***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    edited May 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I still suck at quoting

and at the rules of fandom...apparently.

I love how you try to annoint yourself as the authority on fan rules. then you're the first one on the flyers bandwagon.

epitome of a hypocrite
    :lol:
    i am the foremost expert on this topic my friend.

as you can see in that flyers thread i even admitted that i could be perceived as fraudulent about jumping on the flyers bandwagon. i am a four for four guy but have never been able to get into hockey despite many tries. so when it's spring time, it's hockey time. (also--i hardly post in that thread anways)

gotta call 'em like i see 'em.

eitherway, you're way off base with your assesment on the college issue here.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I disagree. I went to baseball camp at PSU when I was in high school. that's the same as you shooting hoops at a college near your house. My wife went to school at PSU (I even have an PSU alumni credit card because we get ridiculous bonus points on that account). And I go to a PSU home football game every year. But I still didn't go to school there, so I don't pretend like I'm a PSU fan.

This argument is stupid...I'm not telling you who you can or can't root for. I just think it makes people look like poseurs when they pretend to be die hard fans of universities they didn't attend.

going to a baseball camp there once when you're in highschool and it being your wife's alma mater is not even close to me growing up a few minutes down lancaster avenue from the nova campus. this is an argument you are not equipped to win. we might as well call it at this point....
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    metsfan wrote:
    As I walking down the escalator from gates 70-76 I heard a let's go flyers chant, so I yelled from the top of my lungs let's go rangers and bout 10 other people joined in and we quickly drowned out the flyers chant. You don't come to rangers arena and pull that shit.

fraudulent
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    WILL YOU ALL SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!

...Hey, guys. How's it goin?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    81 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    As I walking down the escalator from gates 70-76 I heard a let's go flyers chant, so I yelled from the top of my lungs let's go rangers and bout 10 other people joined in and we quickly drowned out the flyers chant. You don't come to rangers arena and pull that shit.

fraudulent

Stalking much

What are you jiggy's VP
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

come on dude. it's a spirited debate about sports frauds. this thread has been both informative and entertaining the last few days :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    Five pressing questions about Phillies
    POSTED: May 25, 2010 By PAUL HAGEN

The season is a quarter spent. Many baseball people say it takes 50 games to get a feel for a team; that arbitrary milestone looms in a week. As the Phillies get ready to open a series tonight against the New York Mets at Citi Field, here's a look at the questions, concerns and issues facing the defending National League champions:

1Is the starting pitching good enough?

Good enough to make the playoffs? Probably. Roy Halladay is Roy Halladay, despite a tough go of it his last time out. Cole Hamels seems to be getting himself together. Jamie Moyer is having another amazing renaissance and Joe Blanton is solid and dependable.

At the same time, Moyer is 47 years old. So you never know. And J.A. Happ remains a significant question mark with a left forearm strain. So there have to be worries about whether the rotation has the depth to withstand the rigors of a land-mined season and still go deep into the postseason or even make it back to the World Series for the third straight year.

2 Will they add a starter before the July 31 nonwaiver trading deadline? After all, they've made an in-season move (Moyer, Kyle Lohse, Blanton, Cliff Lee) each of the last 4 years.

Don't hold your breath. The Phillies made their headline acquisition for 2010 last December when they got Halladay. And forget all this speculation about getting Lee back for the stretch drive if the Mariners fall out of contention.

If Seattle does decide to trade Lee, who can be a free agent at the end of the season, they'll want a decent package of prospects in return. And don't forget, one of the stated reasons for flipping him in the first place was to begin restocking a farm system that has been ransacked in deals that helped the Phillies win three straight division titles.

In short, the Phillies don't appear to have the minor leaguers it would take to make a deal for Lee or any other top-flight starter.

The best option might just be a return engagement for Pedro Martinez, who, according to reports, hasn't ruled out pitching again.

3 Will Brad Lidge return as the closer?

If he can, it would be a nice boost. But at this point, it would have to be considered a bonus.

Lidge will throw bullpens tonight and Thursday in New York. If all goes well, he could start a rehab assignment this weekend. Lidge said the elbow inflammation that landed him on the disabled list for the second time this season is gone and that he's confident that problem is now behind him.

We'll see. The reality is that it's been almost a year-and-a-half since Lidge has been consistently effective. Until he proves he's back in actual games, it's hard to count on him.

That, and the fact that setup man Ryan Madson is sidelined by a broken right big toe, are why rumors like the one that had the Phillies scouting White Sox relievers Bobby Jenks and J.J. Putz are likely to continue to surface for a while.

4 How much concern should there be over shortstop Jimmy Rollins?

A lot. It's not just that he has strained his right calf twice now. It's that he has done it in mundane ways. Limbering up before a game. Running to first on a basehit. So even if he comes off the disabled list in 2 weeks and it doesn't bother him again all season, it's got to be in the back of the Phillies' minds that it could pop again at any time.

And everybody understands how much Rollins brings to the team.

5 Who's the key hitter to watch the rest of the season?

Leftfielder Raul Ibanez. In his first 62 games with the Phillies, he batted .312 with 22 homers and 59 RBI. Then he went on the disabled list with what was described at the time as a strained left groin. He came back on July 11, played hurt the rest of the year and had surgery to repair a sports hernia at the end of the season.

In 114 games since he came back from the DL, he's hitting .237 with 15 homers and 54 RBI.

Whether he can bounce back will help determine not only how well the offense functions for the remainder of the season, it could well impact how the Phillies approach negotiations with potential free agent Jayson Werth.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    metsfan wrote:
    81 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

fraudulent

Stalking much

What are you jiggy's VP

I agree total fraud move

It's not even your team..why do you give a rats ass ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    I give a rats ass cause I hate everything philly and my 83 year old grandpa is a die hard rangers fan since the old garden. So I do have some sort of connection to the rangers.

1-0 mets

:mrgreen:

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,777
    this game is ugh-lee :roll:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

come on dude. it's a spirited debate about sports frauds. this thread has been both informative and entertaining the last few days :mrgreen:

YOU ESPECIALLY.

Carry on...
    metsfan wrote:
    81 wrote:

Stalking much

What are you jiggy's VP

I agree total fraud move

It's not even your team..why do you give a rats ass ?

can't believe i am saying this but i actually concur with the mets/cowboys fan on this one. had it been at the wachovia center with people chanting "let's go rangers"--you know the phily faithful would have drowned them out with flyers chants.

nothing fraudulent here. him being a cowboys fan....well.... :lol:
    www.myspace.com

can't believe i am saying this but i actually concur with the mets/cowboys fan on this one. had it been at the wachovia center with people chanting "let's go rangers"--you know the phily faithful would have drowned them out with flyers chants.

did you miss the fact that mr metsy started the lets go rangers chant?

suppose you were in dallas and somebody started a lets go redskins chant, would you reply back with a lets go cowboys?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

suppose you were in dallas and somebody started a lets go redskins chant, would you reply back with a lets go cowboys?

if it's in your home building and others are chanting another team's name, i see no problem with the locals trying to drown them out with the home team's chant.

whether metsfan is a fraudulent rangers fan remains to be seen. on the surface, though, i don't think we have an issue here...
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:

if it's in your home building and others are chanting another team's name, i see no problem with the locals trying to drown them out with the home team's chant.

whether metsfan is a fraudulent rangers fan remains to be seen. on the surface, though, i don't think we have an issue here...

i agree with the real Rangers fan chanting. that makes perfect sense. but for people that are not rangers fans to start chanting is fraudulent.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    this game is ugh-lee :roll:
    and the phils will still win the nl east so all this is water under the bridge really. look at what the phils are with jroll and without. do you really think if jroll was in that game last night the mets would have steamrolled over them, doubt it.

i grew up watching rangers game whenever i went to my grandparents house which was alot in my younger days. i am a islanders fan cause my parents took me to alot islanders game and they are the local team. also my parents are born and raised on long island unlike my grandpa whose from brooklyn.

Welp....this is what I would call a stone cold losing streak, gentlemen.

I know, I know - feast or famine with this team, but this is just getting downright ridicurous.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,777
    Welp....this is what I would call a stone cold losing streak, gentlemen.

I know, I know - feast or famine with this team, but this is just getting downright ridicurous.

+1 what is this like 2 games without scoring a run? Hopefully they can salvage tomorrow's game :roll:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,222
    First time the Phillies have been shutout consecutively against the Mets since July 17-18, 1998. Your starting pitching matchups for those games at Shea were the following:

Carlton Loewer vs. Hideo Nomo
    Tyler Green vs. Al Leiter
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    First time the Phillies have been shutout consecutively against the Mets since July 17-18, 1998. Your starting pitching matchups for those games at Shea were the following:

carlton loewer...HAAAAAAAAAAAA

almost as bad as getting shut out by a dude named dickey

ryan howard was great again tonight...so glad the phils overpaid him for 5 more years. 2 nights in a row he couldn't get a dude home with less than 2 outs and a guy on third. and my dog could have scooped that ball on that sick play utley made...then utley gets an error (proof that stat means nothing). for whatever reason people think howard's defense has improved. if you watch the games you'll see he's still a pear with seal hands. I still think he's really right handed in the field...someone needs to tell him to try playing 1B with the glove on his other hand. fucking brutal. I puke in my mouth a little bit every time I think of that contract
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,222
    The Fixer wrote:

carlton loewer...HAAAAAAAAAAAA

almost as bad as getting shut out by a dude named dickey

ryan howard was great again tonight...so glad the phils overpaid him for 5 more years. 2 nights in a row he couldn't get a dude home with less than 2 outs and a guy on third. and my dog could have scooped that ball on that sick play utley made...then utley gets an error (proof that stat means nothing). for whatever reason people think howard's defense has improved. if you watch the games you'll see he's still a pear with seal hands. I still think he's really right handed in the field...someone needs to tell him to try playing 1B with the glove on his other hand. fucking brutal

Well the Mets know that feeling. Two years ago on the night Pearl Jam played at MSG, RA Dickey shut them out as a member of the Seattle Mariners, who were the worst team in baseball at the time.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    more reasons to hate the ryan howard contract and the Lee trade. way to go amaro, you turd. (for the new phillie fans, BP is Baseball Prospectus -- a renowned baseball publication)

Kevin Goldstein at BP gives Singleton a little love in his daily posting.

An 8th-round pick last year out of a Southern California high school, Singleton had classic first base tools, including plenty of raw power, but also enough hitting mechanics to project as a high-average hitter, but he was also seen as extremely raw. A surprisingly good debut last year excited the Phillies, and after spending the first part of the year in extended spring training, the team opted to test him at Low-A instead of the New York-Penn League, and he’s responded by going 19-for-44 (.432) with 34 total bases in his first 13 games. There’s explosive potential here.

To balance out this love, he gives a pessimistic assessment of the 3 guys the phils received for Cliff Lee. To sum up his points, basically none of the 3 have gotten off to awesome starts. Aumont’s velo is down with his new mechanics, Gillies has been hurt, and Ramirez still hasn’t shown much progress with his secondary pitches.
    fixer would have been one of those idiots booing mike schmidt and ron jaworski back in the day. i am now convinced of it. funny how he wasn't lambasting howard a week ago when he was hitting .312. he conveniently waits for the entire team to go into their usual late may/june tailspin, and there he is again like clockwork. :clap::clap::clap: :roll:

anywho...

another big test for cole today. gotta stop the bleeding.
    GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    fixer would have been one of those idiots booing mike schmidt and ron jaworski back in the day. i am now convinced of it. funny how he wasn't lambasting howard a week ago when he was hitting .312. he conveniently waits for the entire team to go into their usual late may/june tailspin, and there he is again like clockwork. :clap::clap::clap: :roll:

anywho...

GO. PHILS.

Howard can be frustrating at times but end of the year he will have around 45 home runs and knock in about 140 runs. relax people, every team in baseball goes through stretches like this. hell it seems like the Phils go through this may-june every year. still in 1st place. ligthen up.
    pjhawks wrote:

anywho...

GO. PHILS.

Howard can be frustrating at times but end of the year he will have around 45 home runs and knock in about 140 runs. relax people, every team in baseball goes through stretches like this. hell it seems like the Phils go through this may-june every year. still in 1st place. ligthen up.

more importantly, though, it looks like he'll be around .300 for average too. he doesnt even heat up till june/july and he's already hovering around there.
    www.myspace.com

anywho...

GO. PHILS.

he was hitting over 300 in the middle of may? holy shit, he is awesome. he had a decent month and a half.

baseball is more than just batting average bro. howard has been horrendous in the field this year (as always)

his contract might be the worst in sports
    pjhawks wrote:

anywho...

GO. PHILS.

RBI don't mean anything...just that there were guys on base a lot when he came up.

howard is the most overrated player in baseball
    pjhawks wrote:

anywho...

GO. PHILS.

more importantly, though, it looks like he'll be around .300 for average too. he doesnt even heat up till june/july and he's already hovering around there.

I will bet you my new car that howard doesn't hit 300 for the season. there is no fucking way in hell that happens. zero chance
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

I will bet you my new car that howard doesn't hit 300 for the season. there is no fucking way in hell that happens. zero chance

if the bet is your car, i will take that in a heart beat.

by the way, you should just enjoy howard for what he is, one of the most prolific power hitters in this 130 year old franchise's history. he's got his flaws, sure. but you might as well try to enjoy this while it last's man. just think back to the mid to late nineties for a second........feel better now?
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

if the bet is your car, i will take that in a heart beat.

by the way, you should just enjoy howard for what he is, one of the most prolific power hitters in this 130 year old franchise's history. he's got his flaws, sure. but you might as well try to enjoy this while it last's man. just think back to the mid to late nineties for a second........feel better now?

enjoy what while it lasts? the fact that we have an overpaid 1B that can't hit lefties, throw a ball 90', or scoop balls my dog can pick?

in case you haven't realized, the phils history isn't exactly loaded with great players. to say howard is the most prolific power hitter in the team's history isn't saying much. and that fact doens't make it OK that the team ridiculously gave him that absurd contract last month.

they should be giving utley a lifetime contract for whatever amount of money he wants. that dude is the best phillie ever. period
This discussion has been closed.