***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    The Fixer wrote:

sure. do you remember when yankee fans booed jeter? sorry, I love bringing that up. if that happened in philly, the fans would be tarred and feathered. it happens in NY or boston and everyone forgets about it. I think philly fans are idiots, but they're no worse than boston or NY

Jeter has never been booed heavily at Yankee stadium. Some clowns sure, but nothing more.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Binoculars to steal signs? Really?

remember the yanks accused the phils of this during the WS? posada was on the mound so much that series I thought he was a pitcher.

seems like teams have accused the phils of doing this each of the last few years. who knows, maybe it's true. what's worse, stealing signs or having an entire team full of juiceheads?

I do. A couple of my friends from here were complaining about posada but whatever, it worked out.

Steroids argument, really?
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

sure. do you remember when yankee fans booed jeter? sorry, I love bringing that up. if that happened in philly, the fans would be tarred and feathered. it happens in NY or boston and everyone forgets about it. I think philly fans are idiots, but they're no worse than boston or NY

Jeter has never been booed heavily at Yankee stadium. Some clowns sure, but nothing more.

just saying that anything crowd-related in philly is overblown...even though there are a lot of morons at the games here
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

just saying that anything crowd-related in philly is overblown...even though there are a lot of morons at the games here

I meant to say that in my post. Just like many philly situations, that was overblown.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Steroids argument, really?

why not? it's cheating right?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,958
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

INCONCLUSIVE.

EDIT: On that note - did I ever mention how much I love this hick? "Why the Phillies been accused of stealing signs? Manuel said, 'Because we beat them. That's why. Keep crying." http://www.the700level.com/2010/05/quot ... ealin.html

Remember when this entire city hated him, called him a moron on a daily basis and wanted him fired? I do.

I do, I do. And the entire city didn't hate him. Don't base your judgments on WIP, and people who liked the Phillies only when the Eagles weren't playing. They're the same people who thought Bobby Abreu was a franchise player.

Oh, and hey, remember when Yankee fans blindly followed their team? Wait, that's every year.
    The Fixer wrote:

But how are the Yankees full of juiceheads? We are talking about now right? Not when the entire fucking league was one roids.

Arod and Pettitte? Pettitte took HGH and Arod took steroids. Seems to me your team is the only one with someone who was suspended under the current rules.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

But how are the Yankees full of juiceheads? We are talking about now right? Not when the entire fucking league was one roids.

Arod and Pettitte? Pettitte took HGH and Arod took steroids. Seems to me your team is the only one with someone who was suspended under the current rules.

so you're going to say romero's offense was worse than Arod or pettite's? come on man, those titles your team won are tainted and you know it

personally I don't know how anyone can root for A-Rod. If there's a bigger poseur in sports I'd love to see it
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

so you're going to say romero's offense was worse than Arod or pettite's? come on man, those titles your team won are tainted and you know it

personally I don't know how anyone can root for A-Rod. If there's a bigger poseur in sports I'd love to see it

Point is, they were not suspended under the current rules. Arod was on a list of 104 players that tested positive, thats a lot. If the Yankees titles in the 90's were tainted, every title in the 90's is tainted. You are crazy if you think players on every single team were not taking steroids.

Edit: And the big steroid guys didn't get to the Yankees until the early 2000's for the most part.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,521
    edited May 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

also, I remember a lot of yankee fans that wanted girardi canned shortly after he got hired too. Let's be fair here

it did take the man a solid 2 years to figure out the dreaded double switch :mrgreen:
    also--a lot of the early frustration was that he was chosen over jim leyland...
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Remember when this entire city hated him, called him a moron on a daily basis and wanted him fired? I do.

steroids arguement is moot - everyone was doing it during the 90s so no one really had an advantage there.

can't wait for the 1st moron to compare it to Bill Bellichek and the Pats even though the Pats were taping PRACTICES and were actually disciplined for it.

still not a big fan of Charlie here - remember ole Charlie did start our 5th starter (or even possibly are 6th starter) 2 times in the world series as our arguably 2nd and 3rd (Happ and Blanton) best regular season starters were relegated to the bullpen for the playoffs last year. Blanton definitely should have been pitching ahead of Pedro in the playoffs. Happ I can at least see the point since we needed another lefty in the bullpen. no sane reason for Pedro over Blanton last year though - none. If the Phils don't win another one in the next few years history will look back upon that decision and realize what a bad move it was.
    lidge back to philly to see the doctor....not good....
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

still not a big fan of Charlie here - remember ole Charlie did start our 5th starter (or even possibly are 6th starter) 2 times in the world series as our arguably 2nd and 3rd (Happ and Blanton) best regular season starters were relegated to the bullpen for the playoffs last year. Blanton definitely should have been pitching ahead of Pedro in the playoffs. Happ I can at least see the point since we needed another lefty in the bullpen. no sane reason for Pedro over Blanton last year though - none. If the Phils don't win another one in the next few years history will look back upon that decision and realize what a bad move it was.

I agree with this. I preferred blanton over pedro too. and happ was just awful in the playoffs, he wasn't a choice to start in the WS.

manuel is an average manager. the players like him, which accounts for something I guess. he's not a good strategic guy though
    lidge back to philly to see the doctor....not good....

he's done.

rollins back on monday. ruiz just left game going 1st to 3rd. hoover is only catcher they've got for a game and a half.

Jeags, maybe your boy werth will get to catch after all
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

steroids arguement is moot - everyone was doing it during the 90s so no one really had an advantage there.

case in point: 2/3's of our '93 were on them....doh!
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Point is, they were not suspended under the current rules. Arod was on a list of 104 players that tested positive, thats a lot. If the Yankees titles in the 90's were tainted, every title in the 90's is tainted. You are crazy if you think players on every single team were not taking steroids.

Edit: And the big steroid guys didn't get to the Yankees until the early 2000's for the most part.

all I'm saying is that if you're gonna poke fun at the phils for stealing signs via binoculars, you need to look in the mirror. the yanks were the poster boys for steroids and HGH (clemens, arod, pettite, knoblauch, etc).

seems like every team but the phils had someone named...that pissed me off more than anything. if everyone else is doing it, I want my team to be doing it too. Then again, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the '93 team had it's share of guys sticking needles in their asses
    Howard is so bad in the field. I think he's RH in the field and he doesn't know it. No way anyone is that poor of a thrower with their natural hand. He just cost Halladay a win
    The Fixer wrote:

all I'm saying is that if you're gonna poke fun at the phils for stealing signs via binoculars, you need to look in the mirror. the yanks were the poster boys for steroids and HGH (clemens, arod, pettite, knoblauch, etc).

seems like every team but the phils had someone named...that pissed me off more than anything. if everyone else is doing it, I want my team to be doing it too. Then again, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the '93 team had it's share of guys sticking needles in their asses

I honestly dont give a shit if teams steal signs, I don't think it should be done via binoculars or cameras though.

And yeah, the Yanks had a lot of people who got outed for roids but it is what it is. Every team had players that were taking them. I would honestly put the % at much higher than has been said.

There was a segement on 60 minutes a couple weeks ago about college kids and adderral that was really interesting and directly relates to baseball and steroids. They are doing it to stay up and get an edge on everyone else, no? They take aderrall, study more, get a better job than others who didn't. No different.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

INCONCLUSIVE.

EDIT: On that note - did I ever mention how much I love this hick? "Why the Phillies been accused of stealing signs? Manuel said, 'Because we beat them. That's why. Keep crying." http://www.the700level.com/2010/05/quot ... ealin.html
    so inconclusive that mlb is reviewing the tapes right now as we speak. Also I love the cheap shot grandpa charlie made. Why the hell is he so concerned with a team that's choked every year since 06 nlcs and haven't done shit since 00 and are now 4.5 games back and probably will be 12 games back by august. Shut up and enjoy being the next joe torre. Wow that's mets are actually playing good at home, big deal.

batters and teams have been stealing signs since the birth of baseball, wow big deal. Its only an issue cause people love to look for any reason to bash on the phillies. It was the same thing with the pats and spygate. If the marlins or twins did this you'd hear very little bout it in the media. I bet espn has spent 20 hours on this "story" so far.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

the darren daulton hour on 97.5 is a helluva way to kill the drive home from work.

that is one wacky dude and he knows his baseball. give it a go if you haven't heard it yet.
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    He was in Exton about a month ago signing autographs at Winner's Circle. Didn't go though.

Go Phills, hopefully they can split the doubleheader.

Chooch and Lidge hurt? :(
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

INCONCLUSIVE.

so inconclusive that mlb is reviewing the tapes right now as we speak. Also I love the cheap shot grandpa charlie made. Why the hell is he so concerned with a team that's choked every year since 06 nlcs and haven't done shit since 00 and are now 4.5 games back and probably will be 12 games back by august. Shut up and enjoy being the next joe torre. Wow that's mets are actually playing good at home, big deal.

batters and teams have been stealing signs since the birth of baseball, wow big deal. Its only an issue cause people love to look for any reason to bash on the phillies. It was the same thing with the pats and spygate. If the marlins or twins did this you'd hear very little bout it in the media. I bet espn has spent 20 hours on this "story" so far.

I agree...I'm sick of hearing about this sign stuff.

Love your signature...haha
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    the darren daulton hour on 97.5 is a helluva way to kill the drive home from work.

that is one wacky dude and he knows his baseball. give it a go if you haven't heard it yet.
    I met and talked with ricky bo in the spectrum parking lot when pj was playn and the phillies were playn the yankees. me,
    is dutch a complete quack cause he sure as hell comes a cross as one. Ricky bo daultons crazy and i can't stand him. Word for word, cracked me up and he also called him a nut job.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Soooooo, I just received my invoice for my recently added Sunday game from the Blue Jays' home series against the Phils to my Sunday plan. Man, now multiply that by all the other season ticket holders. Totally not fair, but totally what Selig wanted - if it's not gonna be played in Toronto, then he wants to make the almighty dollar. And where else would a Toronto home series against the Phillies sell out? Why, in Philly of course. Hysterical.

I met and talked with ricky bo in the spectrum parking lot when pj was playn and the phillies were playn the yankees. me,
    is dutch a complete quack cause he sure as hell comes a cross as one. Ricky bo daultons crazy and i can't stand him. Word for word, cracked me up and he also called him a nut job.

that's pretty funny. botalico was probably pissed because he stole some of his air time on post game live during the playoffs though
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Ya know there is not one shred of evidence that they were stealing signs !

PhilsBinoculars.jpg

Ummm....he's clearly bird watching
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    he's watching the chick with huge cans sitting behind the plate.
    www.myspace.com
    doesn't look like this topic is going away any time soon...

We now hear people in baseball casually refer to Amaro's right fielder, Jayson Werth, as the next $100 million player. And that's a price tag that a team already on the hook for nearly $232 million in salary beyond this season will have a tough time meeting.

Werth

But what executives on other teams keep pointing out is that baseball is now immersed in its biggest shortage of right-handed power outfield bats in decades. And that could make Werth even more valuable -- and more indispensible to his current employers.

Last season, remember, there were only four right-handed-hitting outfielders in the whole sport (besides Werth) who hit 30 home runs -- Ryan Braun, Jason Bay, Nelson Cruz and Michael Cuddyer. And none will be available any time soon.

There were only six others who even hit 25 homers -- Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Jermaine Dye, Carlos Lee, Hunter Pence and Juan Rivera. And of that group, Dye can't find a job now, Lee and Rivera are defensively challenged, and the other three would be impossible to trade for. So if Werth hits the market, it's tough to see the Phillies winning an auction that would almost certainly include the Yankees, Red Sox and many other bidders.

"There were two guys like that [Bay and Matt Holliday] out there last winter, and they both signed for significant dollars," said one GM. "And I don't know that there was anyone else. The game goes in cycles sometimes. Sometimes you can't find shortstops. Sometimes you can't find catchers. And now the cycle is, you can't find right-handed power hitters. So to get one, you've got to pay through your teeth for it. That's just where we're at."
    The Fixer wrote:

We now hear people in baseball casually refer to Amaro's right fielder, Jayson Werth, as the next $100 million player. And that's a price tag that a team already on the hook for nearly $232 million in salary beyond this season will have a tough time meeting.

Werth

But what executives on other teams keep pointing out is that baseball is now immersed in its biggest shortage of right-handed power outfield bats in decades. And that could make Werth even more valuable -- and more indispensible to his current employers.

Last season, remember, there were only four right-handed-hitting outfielders in the whole sport (besides Werth) who hit 30 home runs -- Ryan Braun, Jason Bay, Nelson Cruz and Michael Cuddyer. And none will be available any time soon.

There were only six others who even hit 25 homers -- Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Jermaine Dye, Carlos Lee, Hunter Pence and Juan Rivera. And of that group, Dye can't find a job now, Lee and Rivera are defensively challenged, and the other three would be impossible to trade for. So if Werth hits the market, it's tough to see the Phillies winning an auction that would almost certainly include the Yankees, Red Sox and many other bidders.

"There were two guys like that [Bay and Matt Holliday] out there last winter, and they both signed for significant dollars," said one GM. "And I don't know that there was anyone else. The game goes in cycles sometimes. Sometimes you can't find shortstops. Sometimes you can't find catchers. And now the cycle is, you can't find right-handed power hitters. So to get one, you've got to pay through your teeth for it. That's just where we're at."

gonna have to ask you to start sourcing your articles...
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

Werth

gonna have to ask you to start sourcing your articles...

Seriously. A works cited page, if you will...
This discussion has been closed.