***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I will bet you my new car that howard doesn't hit 300 for the season. there is no fucking way in hell that happens. zero chance

if the bet is your car, i will take that in a heart beat.

by the way, you should just enjoy howard for what he is, one of the most prolific power hitters in this 130 year old franchise's history. he's got his flaws, sure. but you might as well try to enjoy this while it last's man. just think back to the mid to late nineties for a second........feel better now?

enjoy what while it lasts? the fact that we have an overpaid 1B that can't hit lefties, throw a ball 90', or scoop balls my dog can pick?

in case you haven't realized, the phils history isn't exactly loaded with great players. to say howard is the most prolific power hitter in the team's history isn't saying much. and that fact doens't make it OK that the team ridiculously gave him that absurd contract last month.

they should be giving utley a lifetime contract for whatever amount of money he wants. that dude is the best phillie ever. period

wow.

just, wow.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    Not to get back into this discussion or anything but Ryan Howard is going to be getting paid more annually than Joe Mauer
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Not to get back into this discussion or anything but Ryan Howard is going to be getting paid more annually than Joe Mauer

worst. contract. ever
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I will bet you my new car that howard doesn't hit 300 for the season. there is no fucking way in hell that happens. zero chance

by the way, you should just enjoy howard for what he is, one of the most prolific power hitters in this 130 year old franchise's history. he's got his flaws, sure. but you might as well try to enjoy this while it last's man. just think back to the mid to late nineties for a second........feel better now?

enjoy what while it lasts? the fact that we have an overpaid 1B that can't hit lefties, throw a ball 90', or scoop balls my dog can pick?

in case you haven't realized, the phils history isn't exactly loaded with great players. to say howard is the most prolific power hitter in the team's history isn't saying much. and that fact doens't make it OK that the team ridiculously gave him that absurd contract last month.

they should be giving utley a lifetime contract for whatever amount of money he wants. that dude is the best phillie ever. period

uh no Utley is not the best Phillie ever by a long shot. Mike Schmidt won multiple MVPs, hit over 500 home runs (before steroids and short parks) and was one of the greatest defensive 3Bs of all time. Utley is great but does not reach Schmidt's level. I saw Schmidt in his prime when I was a kid, did you or do you just assume Utley is better?

and Ryan Howard has won 1 mvp and was 2nd in voting another time. Utley hasn't really come close. Love Utley and think he is awesome but to say emphatically that he is the best Philly ever is absurd. would it kill Chase to hit .330 or hit 40-50 homers? He has done neither yet. in no way am I disparaging Utley - just saying he has had some darn good years but never really a dominant season like Howard has.
    pjhawks wrote:

uh no Utley is not the best Phillie ever by a long shot. Mike Schmidt won multiple MVPs, hit over 500 home runs (before steroids and short parks) and was one of the greatest defensive 3Bs of all time. Utley is great but does not reach Schmidt's level. I saw Schmidt in his prime when I was a kid, did you or do you just assume Utley is better?

and Ryan Howard has won 1 mvp and was 2nd in voting another time. Utley hasn't really come close. Love Utley and think he is awesome but to say emphatically that he is the best Philly ever is absurd. would it kill Chase to hit .330 or hit 40-50 homers? He has done neither yet. in no way am I disparaging Utley - just saying he has had some darn good years but never really a dominant season like Howard has.

yeah, I grew up watching schmidt too. utley plays a premium defensive position and he's a better hitter. home runs are shiny and nice, but I'll take the guy that hits for average and power, and plays great defense at a premium position...not to mention utley's incredible OBP and baserunning. utley helps the phillies win more than any other player in team history

people love to look at homers and RBI. there is much more to baseball than that.

mvp and individual awards are stupid...they are voted on by sportswriters that have no clue what they're talking about. Jimmy Rollins won an MVP too...do you think that makes him better than utley? derrek jeter has never won an MVP...is rollins better than jeter because rollins has won an MVP? of course not. those awards are meaningless. a couple of years ago edinson volquez got 10 votes for NL ROY...he wasn't even eligible for the award.

rating players based on awards is just plain weak
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Dude, this dude's older than us. Of course he saw Michael Jack in his prime. Fixer, not trying to call out your age, just sayin'....

And by the time Utley's done - barring no injuries - Chase WILL be the best Phillie of all time. The dude bleeds baseball more than Pete Rose. I saw, and you, saw Mike Schmidt play when his best days were behind him. Still have my bat from Mike Schmidt bat day. Oh, and Schmidt's lifetime average is something like .268 or something(off the top of my head). To compare them defensively is totally different. Chase could be a potential 30/30 guy if he wasn't in the 3 hole. When Chase's career is over, he'll be the most prolific player that has walked between those lines for this team. Watch. I've jinxed him now. If Roy Halladay wasn't on this team, I wouldn't mind making out with that guy either. Shmitty IS the best 3rd baseman to play baseball - and nobody give me this Brooks Robinson BS. But by the time A-Rod is done, he could claim fame for being the best 3RD AND shortstop to play the game - steroids and all. And, like I said, barring any injuries, Utley could quite possibly be the best 2nd baseman to ever play the game - better than Robinson, Sandberg, Alomar or Morgan. There. I said it.

Oh, and to say anything along the lines about Howard to the tune of "At the end of the year he pops 45 homers and drives in 130, blah blah blah". I used to hear the same thing about Burrell - at the end of the year drives in 100 and hits 30 homers. Big woop. I wouldnt want him on my team if I had the choice. Howard is much better than Burrell, but to make this basis of why I want him on my team is ludicrous.

Oh, and on an unrelated/related note - does anybody else get the feeling that Pujols doesn't respect Howard as a player? Cause I do. I have a feeling he laughs at him. At best, he loves him now because he made the slot machines start ringing a year early.
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

yeah, I grew up watching schmidt too. utley plays a premium defensive position and he's a better hitter. home runs are shiny and nice, but I'll take the guy that hits for average and power, and plays great defense at a premium position...not to mention utley's incredible OBP and baserunning. utley helps the phillies win more than any other player in team history

people love to look at homers and RBI. there is much more to baseball than that.

mvp and individual awards are stupid...they are voted on by sportswriters that have no clue what they're talking about. Jimmy Rollins won an MVP too...do you think that makes him better than utley? derrek jeter has never won an MVP...is rollins better than jeter because rollins has won an MVP? of course not. those awards are meaningless. a couple of years ago edinson volquez got 10 votes for NL ROY...he wasn't even eligible for the award.

OBP - ok mr. Moneyball

and Utley doesn't come close to playing 'great' defense - he is good but has occasional steve sax type throws (although no one is as bad as Howard throwing) - do you forget the playoff game Chase blew last year because he couldn't make a throw from 2nd base, 2 in a row in fact?

again not tyring to put Utley down as I think he is awesome - but just disputing some of your above comments.

oh and call me crazy but I don't think Derek Jeter has ever been much better, if at all, than Jimmy Rollins. Jeter is slightly better offensively (but of course you are all about OBP) but Rollins is much better defensively in my opinon. Rollins almost never makes a defensive mistake.

Dude, this dude's older than us. Of course he saw Michael Jack in his prime. Fixer, not trying to call out your age, just sayin'....

I could care less. I just turned 33. I still look like I'm 25 and I act like I'm 21.

If I were pujols I wouldn't respect howard either...since he's 2 million times better

agree with everything else you said

And by the time Utley's done - barring no injuries - Chase WILL be the best Phillie of all time. The dude bleeds baseball more than Pete Rose. I saw, and you, saw Mike Schmidt play when his best days were behind him. Still have my bat from Mike Schmidt bat day. Oh, and Schmidt's lifetime average is something like .268 or something(off the top of my head). To compare them defensively is totally different. Chase could be a potential 30/30 guy if he wasn't in the 3 hole. When Chase's career is over, he'll be the most prolific player that has walked between those lines for this team. Watch. I've jinxed him now. If Roy Halladay wasn't on this team, I wouldn't mind making out with that guy either. Shmitty IS the best 3rd baseman to play baseball - and nobody give me this Brooks Robinson BS. But by the time A-Rod is done, he could claim fame for being the best 3RD AND shortstop to play the game - steroids and all. And, like I said, barring any injuries, Utley could quite possibly be the best 2nd baseman to ever play the game - better than Robinson, Sandberg, Alomar or Morgan. There. I said it.

Oh, and to say anything along the lines about Howard to the tune of "At the end of the year he pops 45 homers and drives in 130, blah blah blah". I used to hear the same thing about Burrell - at the end of the year drives in 100 and hits 30 homers. Big woop. I wouldnt want him on my team if I had the choice. Howard is much better than Burrell, but to make this basis of why I want him on my team is ludicrous.

Oh, and on an unrelated/related note - does anybody else get the feeling that Pujols doesn't respect Howard as a player? Cause I do. I have a feeling he laughs at him. At best, he loves him now because he made the slot machines start ringing a year early.

i am older most likely than you guys - "the young they can lose hope because they can't see beyond today, the wisdom that the old can't give away"

do you think albert laughs at Ryan on the golf course in october/november when Ryan is playing for championships every year?

Burrell hit 30 homers during the steroid era when guys where routinely hitting 50-60. Howard hits 45 when maybe 2 or 3 other players in baseball are doing it. BIG difference.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

OBP - ok mr. Moneyball

and Utley doesn't come close to playing 'great' defense - he is good but has occasional steve sax type throws (although no one is as bad as Howard throwing) - do you forget the playoff game Chase blew last year because he couldn't make a throw from 2nd base, 2 in a row in fact?

again not tyring to put Utley down as I think he is awesome - but just disputing some of your above comments.

oh and call me crazy but I don't think Derek Jeter has ever been much better, if at all, than Jimmy Rollins. Jeter is slightly better offensively (but of course you are all about OBP) but Rollins is much better defensively in my opinon. Rollins almost never makes a defensive mistake.

rollins is much better than jeter defensively. no argument there. Jeter is still a much, much better all around player

I also agree that utley fights his throws at times (playoff game vs LA is a perfect example). check out some of the defensive metrics that are out there though (some are admittedly flawed)...utley ranks miles ahead of other 2B in baseball. his defense is severely underrated

OBP = most important offensive stat in baseball. truth
    pjhawks wrote:

i am older most likely than you guys - "the young they can lose hope because they can't see beyond today, the wisdom that the old can't give away"

do you think albert laughs at Ryan on the golf course in october/november when Ryan is playing for championships every year?

Burrell hit 30 homers during the steroid era when guys where routinely hitting 50-60. Howard hits 45 when maybe 2 or 3 other players in baseball are doing it. BIG difference.

Huh? Burrell was hitting 30 up until 2008. As Howard was doing the same. Huh? So?

And let's not get ahead of ourself as Albert's been playing for titles a lot longer than Howard, and they both have the same amount of rings and pennants mind you. All I'm saying is people(fans from other teams as well as the players) fear Utley the way they fear Pujols. People don't fear Howard the same way. Do they respect him, especially against righties? Of course, but Utley is a grinder the way Albert is and not Howard. The comparison of Utley/Pujols far outweighs the comparison of Howard/Pujols. Utley is the single most important part to this lineup. Above and beyond the rest.
    pjhawks wrote:

Huh? Burrell was hitting 30 up until 2008. As Howard was doing the same. Huh? So?

And let's not get ahead of ourself as Albert's been playing for titles a lot longer than Howard, and they both have the same amount of rings and pennants mind you. All I'm saying is people(fans from other teams as well as the players) fear Utley the way they fear Pujols. People don't fear Howard the same way. Do they respect him, especially against righties? Of course, but Utley is a grinder the way Albert is and not Howard. The comparison of Utley/Pujols far outweighs the comparison of Howard/Pujols. Utley is the single most important part to this lineup. Above and beyond the rest.

just look at howards BB rates. they have gone down every year because he doesn't adjust. teams used to pitch around him (pre-werth), now they just bring in LH relievers and go after him, knowing they can get him out.

I'd be willing to bet that howard is among the worst in MLB at scoring a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs. he BLOWS in these situations. this is another reason why RBI are so stupid. pujols would get 200 RBI a year in the phils lineup
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,338
    I second that Utley's defense is vastly underrated. He is a gold-glove caliber second baseman.

This team really needs Rollins to be healthy this year - they have no swagger without him.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    pjhawks wrote:

Woop, looks like I got sucked back into this one. This is a joke right? It must be.

Slightly better offensively?

1. Jeters career BA is 14 points lower than Rollins career OBP
    2. Rollins has had 200 hits in exactly 1 season, Jeter 7.
    3. Rollins has never hit over .300, Jeter has only been undet .300 3 times.
    4. 5 World Series Rings
    5. On his way to 3,000 hits and Cooperstown

I could go on and on in every category. Any other numbers you would like to see? Oh, you would like to see post season number, I thought you would never ask.

Jeter has a career BA of .313 in 13 post seasons, Rollins .231 in 3, .383 OBP to .297

Oh, are you also aware that Albert Pujols has played in 24 more post season games than your boy Ryan Howard?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Woop, looks like I got sucked back into this one. This is a joke right? It must be.

4. 5 World Series Rings

I could go on and on in every category. Any other numbers you would like to see? Oh, you would like to see post season number, I thought you would never ask.

Jeter has a career BA of .313 in 13 post seasons, Rollins .231 in 3, .383 OBP to .297

Oh, are you also aware that Albert Pujols has played in 24 more post season games than your boy Ryan Howard?

statistics lie. i don't need stats to tell me what I see with my own two eyes.
    edited May 2010
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

4. 5 World Series Rings

statistics lie. i don't need stats to tell me what I see with my own two eyes.

Oh jesus, here we go again with this. I will ask this again, how many non phillies games do you watch? And if you want to just go by what your eyes tell you, you must be watching something the rest of the world isn't because Jeter has been one of the most clutch (i also highely dislike the term clutch) players of the past 20 years.

How exactly do your eyes tell you that Jeter is just "slightly" better than rollins offfensively? What does he do better offensively? Examples would be wonderful.

You want to know what stats lie? RBI's AND FUCKING HOME RUNS!!! BA, OBP and OPS do not!. That is the fucking purpose of them.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Want to know what my eyes have told me?

the+flip.jpg

derek-jeter-dive-into-stands1.jpg

10103682.jpg

maier-738528.jpg

12042882.jpg

You get the point...
    I am done with this, sorry to all the other phillies fans about the Jeter pictures, just wanted to make a point. Done with this arguement.

Dude, you are completely blind to anything non philies. You are the same guy that said when all is said and done, Howard may be better than Ted Williams. I get it, you like the current Phillies, I like a lot of their players as well, but there is no reason to try and compare Howard to Pujols or Rollins to Jeter. It just does not make sense.

That is all.
    Dude, seriously, Rollins better than Jeter? Come on. Let's put it this way - I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, HAAAAATE the Yankees. But I like Derek Jeter.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,777
    Will someone please WAKE UP the Phillies offense! Thank you.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    edited May 2010
    Will someone please WAKE UP the Phillies offense! Thank you.

no shit, this is tough to watch. need this mets series to end ASAP.

long season. ibanez, what the fuck are you doing trying to steal 2nd? I guess his brain is failing him, just like his hitting ability

and I consider jeter and griffey the 2 best players of the last 20 years (sans-juice). rollins is better than jeter defensively, but the total packages aren't even comparable.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You are the same guy that said when all is said and done, Howard may be better than Ted Williams.

please tell me this didn't happen
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Edit: According to you, Ryan Howard is better than Ted Williams. Ted William only hit 40 HR's once and had 140 RBI's twice. Answer my question, is Ryan Howard better than Ted Williams?

never saw Ted Williams play so can't say for sure. who knows by the time Howard is done he just may be .

Paraphrased
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Janitor metsy reporting for duty

:mrgreen:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Well.....I......I.....I don't - there's nothing to say.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

after all this period of time i relieved 1 thing your clueless. Your posts seriously hurt to read,u seem like a good dude but please stop embarssing yourself.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Yeah, except for the fact he's right, jearlpam and fixer know their baseball
    Cliff, why did you include a picture of Jeremy whatever his name is who robbed the O's of a game? I read a thing that that kid's all growns up now and working for the Red Sox. Talk about irony. Well, more poignant irony is if he was working for the O's, but you get the point...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

after all this period of time i relieved 1 thing your clueless. Your posts seriously hurt to read,u seem like a good dude but please stop embarssing yourself.

:lol::lol:
    chase utley is better than mike schmidt.
    derrick favors is a better pick than evan turner.
    donovan mcnabb stinks.

atta way fixer! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumbup: :wave:
    www.myspace.com
    :idea:
    Cliff, why did you include a picture of Jeremy whatever his name is who robbed the O's of a game? I read a thing that that kid's all growns up now and working for the Red Sox. Talk about irony. Well, more poignant irony is if he was working for the O's, but you get the point...

the jeffery maier hit was a huge hit regardless of whether is should have been a home run or not. It was called a HR and is a huge home run in his career.

I didn't hear he was working for the bosox. Last time I saw him he was playing collge ball at some small school. I think he was on that god awful show first take or cold pizza
This discussion has been closed.