loss.  Kia was a beautiful girl.  Hugs to you and Kyra.
    Thanks guys :smile:

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,526
    Nuala having a normal one here 

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,990

Sorry, Tristan. I need to take this down to the recycling bin now. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    GlowGirl said:
    Lo
    Sorry, Tristan. I need to take this down to the recycling bin now. 
    Ah yes the box we usually let them have fun for a couple of days with boxes but these days they are just being outside 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,770

Those eyes!  Love it.

There is a feral cat on the walking train we frequent that look a lot like your cat.  He's very friendly and we've taken to calling him Cocoa Puff and we bring him good, healthy cat food.  I don't normally get close to feral cats because until someone takes them and gives them a good home, they are (sadly) better off being wary of people.  But Cocoa Puff came right up to us the first time we saw him, so he's obviously already human normalized.  I so wish Annie would tolerate other cats because if she did, we would have a second cat in a heart beat!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Nice meeting you and your wife at the show. Now I can put a face to this arm  :)
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Nice meeting you and your wife at the show. Now I can put a face to this arm  :)
    Haha, likewise!
  • Options
    Definitely part bat

• Options
    So a few of you already know this - on September 11th I lost my sweet boy Tristan. He was 17 years old. He had been breathing somewhat heavy and then the night before he was mouth breathing for a few minutes, which cats don’t do. He had been diagnosed with mild asthma in February so I thought it was acting up and made a vet appointment thinking he would just need a steroid shot since he was acting pretty normal. That morning he jumped on my bed, meowed for food, ate, etc. but when I took him in the vet immediately noticed that his breathing was off and took an X-ray. She said his lungs were so full of fluid she didn’t even know how he was so alert. She told me she was certain he was suffering. I was ready to cancel my trip to Texas but she said it would be cruel to keep him going as he would  be gasping for air - so I did the humane thing. I am devastated. I have been crying off and on since it happened. The worst was coming home from Texas and he wasn’t there to greet me at the door like he always has done. He was such a good boy and I miss him so much. 

• Options
    He was a handsome guy.

17 years is amazing, but otoh makes it that much harder to say goodbye.. Hang in there, GG. 
  • Options
    He was a handsome guy.

17 years is amazing, but otoh makes it that much harder to say goodbye.. Hang in there, GG. 
    Thanks. It has been really hard but I know I did the right thing. I appreciate all the supportive texts you sent me as well. It helped. 
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Sorry for your loss, Glowgirl. Tristan and you had richer lives for 17 years because you had each other. Makes saying goodbye so much tougher. 

Sending good thoughts. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss, Glowgirl. Tristan and you had richer lives for 17 years because you had each other. Makes saying goodbye so much tougher. 

Sending good thoughts. 
    Thanks. He was amazing. I was lucky to have him for 17 years. Out of all my cats I have had through the years he was sweetest and most affectionate. Whenever anyone would come over he would roll over on their feet for belly rubs. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,977
    GlowGirl said:
    So a few of you already know this - on September 11th I lost my sweet boy Tristan. He was 17 years old. He had been breathing somewhat heavy and then the night before he was mouth breathing for a few minutes, which cats don’t do. He had been diagnosed with mild asthma in February so I thought it was acting up and made a vet appointment thinking he would just need a steroid shot since he was acting pretty normal. That morning he jumped on my bed, meowed for food, ate, etc. but when I took him in the vet immediately noticed that his breathing was off and took an X-ray. She said his lungs were so full of fluid she didn’t even know how he was so alert. She told me she was certain he was suffering. I was ready to cancel my trip to Texas but she said it would be cruel to keep him going as he would  be gasping for air - so I did the humane thing. I am devastated. I have been crying off and on since it happened. The worst was coming home from Texas and he wasn’t there to greet me at the door like he always has done. He was such a good boy and I miss him so much. 

Oh no! Sorry, always hard when you lose a loved pet. 😿
    17 is a good life for a cat though. I’m sure he misses you as well 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Oh no! Sorry, always hard when you lose a loved pet. 😿
    17 is a good life for a cat though. I’m sure he misses you as well 
    Thanks Dave. I know you recently lost one of yours as well. It’s never easy. I hope you are doing ok. 
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I am so sorry, @GlowGirl. What a beautiful boy. Our queen of the house is about the same age and has had asthma for a while now. We started trying to desensitize her but the shots were awful for us all (injecting her with what she was allergic to with a syringe), and quite pricey, and at some point we decided to stop. She is now on steroids and has been doing good. A couple of weeks ago she also mouth-breathed, and we brought her in to the vet, and $1k later we knew she had pancreatitis, so she got antibiotics and pain meds for a bit. It is all better now but man, that was a lot of money... She is very sensitive to us leaving. She gets nervous when I put on jeans alone. Sigh. Hugs!
  • Options
    I am so sorry, @GlowGirl. What a beautiful boy. Our queen of the house is about the same age and has had asthma for a while now. We started trying to desensitize her but the shots were awful for us all (injecting her with what she was allergic to with a syringe), and quite pricey, and at some point we decided to stop. She is now on steroids and has been doing good. A couple of weeks ago she also mouth-breathed, and we brought her in to the vet, and $1k later we knew she had pancreatitis, so she got antibiotics and pain meds for a bit. It is all better now but man, that was a lot of money... She is very sensitive to us leaving. She gets nervous when I put on jeans alone. Sigh. Hugs!
    Thanks. I am so glad your kitty is doing well now. It’s hard when they get to be that age with health issues cropping up. I wish Tristan just needed some antibiotics. But the vet said that she usually sees that kind of fluid buildup with late stage lung cancer. When he first started coughing in Feb.I was worried about that. But nothing showed up on the X-ray. So they said it was asthma. Now I wonder if it was more serious. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Thanks. I am so glad your kitty is doing well now. It’s hard when they get to be that age with health issues cropping up. I wish Tristan just needed some antibiotics. But the vet said that she usually sees that kind of fluid buildup with late stage lung cancer. When he first started coughing in Feb.I was worried about that. But nothing showed up on the X-ray. So they said it was asthma. Now I wonder if it was more serious. 

He may have had cardiomyopathy, heart disease. That is what our first kitty had. With fluid in the lungs and coughing. He was very young, so the vet said he was born with it and it could not be helped. When an older cat gets it, they can get meds for that. But I am not a vet, so it may just as well have been lung cancer for Tristan. It is so tough when you have been with them for so long. You want them to get better and not torture but there is often also so much freaking money involved. When we were there I said jokingly, "please do not make it a car payment", and then the sum just got bigger and bigger. I wish we could use our HSA for the vet bill too.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

He may have had cardiomyopathy, heart disease. That is what our first kitty had. With fluid in the lungs and coughing. He was very young, so the vet said he was born with it and it could not be helped. When an older cat gets it, they can get meds for that. But I am not a vet, so it may just as well have been lung cancer for Tristan. It is so tough when you have been with them for so long. You want them to get better and not torture but there is often also so much freaking money involved. When we were there I said jokingly, "please do not make it a car payment", and then the sum just got bigger and bigger. I wish we could use our HSA for the vet bill too.
    I keep second guessing myself as to whether or not I made the right decision or could I have had them try more treatments. It’s torture to keep thinking like that. I point blank asked the vet what she would do if it was her cat and she told me she would end it. He had been somewhat declining since August. He was a voracious eater and was leaving food over and was losing weight. So I don’t know. Maybe there could have been some meds. If so, she didn’t offer that option. I just have to make peace with it. 

My other cat has become very clingy. She is only 6. At some point I will need to get her a new companion. She was always snuggling up with Tristan. I just need a bit more time. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

I keep second guessing myself as to whether or not I made the right decision or could I have had them try more treatments. It’s torture to keep thinking like that. I point blank asked the vet what she would do if it was her cat and she told me she would end it. He had been somewhat declining since August. He was a voracious eater and was leaving food over and was losing weight. So I don’t know. Maybe there could have been some meds. If so, she didn’t offer that option. I just have to make peace with it. 

My other cat has become very clingy. She is only 6. At some point I will need to get her a new companion. She was always snuggling up with Tristan. I just need a bit more time. 

Don't torture yourself, it sounds like he had the best life with you <3 And he was a great age too. We would have loved another kitty too but ours is an only child. She is well-behaved and spoiled and we don't want to bring stress into her life with another cat. But if I were in your situation I would definitely give it a try when you are ready. Enjoy the snuggles!
  • Options
    Really sorry to hear about your beautiful Tristan passing! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

I heard someone say recently it’s better to do it a day or week too soon than a day or week too late. As much as you want every second possible, you don’t want him to suffer any more than he had to. You did the right thing, as hard as it is. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,526
    edited September 2023
    Wife & I moved this weekend. 

Nuala’s handling the move like a champ…. Chains not so much. 

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,927
    @GlowGirl My deepest condolences on the loss of your dear, sweet Tristan.  He was a beautiful boy. (((Hugs)))
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options

Congrats on your beautiful home. I love the floors. I am sure Chains will get used to it soon. I know many cats don't like change. I have to go to Maryland for an unexpected funeral on Wednesday (one of my best friends from childhood's mother). Rather than leaving Daisy alone again I rented a car and am taking her with me. We are staying at my parent's house. I just had a litter box and bag of litter shipped to them. Its only for 5 days, so I hope she does well there. If so, I am going to take her again with me over Thanksgiving. Once the time comes when I get a new kitty to be her companion, I won't feel as bad leaving her at home again. But she has been following me around everywhere so I can tell she doesn't like to be alone. She has transferred all of her hanging with Tristan time to me.

• Options
    @GlowGirl My deepest condolences on the loss of your dear, sweet Tristan.  He was a beautiful boy. (((Hugs)))
    Thanks. He really was a beautiful cat. It is still hard.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:

Congrats on your beautiful home. I love the floors. I am sure Chains will get used to it soon. I know many cats don't like change. I have to go to Maryland for an unexpected funeral on Wednesday (one of my best friends from childhood's mother). Rather than leaving Daisy alone again I rented a car and am taking her with me. We are staying at my parent's house. I just had a litter box and bag of litter shipped to them. Its only for 5 days, so I hope she does well there. If so, I am going to take her again with me over Thanksgiving. Once the time comes when I get a new kitty to be her companion, I won't feel as bad leaving her at home again. But she has been following me around everywhere so I can tell she doesn't like to be alone. She has transferred all of her hanging with Tristan time to me.

Chains has always been dramatic. She’ll be fine. 

I hope traveling w/ Daisy works out. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,689
    edited October 2023
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    tish said:
    Sorry, GG n Padave. I'm glad you got to meet Mr./Mrs. Merk GlowG!

I guess I have a new family member. My daughter decided she would spend four whole nights away from me and try summer camp (where she met a bf!)  this year if I let her keep the white one. I'm not a very good negotiator - I guess???

Let me think what's her name??? We thought it was a boy, so he was Theo for a bit, but oh yeah - that's Bailey! 

Thanks Tish. They are both adorable. It looks  like you have a little Siamese - just like mine. They are so much fun. I’m sure your daughter is thrilled with Bailey. What a nice bribe for her to go to camp  :) Enjoy and keep posting photos. 
  • Options
    Say hi to Pancakes.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....