• yesterday, spent whole day in bed

this morning had a pt session

3 sets of
    - 15 * lat pull down @ 50kg
    - 15 * chest press on swiss ball @ 37.5kg

3 sets of
    - 8 push ups
    - 15 bent over rows with 37.5kg bar

30mins of streching focusing on the back as it is still a bit tight! grr as i need to start running again!
    Rod Laver Arena - Feb 18, 2003
    Rod Laver Arena - Nov 13, 2006
    Adelaide Oval - Nov 17, 2009
    Etihad Stadium - Nov 20, 2009
    BDO Melbourne - Jan 24, 2014
    New York - May 02 - 2016

Powered by Pearl Jam
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Good work wookie and Zig

RR good to hear about the stress fracture...top news. Keep me informed on the accuracy of the heart monitor can you. Im interested in getting one and have been for a while.

WELCOME theoceansmademe and double thumbs up for the triathlon. Let us know how you do.

TODAY
    10 x 90kg deadlifts
    500 row (in under 1.50min) aka a sprint
    5 sets with a 2 min break after row.

I laughed when I was told we were having breaks (coz I never do) after the row. Well fark me. This just drained me big time. Ive had HEAPS harder workouts but by the end of this I had nothing left. SPENT

Going from heavy lifting to VO2 max straight after one another!!!

Considering I did a VO2 type test one day to see how quick I could row 500m and from memory it was 1.33min, then doing the sub 1.50 each set after deadlifts….hmmm

Dare someone to give that a go and report back
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • DonJon wrote:
    Good work wookie and Zig

RR good to hear about the stress fracture...top news. Keep me informed on the accuracy of the heart monitor can you. Im interested in getting one and have been for a while.

WELCOME theoceansmademe and double thumbs up for the triathlon. Let us know how you do.

TODAY
    10 x 90kg deadlifts
    500 row (in under 1.50min) aka a sprint
    5 sets with a 2 min break after row.

I laughed when I was told we were having breaks (coz I never do) after the row. Well fark me. This just drained me big time. Ive had HEAPS harder workouts but by the end of this I had nothing left. SPENT

Going from heavy lifting to VO2 max straight after one another!!!

Considering I did a VO2 type test one day to see how quick I could row 500m and from memory it was 1.33min, then doing the sub 1.50 each set after deadlifts….hmmm

Dare someone to give that a go and report back

sounds like a fun work donjon, will try it on the weekend. though I am struggling to hang onto 80kg when i do deadlifts without the use of straps.

forgot to add to my workout I had to stop as I was very close to throwing up
    New York - May 02 - 2016

Powered by Pearl Jam
    Yeah dont use the straps coz you wont have time to get em off before the row. Gotta go straight into the row...not even 5 secs break. Maybe try it with 70kg?!?!?!

Ive ripped my callouses (sp?) apart from the DL's. Set 4 and 5 I had to regrip on rep 6.

The aim of this was to be as strict as possible with breaks..

Hahaha you're gonna die 8-)
  • zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    you two are kidding right?? 90kgs ... 70kgs ....

im happy that i do a 10kgs bar reguarly .... :?
    impatience is a gift ........
    I think thats what got me so hard. 90kg is close to my max (especially when doing functional training) so to go straight to a 500m sprint was a ball tearer.

This workout would not even rate to me as hard (mainly coz its so short) but I couldnt have done much more afterwards. It was just the combination!!!!!

EG I can do 90kg deadlifts then 15 chin ups and carrying that for 5 sets with NO break. This would be close to impossible to do 3 sets with even 30 sec breaks. Just the two different exercises together.

It shocked me BIG TIME...and thats coming from a seasoned veteran
  • Don Jon, thanks for the welcome and damn you guys are putting up some serious weight.

I have always been an endurance guy and never got into the upper body weight training. Maybe some day.

The legs and feet were a bit heavy this AM so taking the day off from running. I recently purchased Vibram fivefinger shoes. If you are unfamiliar it a rubber sole with coverage over the top of your foot and five toe holes.

The are design to give you the barefoot feeling when running.

Like any type of exercise one needs to take it slowly. I have been wearing them a few hours each day and about 3 weeks from now I'll take them on a trail run.

I came across these after reading reviews of the book Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Chris McDougall. I will read the book once it's available at my local library.

After years of foot pain the author "discovered" a native tribe in Mexico who ran in sandals without pain. He also explored the link between the modern running shoe and knee injuries. Pre-1970 runners used leather flats which lead to stronger feet. Which I am trying to achieve with my Vibram shoes.

The modern shoes are forcing our feet to land in position there aren't meant too, thus the injuries. I haven't experienced any major knee or foot injuries, but would like to avoid them.

Sorry for the rant, but worth exploring for the runners in the crowd.

Hoping to get some laps in today or later tonight.

Have a good one.
  • Reston Triathlon.

Northern Virginia, about 26 miles west of Washington, D.C.

1 mile swim

22 mile bike

6.2 mile run

My first triathlon after 12 years of marathons and ultra marathons

Just skipping over the sprints and right into the Olympic distance huh? I think I did a little indoor tri before I did the Memphis in May Olympic Distance. Which would have been o.k. if I knew how to swim. So I swam this way and that way and then this way again and finally finished! I have improved my swim but still slow.

Have you been doing some open water swims in preparation?

Is the swim in a lake or river?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Don Jon, thanks for the welcome and damn you guys are putting up some serious weight.

I have always been an endurance guy and never got into the upper body weight training. Maybe some day.

The legs and feet were a bit heavy this AM so taking the day off from running. I recently purchased Vibram fivefinger shoes. If you are unfamiliar it a rubber sole with coverage over the top of your foot and five toe holes.

The are design to give you the barefoot feeling when running.

Like any type of exercise one needs to take it slowly. I have been wearing them a few hours each day and about 3 weeks from now I'll take them on a trail run.

I came across these after reading reviews of the book Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Chris McDougall. I will read the book once it's available at my local library.

After years of foot pain the author "discovered" a native tribe in Mexico who ran in sandals without pain. He also explored the link between the modern running shoe and knee injuries. Pre-1970 runners used leather flats which lead to stronger feet. Which I am trying to achieve with my Vibram shoes.

The modern shoes are forcing our feet to land in position there aren't meant too, thus the injuries. I haven't experienced any major knee or foot injuries, but would like to avoid them.

Sorry for the rant, but worth exploring for the runners in the crowd.

Hoping to get some laps in today or later tonight.

Have a good one.

I have read about the show theories too, although I thought the tribe in Mexico ran barefooted. I have had injury after injury, let's see, plantar fasciitis (sp?), IT band inflammation, hip flexor issues, three sprained ankles, posterior tibial tendonitis, and now stress fracture. I would like to see a picture of your shoes. And then keep me updated on how they work out.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • riverrunner,

It's a lake swim for the triathlon.

This May I did a mile swim in the same lake, actually 1.5 miles if all my misdirections were taken into account.

It was a horrible experience at first. After 50 or so yards I wanted to get out, panic had set in. Thankfully my family and a neighbor were there cheering me on.

As you well know open water swimming is much different than the pool.

Unfortunately here in Northern Virginia open water swimming on lakes is not allowed. I believe mostly due to run-off concerns.

So all my training is done in the pool.

At the moment I am also concerned about water temperature. August was hot, near 90 degrees everyday, but the past 3 nights have been chilly. So I am sure the water temp is getting closer to 70 than 80. I want to avoid the wet suit, but that might not be realistic.

I thought about doing a sprint but have have done a few workouts at that distance and felt a better challenge would be the longer race.

In addition I have done 50 mile trail races, so my endurance is not in question.

However, I do realize swimming and biking will require different muscle groups than running alone.

My main goal is to finish in comfort with a secondary goal of trying to come in under 4 hours and maybe even under 3:30.

It will all depend upon my swim time. In May my time was 42:48. In the pool I am closer to 32:00.

Thanks for the interest.

How about you any races coming up?

How about shows? I will be attending 10/27 in Philadelphia.
  • river,

here's a link to the shoes I have, KSO or keep stuff out line:
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_KSO_m.cfm

Like you I have dealt with ITB issues, which was a result of too much down hill running. My first case came after a trip to Breckenridge, CO and the second after running hills in upstate New York. Time heals this but I now think the shoes played a role.

Also, I have experienced Plantar issues too. I am hoping these vibram's strengthen my foot.

The 2nd link has a photo of Scott Jurek (Ultra marathoning god) running with a mexican native, who is were sandals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html
  • river,

Like you I have dealt with ITB issues, which was a result of too much down hill running. My first case came after a trip to Breckenridge, CO and the second after running hills in upstate New York. Time heals this but I now think the shoes played a role.

Also, I have experienced Plantar issues too. I am hoping these vibram's strengthen my foot.

The 2nd link has a photo of Scott Jurek (Ultra marathoning god) running with a mexican native, who is were sandals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

All I can say is WOW. I will be checking that out. Before the stress fracture I was running in the Injinji toe socks and liked them.
  • riverrunner,

It's a lake swim for the triathlon. This May I did a mile swim in the same lake, actually 1.5 miles if all my misdirections were taken into account. It was a horrible experience at first. After 50 or so yards I wanted to get out, panic had set in. Thankfully my family and a neighbor were there cheering me on. As you well know open water swimming is much different than the pool. Unfortunately here in Northern Virginia open water swimming on lakes is not allowed. I believe mostly due to run-off concerns. So all my training is done in the pool. At the moment I am also concerned about water temperature. August was hot, near 90 degrees everyday, but the past 3 nights have been chilly. So I am sure the water temp is getting closer to 70 than 80. I want to avoid the wet suit, but that might not be realistic. I thought about doing a sprint but have have done a few workouts at that distance and felt a better challenge would be the longer race. In addition I have done 50 mile trail races, so my endurance is not in question. However, I do realize swimming and biking will require different muscle groups than running alone. My main goal is to finish in comfort with a secondary goal of trying to come in under 4 hours and maybe even under 3:30. It will all depend upon my swim time. In May my time was 42:48. In the pool I am closer to 32:00. Thanks for the interest. How about you any races coming up?

How about shows? I will be attending 10/27 in Philadelphia.

Too bad that you can't do more open water swimming. We have several options here in Southern Illinois/ Western Kentucky including Kentucky Lake/Barkley Lake/Ohio River if brave enough. I have been doing my open water swims in a nearby subdivision lake and a friend's pond (long and deep) in the morning before work. We did an open water swim in Lake Michigan while there for the PJ shows last week. Temp was 65 - no wetsuit. I did a sprint tri in Carbondale, IL (Doc Spackman) at the end of April where the water was very, very cold too. No wetsuit. In shorter distances you can make it in cold water without a wetsuit. I really don't mind swimming in cold water. The Memphis in May Tri's are usually right on the edge of wetsuits being allowed. Of course most people want to use the wetsuits because you have the buoyancy edge and the aero edge. Why don't you want to use your wetsuit? And yes, they are a pain in the butt.

Hubby and I have been training for the Augusta Half IronMan, but due to the stress fracture I won't be able to run (my best discipline - my swimming really sucks - my biking is mediocre). However, the IronMan powers that be let me convert to a team tri so a friend who just finished IronMan Kentucky will be running for me. Husband will be completing the entire tri - hopefully. He doesn't train - he just muddles through triathlons.

Have you been doing brick workouts? I usually do, but haven't bothered this summer since I can't run. I don't think it does any good to do a swim to bike brick. If you haven't been doing them, I would recommend that you do some bricks - bike to run. I think it helps because it is very difficult to get off the bike and start running. Amazingly so.

As to PJ shows we have been under some intense peer pressure to go to Philly, but I am still reluctant. We went to Chicago, and are going to St. Louis for the Tour of Missouri this next week, and then to Augusta for the Half IronMan at the end of September. We need to stay home some.
  • river,

do the shoes help? as my feet suffer badly when I train for marathons? I always thought it was the shoes not having enough support?
    New York - May 02 - 2016