***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,339
    jimed14 wrote:
    I just posted on facebook that Dice K had a no no going. Guess i jinxed it :lol:

I spent 2 hours trying to jinx it. Wouldve been luckiest no hitter ever.

I didn't see the game, why would it have been "lucky"?

Doubt it would have been the luckiest ever, certainly not over this one ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14

Here's the Box Score ... 8 walks and a hit batter ...... on LSD. :mrgreen:

Yeah, wouldn't have been luckier than that one, but still kind of lucky: 4 walks, 2 ridiculous line drive double plays, some nice plays in the OF and a screaming line drive back at Dice-K that caught his glove. Tip my hat, he pitched a nice game, and our 6th starter sucked. Hopefully Doc takes 2 of 3 for us today.

Don't look now, but the NL has a small lead in interleague play. Let's enjoy it while we can!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    and our 6th starter sucked.

Feel free to check out my comments on Kyle Kendrick throughout this thread ... glad the Sox didn't let me down in beating him up.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,513
    jimed14 wrote:

Yeah, wouldn't have been luckier than that one, but still kind of lucky: 4 walks, 2 ridiculous line drive double plays, some nice plays in the OF and a screaming line drive back at Dice-K that caught his glove. Tip my hat, he pitched a nice game, and our 6th starter sucked. Hopefully Doc takes 2 of 3 for us today.

Don't look now, but the NL has a small lead in interleague play. Let's enjoy it while we can!

what "6th" started doesn't suck? :mrgreen:
    tip your cap. lucky or not, we only got 1 hit. it happens.

in the mean time...

Happy Halladays everyone! hopefully the weather holds up for his 7th victory of the year today :thumbup: :wave:

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I'm in favor of saying "we, our" etc. if you play a role in financially supporting the team. So, I'm a ticket holder for Phillies & Temple Owls b-ball, so those are "my" teams.

Nice trapeze act by Contreras yesterday...

I have phils season tix as well. and they are my team. but I'm not part of the team, so I never use 'we, us, our'. I'm not on the team, I root for the team
    edited May 2010
    by the way...

i am insanely jealous of you bastards who went to msg last night. that setlist looks absolutely filthy.

great 2 nights...nyc is awesome. and msg makes the spectrum look like the vet (and the spectrum is great for concerts). amazing place
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    pjhawks wrote:
    I'm in favor of saying "we, our" etc. if you play a role in financially supporting the team. So, I'm a ticket holder for Phillies & Temple Owls b-ball, so those are "my" teams.

Nice trapeze act by Contreras yesterday...

Speaking of people who use 'nation' isn't Nova Nation fn annoying as hell? Man I hate those arrogant sobs.

Only good thing about tickets to Temple bball is they sell beer at the Liacouris Center. At least now I can tolerate your coach, Dunph is the man. although would it kill him to win a tourny game?

totally agree about nova. bunch of snobs. 2,000 person student body and everyone loves them. how can you love a school that costs 40K a year if you didn't go there? it all goes back to the fact that philly fans aren't that bright
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    If, come a month from now, the ChiSox are out of it and the Phils are still honing in on Jenks, what do they give up for him though? Isn't the cupboard pretty bare? Are they willing to take low A prospects, or do they deal something already on their Major League roster? Pretty interesting. And I don't want anything to do with Putz.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    If, come a month from now, the ChiSox are out of it and the Phils are still honing in on Jenks, what do they give up for him though? Isn't the cupboard pretty bare? Are they willing to take low A prospects, or do they deal something already on their Major League roster? Pretty interesting. And I don't want anything to do with Putz.

you don't want Jenks. You'd be better served getting Sergio
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

I cringed when I saw these rumors. I don't want either guy. All of the phils prospects are in low A ball (except for Dom Brown, who isn't going anywhere).

Still plenty of time to add pieces to the bullpen
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

totally agree about nova. bunch of snobs. 2,000 person student body and everyone loves them. how can you love a school that costs 40K a year if you didn't go there? it all goes back to the fact that philly fans aren't that bright

if philly fans aren't bright, you're an absolute idiot if this is your position.

what could the cost of tuition possibly have anything in the world to do with people rooting for them or not? do you think all duke fans who were raised in the vicinity of the college but did not attend there for one reason or another are not bright either?

this line of thinking is idiotic at best.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

if philly fans aren't bright, you're an absolute idiot if this is your position.

what could the cost of tuition possibly have anything in the world to do with people rooting for them or not? do you think all duke fans who were raised in the vicinity of the college but did not attend there for one reason or another are not bright either?

What school in the PAC10,BIG10,SEC isn't 40k a year ?

I guess only the alumni should be able to root for them ?

:eh: :wtf:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The Fixer wrote:

out on a shaky limb with this one, he is...
    www.myspace.com

[/quote]

um, most of the schools in those conferences are public schools and cheap for in state students, which is why the student bodies are so large (ohio st, penn st, florida st, etc). of course there are some private schools and exceptions like vanderbilt, northwestern, stanford, duke, and florida...but most of the larger schools are cheap for state residents.

I do generally agree that only alumni should be die hard fans of collegiate teams. especially elitist schools like villanova and duke
    The Fixer wrote:
    um, most of the schools in those conferences are public schools and cheap for in state students, which is why the student bodies are so large (ohio st, penn st, florida st, etc). of course there are some private schools and exceptions like vanderbilt, northwestern, stanford, duke, and florida...but most of the larger schools are cheap for state residents.

I do generally agree that only alumni should be die hard fans of collegiate teams. especially elitist schools like villanova and duke

what does tuition have to do with one's rooting interest though?

and, check the fraud thread, your theory about college rooting interests is incorrect and ultimately flawed.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

what's idiodic is people from the philly area rooting for duke if they didn't attend school there (or have some kind of connection with the school -- ie, work/teach there, have a kid that goes there, etc).
    The Fixer wrote:

and, check the fraud thread, your theory about college rooting interests is incorrect and ultimately flawed.

1 - why root for a school with a student body full of rich, elitists?

2 - I have no idea what you're talking about with the fraud thread. I don't understand how someone can say they have a favorite college team if they didn't go to school at said college. It's the equivalent of rooting for a pro team from texas or california if you live in philly. doesn't make sense
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

1 - why root for a school with a student body full of rich, elitists?

2 - I have no idea what you're talking about with the fraud thread. I don't understand how someone can say they have a favorite college team if they didn't go to school at said college. It's the equivalent of rooting for a pro team from texas or california if you live in philly. doesn't make sense

1 - you have some jealousy issues you need to resolve.
    2 -A. not everyone is able to attend college.
    B. thousands of people attend non division 1 schools. these people are free to root for any division 1 school they want with a few caveats: I-it has to be in your home same state or city or....II-you have to have some kind of relationsship to it ie: your father, brother, mother, uncle went there and you grew up rooting for that school.

what is fraudulent is, say, being from around here and choosing to root for the university of miami or something simply because they were good when we were growing up.

see, college rooting interests are not nearly as cut and dry (or idiotic) as you mentioned. i thought you've posted in the fraud thread before. maybe not...

in my case, i am a nova fan because i grew up 5 minutes from the campus and used to sneak into the dupont as a kid to shoot hoops. i am, in effect, a nova towny. been a fan since i can remember. the fact that i attended fricking bloomsburg university or that nova costs 40k a year has absoluley no bearing what so ever in me or anyone else rooting for them. same goes for any other fan of any other college.

try again.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

what's idiodic is people from the philly area rooting for duke if they didn't attend school there (or have some kind of connection with the school -- ie, work/teach there, have a kid that goes there, etc).

correct.
    that was not the crux of your apparent point here though... :problem:
    www.myspace.com

B. thousands of people attend non division 1 schools. these people are free to root for any division 1 school they want with a few caveats: I-it has to be in your home same state or city or....II-you have to have some kind of relationsship to it ie: your father, brother, mother, uncle went there and you grew up rooting for that school.

what is fraudulent is, say, being from around here and choosing to root for the university of miami or something simply because they were good when we were growing up.

see, college rooting interests are not nearly as cut and dry (or idiotic) as you mentioned. i thought you've posted in the fraud thread before. maybe not...

in my case, i am a nova fan because i grew up 5 minutes from the campus and used to sneak into the dupont as a kid to shoot hoops. i am, in effect, a nova towny. been a fan since i can remember. the fact that i attended fricking bloomsburg university or that nova costs 40k a year has absoluley no bearing what so ever in me or anyone else rooting for them. same goes for any other fan of any other college.

try again.

nah man, I'm not jealous of anyone. I have done quite well for myself and I have no qualms about where I went to school or where I ended up career-wise.

the college thing is the same premise as you calling your teams 'us, we, our'...people feel the need to associate themselves with things they aren't necessarily a part of. don't you feel awkward when you watch nova hoops games with alumni from that school? how do you feel a connection to a school you didn't attend?

the only time I root for schools I didn't attend is if I have money on them (which happens every saturday during college football season).

I'm not trying to offend anyone or sound like an a-hole...this is just my opinion, I'm not saying it's right or wrong.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

agree on Duke if you are from Philly and cheer for Duke you are a fraud. But I find nothing wrong with cheering for local college teams even if you didn't go there. Not sure where you are from but Philly college hoops is pretty strong with 6 Division 1 teams and lots of coverage. so there are lots of fans of teams who didn't attend the schools.

as for my original comments about arrogant Nova fans it has absoltely nothing to do with tuition or costs and everything to do with their fans believing their program is Duke, North Carolina and Kansas. although I will say a good portion of their students are the punk north jersey/new york preppy kids who could use a good ass-kicking most of the time. the only good thing about Nova is they always had hot girls there.

back to the Phillies - don't worry about this offense - it will be fine. with all the injuries still up 3.5 games.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    The Fixer wrote:

try again.

nah man, I'm not jealous of anyone. I have done quite well for myself and I have no qualms about where I went to school or where I ended up career-wise.

the college thing is the same premise as you calling your teams 'us, we, our'...people feel the need to associate themselves with things they aren't necessarily a part of. don't you feel awkward when you watch nova hoops games with alumni from that school? how do you feel a connection to a school you didn't attend?

the only time I root for schools I didn't attend is if I have money on them (which happens every saturday during college football season).

I'm not trying to offend anyone or sound like an a-hole...this is just my opinion, I'm not saying it's right or wrong.

I see both sides of this argument. I am a huge Penn State fan because of a family connection. My moms entire side of her family went to Penn State and has had season tickets my whole life. My 99 year old grandfather has gone to almost every game for many many many years and continues to go, although i think last year was probably his last year goign on a regular basis. That said, I do feel a bit silly at times in and around Philly wearing Penn State gear when I didn't go there and there are so many grads in and around town. People see you in a hoodie or somethign and assume you are an alum. I went to a D2 school so don't have any connection to any other school and have a huge connection to Penn Sate. Shit, I am comfortable saying I have been to more Penn State football games than 95% of the alumni in Philadelphia.

Jeags obviously has a connection to Nova and it makes sense. A kid who grew up in State College and went away to school would obviously be a Penn State fan so I don't see any difference with Jeags situation.

I do agree that you should have some connection to the school to be a huge fan of that schools teams.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

try again.

I see both sides of this argument. I am a huge Penn State fan because of a family connection. My moms entire side of her family went to Penn State and has had season tickets my whole life. My 99 year old grandfather has gone to almost every game for many many many years and continues to go, although i think last year was probably his last year goign on a regular basis. That said, I do feel a bit silly at times in and around Philly wearing Penn State gear when I didn't go there and there are so many grads in and around town. People see you in a hoodie or somethign and assume you are an alum. I went to a D2 school so don't have any connection to any other school and have a huge connection to Penn Sate. Shit, I am comfortable saying I have been to more Penn State football games than 95% of the alumni in Philadelphia.

Jeags obviously has a connection to Nova and it makes sense. A kid who grew up in State College and went away to school would obviously be a Penn State fan so I don't see any difference with Jeags situation.

I do agree that you should have some connection to the school to be a huge fan of that schools teams.

my wife went to PSU, but I would never pretend to be a fan of that school. Her and her friends organize a trip to a football game every year. It's always a fun weekend, but I don't root for PSU. I really don't like Big 10 football...I think that conference is a joke. PSU's out of conf schedule is usually a big joke. Can't wait for the bama game this year...I heard it's being shown on comedy central.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

agree on Duke if you are from Philly and cheer for Duke you are a fraud. But I find nothing wrong with cheering for local college teams even if you didn't go there. Not sure where you are from but Philly college hoops is pretty strong with 6 Division 1 teams and lots of coverage. so there are lots of fans of teams who didn't attend the schools.

as for my original comments about arrogant Nova fans it has absoltely nothing to do with tuition or costs and everything to do with their fans believing their program is Duke, North Carolina and Kansas. although I will say a good portion of their students are the punk north jersey/new york preppy kids who could use a good ass-kicking most of the time. the only good thing about Nova is they always had hot girls there.

back to the Phillies - don't worry about this offense - it will be fine. with all the injuries still up 3.5 games.

grew up in south jersey...went to college in baltimore (towson, which is D-1 in every sport but football, where they are 1-AA. this is the school I root for in all college sports)...moved to philadelphia and lived in the city for 5 years...married and now live out in havertown. So I'm aware of the college hoops scene in philly.

My college decision came down to Towson or Rutgers...I chose towson because of the 6-1 girl to guy ratio. No regrets...the girls at towson are incredible.

The line about the Nova students is classic...and I agree
    I still suck at quoting
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    The Fixer wrote:

my wife went to PSU, but I would never pretend to be a fan of that school. Her and her friends organize a trip to a football game every year. It's always a fun weekend, but I don't root for PSU. I really don't like Big 10 football...I think that conference is a joke. PSU's out of conf schedule is usually a big joke. Can't wait for the bama game this year...I heard it's being shown on comedy central.

I think there is a difference when your connection to the school is as a kid and when it is older. I am sure if you grew up going to the games of a certain school on a regular basis as a kid you would be a fan of that school, regardless if you went there.

Big 10 had a pretty good showing in the bowl games last year.
    edited May 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

comparing rooting for your wife's alma mater verses rooting for a school that someone has had a relationship with in one way or another for his entire life is like comparing apples to filet mignion. come on dude. you look foolish here.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    I still suck at quoting

and at the rules of fandom...apparently.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    I still suck at quoting

I love how you try to annoint yourself as the authority on fan rules. then you're the first one on the flyers bandwagon.

epitome of a hypocrite
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

comparing rooting for your wife's alma mater verses rooting for a school that someone has had a relationship with in one way or another for his entire life is like comparing apples to filet mignion. come on dude. you look foolish here.[/quote]

I disagree. I went to baseball camp at PSU when I was in high school. that's the same as you shooting hoops at a college near your house. My wife went to school at PSU (I even have an PSU alumni credit card because we get ridiculous bonus points on that account). And I go to a PSU home football game every year. But I still didn't go to school there, so I don't pretend like I'm a PSU fan.

This argument is stupid...I'm not telling you who you can or can't root for. I just think it makes people look like poseurs when they pretend to be die hard fans of universities they didn't attend.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I still suck at quoting

I love how you try to annoint yourself as the authority on fan rules. then you're the first one on the flyers bandwagon.

epitome of a hypocrite

LMFAO

GO METS
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

This discussion has been closed.