Post your daily workout

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Has anyone here done one of the OXFAM trailwalkers? 100 Km hike in 48 hours? Looking to benefit from anecdotal evidence.
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    polaris_x wrote:
    Has anyone here done one of the OXFAM trailwalkers? 100 Km hike in 48 hours? Looking to benefit from anecdotal evidence.

Yes Im doing the 100km here in Sydney in August
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    ajedigecko wrote:
    20mile ride
    world trail x2

This may sound dumb, but what's the "world trail?" Just guessing I would say it is one of those courses with exercise stations located on the course, but it doesn't seem like it would be 10 miles long, and mostly I thought they were situated on running/walking paths.
    correct.......it has stations throughout the field. the path on our trail follows is native cut grass, there is no smooth level surface. several small inclines, mole hills, gopher holes..all types of hazards, you need to stay alert. they cut it once a month it seems.

when the sun is baking the grass......it sure smells good.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    MayDay10 wrote:
    anyone try the p90x program?

Ive been looking into it and it sounds pretty outstanding.
    I started the P90X four weeks ago and I can attest that it is an excellent, yet demanding workout program. I was skeptical due to the fact that the company that sells it also does “hip hop abs” but P90X is a very serious program. In three weeks I went from being able to do 9 pull-ups to 80 pull-ups in a 1-hour workout. I have yet to weigh myself but I’m already down from a 36 inch waist to a 34 inch waist. Also, I was having knee pain for the last year due to a bone spur (and being out of shape). For the first two weeks I had to ice my knee down after every workout and it would be sore the next day. Now after four weeks my knee feel 95% better and I no longer have to ice it because my legs are so much stronger.

The program has 12 workout discs that mix things up pretty good. For instance, here are a few of the workouts: Chest and back; Plyometrics (lots of lunges and jumping); Arms and Shoulders; Kenpo (kicks and punches), Legs and Back, and Yoga (believe it or not, yoga is the toughest one). You need a yoga mat, a pull-up bar, and dumb bells from 5 – 50 lbs. So your overall investment will be around $500 - $700. P90X tries to sell you a bunch of crap but you can buy better stuff on Amazon for half the cost.

The program also has a very good eating plan. It’s not really a diet because it challenges you to eat constantly. But it’s healthy food instead of junk. I’m eating healthier then I ever have and I don’t get the cravings for Doritos or pizza anymore. You still get to eat lots of chicken, pork, and other normal foods and the book has some excellent recipes. The biggest obstacles are time management and dedication. I have been getting up at 5am to do my workouts because waiting until after work was destroying my free time. You have to be ready to workout six days a week for 12 weeks. Oh, you also should cut down on your beer intake.

I would recommend that if anyone is considering the program that they spend at least three weeks working out 5 times a week prior to ordering it. It will be a good way to gauge your determination and not waste your money. It is also a very good idea to be in at least halfway decent shape before starting P90X. My roommate separated his shoulder doing pushups in week three (an old injury contributed), but he jumped into the program cold and out of shape.

I hope this helps anyone that is considering the program.
    Good bitta info there Jason

10 burpees
    15 reverse grip chins
    20 pushups
    25 ball slams
    500 row
    4 sets. No clock because its friday
    DonJon wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

cool - have you done it before? ... and what is your target time? ... any advice?
  • scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    Jason P wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    anyone try the p90x program?

Ive been looking into it and it sounds pretty outstanding.
    I started the P90X four weeks ago and I can attest that it is an excellent, yet demanding workout program. I was skeptical due to the fact that the company that sells it also does “hip hop abs” but P90X is a very serious program. In three weeks I went from being able to do 9 pull-ups to 80 pull-ups in a 1-hour workout. I have yet to weigh myself but I’m already down from a 36 inch waist to a 34 inch waist. Also, I was having knee pain for the last year due to a bone spur (and being out of shape). For the first two weeks I had to ice my knee down after every workout and it would be sore the next day. Now after four weeks my knee feel 95% better and I no longer have to ice it because my legs are so much stronger.

The program has 12 workout discs that mix things up pretty good. For instance, here are a few of the workouts: Chest and back; Plyometrics (lots of lunges and jumping); Arms and Shoulders; Kenpo (kicks and punches), Legs and Back, and Yoga (believe it or not, yoga is the toughest one). You need a yoga mat, a pull-up bar, and dumb bells from 5 – 50 lbs. So your overall investment will be around $500 - $700. P90X tries to sell you a bunch of crap but you can buy better stuff on Amazon for half the cost.

The program also has a very good eating plan. It’s not really a diet because it challenges you to eat constantly. But it’s healthy food instead of junk. I’m eating healthier then I ever have and I don’t get the cravings for Doritos or pizza anymore. You still get to eat lots of chicken, pork, and other normal foods and the book has some excellent recipes. The biggest obstacles are time management and dedication. I have been getting up at 5am to do my workouts because waiting until after work was destroying my free time. You have to be ready to workout six days a week for 12 weeks. Oh, you also should cut down on your beer intake.

I would recommend that if anyone is considering the program that they spend at least three weeks working out 5 times a week prior to ordering it. It will be a good way to gauge your determination and not waste your money. It is also a very good idea to be in at least halfway decent shape before starting P90X. My roommate separated his shoulder doing pushups in week three (an old injury contributed), but he jumped into the program cold and out of shape.

I hope this helps anyone that is considering the program.

P90X can really beat the snot out of you if you're not ready for it. From all the people I've talked to, it works pretty well. I don't do it but have been thinking of giving it a try, just don't want to give up my current routine.

As for buying it... why? Download it from the internet, its everywhere
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Final score from the Hope and Possibility 5 mile run in Central Park this morning: 33:36, good for a 6:43 pace, 69th overall place. What a day, beautiful weather, good crowd, wife watching on the sidelines, and playing the Mansfield show from last year on the Zune with HTI as the opener :)
    Yep Pearl Jam on the ipod always helps me. HTI though? Reckon Id go too slow to that.

10 x 60kg bench press
    10 reverse grip chins
    10 burpees
    15 V sit ups

5 sets. No clock trained on my lonesome today
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    45 minutes on the Elliptical this morning. Still no running due to shin splints. I think my $250.00 entry fee for the Half Ironman in September may be down the drain. :( I can't run. I haven't swam cuz I have a bad allergies or head/chest cold. Even the biking has slowed down due to the lingering crud I have. Feeling sorry for myself. Here it is the middle of summer and I don't feel like doing anything.

On the bright side the 105-110 heat index has gone away so if I do get to feeling better it won't be as miserably hot when I get out!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    polaris_x wrote:
    DonJon wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

cool - have you done it before? ... and what is your target time? ... any advice?

No sir I missed it last year. Some friends did it though and said a 'reasonable to good level of fitness and you'll be fine".. It took them 32 hours and they walked the whole way - no running. They only took 2 x 30 min breaks for a brief shut eye.

He said by far the hardest part was just the longevity on time on your feet. Wet feet, blister etc. Said drying out/airing the feet every few hours is crucial.

Also said that camaraderie was very important....they laughed and sang the entire way but reckon lots of other groups were arguing.

Best way to prepare was long walks on the weekends for several months before and have two pairs of runners that fit you better than a condom...dont rely on one pair.

Hope that helps......keep me informed can ya?

30 x 24in box jumps
    30 Wall Balls 10kg
    500m run
    4 sets

2 x 40 V Sit ups
    DonJon wrote:
    No sir I missed it last year. Some friends did it though and said a 'reasonable to good level of fitness and you'll be fine".. It took them 32 hours and they walked the whole way - no running. They only took 2 x 30 min breaks for a brief shut eye.

He said by far the hardest part was just the longevity on time on your feet. Wet feet, blister etc. Said drying out/airing the feet every few hours is crucial.

Also said that camaraderie was very important....they laughed and sang the entire way but reckon lots of other groups were arguing.

Best way to prepare was long walks on the weekends for several months before and have two pairs of runners that fit you better than a condom...dont rely on one pair.

Hope that helps......keep me informed can ya?

30 x 24in box jumps
    30 Wall Balls 10kg
    500m run
    4 sets

2 x 40 V Sit ups

thanks! ... much appreciated - we're all outdoorsy and hikers and we're pretty much going into this thing cold with little training ... we're going up next weekend to scout some of the trail that will likely do at night but aside from that - there really isn't much time to train ...

oh well - we'll see i suppose ... the tip on airing and drying out the feet is a great idea!! ... thanks again!

let me know how yours goes as well ... ours is at the end of the month ...
    for those of us that do wide grip pull ups.

i started a new style in my world trail, hang for 2 seconds between each pull up with arms fully extended. i can only do 12 right now.

getting ready for the flinthillsdeathride.com
    ajedigecko wrote:

Wow! That looks like an awesome ride. Have you done it before?

There is not a lot of course description on the website. It says 70ish miles of "off road." Then it says "road are rough." So is it on road or off roads? Is it single path mountain biking in part? Or all fire roads or something? Couldn't quite figure it out.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    ajedigecko wrote:

Wow! That looks like an awesome ride. Have you done it before?

There is not a lot of course description on the website. It says 70ish miles of "off road." Then it says "road are rough." So is it on road or off roads? Is it single path mountain biking in part? Or all fire roads or something? Couldn't quite figure it out.
    this will be my second time. the roads in this area of kansas are pretty much all fire roads that could be classified as single or double track.

when you get some time google........burning the flint hills, there are some great pictures.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    So today I went and swam some laps, for the first time in a LONG TIME!!!!!

I didnt throw up in the pool.
    Nobody had to use a defibrillator on me.
    Nobody harpooned me and screamed "thar she blows" as I was swimming.

So all in all....
    It was a good workout.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

So all in all....
    It was a good workout.

I'm trying to work my way into the pool becos my joints and hips are so fucked that i can't run anymore. But I'm a terrible swimmer... last time I tried, I almost died. one lap and I literally almost blacked out and they had no lifeguard at this gym. It WAS an olympic size pool and it was my first effort at real exercise after years of laziness and smoking, but still...

So all in all....
    It was a good workout.

I'm trying to work my way into the pool becos my joints and hips are so fucked that i can't run anymore. But I'm a terrible swimmer... last time I tried, I almost died. one lap and I literally almost blacked out and they had no lifeguard at this gym. It WAS an olympic size pool and it was my first effort at real exercise after years of laziness and smoking, but still...
    I have gone from year of laziness and smoking to working out....

about 15 times in my life....heheheheh

Swimming is basically all I can handle now...and its a fucking shame.....
    TOO MUCH wear and tear on my elbows and knees over the years has made me realize that, running, walking,and even lifting fucking weights is out of the question. So swimming it is. Two summers ago I swam 4-5 days a week for 10-12 weeks, and I was fucking shocked at how much better i felt. So today I decided its time for another 8 weeks of swimming. I only did 4 laps today and within 2 weeks I should be up to 10-15 laps. Then I just try to keep swimming for 20-30 minutes a day.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834

So all in all....
    It was a good workout.

I have gone from year of laziness and smoking to working out....

about 15 times in my life....heheheheh

Swimming is basically all I can handle now...and its a fucking shame.....
    TOO MUCH wear and tear on my elbows and knees over the years has made me realize that, running, walking,and even lifting fucking weights is out of the question. So swimming it is. Two summers ago I swam 4-5 days a week for 10-12 weeks, and I was fucking shocked at how much better i felt. So today I decided its time for another 8 weeks of swimming. I only did 4 laps today and within 2 weeks I should be up to 10-15 laps. Then I just try to keep swimming for 20-30 minutes a day.

Swimming is good for you. Hang in there old man. :)
    They(whoever the fuck they is) say that swimming is the BEST exercise. All I know is it is great for the heart, lungs, and every fucking muscle in your body. You probably are not going to lose much weight swimming, but I am pretty damned sure if you can keep it up for a year, you should be in pretty damned good shape.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    They(whoever the fuck they is) say that swimming is the BEST exercise. All I know is it is great for the heart, lungs, and every fucking muscle in your body. You probably are not going to lose much weight swimming, but I am pretty damned sure if you can keep it up for a year, you should be in pretty damned good shape.
    Very true! I know when I was swimming regularly it was the best shape I've ever been in. Plus, it's not an impact exercise so easy on the body. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834

Glad to hear and keep it up.
    I rode 45 miles yesterday on the bike. We had cool (low 80's) and overcast so it was a nice ride.

I swam 1,250 yards this morning at our newly re-opened pool. I had to take a couple of breaks though - actually three 30second breaks, but I am still getting over the crud. I swam even more slowly than usual too. Oh well, at least the pool is open and I am swimming.

So all in all....
    It was a good workout.

Congrats on the swimming. I never swam competitively and never took swimming lessons as a child, although I was in the water a lot. I am even a certified scuba diver (haven't done it since early 90's), but never learned to swim properly until about 3 years ago. I had a terrible time! I still am the slowest swimmer in the water, but trying to improve that. If you already have the proper form it won't take you very long at all to be Michael Phelps........ well, maybe not Michael Phelps, but better than me anyway.
    Filthy Fifties today.....aint done for about 6 months. Didnt time but was around the 28-30min mark

50 Box jump, 24 inch box
    50 Jumping pull-ups (did these kipped NOT jumped)
    50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
    Walking Lunge, 50 steps
    50 Knees to elbows
    50 Push press, 45 pounds
    50 Back extensions
    50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
    50 Burpees
    50 Double unders

Fun old workout....one of my favourites
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    I might have to steal that setlist above sometime before the summer is out..
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I've just started in the pool :D I haven't been in a swimming pool since I was about 12, and I've totally forgotten how to swim. There's a pool beside my house that does Aquafit classes, and while I may not lose too much weight from it, it's more to get me started on the track to exercising and getting into a routine! I'm feckin' huge so every little helps, and I really hate walking!

Wish me luck :mrgreen:
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    Jennytree wrote:
    I've just started in the pool :D I haven't been in a swimming pool since I was about 12, and I've totally forgotten how to swim. There's a pool beside my house that does Aquafit classes, and while I may not lose too much weight from it, it's more to get me started on the track to exercising and getting into a routine! I'm feckin' huge so every little helps, and I really hate walking!

Wish me luck :mrgreen:

Good luck. I think you are on the right track getting into a fitness routine. Once it becomes part of your routine it is much harder to stop. Also as you lose some weight it will be more fun to walk/run or ride a bike. Also keep in mind that weight training/strengthening kicks up your metabolism. I hate it, but I do it - not as regularly as I should though.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    DonJon wrote:
    Filthy Fifties today.....aint done for about 6 months. Didnt time but was around the 28-30min mark

50 Box jump, 24 inch box
    50 Jumping pull-ups (did these kipped NOT jumped)
    50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
    Walking Lunge, 50 steps
    50 Knees to elbows
    50 Push press, 45 pounds
    50 Back extensions
    50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
    50 Burpees
    50 Double unders

Fun old workout....one of my favourites

this is the kind of stuff im into. never done a wall shot. whats that?
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    it's not my daily workout, but i'm so proud of myself that I'm posting anyway! i recently started jogging....which I've never ever liked doing and have only done once in the past 6 years.... but last night, I needed to clear my head and jogged for 1.5 miles without stopping!! i had no idea that I could do it and felt so good...i think i know why people go for a run now!

my daily workout is regular ol' weights in the gym, squats, situps, etc...
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln