Options

~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    So many gorgeous kitties.  

@tempo_n_groove my husband had a cat named Twinkle Toes when he was young. 

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    So many gorgeous kitties.  

@tempo_n_groove my husband had a cat named Twinkle Toes when he was young. 

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,309
    My Theo 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    The first pic is our senior cat Zoe. She’s a livable mush. 
    2nd is Milton mayhem monster. He’s protecting us from the spider that got in. He’s a little terror but too damn cute. 
    3rd is scaredy cat DarkStar Twinkle Toes. She’s a polydactyl. She’s our failed foster cat. She was so scared of everything. She still doesn’t like anyone standing over her. This was rare for her to jump on me on the couch. She usually does this when I go to bed. 
    Nice are they indoors only? My two love to try to get insects but my female is a pure hunter!
    Yes Jose, indoors only.  We don't want to have to worry about them getting hit by a car or rocks thrown at them.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,907
    2nd is Milton mayhem monster. He’s protecting us from the spider that got in. He’s a little terror but too damn cute. 
    3rd is scaredy cat DarkStar Twinkle Toes. She’s a polydactyl. She’s our failed foster cat. She was so scared of everything. She still doesn’t like anyone standing over her. This was rare for her to jump on me on the couch. She usually does this when I go to bed. 
    Sweet kitties. I hope I get to meet them when I spend the day out there sometime soon. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    GlowGirl said:
    Sweet kitties. I hope I get to meet them when I spend the day out there sometime soon. 
    Yeah yeah, you keep saying, lol.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Yeah yeah, you keep saying, lol.
    Hey. I did text you today about it - so we will make that happen soon.

• Options

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    edited August 2023
    Note to self:  brush the cat more often!
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,507
    edited July 2023
    Thanks for posting those as spoilers, Brian. I believe you. I don’t need to see for myself.  

Hope you’re ok. 
  • Options
    Thanks for posting those as spoilers, Brian. I believe you. I don’t need to see for myself.  

Hope you’re ok. 

LOL, yeah, gross!  And yes, thanks, I'm fine.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited August 2023
    This cat misses her "mom".  Ever since Friday when my wife headed out to spend the weekend with her daughter, this poor cat has either been a bit whiny or, most of the time, goes to whatever room I happen to be in and sleeps close bye.  I just told her, "Five more hours Annie, that's all.  She didn't leave for good!"
    IMG

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    brianlux said:
    This cat misses her "mom".  Ever since Friday when my wife headed out to spend the weekend with her daughter, this poor cat has either been a bit whiny or, most of the time, goes to whatever room I happen to be in and sleeps close bye.  I just told her, "Five more hours Annie, that's all.  She didn't leave for good!"
    IMG

My two get terribly depressed when my wife is away… in fairness, she works from home, so her not being there is a big void… not to mention she dotes on them way more than me. I try to give them as much attention as her, but it’s not the same. 

Speaking of wanting attention: 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    IMG

My two get terribly depressed when my wife is away… in fairness, she works from home, so her not being there is a big void… not to mention she dotes on them way more than me. I try to give them as much attention as her, but it’s not the same. 

What a great photo. I hope you gave her lots of attention. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

She gets a stupid amount… I pointed out to my wife a few weeks back that she seemed kind of pissy (the cat, not my wife :D ) / not her old self; even now, 8 months later we still think she’s not loving Nuala… we made a point to giving her extra attention since then & it seems to be doing the trick, she’s definitely happier. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

She gets a stupid amount… I pointed out to my wife a few weeks back that she seemed kind of pissy (the cat, not my wife :D ) / not her old self; even now, 8 months later we still think she’s not loving Nuala… we made a point to giving her extra attention since then & it seems to be doing the trick, she’s definitely happier. 
    That’s great that you are giving her the attention she needs. She may have been jealous of the Nuala. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    brianlux said:
    IMG

We have a bengal cat that is attached to my youngest daughter....she stays at her boyfriend's some nights (she's 22) and the cat just loses his mind.

This has been going on for a few years and it's driving us insane. It's to the point where he started marking certain places in the house (my wife's new curtains, my fucking records, etc.) and we've tried everything related to calming spray, calming collars, etc.

He will go sit outside her door and just cry because he's sure she's in there even when she's not. 

It's been hard because he's so miserable it makes me miserable and I've seriously thought about putting him down but I won't. Really don't know what to do.

We also tried prozac....we first tried the liquid which he hated. I tried it and it's very bitter. Then we went to topical that you rub on the inside of his ear. This is much easier to apply but you just never know how much is being absorbed. That didn't seem to work. I refuse to shove a pill down his throat every day. That's traumatic for him and for me.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    IMG

We have a bengal cat that is attached to my youngest daughter....she stays at her boyfriend's some nights (she's 22) and the cat just loses his mind.

This has been going on for a few years and it's driving us insane. It's to the point where he started marking certain places in the house (my wife's new curtains, my fucking records, etc.) and we've tried everything related to calming spray, calming collars, etc.

He will go sit outside her door and just cry because he's sure she's in there even when she's not. 

It's been hard because he's so miserable it makes me miserable and I've seriously thought about putting him down but I won't. Really don't know what to do.

We also tried prozac....we first tried the liquid which he hated. I tried it and it's very bitter. Then we went to topical that you rub on the inside of his ear. This is much easier to apply but you just never know how much is being absorbed. That didn't seem to work. I refuse to shove a pill down his throat every day. That's traumatic for him and for me.
    I am sorry that you and your cat are going through this. Have you asked your vet about Gabapentin. Sometimes, they give that to cats who are stressed or are having behavioral issues. Or, maybe your daughter can take the cat with her when she stays at her boyfriend's. Or maybe let him in her room when she is not there and leave something on her bed that smells like her - a bathrobe or something else he can sit on. I have heard that advice for when you are traveling and leaving your cat home alone.

Finally, I just have to ask - Is the cat neutered? That can definitely help with spraying. While it does happen, it is less common for a neutered cat to spray.

• Options
    AS242348AS242348 Posts: 65
    Can you get something like this in the US? Makes it so easy to give our cats tablets whenever we need to.

https://thecatgallery.co.uk/products/easypill-cat-putty

London O2 Arena 2009
    London Hyde Park 2010
    Manchester MEN Arena 2 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome 2 2012
    Vienna Stadhalle 2014
    London O2 Arena 1 2018
    London O2 Arena 2 2018
    London Hyde Park 2 2022
  • Options
    AS242348 said:
    Can you get something like this in the US? Makes it so easy to give our cats tablets whenever we need to.

https://thecatgallery.co.uk/products/easypill-cat-putty

We have something called Pill Pockets here are that similar. I have tried it before with my cat. Sometimes it works. Other times they eat the treat and spit out the pill. Little buggers.

• Options

• Options
    edited August 2023
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

I am sorry that you and your cat are going through this. Have you asked your vet about Gabapentin. Sometimes, they give that to cats who are stressed or are having behavioral issues. Or, maybe your daughter can take the cat with her when she stays at her boyfriend's. Or maybe let him in her room when she is not there and leave something on her bed that smells like her - a bathrobe or something else he can sit on. I have heard that advice for when you are traveling and leaving your cat home alone.

Finally, I just have to ask - Is the cat neutered? That can definitely help with spraying. While it does happen, it is less common for a neutered cat to spray.

Thanks for the info....we didn't talk about Gabapentin but I'll look into that. The issue I see is how to give it to him. Maybe I just need to suck it up and shove the pill down his throat. I just hate doing that.

He's neutered for sure. The problem now is that he'll mark stuff even in her room. I think he's just so upset that he's manic.

We love him to death he just can't be trusted to run freely in the house anymore. My wife got new curtains a few months back...he peed on several of them.

The good thing about him is that his urine is very mild...most male cats have a stronger ammonia smelling urine but his isn't strong. But still...it's urine.

We've talked to the vet a few times the last few years as we've dealt with the prozac. I've thought about going to a different vet for a different perspective.

Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

Thanks for the info....we didn't talk about Gabapentin but I'll look into that. The issue I see is how to give it to him. Maybe I just need to suck it up and shove the pill down his throat. I just hate doing that.

He's neutered for sure. The problem now is that he'll mark stuff even in her room. I think he's just so upset that he's manic.

We love him to death he just can't be trusted to run freely in the house anymore. My wife got new curtains a few months back...he peed on several of them.

The good thing about him is that his urine is very mild...most male cats have a stronger ammonia smelling urine but his isn't strong. But still...it's urine.

I’m sorry you are dealing with this. Gabapentin is a liquid. So you would just squirt it in his mouth. I have a cat with IBS who has to take a liquid steroid twice a day. The easiest way is when she is eating I just lift her head and quickly squirt it in her mouth and then she goes right back to eating. 

Also, last bit of advice - if you are not already doing this I would use an enzyme cleaner on the urine to break up the smell and stain. Even if you can’t smell it they can and will often go back to the same spot. This is a good one I have used when my cats have had an occasional accident 

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

I’m sorry you are dealing with this. Gabapentin is a liquid. So you would just squirt it in his mouth. I have a cat with IBS who has to take a liquid steroid twice a day. The easiest way is when she is eating I just lift her head and quickly squirt it in her mouth and then she goes right back to eating. 

Also, last bit of advice - if you are not already doing this I would use an enzyme cleaner on the urine to break up the smell and stain. Even if you can’t smell it they can and will often go back to the same spot. This is a good one I have used when my cats have had an occasional accident 

good to know...I kind of hate the idea of squirting the liquid too but that might be better than a pill

Yes we do use the enzymatic stuff. 

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,928
    So I went away for the weekend. I left Saturday morning and came back late Sunday afternoon/. Left plenty of food and water for the cats Also separated them cause I was afraid Kia would eat all the food in like an hour :lol:

Came home Kyra was fine. Opened the door to my bedrrom where Kia was and couldn't find her. Found her under my bed but she wasn't in good shape (she was breathing but not moving at all). So i took her to the 24 hour vet near me. They did some tests and suggested I leave her in the hospital for a few days. Which I can't afford that (it would have been like $5,000 or something). they said she was dehydrated and had diabetic symptoms which I kinda suspected but never took her to the vet cause she was a pain to get in the carrier, but she definitely showed signs like underweight, eating and drinking a lot. Unfortunately she didn't seem to get better and had neurological symptoms and her eyes were becoming diluted and she wasn't responding to anything. So I had to put her to sleep. I only had you for like a year and a half. She was definitely the most difficult and weirdest cat I had. She was also very sweet and I’m glad that she entered my life. Glad you are at peace now. RIP Kia

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

Shit. I’m sorry, Dave. That sucks 
  • Options
    I am sorry about Kia. What a cutie she was. I remember when you got her. I know you were saying the two cats never really warmed up to each other but I hope Kyra is doing ok. It is always hard even when we have had them for a short time. I have had one of my cats for 17 years. Thank goodness he seems to be doing well but I am constantly aware that I will only have so many years left with him. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,928
    GlowGirl said:
    I am sorry about Kia. What a cutie she was. I remember when you got her. I know you were saying the two cats never really warmed up to each other but I hope Kyra is doing ok. It is always hard even when we have had them for a short time. I have had one of my cats for 17 years. Thank goodness he seems to be doing well but I am constantly aware that I will only have so many years left with him. 

Thank you. Yeah they never warmed up too much, but like I said they tolerated each other. I think Kia was more dominant too Kyra (or Kyra was more timid around her. Which was kinda odd since she was bigger than her). In the past few weeks I did notice she was drinking a lot more water than usual and her hips were kinda "caved in" and i was thinking of taker her to the vet after Labor Day. She was due for a checkup I think a few months ago but i never got around to it for a few reasons. One mainly cause she doesn't really like to be held and I figured getting her into the crate would be a pain in the ass.

I think Kyra was looking for her yesterday. And last night she slept right by my side for awhile.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    @eeriepadave my condolences on your loss.  Kia was a beautiful girl.  Hugs to you and Kyra.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,309
    Sorry about your loss Dave loosing a pet is such a kick in the gut but like you said she’s resting in peace no more pain as pet owners we def don’t let our pets suffer! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....