***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    technically you can put any player at any position. That doesn't mean they are going to be adequate there though. I know werth has played CF at times, but have you seen him play there? there was a spring game vs the yanks this year where he misplayed about 4 balls in CF. He isn't that good of a defensive RF to begin with...him in center would be a disaster. he can play there for an inning or two...or maybe even a game if the phils are desperate...but to have him as the CF going into a season would not work. werth can't play CF

It's a moot point...victorino isn't going anywhere. ibanez is the one they might have a shot to move after this year since he only has one year left on his deal. if the phils are willing to eat the majority of that money and take a low grade prospect, they might find a team that would take him. it would be addition by subtraction (just like the abreu trade...which was one of the best trades in phillies history)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Lol let me guess some dumb new age stats told u that.what are they called jibberishmatics :)

The red sox claim they have one but are also leading the league in errors this year (although errors only count balls you get to).

Even errors are a terrible judge of defensive ability. Most errors are judgement calls. And there are certain types of plays that should be errors, but aren't (like a botched DP, or when an OF misplays a fly ball. ryan howards specialty is fucking up DP balls when there is a guy on first and he has to make that throw to second...I swear he's gonna get rollins killed one day).

Funny that boston is leading the league though...they built their team on pitching and defense this year. I despise the red sox. They are my 2nd most hated team after the mets. I don't understand why everyone loves the red sox...they have about 4 million fans. and that sweet caroline crap is the gayest thing of all time...funny that they embraced a song performed by a New Yorker.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,521
    The Fixer wrote:
    technically you can put any player at any position. That doesn't mean they are going to be adequate there though. I know werth has played CF at times, but have you seen him play there? there was a spring game vs the yanks this year where he misplayed about 4 balls in CF. He isn't that good of a defensive RF to begin with...him in center would be a disaster. he can play there for an inning or two...or maybe even a game if the phils are desperate...but to have him as the CF going into a season would not work. werth can't play CF

no.

he could play center field, especially with a full spring training under his belt to work out the kinks. he started about 30 games there for us in '08 when shane was out and played well enough. also played there a bit when he was on the dodgers. he's a good enough fielder and athlete to do it. he would not be gold glove level obviously, but he would be adequate out there.

it is a moooo point though. i don't see us trading victorino.

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

no.

he could play center field, especially with a full spring training under his belt to work out the kinks. he started about 30 games there for us in '08 when shane was out and played well enough. also played there a bit when he was on the dodgers. he's a good enough fielder and athlete to do it. he would not be gold glove level obviously, but he would be adequate out there.

GO. PHILS.

completely disagree

werth came up as a catcher...do you think he can play there too?
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

no.

GO. PHILS.

completely disagree

Honestly they need to keep him this lineup needs him

I'd hate to see him walk

Has he or his agent even said what kind of money hes looking for ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,958
    The Fixer wrote:
    no.

GO. PHILS.

completely disagree

I'd hate to see him walk

The collective thinking is take Jason Bay's contract, and that is the starting point. And he's definitely better than Jay Bay.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

no.

GO. PHILS.

completely disagree

not very well considering he hasn't played an inning there in 7 or 8 years.

come on dude.
    www.myspace.com

completely disagree

I'd hate to see him walk

Has he or his agent even said what kind of money hes looking for ?[/quote]

The collective thinking is take Jason Bay's contract, and that is the starting point. And he's definitely better than Jay Bay.[/quote]

if the howard extension taught us anything it's that anything can happen.
    www.myspace.com
    thats a BAD quoting job
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

GO. PHILS.

completely disagree

I'd hate to see him walk

His agent has said that werth is the only 5 tool OF on the open market this winter. Carl Crawford is largely considered to be the top free agent, but werth's agent has speculated that werth should be paid more. Sounds like his demands are gonna be pretty tough for the phils to meet.

I'd love to see him back too
    The Fixer wrote:

no.

GO. PHILS.

completely disagree

come on dude.

you brought up him playing CF while with LA. I'm just saying that there is no way in hell werth could play CF every day. He's a short term solution there, but long term he'd be a mess out there
    thats a BAD quoting job

HAAAA!

I've been practicing

Off to pittsburgh to visit some friends...then tomorrow to cleveland for sunday's concert. Road trips are awesome.

completely disagree

if the howard extension taught us anything it's that anything can happen.

yeah, really. even a moyer CG shutout.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    Congrats to Moyer for pitching a 2 hit complete game shutout and becoming the oldest pitcher to do so. :D:clap:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

completely disagree

come on dude.

you brought up him playing CF while with LA. I'm just saying that there is no way in hell werth could play CF every day. He's a short term solution there, but long term he'd be a mess out there

well the catcher thing was yeeeeeaaaaars ago. cf was just a couple seasons ago. if him making the switch from catcher to right field shows you anything, it shows you that he's one hell of an athlete. probably the best athlete on the team. no doubt he can play center, despite a bad game there one day in march.

regardless, a mooo point. no sense in going back in forth with it.

hopefuylly they find a way to re-sign him. he's their mvp so far this year.

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    Congrats to Moyer for pitching a 2 hit complete game shutout and becoming the oldest pitcher to do so. :D:clap:

i heard moyer was "aids."

no?

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780

no?

:? ok you lost me.

Good win today. Great job by the bullpen. 0 hits in 4 innings :clap: Although the first two outs by Lidge in thw ninth were saved by the wind, I'll take it.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    RESPECT
    THE
    BEARD.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    www.myspace.com

no?

he is. atlanta almost got no hit by scott olsen (who blows) last week too. they aren't hitting at all.

moyer still stinks...he won't be in the rotation all year (unless someone gets hurt, which would suck)
    The Fixer wrote:

no?

he is. atlanta almost got no hit by scott olsen (who blows) last week too. they aren't hitting at all.

moyer still stinks...he won't be in the rotation all year (unless someone gets hurt, which would suck)

well you know what i think of him.

gotta give the man credit though. that was a hell of an effort from a dude pushing 50.
    www.myspace.com
    RESPECT. THE. BEARD.

Werth named NL Player of the Week
    Phillies rightfielder Jayson Werth was named the National League Player of the Week.

Werth led the National League with four home runs and 25 total bases last week. His four doubles were good for second and his nine RBI tied for second. Among the four homers was the 100th of his career, coming Sunday against Atlanta.

He hit .360 (9-25) on the week with a 1.000 slugging percentage and a .407 on-base percentage.

Werth has now reached base safely in 30 of his 31 games this year and is third in the NL with a .349 batting average. His 16 doubles lead the majors.

This is his second career player of the week award. He also won for Aug. 17-23, 2009.
    www.myspace.com
    RESPECT. THE. BEARD.

Werth named NL Player of the Week
    Phillies rightfielder Jayson Werth was named the National League Player of the Week.

Werth led the National League with four home runs and 25 total bases last week. His four doubles were good for second and his nine RBI tied for second. Among the four homers was the 100th of his career, coming Sunday against Atlanta.

He hit .360 (9-25) on the week with a 1.000 slugging percentage and a .407 on-base percentage.

Werth has now reached base safely in 30 of his 31 games this year and is third in the NL with a .349 batting average. His 16 doubles lead the majors.

This is his second career player of the week award. He also won for Aug. 17-23, 2009.

Sign'em !!!

Utley is so fucking good. it's an honor to watch him every day.
    CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH.

:thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
    So just like that, Lidge is having a problem with his elbow. Terrific.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    84 home games for the Phillies. Selig is a fucking moron.
    So just like that, Lidge is having a problem with his elbow. Terrific.

The best line I heard about Lidge recently...

"Everytime he comes out to pitch his check engine light is on.."

:roll:

Cliffy6745 wrote:

he really is. I'm a phils fan and even I think this is BS
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

HA! Just got the email from the Phillies. So will the Phils wear their away jerseys because TO is considered the home team and they'll be using the DH? Bizarre. Sucks for TO people who were looking forward to Doc coming back.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sweet !

I may have to get tickets for that series

:thumbup:

This discussion has been closed.